Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #61  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hi guys
My operation has stalled. Still at 128.5, so maintaining that recent loss but really not moving the scale at all. I am moving my body but not enough.
Here's something pretty strange-- I wake up starving in the middle of the night--- like STARVING. And I surely am not eating at that time so I suffer for some time and then go back to sleep. This has happened a number of times. Most likely due to my less than optimal food choices, I guess. Just b/c cookies are small, cute and come from trader joes, they still have white flour and sugar, which might be prompting this true hunger.
-not the most optimal update, but checking in and updating nonetheless...
-hope you're all doing better on this operation 5-10 than I am
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #62  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

kitty - I can relate to the midnite starvings - for me the magic hour is between 2:30 and 3:30am. Could very well be the cookies ... or a lingering metabolism spike? Agreed, it's uncomfortable. While I'm not normally a post-dinner snacker (but oh gawd, I need help with late afternoon!), I have gotten up a couple of times to eat something like a cheese stick. My tummy has to be growling like a mad thing for me to be inspired to leave the bed, though!

I'm in a very bad head place at the moment. Not so much with food/exercise ... I'm just wildly disorganized, feeling overwhelmed, and very stuck. This is a classic spot for me (a true, 100% INFJ, for those Myers-Briggs fans) - I need to noodle/analyze/overthink, and then I will come out of the mental hole with the right mindset to commit to actions. In the meantime, I have to accept it as a necessary evil.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #63  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey, ICUWishing! I'm an INTJ.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #64  
No description available.

I'm glad you checked in, Kitty. I find that if I am hungry in the middle of the night, then I didn't overeat the day before. So I find it a little reassuring, but, yah, cute cookies are still cookies!

ICU, late afternoon is a hard time for me and food too. I just had 2 hardboiled egg whites and an orange and I'm posting it cause I'm proud of it.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #65  
Recovering Pantry Pest

jay - then you know of the headspace problem.

midwife - I'd be proud of that one too! I'm learning to do the small handful of nuts before I leave work for the day, so that's 5/7ths of the problem solved. Weekends ... oy. I need to replace the munchies with piano practice time. I can't stuff my face if I'm tangling fingers, right?

I have completed Week 1 of the C25K. In a week and a half. But I did it.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #66  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy

Also not doing as well as I'd hoped. I don't have the middle of the night hunger (commiserations, KC, and Becky) but I'm not managing to get the exercise, food, sleep trio singing in harmony.

My injuries are niggling, despite taking it oh so easily at the gymn. Obviously need to baby myself even more.

I'm not getting quite enough sleep to get me through now term has started with all its demands. I'm no good at multi-tasking; it niggles me. The after-school session of driving about, washing up, making the tea, helping with homework and unpacking school dramas is not something I go for. At all. Everyone here understands the difficulty and we are all working on how to improve the set-up and to smooth the operation. It's partly temporary as the SO is flat out on a project at present but that will not be for ever.

So yesterday I did not have enough energy for the 0830 workout. I thought it would invigorate me. It didn't. Yesterday I had also decided to cut back on lunch, very slightly. This is a tried and trusted method and, every time, it backfires. So then I overate rubbish, starting around 1600 (see tricky time, above. Becky - you certainly know about this, don't you?). (Rubbish = biscuits aka cookies. And some pnb.) And I have done it this morning too, though not rubbish but too much.

But today I have taken a Mental Health Day. That is for my mh and for the mh of others in the household too. Luckily, I can do this (run own business) as my clients are being a bit slow in responding to drafts. I am regrouping. But I remain disgruntled.

Perhaps I'll go and have a sleep. It's 1030. That's in the morning.

Thanks, All.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 AM   #67  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Becky, yeah, the headspace problem. For me, this happens in the context of my work. In my case it manifests as an anxious, uncomfortable sense that I don't know what to do--I have no idea how to proceed. Experience has taught me (as it sounds like it has you) that even though "I" don't know, another part of my mind is processing it, and in awhile solutions will come through. I've been through this process just dozens and dozens of times, but it's uncomfortable anyway while it lasts.

Silverbirch, I read about your sore shoulder. Take it easy! I have to watch carefully with my right shoulder--I don't lift more than about 5 pounds overhead, and I have to keep my elbow forward, never out to the side.

Jay
Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #68  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Birds of a feather, Jay! At work, I tend to be late with deadlines, but when I finally "git 'er done", it always surpasses expectations. I don't like to be a project lead, I don't like design - but I have a knack for optimizing other people's ideas. I DETEST being the center of attention, but I like to be part of a team support. Thank goodness I have a boss who is remarkably attuned to how to work with those strengths. Wish he didn't try quite so hard to build on my weaknesses, though - it frustrates both of us.

silverbirch and Jay - I empathize so much with the shoulder issues! I went for 7 years having to back into shirts hanging on the door, or getting the spouse to help, because I couldn't get either arm up beyond parallel with the floor. Physical therapy - two bouts. Steroid injections - OW!!! MRI - gee, it's all normal in there. YEARS of not swimming, afraid to lift anything, destroying my liver with Tylenol and various other NSAIDs. That MRI should have been a clue, but it was still three more years before I sought out a "quack" - a chiropractor. One X-ray of my neck was all it took - C7/T1 so very obviously out of whack that even me, the layman, went "WTF???" I count myself among the fortunate, despite a deep level of resentment for the poor root-cause analysis skills of the medical community. I dearly hope that both of you can find healing and full function again!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #69  
in development

Thanks, Becky. I do see a chiropractor who helps things but I'm working on the "how much?" "of what kind?" can I do?

Seven years was a long time to suffer but look at your swimming now!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #70  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey again!

Becky, I think that's the difference between INTJ and INFJ. One of my closest friends is an INFJ, and she, too, HATES to be the center of attention. I don't mind it much, although I am definitely an individual contributor type. In fact, acting in community theater is one of my avocations.

I have always found chiropractic to be helpful. My neck isn't the issue in my shoulder, though--it's from an accident in which my shoulder dislocated, and it's been unstable ever since. But, I do have some exercises that strengthen the rotator cuff, and I've been doing them quite consistently for some time. My shoulder is really good now--no pain at all. I still avoid some moves, though. I do not throw baseballs, for example.

Now, if only I could get my vertebrae to calm down. I have inflammation of some sort, and chiropractic helps only a little.

Jay
Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #71  
in development

Oh, Jay! Which exercises do you do for the rotator cuff? It would be helpful for me to try them out. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #72  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

My weight is creeping up. Only half a pound, but it's still up and hasn't dipped under 138 for a couple weeks. I need to drop a couple pounds to give me holiday wiggle room. Time to stop eating so much junk and start working out more.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #73  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

hi everyone

i posted in the 100+ forum for a an accountability buddy on my last 10-20lbs, and rockinrobin suggested i check out this thread.

not precisely sure of my GW, but def want to lose 5-10lbs this year.

look forward to hearing how everyone else is progressing and offering any support i can
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #74  
in development

xty

Good to see you.

We are in varying states of progress here. Indeed, various states of repair. Please just join in and take us as you find us.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #75  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey xty! Welcome!

SilverBirch, first of all, you should rest your shoulder from any activity for at least two days if you are having pain. Ice packs are a good thing--you know the drill for that, I presume.

There are plenty of websites that show rotator cuff exercises. Here is just one of them:

http://askthetrainer.com/rotator-cuff-exercises.html

These are similar to what I do. However, do not use the size weights that are shown by the male model. a 2 pound weight (1kg) is sufficient to start. The difficult thing about a problem shoulder is wanting it to get better too fast. I use a 4 pound (a bit under 2 kg) weight these days, but I've been working at it for a long time.

Good luck with it!

Jay