Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #16  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Shannon, I use it for Easter, which isn't considered a holiday by the Company, but which has always been an important holiday in my family, right up there with Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Oboegal, if you're talking about 1974, you're probably referring to the famous Ice Storm, the one that was the subject of Rick Moody's fiction & Ang Lee's film.

If snow is a beautiful nuisance, ice is a deadly beauty. It looks like a glass palace, when it's all finished. But it's awful for driving. Worse than snow.

To everyone who bawls over the SPCA commercial or changes the channel, are we heartless creatures or the opposite? Something to think about. I say the opposite.

Also, I'm trying to decide what I think of the guy who plays "Mayhem" on the insurance commercials. I think I'd like to slap him. I think that's why they cast him. I think he looks like someone who'd be really obnoxious to you at a party or in a bar, if he came onto you. Or like a person whom you do not want to be promoted to become your boss.

Last edited by saef; 01-17-2011 at 04:48 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I have to change the channel when the SPCA commercial comes on. The music - sappy pap IMHO - isn't what makes me cry. It's the expressions on the faces of the animals. I'm getting weepy typing about it - geez!

We have freezing rain, rain, snow flurries, and sunshine forecast for tomorrow. Plague of locusts anyone?
Walking and driving in the freezing rain is my least favorite part of the job.

That and cleaning diarrhea off puppies who have done it in their crate and then slept in it. BLEAGH!

DH and I have a romantic date tonite. We are getting flu shots together.

Just thought we'd end Monday on a high note .

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The Mayhem guy makes me laugh a bit. Can anyone really be so obnoxious and be able to cause so much harm without really understanding their actions? The first ones about the teen girls texting were so funny. My DD even dislikes the guy which makes me think that I did a good job raising her (so she wouldn't do something like that and think she could get away with it).

I can't imagine a company not observing Easter. Hmmm. We even give our employees President's Day off.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Isn't Easter a Sunday? I'm confused...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #20  
Girl Gone Strong

Jay, yes, of course, I mean Good Friday, although in some parts of the country, like where my mother's family is from, they also call the following day Easter Monday. (But where my mother grew up, they also get off from school the first day of deer-hunting season.)

Dagmar, these recent developments with your DH sound promising. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow while listening to the weather reports around 5 AM. I hope the weather holds off most of its nastiness till after your dog-walking tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #21  

I am ready to face the weather this morning (got my bug spray for the locusts ). After the flu shot I felt a bit strange so went to bed at 8 p.m. last night.

I slept through until 4 a.m. this morning. That's totally a record for me! I find (the 1 or 2 times a year I get enough sleep) that I am a different person when rested. Calm, confident, and totally sane.

That is something I'd love to feel more often.

Great Tuesday all!

Dagmar
Old 01-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #22  
Girl Gone Strong

Alas, it's not a great Tuesday, thus far anyway. What a mess outside. To walk to the gym this morning over the ice, I had to put on my YakTrax. (A few years ago, when I still ran out-of-doors almost daily, I used to run over packed snow & ice wearing my YakTrax.) For those who aren't familiar with this marvelous invention, see their website at http://www.yaktrax.com/Products . No, I have no connection with them whatsoever, I'm just a fan of their ice-cleat-like products. I gave my late father a pair for Christmas one year & they were definitely in the Top 10 Well-Received by Dad Christmas Presents of All Time.

It's the kind of day where I'll put all the lamps on throughout the house to make it brighter & probably start a batch of whole-wheat bread during my lunch hour.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #23  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone! Another dreary day in Atlanta, at least it is rain and not snow. Dropped my car off this morning to get my remote start system installed, Christmas present from my parents. Too bad I couldn't get it installed before the heavy duty cold last week!

Saef - I could have used YakTrax last week! None of our running stores carry them and people sure were fussy about that last week! Try to keep your house bright to offset the dreary! We do close on Easter Sunday, being a seven day a week business.

Dagmar - sleeping until 4am is late? Wow! Enjoy your rain of toads today.

Allison - I don't know who the Mayhem guy is, I don't watch enough mainstream tv that isn't on Hulu. Oh wait - the one that is in the car when a tree falls on it? Texts while crying and hits someone's car in the parking lot of a shopping mall?

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Shannon~the Mayhem guy is in commercials for Allstate insurance. Here is a link to some of the commercials Mayhem. It even has a montage of all the commercials. Pretty funny.

Sorry for all the yucky weather on the east coast. We've got sun and warmth here--so much so that my furnace didn't kick on this morning. We got up to 80 yesterday.

Last edited by alinnell; 01-18-2011 at 10:52 AM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #25  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

saef, thanks for mentioning YakTrax--I definitely need to look into those.

Dagmar, I sympathize about the sleep thing. My whole life, since early childhood, I haven't been able to fall asleep until I was good and ready, but I used to sleep soundly through the night. The last couple of years, I seem to wake up several times. I can usually cobble together a decent night's sleep, except on those nights that I wake up at 3 AM and can't fall asleep again.

One weird thing--I've always been a night person, with my ideal sleep time 1 to 2 AM and my ideal wake time 9 to 10 AM. For the last couple of months, though, I've been getting tired between 11 and 12 and waking up for good between 6 and 7. I don't know if it's connected to weight loss or age, or if it's just random.

I think the Mayhem guy is annoying/entertaining, like Carrot Top or Pauly Shore.

It's 34 degrees and overcast but forecast to get colder through the day, so I just went for my walk. Now they're forecasting snow tomorrow night and Thursday.
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #26  

So DH's new routine lasted all of 3 days. And he's quitting his job tomorrow (at least tonite he says he is).

I gently suggested that he go for a walk but he sat down in front of the TV and opened a bag of chips 5 minutes after dinner.

Sometimes I feel like I'm dealing with a particularly obstinate 12 year old.

SIGH.

Myabe the pendulum will swing back the other way tomorrow.

Dagmar
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

So sorry Dagmar.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #28  

Default regarding DH

I think the reason I post so much negative stuff about DH is that I'm posting in relation to what's triggering me to overeat/emotionally eat. etc.

He has his good moments too (but you don't see those because they have little to do with maintenance, diet, etc.).

So I will share one from last night.

People talk about being a "dog person" or a "cat person". I find I like both. DH and I were talking about this last night. He thought about it for a bit and then said

"I guess that makes you bi-petual".

Great hump day all!

Dagmar
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #29  
Girl Gone Strong

Dagmar, I can relate to the feelings. I'm not coping well with this bad weather, which I've responded to by staying indoors, except for trips to the gym. I haven't been eating, but I've been browsing & bidding on eBay too much. Months ago, I needed clothes, since I was trying to create a wardrobe for my size 10 & size 8 body (a little smaller on top than on bottom). Now, I don't need anything, as I've overbought. And am regretting it. I need to find other ways to occupy my quiet or anxious moments. Like reaching out to friends -- I'm not very good at responding to e-mails or returning calls. I claim that I don't have time. But apparently I have time to scroll through endless auction listings. To repeat my resolution: Less time online. (As she writes this on an online message board. Ha!)

Last edited by saef; 01-19-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #30  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Dagmar: So you're going to support both of you on your petcare business while he sits at home and mopes once his "weight loss program" gets tiring? Jeez. I bet you wish you hadn't made that "If that's what it takes, do it" statement!

I think you need to make it clear that he has to "pull his own weight," so to speak. I had to do that with a partner once. I was paying more of the expenses because I made more money--but one day I realized that all I was doing was enabling my partner to live a life of semi-leisure, instead of using my money to save for my retirement. And that suddenly seemed really stupid to me.

Live and learn...

ETA: Cute puns don't make up for being irresponsible.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-19-2011 at 08:34 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote