Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Operation 5-10 or more for the holidays!

It's that time of year . . . fall is in the air, and we know what that means!

Time for the pre-holiday slimdown (to be followed thereafter by the post-holiday slimdown ).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, Jessica.

Jessica, things are looking good. I hope you can work round the taping.

Saef, you're always welcome here whether you need to lose 5-10lbs, strictly speaking, or not. Gosh, 5k! I'm impressed. And all-you-can-eat yoga too. But I certainly understand the constraints the winter weather will bring.

Midwife, there's no harm in looking at the Beck Diet Solution. No obligation. I found it an interesting read and learnt a fair bit. I lurk at the Beck board. I cannot bring myself to read the book again though, probably because I don't like self-help books much and I don't like her style. Swap you my BDS pink book for your van with the broken window? You deliver but I'll make you a cup of tea on arrival.

Friday

Sleep. 8-ish hours again. We are all getting more sleep in this household and are nicer people for it. It feels as though there's more space to do things.

W. -1lb on yesterday. That's, er, -1.75lbs on last Friday. This is a good development.

E. 45 minutes less gentle strolling on my own. I hacked down to the shore before some very heavy rain started. It was nice to be outside, on slightly uneven ground, being aware of how my body's working and where it can be improved.

F. Very good. Yes, that's what I said.

Stresso: feeling a bit low but putting one foot in front of another. I have achieved things today, however small.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

OK! Found the new thread. It's been a very busy first week of classes, but strangely I think getting back into my "routine" has helped me. I've got back in my proper breakfast - packed lunch - afternoon snack - dinner cycle without all the snacky temptations of mom's place (not to mention the neighbors frequently dropping by with a "little something.") I have got over jet lag and can sleep a normal night's sleep. I've got back in the gym three out of seven days this week, and did a Jillian Michaels video, minus the impact parts, one other day. I have a new motivator: I only fit into three pairs of work pants at the moment.

I bravely passed up the beginning of the rugby season barbecue yesterday at my sports club. Even though going might have improved my currently non-existent romantic life. (OK, it's probably not likely that the man of my dreams is a player for the Dubai Wasps rugby team. I did watch them out on the field as I worked on the elliptical. The local guys are cute too.)

Those of you with tendonitis -- what did your doctors actually say to you about IMPROVEMENT? Mine basically said, "you have tendonitis, take naproxen for at least two weeks and go to this physical therapy." Physical therapy guy said "Do these exercises that will strengthen your hips, they will help it even though none of them directly have to do with your foot. Oh, and you can wear this arch support, but not too much." And that's all I got, without any directions for how long it would take to get better.

So now I have a foot which is sometimes sore and sometimes not, without any rhyme or reason except that it is stiff and sore after standing on it all day at work, and after exercise is a bit more flexible but numb. (The doctor said the inflamed tendon presses on the nerves.) Also it hurts more when I stop taking the naproxen. Does that mean I have to take the naproxen forever?

On the Domestic Management front: I have committed to the Lifehacker goal of spending 15-minute units of time attacking the mess which is my apartment. (Not counting the basic maintenance like washing dishes, bathroom, etc. The Roomba's efforts also do not count toward the total, no matter how many times I have to rescue it from under the IKEA armchair.)

Today's project, organizing the many backlogged kitchen cabinet staples so I can find the black beans when I want them, was derailed when I decided to investigate the strange material dropping out of my main room air conditioner and found the interior coils were covered in ... a thick layer of something black and fuzzy. Unfortunately said coils are very hard to reach, so I have now got a very dirty bottle brush soaking in bleach, and will have to see if I can reach the rest later, after it dries out, with one of my vacuum attachments.

Saef, I like your new picture very much! You look much happier than in the other one.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #4  
No description available.

Wouldn't that be fun, SB? Someday I will make it to Wales! Probably not by van, though! Hahaha!!! Any luck with your car shopping?

Sounds like a messy job, Bronze! I'm intrigued by "Lifehacker". Tell us more!

So I've joined a 12 wk weight loss challenge through work. A friend of mine is on a team that needed a sudden replacement for a fifth participant and she "knows I'm good at losing weight." Um, thanks I think! But it seems to have ignited my ability to get back on the wagon in a big way. Down 5 lbs today. Thanks for changing the title to include "or more" to include me, Jessica!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #5  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Hello Operation 5-10ers!

Im back

Been hanging out in other parts of the board as I had more than 5-10 to lose...heh.

But at ~135, this thread is a good fit again...plus you guys are freakin awesome and I really enjoy seeing how you are all doing

Id loooooooooove to get down 125 again. Lets do this!
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #6  
in development

Bronze - I like that 15 mins idea.

Midwife - down 5lbs! Amazing. Btw, that '5-10 or more' encompasses me too.

xty - welcome back to this groovy corner of 3FC!

Saturday

Sleep. 6 + 3 hours. There was an almighty thunderstorm right overhead at 4am which woke everyone up. Click-flaaash-ruuumble.

W. -0.5lb on yesterday. True fact.

E. 45 minutes walking along an estuary and through some sand dunes. Blowy with sun. I sat on a bench for a while and thought vitamin D thoughts.

F. Rather good. Usual brekkie. Smallish morning snack (2 plums and 2 brazil nuts). Small lunch (possibly the worst fish & chips I've ever had - I left most of the fish, the batter was no good and I hadn't ordered chips so just had a few from the others' plates). Late afternoon snack (apple and peanut butter). I made a point of eating this so I wouldn't eat supper later on. Tea was made by the DB out of the little we had (pasta & pesto, some corned beef for protein, mixed salad - cherry toms, cue, cauli florets, grated & sliced carrot, quartered chestnut mushrooms with balsamic vinegar) and was brilliant.

Stresso. I've navigated nuclear family life by using a few emergency procedures I've developed over the years.

It's been a car search day in the main. I'm now considering the new Renault Scenic (have the old one at present). That's what you call a minivan over there. I think the cabin is, um, a bit too sporty and tacky. It upsets my inner peace. French. Also thinking about the Skoda Octavia estate. You might call this a station wagon - not sure. It's rather plain with huge amounts of space (my goal in life) and very relaxing inside. Czech with a Volkswagen chassis & possibly engine too but more reliable. I'll test-drive it next week.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #7  
in development

Sunday

Sleep. 9 straight hours.

W. Same. This is looking good.

E. About an hour walking, straight out from the house along country lanes.

F. Good.

Stresso. I've noticed my eyes are often screwed up and I'm frowning. I think this is the background work/money worry. I try to smooth out my face when I notice and take some deep breaths. My back niggled today after crawling around the floor of a rather confined upstairs room full of books and other items. (This is the DB's bedroom.) The plan is to return to doing morning gymn workouts as these unjam me after the night and soothe my concerns and sadnesses. The trick will be Not To Overdo It.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Lifehacker is a web site that collects, I guess you'd call them efficiency and crafty and how-to tips from other web sites. Everything from apps for your computer (they have kind of a bias for these) to time management to fitness and cooking. There are the occasional oddball ones in the mix -- two of the ones today are "how to survive a gunshot wound" and "make a lunchbox from a milk carton".

This is the 15-minutes declutter one: http://lifehacker.com/206295/15-minu...r-clutter-away for which they credit the flylady.net site. The idea is that anyone can spend 15 minutes decluttering in their day -- and you have to stop when you reach 15! I went to the original flylady tip and she has lots of other "fun" ideas like take a trash bag and go through the house, and throw away 27 things.

I have a room that I have allowed to get very cluttered, and it's become one of those jobs that it's so big I don't know where to/don't want to start. So I thought I'd try that. I did do the kitchen cabinets, actually, after I finished the air conditioner, and that did take only 15 minutes. So I tried it on the room today, with my headphones on and my iPod, and really felt like I was accomplishing something. I actually ended up "cheating" and spending 40 minutes.

Last edited by bronzeager; 09-19-2011 at 04:10 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #9  
Workin' It

I'm back for right now, too. I've done really well the last week or so with food and exercise, just need to keep it going.

Bronze - I love the 15 min rule, too. And I also love my Roomba! Mine always gets stuck under my dining room chairs - I have to remember to turn them up on the table when it is going to run.

Birchie - I sometimes actually put my first fingers up on the sides of my eyes to keep myself from squinting. I do it in bright light, when I'm tired, when I'm under stress. It is wreaking havoc with the lines around my eyes and above my nose. How is your downward dog?

Midwife - five pounds down rocks! High five!

xty - hey there! I would love to be back at 125, right there with you!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #10  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Jessica - thanks for the new thread!

SB - You have a wonderful trend going on weight! Stresses and injuries are evil twins - finding a happy balance of "unjamming" (I like that term very much!) and being overly enthusiastic is a delicate line. Due care!

bronzeager - I am bookmarking the Lifehacker site. The AC goop sounds unpleasant :P Re the tendonitis, once I found the true root cause of the shoulder issues, which were actually in my neck, I was at 90% in about a month, and fully functional in another two months. I didn't expect it to be that fast, given that I spent 7 YEARS with poor function and pain.

midwife - 5 pounds???? Yowza! Good for you! I am sure the friend meant you have experience with losing weight safely and sanely. Gotta love a big first week!

xty - welcome back!!

shannon - good to "see" you too!

Boy, Saturday morning I was at 154.5 and very pleased. Too pleased. Sunday I was at 157.0; and today back at 155. Overall, from Monday to Monday I was lower, but I absolutely must be more diligent with the calorie counting on the weekends.

I am on my final 3 days of work, and then will have until October 10 before I start the new job. DS12 has his first swim practice tonight; I am hoping that the smell of chlorine inspires me again.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #11  
in development

Bronzeager - I use the 15 minute rule for things I don't want to do but which have to be done (washing up, shoe cleaning, tidying etc). It's quite useful. I also use 'Just do it!' if I pass something small which should be done. My gran's 'Never leave a room empty-handed' is good too. I use this the most and it makes me feel warm inside, thinking about her.

Shannon - I'd like to get back to downward dog but this recent flare-up with my back has made me cautious.

Becky - trends are what we want, I agree. One or two data-points don't tell us anything useful.

Monday

Well, two weeks ago I'd hoped I'd be back into the gymn 'n' food groove by today. That hasn't quite worked out but I think that I'm settling into the sleep 'n' food groove and I'm pleased. Working on the gymn.

Sleep. 6 + 1. An anomaly.

W. +0.25lb.

E. Gymn! A little TM, a bit of bike, some leg and core exercises and body weight squats. I could get used to it.

F. Good. The SO's been doing evening meals so I just keep away, eat what I'm given (protein, greens, other veg, spoonful of carbs) and do other things. Nibbling doesn't come into it.

Stresso. Got through today OK. Exercise out of the house does help enormously.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #12  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

Nice to see some familiar folks on the thread!

Shannon - we can do it. 125 - we are coming for ya!

Becky - look forward to hearing about you spending more time in the pool soon. Sounds like you will have the time in between gigs, very cool.

I havent weighed in since last Tues (137) and wont weigh in again until Sunday at the earliest. On an extended trip to the east coast and simply refuse to use any scale that isnt mine. Hoping to be below 135 by Sunday, but who knows...

I have been doing awesome with the eating and working out, woohoo. Even though Im heavier than I would like, Im low enough and strong enough that workouts feel enjoyable. Woke up excited to do 60m of cardio followed by 15m of circuit training in the park.

Started allowing some bread back into my diet...this is revolutionary! By some bread I mean I had one slice of wheat bread yesterday, but seriously hasnt happened in months. The world did not end, suspect small about of bread may be ok (and not trigger crazy binges). Will continue to slowly test this theory.

Keep up the great work everyone, looks like Monday started off well for us all.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #13  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Bronze - I would keep going to the doctor about your tendonitis until they either fix it or tell you that it won't get any better than it is. Typically they start with a conservative treatment, and if it doesn't get fixed and you go back they will do something more dramatic, and repeat until they run out of options.

Sadly, my podiatrist has run out of options for my feet. We tried taping them again but I don't think it helped. Could be wrong because it rained the past couple days and rain makes everything worse, but still. Basically the only thing he hasn't done is surgery, and I agree with him that if the problem is a systemic inflammatory disease then surgery isn't the way to go.

I am pretty frustrated about this. I am finding it hard to accept that the "treatment" for my current condition is really just "take pain killers and wait until it goes away on its own." I am glad that my rheumatologist is going to drain the cyst in my wrist which will help some, but I wish there was something to be done about my feet. I am seriously considering buying a home ultrasound and attempting to do PT on myself.

Okay, enough rambling. Hi everyone! My weight is still on a downward trajectory. Day 8 and down 2.4lbs. I'm really surprised it's going so fast.

Last edited by paperclippy; 09-20-2011 at 04:05 PM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #14  
in development

Jessica, have a So infuriating and I don't know what to say. But it's good news about your weight.

Tuesday

Sleep. 8 hours.

W. -0.75lb. I am getting a bit excited here. You know how it is: you think, "This is possible!" and then you (well, I) do all those crazy calculations ("I could be xzgtsww by the end of November!") Calm down!

E. Gymn! Again! A little TM, a bit of bike, some leg and core exercises and dumbbell squats. NB 5kg is Too Much to start with. OK.

F. Good (and this is very good as the SO is away and so there's more to do). More to do can mean nibbling and I haven't. I am adopting a low key approach. The DB has said he'll make tea tomorrow. It will be what we call 'instant pizza': homemade tomato sauce on lightly toasted wholemeal bread with melted cheese, and mixed salad leaves (no dressing). A small portion is delicious and perfectly acceptable. I think he plans 'proper pizza' (homemade) the following night. We'll see how things pan out.

Stresso. Had a pretty good day mostly on my own which I badly need. Bumped into a couple of pleasant acquaintances which is always nice.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #15  
No description available.

SB, I'm a dreamer and a calculator as well.

Jessica, I can't remember, but have you tried accupuncture?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote