Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #61  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

The situation with the truffles came up last night. I did eat 2 - they were the cute little "junior" size ... maybe a 1/2" diameter. It's the first candy that's passed my lips in a very long time, and I truly enjoyed them. Happy to report that it didn't kick off any excessive cravings. Still hanging in there with the factory-built candy; my mental Halloween costume is that of a person who isn't even tempted.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #62  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I still haven't eaten any Halloween candy.

The attractions that I wrestled with over the past weekend weren't related to mass-produced fun-size candy bars; they were related to going leaf-peeping in Connecticut, and the accompanying restaurant-going & village window shopping. I had to say no to pumpkin muffins stuffed with cream cheese; a pumpkin pecan tart; apple & raisin & walnut cobbler; warm apple dumpling with home-made ice cream melting on top. Oh, God, this was ****.

I did treat myself to a side dish of pureed butternut squash that probably had some maple involved, because it was wonderfully sweet, though not sickly. I feel so guilty where sugar is involved that this was actually quite scary for me.

But I seem okay, a few days later, and it didn't cause any cravings.

The **** of excellent home-made baked goods at the holidays has definitely begun. I can say "no" to a Snickers or Kit-Kat without blinking. But stuff with pumpkin & spices & frosting & flaky crusts & fruit fillings & etc. ... God save me.

I haven't had any. Yet. I'm full of resolve. I hope I can stay that way, rather than full of sweet carbs.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I ate 2 Hershey's Kisses - the new apple one and the new pumpkin one. I don't really consider that breaking my pledge. Yes, they were wrapped in orange Halloween foil, but I just wanted to try them. Apple was kind of icky, but the Hershey's Pumpkin kiss was delish. No regrets.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Now comes the big challenge though. We bought Halloween candy this past weekend. The bags are still sealed, and placed in a large plastic bag, which is tied up and hidden behind a bunch of stuff on a high shelf in the closet which we never go into for anything. We plan to leave it there until Halloween night, and since Halloween is a Sunday, it will be easy to bring all the leftovers straight in to work Monday morning and dispose of them.
Heh, does no one else pick candy they hate? I always get miniature Almond Joys because I think they are DISGUSTING. Chances of eating? 0.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #65  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Heh, does no one else pick candy they hate? I always get miniature Almond Joys because I think they are DISGUSTING. Chances of eating? 0.
I know. Sigh. And everytime I read about you handing out Almond Joys, I want to take my kids trick or treating to your house because I do like Almond Joys, and they don't, and so I would get your Almond Joys.

I did however buy Swedish Fish and Sour Patch Kids to put in the Halloween box I sent to DD. We had a lot leftover, but I think they are yucky, so no temptation.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #66  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

LOL Glory, DH and I have many memories of trick-or-treating and being annoyed at getting the "bad" candy from people that we want to make sure we are a house the kids like to come to. (Let's ignore for the moment that kids shouldn't eat so much candy.) That and since my rule is that candy is allowed on Halloween night, I want to make the most of it. Almond Joys are one of my biggest weaknesses!

I think the funniest (and most annoying) thing I ever got trick-or-treating was one year where someone gave us a pamphlet about how to find Jesus instead of candy. I think they were from one of those religions that thinks Halloween is devil worship.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #67  
Meg

Saef, yep, we're kicking off the hardest part of the year. And that's why our Thanksgiving pledge thread ("It'a A Holi-DAY, Not Week Or Month!") is going up as soon as we're through Halloween. Though perhaps we need a "Half Price Halloween Candy Is No Bargain" thread for the day after Halloween.

No Halloween candy here either. I keep telling myself how nasty it is. Truth be told, the temptation would be some good quality chocolate. But nary a bite, lick, nor taste of any candy has passed my lips.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #68  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Just touching bases to stay the course. No candy in my house or office - I'm still on track with zero consumption. BUT, the stores seem to have more space devoted to Halloween candy each time I shop - very annoying.

My real challenge will be the week after; many, many folks will bring in stuff to the office and put it in the rooms with the printers, so you have to confront it.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #69  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I'm a cheater. I had about 8 candy corns at our neighborhood's Fall festival.

Then I bought two bags of candy corn for a craft for my daughter's first-grade Halloween party, only to find out that I can't use it due to possible peanut cross-contamination. Seriously. So I have two bags of crack cocaine, I mean, candy corn, sitting in my dining room. Can't even hand it out on Sunday because it's not wrapped in individual sizes -- just two big bags. Maybe DH can bring it to work.

I won't by giveaway candy until this weekend, though I'm usually good about leaving it alone until Halloween (and then it's a free-for-all).

I also have resisted making little pretzel-kiss-m&m treats with my daughters. This is one of our favorites, using the seasonally-colored m&ms. Again, maybe I'll make some, save a few for the kids and send the rest in with DH. Though if I keep doing this his whole department may fail their PRT (physical readiness test).
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #70  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

A pumpkin muffin stuffed with cream cheese? Really? Saef ... I bow down before you. I've never been presented with something like that, and I think my odds of walking away successfully would have been very slim (anti-pun intended).
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #71  

Saef & Becky, I had to skim the part re: all the delicious baked treats Saef said no to.

So I have two bags of crack cocaine, I mean, candy corn, sitting in my dining room.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #72  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Default Is Candy Evil because it lacks a Health Halo?

Interesting article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/di...andy.html?_r=2
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #73  

Height: 5'5

My mantra for the next week is

Do I want to EAT fun size? or do I want to BE funsize?
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #74  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the link, Bright Angel! It was a pretty fascinating article. I have to say I think it's pretty crazy that there are people who think jelly beans are somehow way more unhealthy than chocolate chip cookies. Jelly beans are just sugar, while chocolate chip cookies are sugar AND fat.

I think not realizing how unhealthy so many "health" foods are contributes to the obesity problem in the US. Granola bars and Gatorade are some of the best examples of "health" foods that really are not very healthy at all (unless you are an endurance athlete, in which case they have value).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #75  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
My mantra for the next week is

Do I want to EAT fun size? or do I want to BE funsize?
I love this! this!