Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #16  
Workin' It

Hulu is on the computer, or on some devices that can be connected to the tv. Like a Roku box - which we also have. It can stream Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Prime Video On Demand and some other services. I can also stream Hulu+ on my iPhone and iPad. It is $9.99 per month I think, but it is cheaper than my cable subscription.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #17  
Just watch me ...

Shannon, I'm going to look into that....

Last edited by Exhale15; 04-03-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #18  

Height: 5'9"

Usually I watch:
Walking Dead
Fringe
How I Met Your Mother
Mike and Molly
Family Guy

OMG I love Fringe!!!!! Sorry off topic, just had to say that!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #19  
Long-term maintainer

We haven't watched TV in years. We never got cable, and when Australia switches over to digital TV in June this year, we wouldn't be able to watch TV even if we wanted to.

I have a separate room for working out, with a TV and DVD player, but the TV isn't connected - I use it only for doing my workout DVDs.

I think TV is such a time-suck.
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #20  
Just watch me ...

I like Family Guy, too.
You know, I just checked out Hulu online...they carry Jon Stuart and Colbert - this seems too good to be true! If I can get my TV fixes without cable $$$, why should I keep cable??? Even if Hulu is the 'lowfat' version of cable, I've grown to like 'lowfat'.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #21  
Just watch me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
We haven't watched TV in years. We never got cable, and when Australia switches over to digital TV in June this year, we wouldn't be able to watch TV even if we wanted to.

I have a separate room for working out, with a TV and DVD player, but the TV isn't connected - I use it only for doing my workout DVDs.

I think TV is such a time-suck.
RedPanda, I'm thinking along your lines these days. I don't have the space for a separate work-out room, but if I ditch the cable I have a great dvd player and nice TV and my living room can be my 'workout' room. And my little lap top can be my 'tv' for my selected Hulu programs...
Old 04-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

When I moved in Jan we decided to see if we could live without cable and only go with Netflix. I can say that I do NOT miss it at all. My son was upset at first, but he has all the shows he wants on Netflix.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #23  
Just watch me ...

You know, i was able to get the cable folks to knock down by bill by $20, but it's still quite a bit..esp once they add on the taxes. I'm seriously thinking of taking a long walk tomorrow...to my cable center with box in tow...

TV is a 'time suck'. I once saw an interview with a celeb - I think it was Lauren Hutton - who said that she didn't have a TV because it 'steals your life'. I do think it lessens my productivity, and certainly my activity... but I think I'm addicted, there's something about the familiarity...endorphins....
Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Hubby and I haven't had cable in more than two and a half years, since we moved. We were planning on signing up for cable, but never got around to it. We couldn't even get the free digital, because we needed a digital converter box and they were sold out everywhere.

The cat was more disturbed by it than we were. She would look at the televisions (in the living room and in the bedroom) and would look at the blank screen then to us and meow and repeat over and over. I think she thought we had suddenly gone stupid and didn't understand why we weren't turning the tv on for her.

Hubby finally found digital converter boxes at the pawn shop and joked that he bought them for the cat so she could watch tv.

We get about 12 or 13 channels from the free digital, but we don't watch nearly as much tv as we did with cable. We also subscribe to online-only netflix, and usually hubby and I will each watch about one or two movies a week (either seperately or together).

There's so much tv available online that I don't think I'd ever go back to cable, even if we couldn't get the digital. We've decided that when the tv's die we probably won't replace them.

In addition to netflix, I'll also sometimes watch shows on the SyFy channel and the nbc websites.

The only shows I watch somewhat regularly are House and Fringe (both on the digital tv) and Grimm (on the nbc website)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm not in to TV at all by my BF hooked up a computer so we can watch things since he's pretty much an addict. I don't mind watching a little TV but I have no intention of paying for cable. So the TV is not responsible for "stealing my life" or "sucking my time" but I do have a little internet addiction...
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #26  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I think Hulu+, Netflix and Amazon Prime would probably be cheaper than cable and give you all of the shows you like.

Even if you don't want to spring for Hulu+ you can still watch Hulu on your TV. You can just hook up your laptop or whatever computer you have to the TV and use that as your monitor.

It's pretty fun. I used to hook up my macbook to the TV to watch youtube
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I watch TV in the winter months. I'm so tired by about 8 p.m. that I can't focus enough to read, go online, or anything except about an hour of TV and then bed. I like animal shows (go figure ). Lost Girl, The Good Wife, cop shows, and Amazing Race. DH and I also buy things like the DVD set of Boardwalk Empire, Walking Dead, etc. and watch those on consecutive nights when we are both at home.

I also watch America's next Top Model for reasons that I have never been able to fathom .

And even more weird is that I don't use music or TV for working out. It's just me and the equipment - no noise.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #28  
threenorns

i haven't had cable for AGES.

i use netflix and project free tv - total: $8/mo plus internet and all three of us can watch what we want, when we want.

i have too much to do - can't be arsed to sit in front of the TV staring at it. usually (like right now) i've got (right now - "Being Human", uk series) on in another tab. upstairs, my daughter is exercising to Coach Hooper on pbs.org. and when he gets home, my hubbie will probably watch a bollywood movie.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #29  
Just watch me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
The cat was more disturbed by it than we were. She would look at the televisions (in the living room and in the bedroom) and would look at the blank screen then to us and meow and repeat over and over...
That is too cute & I can totally relate! I leave the TV on for my cat and my little parrot. Have to admit that I'd feel guilty leaving them without.

But you all make a really good argument for why I should ditch the 'box'. I'm going to look into how to connect my laptop to my TV, and how to get netflix to stream in...so to not upset my little ones by a totally blank screen You guys are great...I'm so glad I posted !

Last edited by Exhale15; 04-03-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #30  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

Killed my idiot box over 15 years ago

Never miss it and my life is incredible without it. I feel so sorry for people who don't know the freedom of being free from theTube.

Last edited by susiemartin; 04-03-2012 at 10:03 PM.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote