Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'6"

Question Peanut Butter, Friend or Foe

So this should really go on the dieters/food site, but I thought I would ask you fellow maintainers this question.

Does anyone else on here have a strong mental pull towards the peanutbutter? I swear I'm addicted. I could literally grab a spoon and grab smears of it all day long. I try to limit myself. I say limit, because if I eliminate it, I WILL grab it and eat it all day long.

So in your maintainence ways, do you allow yourself to have "fatty" peanutbutter. Do you just see it as protein? Or do you see it as too many calories and/or fats to be a positive thing.
BakingChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #2  
say what?

I am not a maintainer, but saw this in the new posts - and I am so in love with peanutbutter. The weirdest thing ever is that I didn't eat it before I started the weightloss. But I read on several places that it satiates and has good proteine and such. Appearantly people used to shy away from it because it's so high in calories, but really.. a lowcal cracker with thick layer of peanutbutter is the perfect mid-afternoon snack at only 100 calories. As is half a fuji apple with some peanutbutter to dip it in.

<3
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

I LOVE peanut butter and will never give it up. I have learned to shy away from the bread or cracker use with it and gone for celery, nice crunch.

Peanut butter just makes me feel good.
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #4  
Miss October

S/C/G: 153/116.2/120

Height: 5'2"

I eat peanut butter nearly every day. Great source of protein and healthy fats! I only eat the natural stuff, though that is only peanuts. Great charge up breakfast!
CorinneIrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I love PB and am not going to give it up. I generally eat a measured portion (weighed out in grams) every day or every other day. I stick with the natural stuff - just peanuts and salt, no added sugar - and LOVE Trader Joe's organic crunchy.

Nuts and nut butters are higher in fat than a lot of other foods, and therefore calorically dense, but the fat isn't saturated animal fat so there's no reason to avoid it, just count and track it. I do try and vary my nut butters (including almond and sunflower seed) just to get a little variety in taste and nutrients. Also, there is apparently a toxin associated with peanuts, so some people are concerned about that.

ETA: I just re-read the OP and caught the comment about fat. I actually have increased my fat consumption (as a percentage of my calories consumed) throughout my weight loss. I've found, personally, that I am happiest with about 25-30% of my cals coming from fat sources. Most of those are the "healthy" fats - olive oil, avocado, nuts and nut butters - but I also eat some full-fat cheese a few times a week, and low-fat dairy. The fat helps me stay fuller longer. I had all my cholesterol numbers checked at the beginning of the summer and my doctor said my readings were "stellar," so unless that changes I'm not going to limit fat.

Last edited by JenMusic; 08-10-2011 at 08:56 AM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #6  
motivational guru wannabe

S/C/G: 205/205/185 by spring

Height: 5'4"

Ladies, I have been turned on to PB2 from Bell plantation (you can order online)...it's powdered peanut butter with the oils removed to make it very much less fattening. I can have two table spoons per serving for 2 ww points. 2 tsp. has 45 cal., total fat 1.5g, carb 5g, sugar 1g, and protein 5g. You just mix it 2 tbsp of powder with 1 tbsp of water. It had a hard time getting it a few times because they are a small company and I was on a wait list...but it is pretty marvelous stuff!
boatingmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #7  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I don't really like peanuts (more of a cashew person myself), but I just wanted to say, "Who says FAT is bad?" Remember...anything done is excess is bad...but any food is just fine if eaten in moderation. I say...go ahead, enjoy your nutter butter!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #8  

I won't give up peanut butter. Only eat natural organic with no sugar. I usually buy the MaraNatha and/or Arrowhead Mills brands. I also buy the Almond butter to switch it up a bit.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #9  
Workin' It

I love peanut butter. I keep individual packets of natural peanut butter in my desk drawer at work. I also like almond and cashew butter. The Whole Foods near me will grind it fresh for you - I did an assorted nut butter once and it was interesting.

Like Jen, I've also increased the good fats in my diet over time, and PB helps with that.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I love peanut butter. I keep individual packets of natural peanut butter in my desk drawer at work. I also like almond and cashew butter. The Whole Foods near me will grind it fresh for you - I did an assorted nut butter once and it was interesting.

Like Jen, I've also increased the good fats in my diet over time, and PB helps with that.
Where do you find individual packets?? I want those!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

Absolutely, I eat it pretty much every day. My pre-workout snack of choice is peanut butter on toast. Also, I sometimes have "dessert" of greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter. SO good
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Peanut butter is a trigger food for me, unfortunately. I have taken to using almond butter (actually just almonds in a grinder at the store), which is pretty expensive. I don't use that much of it, though, but I do enjoy it. I might try grinding the peanuts at the store and seeing if that triggers anything. I think it might be the consistency of the natural stuff I buy that throws that obsessive switch in my brain.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #13  
Workin' It

Munchy - I actually got these at Wal Mart, but have seen them other places in different brands. Mine are Peanut Butter & Co., but they also have Justin's Nut Butter out there which get great reviews. It is one nicely measured serving in a packet, which helps me at work. If I had an entire jar here I would lose it.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #14  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8yk View Post
Also, I sometimes have "dessert" of greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter. SO good
Ooo - I have to try this.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I generally have 1 tablespoon/day. I only eat natural style, but my favorite brand is Teddy, with flaxseed oil (I think they must replace some of the peanut oil cuz it has the same # of calories). I like the texture -- it seems a little less oily and a bit stickier. That may not sound good, but I find it more satisfying and I can feel satisfied with just one tablespoon.

Last edited by yoyoma; 08-10-2011 at 01:27 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote