Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default am I losing it?

This is so weird. I used to be sooo tempted by all of the sweet things that showed up in the store before Christmas. Cookies, shortbread, special candies, toffees, fruitcake (I know, I'm weird) and all the rest of it.

Now it all looks so gross and artificial to me. Am I going ?

But now I'm over the special cracker assortments and I haven't even dared go near the cheese counter. And the guy was unpacking the large trays of assorted nuts as I strolled past. I ran up the next aisle and to the checkout -

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #17  
Workin' It

Most of the store bought baked goods look yucky to me now too, Dagmar. Homemade, well that is a different story...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Well, the runny nose I had Monday turned into a full-blown cold. I'm not miserable, but I'm not pleased. I have this tickle that gives me a coughing fit--usually in the middle of the night. It's disrupted one whole night of sleep and I ended up going home early yesterday to catch up on some rest, but was attacked by a naughty kitten instead.

The weather is really warming up here this weekend so we're golfing tomorrow. I hope my cold doesn't interfere with my fun.

We're going to go see Harry Potter on Sunday.

We got a huge box of chocolate covered cookies here at the office yesterday. They're beautiful, but somehow the chocolate looks artificial. DH threw away the wrapper so I can't check the ingredients to see if they used the real thing or not. Due to my cold I can't discern the smell, either. I haven't tasted them though. And I agree, homemade cookies are MUCH better. I was going to bake again this year but can't seem to find the time.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #19  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

So at work today they were doing free body fat analysis, so of course I went since I've been meaning to have my body fat checked for a long time. They used a device that you basically just hold between your hands, and they type in your height and weight, and it calculates your BF% via electrical resistance.

Sadly, it told me that I have 33% body fat, which knocks me into the "too fat" category. I'm not sure how much to ignore it because those devices aren't very accurate, or if I should actually be upset about this and let it motivate me to work harder. I guess I feel like after all this time and all this exercise, I ought to have a BF% that is at least in the normal range.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Dagmar, I am also much more tempted by the cheese and crackers these days.

I will agree with Shannon that the homemade baked goods are still tempting, though. A coworker brought in some raisin bread - YUM. But of course it's more like cake than "bread".

Allison, hope you feel better soon. Enjoy Harry Potter! I saw it last week - lots of fun but still nowhere near as good as the books. Funny that your DH threw away the wrapper on the sweets - sounds like something my BF would do as he always rolls his eyes when I check ingredients or nutrition content.

I'm feeling a little down on myself lately. In early September, I idealistically signed up for the half marathon that I ran last year. It's this Sunday, and I'm backing out of doing it. With trying to finish my master's degree, I just haven't had time to do any real training and I know I could finish but I'd probably just end up hurting myself. I hate not following through on things, but I really don't think this race is a good idea right now.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Allison-- feel better! I loved Harry Potter, but yes, the books are much better.

Jessica-- I can't believe that body fat analysis could be correct at your weight and activity. Sounds ridiculous to me. That sounds like the device I did that said I have 12% body fat. Of course, I wanted to believe my number but in reality we are probably both somewhere in between!

Iris-- don't feel bad! Trying to do a marathon right now would be crazy. Take it from me-- I know!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Someone posted in an old thread re Lilybelle. Have any of you heard any news?

Dagmar
I have IM her with no response, I suggested maybe her daughter could give us an update. No answer, I am worried about her.

Last edited by bargoo; 12-10-2010 at 12:09 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #23  

bargoo I don't know anything about liver transplants but I think, if all went well, that Lily would probably have checked in somewhere on 3FC by now. I'm certainly not suggesting the worst outcome but it is worrisome that she's been silent for so long.

I guess we just wait.

Dagmar
Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
So at work today they were doing free body fat analysis, so of course I went since I've been meaning to have my body fat checked for a long time. They used a device that you basically just hold between your hands, and they type in your height and weight, and it calculates your BF% via electrical resistance.

Sadly, it told me that I have 33% body fat, which knocks me into the "too fat" category. I'm not sure how much to ignore it because those devices aren't very accurate, or if I should actually be upset about this and let it motivate me to work harder. I guess I feel like after all this time and all this exercise, I ought to have a BF% that is at least in the normal range.
I did two tests using those devices, about 3 1/2 weeks apart. My weight changed about 2 lbs. between tests and I did no more/no less exercise than my normal routine.

The first test said I had 37% (!) body fat, the second 19%. So I basically cut my body fat by half in 21 days - b*llcr*p! That's what I think of most of those devices.

One trainer I spoke with said that you could alter the device's body fat measurement by drinking a couple of bottles of water. Ditto those home use scales that claim to measure body fat.

Dagmar
Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #25  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

So sad to agree with you DAGMAR on LILYBELLE....even when she wasn't on regular she would check in.

Here's praying she is just without internet service!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
bargoo I don't know anything about liver transplants but I think, if all went well, that Lily would probably have checked in somewhere on 3FC by now. I'm certainly not suggesting the worst outcome but it is worrisome that she's been silent for so long.

I guess we just wait.

Dagmar
I feel the same way, it is not like her to not check in with us. I have had answers from her in the past on IM but nothing, now.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #27  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

IRIS...are you sure you want to back out?

My daughter will be running in that race
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #28  

Met the new puppy yesterday. Chubby, blonde, friendly, soft and cuddly. Quincy will be joining the bus on Jan. 3rd. 2011 looks pretty good already.

And I was offered a little girl puppy as well. No more room on the bus - SIGH. I do love the puppies - so new, excited to be outside, and eager to experience everything!

Dagmar
Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #29  

Dagmar, wish I could see the puppies, love puppies, but the house training......and the new teeth ow !
Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

It was 85 degrees here yesterday so DH and I went golfing with his parents. Not a bad day for December, but due to my cold, I wasn't able to finish the whole 18 holes. At about #15 I got a coughing attack and everytime after that that I put my head down to shoot, my nose would start running causing another coughing attack. So I just walked the last few holes. It was sad, though, I was hitting some really good shots--much better than last time. Note to self: it's true that one should keep their head down!

We were hoping to go see Burlesque on Friday night, but DH thought I'd probably choke on the popcorn (so true) so we stayed in instead. Today we'll go see Harry Potter.

Ah, puppies! The best part about puppies is puppy breath! The worst part is potty training!

Not much more to add here. Hoping for the best for Lily as well.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote