Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #46  
Workin' It

I'm just trying to survive the next two weeks and still have pants I can wear.

I'll be back in the 'no excuses' thread come January, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post

I'll be back in the 'no excuses' thread come January, too.
I bought a shimmery tweedy (not as gross as it sounds here) pencil skirt to wear on Christmas eve. I can still squeeze into it but I have to rein it in NOW!

On Christmas day and for the two days after that it's cords and sweaters (DH's family are unbelievably casual) so look out home baked anything - I'm a 'comin!

I'll see you in the "no excuses" thread in January!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #48  

Question What the ??? Any ideas?

I got a box of chocolate from one of my clients as a Christmas gift. I tucked it away in my filing cabinet to donate to the food bank today.

DH "found" it last night when he was "looking" for the directions for the snowblower. I told him it was for the food bank and that he'd get Belgian chocolate for Christmas.

I found the empty chocolate box on the kitchen counter this morning.

I don't know whether to be or worried. I never looked at DH as a binge eater, although now, seeing it with fresh eyes it's been there all along.

He eats the whole thing of everything. The whole bag of chips, the whole box of crackers, etc. So do I and I recognize myself as a binge eater.

It never occured to me that DH also might have an eating disorder. Somehow I never think of the male gender (men) when eating disorders come up. Whew!

Now I have to figure out how to gently broach the subject. In addition to asking all of you for your thoughts I'm thinking of writing to Dr. Phil. He seems to come up with good "scripts" for situations that people are having difficulty with.

Dagmar

P.S. My initial thought was to write PIG in big black felt pen on the lid of the box and leave it where DH could see it. That, I now realize, would not be constructive.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #49  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Just savoring the notion that gift chocolates are calorie free. I've extrapolated that to the box of homemade chocolate chip cookies that arrived in the mail. I'm apparently not ready to tell my dear brother and his wife that we just don't wantonly consume cookies anymore. My DW thrust them at me with a smirk, "Your relatives, your cookies."

Congratulations, Dagmar, for recognizing that writing "PIG" wouldn't be helpful. It is interesting that your DH might not know this about himself, or might not recognize that as binge eating. You might get away with something indirect like,
"Whenever I eat a whole bag or box of something, I call it binging so that I have a handle to be able to see it coming the next time."
Good luck; spousal communication isn't one of life's easier things.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #50  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
P.S. My initial thought was to write PIG in big black felt pen on the lid of the box and leave it where DH could see it. That, I now realize, would not be constructive.
DAGMAR when I read this I thought "Now that is something I would do!"...good move backing away from that.

Give me just a big bag of chips and, although I usually have too many, I can put the bag away for another time.....hand me some sour cream and onion dip to go with them and it's like "crack" to me!

BILL "Your relatives, your cookies"....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #51  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I had a mini-meltdown about bf being gone so long last night. After I sent him a sad text last night he cheered me up by sending me funny texts until he got off of work, then skyped with me for an hour, and I felt much better. Do you guys skype? I've also been skyping w my DS and my niece, so I get to "see" her a little more often as she grows. I love it!

I received a package of cookies at work from someone who gives homemade, really good cookies each year. I'm glad she's scaled back, now there are about 8 cookies versus the large tin she used to give. I've eaten them some years, given away some years and later wishing I hadn't. I saved mine for 4 whole days before eating them last night. I'm not beating myself up, but am not saying the holidays are "off plan" yet b/c that will be disastrous!

I lightly steamed the collard greens and dressed them with olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic, but now have been adding apple cider vinegar to them as I eat the leftovers. Saef, thanks for the Kalyn's kitchen recommendation. She's got tons of greens recipes! I first decided to make Macaroni w Lemon, Garlic, Parmesan, and Mustard Greens to feed myself for a few nights, but then got invited to dinner tonight and volunteered to bring greens, lol, so I might do something else with some of all of them to bring to dinner.

Dagmar, good luck handling the subject w DH. That's a tough one - making sure to come up as caring and not critical. There are some food items I have not learned to eat properly and I will binge on them until they're gone. That's why they don't enter my house!

Oh, those cookies I ate don't have calories? Sweet!

I'm headed to the gym just in case some of those calories beat the holiday magic block and are making their way to my hips! I've got plans with friends tonight and need to spend the weekend writing Christmas cards and sorting jellies and pickles for gifting. Have a good Saturday all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have a busy day planned. Grocery shopping, dog to the vet and then I'm making turkey soup this afternoon.

I have Skype on my computer but have not used it. My son uses it constantly and my daughter used it at Thanksgiving so we could all talk to my niece who is in Japan. DD had never used it so my niece had to give her pointers--like click on the video button so she could see us (we could see her just fine). I know my best friend used it a lot to connect with her boyfriend in Australia. He lives here now, but in a different city than she, so they still use it often. It is one handy tool.

Speaking of handy tools, DS and I were discussing a new app for the iPhone--it converts language for you (and really fast). I hope they make it for Android so we can get it!

Everyone have a wonderful weekend!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #53  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I was thinking about this and agreeing - then I realized, I can't let my gym pants count! I need to survive the holidays and have my non-elastic waists still be wearable, lol.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #54  

Bill re "Your relatives, your cookies"

Dagmar
Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #55  

So DH volunteered the idea (first thing when he got up yesterday with a huge "chocolate hangover") that his eating has become "a bit compulsive". I agreed and mentioned that we shouldn't beat ourselves up at holiday time.

I asked him what he thought we should do after the holidays were over. He thought we should just not buy certain things that trigger our binges (alcohol, cookies, sugary things, chips, etc.)

Then he went for a 2-hour walk. DH!

Dagmar
Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #56  
Chuggin' along...

That's great, Dagmar. How nice DH came to the realization himself!
Old 12-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #57  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Sundays are typically one of the harder days for me. I tend to graze, especially during football games, and it's easy for grazing on carrots to escalate into grazing on popcorn and, later, into ordering pizza.

Not today, though. The Boy and I were socked with a nasty stomach flu, and spent all night, um, expelling stuff. Today we're a bit better, but even the thought of food just doesn't sit right. Not that I'd recommend the stomach flu on anyone, but it sure has cut down on the Sunday munchies.

No exercise for me today, needless to say. Hope the rest of you are avoiding this glitch, which is making the rounds in our town with a vengeance.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #58  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I went looking for a pair of reasonably priced clogs in size 8W yesterday for my mother & instead ended up buying her a cashmere sweater, a pair of Portolano gloves, and a scarf. But I bought stuff for myself also. J. Crew had so much marked-down stuff spread out on its clearance tables, I couldn't help it. I had wanted a pair of black matchstick jeans & also a particular high-necked, pleated blouse, ink black, that looked Victorian steampunk. And there they were, in my size. At about 75% off.

Mother's coming tomorrow. So after getting home from the gym, I went to the grocery store. I've made a big pot of turkey pumpkin chili, I've sauteed apples & red cabbage, I'm letting some whole-wheat oatmeal bread rise. I've got a load of dishes in the dishwasher. I need to scrub the bathroom floor, and then I need to attack the kitchen floor. (She will clean them again while she's here, because she is like that, but I will do them in the meantime.)

And after that, I need to get on my company's network & write up a piece promised for first thing tomorrow morning, which should take maybe two hours.

Oh, and bike bag purchased. Thanks so much for the idea!

Now if the mail will just cooperate & those last three Christmas gifts turn up early in the coming week.

I need something tonight. A hot tub soak. Or something. I don't know. But something to make Sunday feel less like one task after another.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote