Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #1  

Default Any maintainers NOT do regular weigh-ins?

This is long, so if you don't want to read the entire post, I'll understand, but I would appreciate an answer to my subject-line question.

As many of you know, I did not weigh myself at all when I started my plan back in June 2011 (not even for a starting weight). At the time, I had been so beaten down by failure at losing and maintaining that I mainly wanted to focus on adopting new, healthier habits---e.g., learn to eat at a reasonable calorie level, make exercise part of my daily routine, etc. Of course, I wanted to lose weight, but by focusing on habits rather than the scale, I figured I would always be in control of my success or failure. I credit this attitude with this weight loss attempt feeling almost effortless.

Fast forward to the week after Thanksgiving when I finally decided to weigh myself because I liked how I looked, and I wanted to figure out my maintenance calories. From that point forward, I've tried to figure out my maintenance calories, which meant I had to regularly weigh in to see if I was still losing or gaining or maintaining. I think I have it figured out that I can eat approx. 2200 per day to maintain a weight of 135-137.

Yet, now staying within a healthy weight range seems so much more like work than it did when I was losing. I'm doing what I said I wouldn't do: I allow the scale to dictate my mood and even, at times, my eating. Even though I only weigh in a couple of times a month, I literally hold my breath in anxiety before I step on the scale. My weigh-in day is Tuesday, and when I weighed in last week, the scale was up 2.5 lbs. (from 134.4 to 136.8). Now, that's within my range, but because last week was a bad week calorie-wise (I exceeded even my maintanance calories, although not by much), I sort of freaked out and am back on losing calories this week (1600 per day). So, you see how my logical self can be overruled by my emotional self.

I was thinking today of just settling on a calorie count, eating at that level and exercising as I have been without weighing myself at all. I figure if I'm really wrong about my maintenance calories, I suppose I'll find out when the waistband of my pants starts to get snug. However, all the data suggest that longterm maintainers weigh in often---most of them do it daily. Also, I'm not so great at guessing whether I've lost or gained. For example, at least twice over the past couple of months, I was sure I would see a gain on the scale but actually saw a loss. So, I suppose I'm just looking for feedback on weigh-ins. Do any of you not weigh in regularly? If so, how long have you been maintaining?

Last edited by lin43; 03-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I rarely weigh myself, I go by how my pants fit. I have been maintaining almost 7 years. Same pants.

Last edited by Glory87; 03-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I weigh every day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I let myself slide on regular weigh-ins for the past year and wound up gaining 20lbs. Of course there were other extenuating circumstances that led to my gain but not having the accountability of the scale definitely imo hurt my maintenance. Not having to face the scale allowed me to sink further away from reality and into the welcoming arms of my friendly foe, Denial.

It may be different for you, but for me, I think it will be a lifelong battle with a healthy lifestyle and maintaining at a healthy weight. The scale is something that will need to be a constant presence to keep me in check.

I usually weigh in once a week.

Last edited by hle82; 03-19-2012 at 04:45 PM.
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I stopped weighing daily. I want to focus on building muscle and I know that seeing gains will discourage me (which, honestly makes no sense. Building muscle probably WEIGHT GAIN. Silly self). I've been going how my clothes fit and measuring myself.

I have a scheduled weigh in on April 8th and figure I'll see what I want to do from there. I'm going to do either weekly or monthly weigh ins.

I have "peeked" at the scale here and there, jumping on with clothes on in the middle of the day and I'm weighing in under 120 each time, so I know I'm probably maintaining.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I weigh twice a week. Not necessarily the same 2 days every week but twice a week. That keeps me from going waay over my red line. Weighing every day just made me . I really like Glory's comment re the pants. I have a sheath dress that I try on once a month. It has a "5 lb. tolerance" and then it won't zip shut. No zip - diet. Zip - I'm OK and maintaining.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #7  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

I weigh daily, but I don't really worry about what it says unless it's trending up significantly. But just because "most" successful maintainers do something doesn't mean YOU need to do it to be successful!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
But just because "most" successful maintainers do something doesn't mean YOU need to do it to be successful!

Thank you for reminding me of this. It's what I've told others in other threads, but I needed reminding.

Glory, you've been my inspiration for a while now. I like your approach. I need to find a pair of pants or a skirt that is tight enough to allow me to tell if I've gained, and it needs to be something that I do not normally wear. I say this because I find that when I normally wear something, it tends to conform to my body, even if I've gained. With clothes I regularly wear, I tend to have a pretty big leeway even when I've gained ten pounds.

Thanks to those who replied (and keep the replies coming!).
Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #9  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

My scale hasn't lived with me for the past year (long story), so I haven't weighed myself daily in at least a year. In that year I maintained for the first 4 months, then regained 8, then lost them again. I don't think not weighing daily had anything to do with my gain. I go through phases, sometimes I like to weigh daily, sometimes I'll go a week or 10 days without weighing. NEVER weighing doesn't usually work well for me. But as someone said, just because something works for "most maintainers" it doesn't mean that it'll have to work for you. Most former binge-eaters have to stay away from their trigger foods in order to stay sane (and not binge). I'm the exact opposite. If I DON'T ever eat my "bad foods", then I'll rebel and start eating everything in sight. Do whatever works for you. And report back!
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #10  
Long-term maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I rarely weigh myself, I go by how my pants fit. I have been maintaining almost 7 years. Same pants.
Same here. I call it my "pantsometer". Since I started doing barre and kettlebell workouts, I have lost 3" from my hips and an entire pants size while gaining 2 kg (about 4.4 pounds). This is why I'm more interested in my measurements/size than my scale weight.
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Same here. I call it my "pantsometer". Since I started doing barre and kettlebell workouts, I have lost 3" from my hips and an entire pants size while gaining 2 kg (about 4.4 pounds). This is why I'm more interested in my measurements/size than my scale weight.
Wow, RedPanda, that's great. Very inspiring.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I've settled on twice-weekly weigh-ins. For me this feels right. I don't get too worked up if there's a gain, because I have an ironclad rule that if I exceed my goal range I get right back into weight loss mode that day. It has only happened once since I started maintaining and the excess weight was gone by the following weigh-in. Having that structure helps me stay calm about the whole thing.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I've settled on twice-weekly weigh-ins. For me this feels right. I don't get too worked up if there's a gain, because I have an ironclad rule that if I exceed my goal range I get right back into weight loss mode that day. It has only happened once since I started maintaining and the excess weight was gone by the following weigh-in. Having that structure helps me stay calm about the whole thing.

Freelance
How many pounds are in your range, freelance? Just curious.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

My range is 140 to 145 lbs.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #15  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I weigh daily. If I don't I can get wayyyy off track. Scale avoidance = weight gain for me.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote