Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers weekly chat August 15 - 21

The saga with colors continues. The young guy on the painting crew was told to put up the first coat in the bedroom. The painting chart specified 'Sweet Salmon.' He picked up the can of 'Sweet Caroline' and painted his heart out - having failed to read the second word in the name. Ouch! Sweet Salmon is beige-ish; Sweet Caroline is green-ish. Poor kid. Luckily, the first coat was a primer and recovery was cheap.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Good Morning all!

I'm back on the wagon after my week dog sitting. I'm again over my red line due to some snacking at night. DH has a lot more damage to undo than I do. Funny how we both go into "vacation" mode whenever we are not living together and how we tend to still regard food and booze as "rewards".

2 pieces of belgian chocolate from the specialty shop are a reward. A big handful of chocolate chips is not.

Fall (one of my faviourite seasons) is in the air these mornings. It is still dark when I open the door for the cats and the air is much cooler. And the clouds and moon look different somehow. Time to get it into gear so I will fit into all those "skinny" jeans in my closet.

Anyone in the NYC area going to get "beaten up" by the new Jillian Michaels workout?

Good Monday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Bill - about the colors.

Dagmar, glad you had a good time at Cirque! Fall is in the air in the mornings here too. I'm a little sad actually because I feel like I didn't get to fully enjoy summer yet.

Not sure if the steroids are working or not here. I thought maybe they were, but I took Carter for a walk to test it out and my feet started hurting after 1/4 mile again. Sigh. I was hoping I would get some kind of dramatic improvement before my vacation next week so I could enjoy vacation more (going around and doing active stuff). Meanwhile the drug cocktail (I took 10 pills this morning and have 6 to go today!) is causing some major backup in my system, which is causing some significant weight gain. I added back a fiber drink so hopefully that will help clear some of it out. Plus some weight is from sodium due to having a stir fry for dinner last night.

DH and I sort of witnessed another major car accident this weekend (following on the one I witnessed last week). We had parked and were walking down the street when we heard squealing tires and a big crash behind us, and turned around to see a smashed up car drifting to a stop. Of course DH starts making jokes about Final Destination and now I'm afraid that I will have some kind of car accident! Hopefully nothing will happen on our drive up to Wisconsin.

Carter nearly caught a bunny in our backyard last night. He loves to chase them but hasn't caught any yet and I'm hoping he never does. Since his surgery he's been much slower at chasing them, but this idiot bunny ran straight into the fence. Not through the fence, but into one of the posts (we heard an audible "thunk"). Luckily it made it through the fence just before Carter got there, although he nearly ran into the fence himself.

In other news, I tried canning for the first time every yesterday with some of our extra tomatoes. I made three pint jars. How can I tell if I did it right? The seals went down but I don't know how to tell beyond that. I'm afraid of poisoning us. I did a hot pack and added 1 Tbsp lemon juice to each jar.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Greetings from the land of the perpetual rain. It rained all day yesterday and I went to sleep to the sound of rain drumming on my window air conditioner in the bedroom. I dreamed that I was back living at home with my parents (yes, my father was still alive) and our home was flooded out by a sudden rush of water that hit us more like a tsunami than a slowly rising flood. In the aftermath, a salvage crew was bringing me objects and parts of things that had survived the flood. I was anxiously watching for the appearance of some favorite things. They found my purse. The objects inside -- paper currency, credit cards, checkbook -- had somehow stayed dry. I was relieved because now I'd be able to buy food and pay to stay at a nearby hotel full of other flood refugees.

Today the office population has been decimated by vacation. But I have a presentation to participate in & plenty of writing to do. I'm heading Upstate this coming Friday but in my experience, my life revs up to an insane pace before I can achieve escape velocity from it.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #5  
Workin' It

I just caught up on last week's discussion -
Bargoo - I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I know how hard the decision was, and today will be harder still. I'm thinking about you and Sparky. Hugs to you.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #6  
Workin' It

Bill - something similar happened when our house was painted, only it was red put in the wrong place. Much harder to correct.

Dagmar - I'm glad that you enjoyed the Cirque! Yay!

Jessica - I had hoped that the steroids would do the trick. Maybe it just needs a little more time? And those meds always back me up as well. Ick. Hope that clears before vacay as well.

Saef - funny the things we dream about, and how much those dreams are influenced by things around us. Makes sense I guess. I hope this week doesn't get too crazy for you before your time out next week.

I'm covering our catering department this week for a staff vacation. Having a hard time typing with the big bandage on my left hand, and haven't exercised since Friday for the same reason. We bought a new tv Friday and picked it up Saturday, so I did move some boxes and and hang some blinds over the weekend, so not totally sedentary. Oh, and did some yoga on Saturday which was mostly comfortable. Still feeling pretty stupid - who cuts their hand on a fan that is turned off during a workout? If it had been on I could have at least accepted that more. Want to either run or lift today - I feel this compulsion to lift, so I can do what I was planned for yesterday. Then I could overload my schedule this week and do M-W-F-Su and be back on track for the end of the week. Might not be the smartest idea to go so hard - still thinking about that.

Good day everyone!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #7  

Shannon Who cuts their hand . . . well I think I trump that by hitting myself in the face (with bruising and a possible hairline fracture) not one, not two, but three times with my new vehicle's taller doors. DUH!!! (Hope your hand is better soon and take it easy 'til it is).

What make of TV did you get? (if you don't mind my nosiness as DH and I will have to break down soon and replace our 3-ft. long Zenith with a big screen).

Allison How is the trip going?

Jessica One dumb bunny yes?

saef Amazing what triggers vivid dreams. And the pre-vacation acceleration is a common phenomenon (I think). Is it because we are anticipating getting away from work so much that all of our perceptions are heightened?

I won one today and lost one. My clients gave me a bonus for all the TLC I showed their old sweetie lab during the dog sit. And I got myself a $40 parking tag - for parking for a couple of minutes on a really quiet little sidestreet 'cause contractors had blocked my client's driveway. I hope the parking guy was entertained by Happi's howling as he wrote the ticket. That's what I heard as I was crating the puppy but alas, too late to stop him writing the tag.

Oh well. I took a chance and I lost. Tomorrow I will go and give the contractors heck (or set Hap up to guard ourside the vehicle) if I can't park on the driveway.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone.

I'm back at school as of today. Today was registration and I'm brain dead. Plus I didn't get to the gym. Tomorrow will be tricky too (working both jobs) but I'm hoping I can still make the gym.

I'm afraid I don't have anything meaningful to add or comment on. Take care everyone!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #9  

Default I'm giving up . . .

. . . on trying to get DH to do anything. Sorry but I have to whine somewhere as all this is making me . I don't nag him - I just offer reminders, eat healthy (mostly) and try to get him out and moving.

He won't update his resume, just keeps complaining about his current 2-days-a-week I should be so lucky job.

He was supposed to start a diet and fitness regimen at the beginning of July - I'm still waiting (he ate a dozen large peanut butter cookies and drank beeer last night - stuff all over our living room shows me that this morning).

So excuse me for blowing off steam here. I do understand that he's stressed etc. I'm just tired (5 years and counting) of waiting for the
to sink in that he has to finally become an adult.

I will limit my whining here to 2 times per week.

Thanks and have a great hump day!

Dagmar
Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Bill's feeling slightly high from the perpetual smell of fresh paint, Michele's downright wrung-out from her job, Dagmar's tired of being a motivated woman married to an unmotivated man, Shannon's recuperating from slicing her hand like a butcher mishandling a stick of bologna, and Jessica's feeling slightly spooked on the roads these days as she seems to leave crashed cars in her wake.

Yes, it's one fine hump day.

As for me, I can't see beyond two big urgent writing projects. Why did Google have to go & buy Motorola's mobile unit just days before my late-summer vacation is supposed to commence?

I'm calling this the Summer of Initiatives, since, at work, I'm involved in or close to several new projects (they like to call them "initiatives" at my workplace) and each of them is spoiling my or some coworker's idea of a slightly relaxed, downshifted summer. There is no downtime any more.

And as usual, I have too many fresh fruits & vegetables in the fridge for someone who's leaving town for a couple days. I have to eat them up, cook them up, take them with me or trash them. And I hate throwing out perfectly good produce.

Last edited by saef; 08-17-2011 at 08:30 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Saef, the freezer is your friend! Most veggies you can just chop up and throw in a freezer bag.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Dagmar, it is time to let go, he is a grown man, he will make his own decisions, right or wrong. I know it is difficult to stand back and watch what he is doing, but obviously your well meaning suggestions don't work and only cause frustration for you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Saef-- are you doing something fun for your getaway? I never would have thought of freezing fruits and veggies-- what a smart idea. They were talking about google/motorola on the news this morning. They were wondering if mid west Motorola folks would make it here in the land of Google?

Staff retreat for me today. I hate these things-- you get broken into teams for games/challenges/etc. I know it is my old fat insecurities but I always feel uncomfortable in these situations. I feel like I'm not athletic even though I'm in much better shape than I ever was (still can't catch or throw a ball but I can run!). I also don't always feel like I "fit in" because I'm not a teacher and they tend to stick with their grade level friends. All I know is they were looking for bocce ball and croquet sets.... oy vey...

My dd started filling out college apps last night. She is so darn independent that she submitted one last night! She didn't even let us see her essay or anything. Hope it was good! She's applying to 6 schools at this point. I've got a couple of favorites (I think) but I'm not sure they are her top choices. Should be an interesting year! And expensive!! I had to pay $150 for her to go to grad night, and another $200 plus for yearbook and senior stuff.

In other doggie news, Dewey is having his "procedure" (If you know what I mean) tomorrow. Poor little guy.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #14  
Workin' It

If I can get past today then this week is almost over and I'm almost out of catering until the manager's next vacation. Hump day feels almost insurmountable this morning.

Dagmar - vent all you need to honey, but don't let him make you crazy. Bargoo is right - you can't change him, and you can't drive yourself insane trying to do that. Take care of you.

Saef - I hate big projects right before vacay. Hope you make it.

Michele - hope the first day goes well! I hate those retreats, too. And in my job I have to plan a lot of them.

Oh yeah, Dagmar - we got an LG 60PV450. We had a Mitsubishi DLP tv, so the plasma was an upgrade. We didn't fully account for heightened glare, so spent Sunday hanging blackout shades behind the blinds and putting in undercabinet lighting in the kitchen to soften the impact of the overhead light.

I think I need to accept the fact that I'm choosing to overeat & give up on figuring our the whys. I then need to just stop. I feel terrible today, and it is because of all the sugar. I do really well all day and then I tank it late and eat something like ice cream. I'm eight weeks away from a beach vacation, I need to get my fanny back into gear.

I also need my hand to heal and life to settle down enough for me to get some exercise. Growl.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 08-17-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #15  

Shannon Wow - that's BIG! I don't think a 60" (that's almost my height!) would fit in any of our rooms!

Michele Dewey won't feel a thing during and after should be minimally painful (I know you guys are shaking your heads in horror ). The procedure has changed quite dramatically from when we had our (former) boy cat done.

saef Think of yourself running free in the forest, with gentle, diffuse sunlight pouring down through the canopy. You will be there soon.

Jessica Brilliant! I never know what to do with all the veggies I greedily buy on Saturdays and then fail to use up during the week. In cold weather I make veggie "stew" - not so good in summer.

And I know DH will only change when he's ready (if ever). I still get frustrated watching him hit his head against the same wall and I need to vent somewhere. Thanks for your patience everyone.

I am combining all sorts of little odds and ends in salads tonite. 2 kinds of lettuce, orange pepper, cuke, baby toms, goat cheese, basil, and almonds. The "science experiment" salad! Chipotle devilled eggs and ciabatta buns on the side.

And it's never a good idea to read cupcake reviews before dinner.

Good evening all!

Dagmar