Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone. Families.... sigh... I won't even start.

I did have a fantastic birthday weekend, though as I mentioned in another chat, I felt sick today. I'm thinking and hoping my body was just rebelling and that I'm not actually sick. The weather here has been changing a great deal too and everything is blooming so it could partially be allergies. I wish I had taken tylenol before bed last night, as I could barely sleep on account of a massive headache.

My weight is way up and I'm severely bloated. So, I'm trying to detox and ignore the bad stuff that is still here-- for one thing-- dh bought me some chocolates. I'm hoping dd will quietly finish them off but she stayed home sick today and isn't going to eat them anytime soon.

Dh gave me a great gift! He and I did a intro to scuba course a few months ago, and I'd love to scuba. We've been hesitant to take the class or plan a trip due to funds (or lack thereof). He gave me two certificates-- one is for the scuba course, and the second is for a trip! He hasn't actually planned anything-- we're going to go to the scuba shop and talk to them about suggestions. Will try to go this summer-- anyone scuba dive? Any suggestions for first time divers? I definitely like warm/hot places. I'll report back once we make some plans.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

My first Scuba dive was in St. John's, U.S. Virgin Islands. Went down on a neat old wreck, In more shallow water saw an unforgettable formation of four squid I took a picture of with a rented underwater camera - awful photograph but priceless memory.

My dream is to make it to the Great Barrier Reef off Australia before it disappears.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
My first Scuba dive was in St. John's, U.S. Virgin Islands. Went down on a neat old wreck, In more shallow water saw an unforgettable formation of four squid I took a picture of with a rented underwater camera - awful photograph but priceless memory.

My dream is to make it to the Great Barrier Reef off Australia before it disappears.
Will you be chumming off the great barrrier reef for great whites bill? I saw a program where some guys were studying them off the coast of Australia and they went down among them in shark cages -

Diving is another of those things I've always thought about doing but never got to - I imagine anywhere in the carribean with a reef would be good yes?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #19  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'll put in another plug for St. John USVI. We went last April for the marriage of two very good friends who are avid scuba/snorkelers, and they chose St. John because of a) fantastic memories and b) accessible/safe for more amateur tourists (they are devoted globehoppers). All of us who went have demanded that they celebrate their 5th anniversary back down there, so we can have another excuse to go.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #20  

Height: 5'6

I didn't scuba dive in the Virgin Islands but snorkeled. Way back in '93, as a college graduation present, my parents took my sister and I on a Caribbean cruise and one of the stops was St. Thomas. My sister and I snorkeled all afternoon in the gorgeous crystal-blue water. We even spotted part of an old shipwreck and came almost face-to-face with a barracuda! It was awesome.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
High 80's here today...shorts and t-shirts! Rain tomorrow maybe....

DAGMAR You just never know what can happen good or bad...my cousin's (son of my dad's brother) ex-wife got a hold of me on Facebook. He was only married to her for 1.5 years and that was in the 70's when we were teen-agers. They had 2 girls. She contacted me because most of that side of our family is gone except for one cousin, sister of my cousin the ex.

She said the best time she ever had as a teen was at my family's house on Thanksgiving Day one year. My uncle brought his family up the 50 miles. Something we did often growing up...meeting up as family. Anyway, since they divorced right after marriage (my cousin is an a$$) she never got to know us well. Long story short...she lives out in the desert near Allison, a few hours from me but her daughter lives 1.5 miles from me! We plan to meet up soon. Good luck.
And I just got my car washed, wouldn't you know it? And wouldn't it be funny if I knew your cousin's ex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post

The Great Barrier Reef would be amazing! DH dearly wants to visit Australia at some point. DD has been there and loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
I didn't scuba dive in the Virgin Islands but snorkeled. Way back in '93, as a college graduation present, my parents took my sister and I on a Caribbean cruise and one of the stops was St. Thomas. My sister and I snorkeled all afternoon in the gorgeous crystal-blue water. We even spotted part of an old shipwreck and came almost face-to-face with a barracuda! It was awesome.
We didn't go in the ocean at all when we were in the Virgin Islands. Instead, DH bought me a ring for our anniversary. We were there on a cruise for our 10th and we didn't realize it at the time we picked out the ring, but we got back to the ship and were showing it to some friends we had just met and one noticed it had 10 diamonds so 10 diamonds for 10 years!

I don't scuba dive, but we will snorkel a bit in Hawaii. I think learning scuba would be awesome.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #22  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I went to the Great Barrier Reef on my honeymoon -- you don't need to be able to scuba to see things there! We snorkeled and didn't feel like we were missing out on anything. The reef is only like 2-4 feet below the surface.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
I went to the Great Barrier Reef on my honeymoon -- you don't need to be able to scuba to see things there! We snorkeled and didn't feel like we were missing out on anything. The reef is only like 2-4 feet below the surface.
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

The first time I snorkeled was in Maui (20 years ago and the only time I've been to Hawaii). It was incredible. We've snorkeled many times since in other places and nothing has come close. I will check out the Virgin Islands... thanks for the suggestions! Australia is definitely on my bucket list, but not in my price range for now!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 211/155/155

Height: 5'5"

Sorry about your loss Mudpie!!
I do not scuba but love to snorkel- I had the opportunity of Snorkeling in the Galapagos- that was fantastic.
Question- I have only been a maintainer for 2 weeks now, and am experience a great deal of weight variance even though my calories range differential has been very narrow. My variance has been 4 pounds,and as much as two pound change in a day!! Will the change become less or is this what I can expect most like from now on?
Slshappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slshappy View Post
Sorry about your loss Mudpie!!
I do not scuba but love to snorkel- I had the opportunity of Snorkeling in the Galapagos- that was fantastic.
Question- I have only been a maintainer for 2 weeks now, and am experience a great deal of weight variance even though my calories range differential has been very narrow. My variance has been 4 pounds,and as much as two pound change in a day!! Will the change become less or is this what I can expect most like from now on?
When I was maintaining (I'm re-losing at the moment) I'd see a 3 to 4 pound variance depending on the day. Typically, I'd eat a bit more than usual on the weekends, so Monday was an up day. I'd be careful during the week and be back to normal by Friday, only to go back up again by Monday. Kind of a small yo-yo, but it worked alright for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #27  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slshappy View Post
This sounds normal for me, as well. It's affected a lot by whether I've taken in anything remotely salty, if I've drunk a lot of liquids, and if I've eaten anything that is high volume in fiber, even if low in calories.

I think if my weight flatlined at a single number for days on days, I'd know that 1) my scale was broken, or 2) I'd entered an alternative universe in which there were no consequences to our actions.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My weight varies about 2 pounds up or down for no apparent reason. Slight fluctations in weight is quite normal
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #29  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I weigh two pounds (give or take) more in the evening than I do in the morning. I log the morning weight ...
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 211/155/155

Height: 5'5"

Thank you everyone for your input. Being on maintain I find is a whole different midset than when i was losing weight. Being new at maintaining i guess that I am still somewhat apprehensive about putting it back on!!
Slshappy is offline   Reply With Quote