Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/145/150

Height: 5'7"

Default How am I doing?

Hi, just starting maintaining a month or two ago and was hoping for a little insight as to how my "maintaining" looks from an outside perspective.

My typical daily eating plan is:

B: 1 cup of oatmeal with 2 tbsp of "no sugar added" jam and 1 hardboiled egg +
2x cups of coffee (fat free whitener, 1 tsp sugar)

S: 1 low-fat cheese string

L: Chicken or turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with some mini carrots +
100 cal pack of cookies or an apple

S: Small can of tuna

D: Grilled chicken breast (boneless&skinless) with 1.5 cups of salad mix and another side such as frozen veggies, 1 cup of soup or 3/4 cup of brown rice

S: 1 cup of oatmeal with 2 tbsp of jam (if I'm still hungry after dinner)

This comes in at 1600-1700 calories/day.
Then I work out 45 mins, 5 days/week switching up between cardio excercises and weights/toning excercises.

I've managed to stay around 135, with a pound or two of fluncuations so far. But I have a crazy sweet tooth that I'm trying to get over (without much luck) and I'm finding that lately my appetite has been ravenous.
Just wondering if I could be doing something better or different? Am I eating too much? Is 2 cups of oatmeal too much to have in one day? Should I be eating more protein, less carbs?

Just looking for a little insight/advice. Thanks!
TigerGal24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

OK, here's my take on your eating plan. It is healthy beyond reproach, but I have to wonder if you're ever eating what you actually WANT to eat.

For me, a maintenance plan that considers only health and not personal preference wouldn't work. On balance I think my food choices are quite healthy, with lots of tofu, fish, vegetables, eggs, cheese, and a split between whole-grain and refined carbs. But taste is my number-one priority. If I feel ho-hum about a food (like cottage cheese curds or canned tuna without any fixins), I won't eat it.

On occasion I'm in the mood for a banana with melted Nutella for breakfast or a huge bowl of stove-topped popcorn for lunch, so that's what I'll eat. Sometimes it's honey-flax crackers with Western cream cheese and nothing else.

I guess what I'm saying is that you may find it easier to incorporate your sweet tooth (and other preferences) into your meal plan than to try to tame it.

HTH Freelance

Last edited by freelancemomma; 02-01-2012 at 01:22 PM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/145/150

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Freelance, you make a good point. I enjoy what I eat, but do feel deprived at times. I have tried in the past to implement some "treats" into my daily count, but I don't do well with moderation. If I buy a pack of Oreos, for example, I don't think I could stop at just one or two. I've tried in the past to have "free days", but they end up doing more damage than good. I find that the moment I give myself permission to eat whatever I want, this sort of weight lifts off of me and I go nuts, as if it'll be the last meal I ever get to enojy. I've also tried creating healthier versions of junk food, but they just aren't the same, and my body doesn't fall for it. The idea of never eating junk food again is also depressing. So I'm trying to find a middle somewhere in which I can enjoy the good stuff yet still maintain my weight. The answer so far has been a solid no.
TigerGal24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/138/144

Height: 5'4"

I am pretty new to this too, but what I have done is experiment until I find treats that don't trigger the "more, more, more" response. So far good quality dark chocolate has worked well for me. I savor every morsel, have a little most days, and never feel "triggered." I had to throw out an expensive bag of granola the other day, though. I had a terrible time staying out of it. Same with dried mangoes- out they went.
goldendoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Hmmm... I guess I'm fortunate in that I've never liked junk food. My tastes run toward gourmet or exotic food. I love chocolate, but it has to be fine Swiss or Belgian chocolate, etc.

Have you compiled a list of healthy foods or dishes you actually LOVE (if there are any)? I would start from there.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendoodle View Post
I am pretty new to this too, but what I have done is experiment until I find treats that don't trigger the "more, more, more" response. So far good quality dark chocolate has worked well for me. I savor every morsel, have a little most days, and never feel "triggered." I had to throw out an expensive bag of granola the other day, though. I had a terrible time staying out of it. Same with dried mangoes- out they went.
I agree completely with this---almost down to the examples you used!

To the OP, I agree w/ freelance, though: Your plan looks really righteous. So, technically, it looks great, but I do not believe I could stick with it long term because I would feel deprived. However, I do understand your fear of not being able to control your eating. It's a tough call, and to be frank, I haven't figured out how to handle it either. Sometimes, I go cold turkey, and sometimes, I try moderation. From what I've read, this is one problem that many maintainers have.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I agree with what's been said. I too have a ravenous sweet tooth that's I must listen too or a binge will eventually ensue. I do take some supplements to help, cinnamon and chromium picolinate (sp?). They help, but I still need something sweet everyday as well as a full blown indulgence once a week.

As far as the hunger goes, that's just gonna take experimenting on your part. What satisfies me may not work for you, play around with it. I prefer protein, whole grain carb AND fat in all my meals.

Congrats on your loss.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I haven't reached maintenance yet (so close!) but one thing that has helped me (I'm a binger) is going out to a restaurant and getting one thing to satisfy my sweet tooth rather than buying something at the grocery store and eating it at home. If it is in my house, moderation is likely out the window, but I do find it easier to go to TCBY and get a cup of yogurt, even indulge and add some caramel sauce to it - or I go to Starbucks and grab a small latte and one of those bite-size sweets they now have. I eat/drink it there rather than bringing anything home. Normally that stops my cravings cold, and gets me out of the house and makes me feel like I've truly indulged.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote