Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Default What would you do?

Howdy,
I sometimes feel like I am in an alternate universe with the conversations people direct towards me about weight loss. No one asks about maintanence even though IT is in the back of my mind when talking about MY WL.

Mondays, the children & I ride. The manager of the stables, an older woman in her 50 yrs, very active and trim to me, saw a TV news show about the dangers of sugar, and was concerned about enlarging middle section and the other problems with sugar. She was stunned with my WL of nearly 60# (weight varies between 55-60#. I round to the nearest 5# depending on the day. I figure no one really cares if it is 58.2# but me). Last week, she was asking detailed questions about what I did in relation to sugar and I told her about the various authors, doctors, and articles I have read coupled with my own experience. I forwarded said information to her. She has only dial up in the country, so no YouTube interviews:-(

Today, she happy showed her new dietary changes, dark chocolate kisses, a small Gala Apple and Cheese Nips. The kisses are fine in moderation plan but the Cheese Nips I knew were just processed carbs, bad for insulin spikes, and middle fat accumulation. I didn't say anything about the Nips, she was so enthusastic, I will see her all year, so if carbs come up I can say something. My riding pants are form fitting, leaving my maintanence progress easy to see as well which is what she noticed last week. The other riding instructors in the office, about my age, are also following my progress.

The quandry: I let the Nips pass but now I wonder if I should have said something. Dr. Lustig does focus on sugar as #1 (the limited conversation topic) while Gary Taubes focuses on processed carbs overall with sugar being one form. Time was also limited as another lesson was starting.

Slender people talking to me about WL is unreal.

What would you do?
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I would praise her for her efforts and keep my mouth shut about the cheese nips. She doesn't need anything discouraging at this point.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 09-20-2010 at 07:46 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Isn't hard not to get carried away. I try my best to only offer advice when it's asked, but even then I find myself going into too much detail and peoples faces just start to glaze over. I think that if the topic comes up again, you could offer more, but for now I agree with Jay.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen925 View Post

Slender people talking to me about WL is unreal.
Haha. I remember when this first started happening to me (now I'm used to it, kinda). But boy it was so surreal. They're asking ME - ME - about weight LOSS. Mind blowing.

Anyway. You're in a tough position. Because she initially did ask your advice. Well you gave her the information, but unfortunately she chose a different way to interpret that information. Certainly not the path you had in mind or one that will help her in the long run. Kind of sad.

If the opportunity arises, like if any door at all opens towards this area, I may sneak in some specific examples of what are good, healthy snacks to eat. Although, she might not want to hear it. Kind of sad.

And may I just say, a mental image of you in those riding pants popped into my head as you described them and it was a real good one!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Asking someone for advice and then following it are two different animals.

It's hard to deal with people who don't have access to all the great info online. I usually just ask for an email address and then send them some links and hope they are interested enough to start doing their own research from there.

As for the Cheese Nips I would just tell her to look very carefully at the nutritional info on all processed snack packages.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #6  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen925 View Post
What would you do?
Everyone above gave good suggestions.
"What I would do" isn't necessarily the best advice.
It would really just depend on what seemed appropriate at the moment.
I'd say something, or not, at the time,
and then work to let the event go.

I've found that going back to "straighten out something I said that was misunderstood"
can be important with family and close friends,
but tends to be inappropriate with casual accquaintences.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Love you guys

I will leave it alone unless she brings it up again.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote