Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/136/134

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Maintainence Milestone Year #2 (Almost)

I decided to post this about 1 1/2 months early because although my actual weight maintainence milestone date is October 1st, it seems like most maintainers agree this date is somewhat anticlimatic because it's just another day of the same ol' same ol': being mindful of food choices, counting calories, working out, cutting up fruits/veggies for snacks, prepacking work lunch, etc.

When I reached my maintenance year #1 I thought I knew it all. This past year has been very different & I've learned so much more:

1) Having an injury is not an excuse unless you let it be an excuse. At the time, I felt my runner's knee injury (in both knees!) was the worse thing that ever happened to me. My first thought was I'm going to gain all the weight back! Now I realize it was one of the best learning experiences of my life because it forced me to adapt my workout routine & improve my eating habits to deal with the injury.

When I looked back at my past workout logs I realize I focused more on high impact activities (running, jumping rope, kickboxing) versus strength-training & yoga, mainly because I felt I needed the cardio to to keep my weight down. As I head into my 40's next year, I realize I need to balance my workouts. I spent a lot of time discussing my injuries w/ 3 different sports therapists & searching for additional advice & workouts on-line. With this new fitness knowledge I kept modifying my lower body exercises & incorporating them into my new fitness routine.

Furthermore, I took a Chi Running class to learn a new type of running form that's supposed to be easier on the knees (works less of the quads & more the hamstrings). It was a bit awkward after running the same way for the past 17 years but I knew I could do it if I keep up the practice. Never ever would I ever have thought I'd take a class like this but as I've learned you can never "know" everything when it comes to fitness for me the key is to keep learning/trying new things & setting new fitness goals to keep motivated (Thank you Mandalinn!)

In addition, I find as I get older I need more "recovery" workouts like yoga so I don't get injured again & I'm also enjoying my strength-training more (I used to dislike weights & just rush through my routine then go for a run). I realized I need variety to keep up with my strength-training so I vary my fitness equipment (dumbbells, medicine ball, body weight) & routines. I'm excited because I just bought my 1st kettlebell & took a class to learn how to use it.

I had I always wondered in the back of my mind if I couldn't run anymore...would I be able to keep up my fitness level & keep the weight off? Now I know the answer.

2) There is always room for improvement when it comes to nutrition. In order to get through this injury, I really focused on eating better versus using exercise to burn it off the extra calories. Meghan reminded me it's not the time to start eating junk food. Exercise was always easier for me versus eating well and I had the "I run so I can eat" mentality for years. However, when I got injured I could not rely on just my cardio burning workouts to keep me in shape. Therefore, I focused on trying to get at least (5) servings of fruits/veggies daily (some days were better then others) as well as eating more quality foods (less processed/fried/refined) to keep my calories low. As it turned out, my body adjusted to these foods and I found myself actually craving better quality foods versus "junk" foods.

Furthermore, I find myself more confident now when I attend social functions (my weakness) as I really try to focus on portion control & quality food choices. This is a different approach to relying on long runs to burn off the calories I was planning to consume prior to the party (& then having to run again the next day because I consumed way too much food than I originally planned.)

2) I've learned not to get so so angry or defensive at people who attempt to derail my efforts to practice a healthy lifestyle. I used to think everyone was out to get me to get fat again. Although part of it may be true because of jealousy, I know it's how I react to these people that sets the tone. In addition, whether it's eating a salmon & green beans during lunch, choosing a grilled chicken salad at a restaurant & forgoing dessert or indulging in a piece of cake at a party - people only see a small sliver of my choices & oftentimes base their assumptions of my "diet" based on what they see at the moment.

Furthermore, I don't feel the need to explain myself anymore or more importantly, downplay my food choices to make other people feel better about their indulgences. The other day at work someone bought store-bought cupcakes to a party (which I personally feel are very dry so I would rather save my indulgences for something fresh-baked). A co-worker asked me why I wasn't going to have a cupcake. I replied, "I'm not running an extra 20 minutes to burn those calories - it's not worth it". He just laughed & no one else said a thing. I've discovered depending on the situation (especially at work) that being firm is pretty effective.
Also, I realized my co-workers have gotten used to my healthy food choices because I've stood my ground & they just don't want to hear it (guilt) so they pretty much leave me alone.

Another thing I won't stand anymore is someone downplaying my workouts. Recently at a party my aunt looked at my muscular legs (she knows I run) & commented "your legs are getting fat". I smiled sweetly, pointed at them & replied, "They're not fat...they're all muscle". Another aunt said I looked too weak & skinny. I flexed my biceps & stated "I'm not weak...I'm strong...see". In both instances they just laughed & walked away. My 1st aunt (who incidently lost a bunch of weight & is slowly gaining it back) proceeded to tell my other cousins how fat they looked & to the ones who were still young & skinny she told them "when you turn 40 you'll get fat". OMG! I believe the sabateurs can sense weakness & if you stand your ground they will look for other prey.

I hope I don't sound arrogant but from trial & experience in dealing with the sabateurs around me this method works for me. I had felt so alone for the longest time in my quest to maintain my healthy lifestyle so I turned it around & finally sought support on-line (thank you 3FC!). In addition, I found (3) personal trainer friends on-line that I correspond with regularly to help me keep motivated. I realize it's a state of mind & I don't feel so isolated anymore and even though it's not a popular choice by society's standards it's my choice & I won't let anyone play mind games with me to tell me otherwise.

3) I don't want to end up like my MIL, who is my biggest challenge to this date & #1 sabateur (funny isn't it that it's another family member?). As I mentioned in an earlier post, she's a passive agressive individual who wants more than anything to get back to her unrealistic weight in her 20's (she looks great for her age but has always for years been wanting to lose at least 5-10 more lbs). Every single visit she makes a comment about her weight "I'm down to 125 lbs because I had gum surgery & didn't eat for days" or she'll ask her children what their current weight is (to my husband "how much do you weigh now? You're arms look skinny" - to which he ignored her). Ironically she hasn't asked me how much I weigh because the last time she made a comment to me "you could probably lose a little more weight" to which I replied "No, I already know I look good" she said nothing.

She also used to pit her fitness/nutrition knowledge against mines. Funny thing, I believe she senses I won't be rattled by her anymore because she's realizing I actually know a thing or two about fitness (she didn't even know what a kettlebell was) & I have good friends who are personal trainers. I think she finally realizes I'm not going through a "phase" anymore since I've been able to maintain my weight for almost 2 years, although she still tries to sabatage my efforts (i.e. sending a chantilly cake home with us after dinner, bringing a huge box of pastries for my b-day, or bringing a bag full of easter or halloween candies because of the 1/2 off sale after the holidays - all of which we either threw away or gave it away).

Unfortunately, she has a daughter living with her who was diagnosed with clinical depression (go figure). My last post I noted her daughter gained 40 lbs but she recently packed on additional 50 lbs (she's at an all-time high of +90 lbs).

I have to add my MIL recently went through 2 hip replacement surgeries because she focused solely on high impact exercises (running & aerobics) for years to just to keep her weight down since she's very vain about her looks. This lead me to my next realization...

3) I've had to adjust my maintenance weight. I think it was Saef who said the realistic maintenance weight may not be at my "hottest" & Jayell who said maintainence weight needs to be realistic. I was so focused on getting back to where I was at before my injury (130 lbs) that I was getting really bummed out on a 4 lb weight gain I added...4 pounds! Why was I being so hard on myself? I would criticize myself in pictures about how I wasn't as skinny as I used to be when I was running & I was determined to get back to my skinny clothes.

I'm only 5'3" so a 4 lbs does make a little difference in my really fitted & "looking hot" clothing. One day I finally decided to put away my skinny clothes (sniff) and I realized I still have a closet full of clothes that made me feel great. So I decided to go shopping to add more clothes to my wardrobe. I'm actually thinking now I'll probably donate those fitted clothes because now that I'm finally running again, I'm not going to go back to my preworkout routine before I got injured (running 4+ days a week). Therefore, I'm not going to focus on getting back to 130 lbs anymore because it's just not worth it. So I upped my maintenance weight range from to 134-137 lbs (I'm usually at 136 lbs).

Of course, some days are better than others. There are days I still get bummed out about what I see on the scale even though I should know better. However, maintenance is a never ending journey & I wonder what will be in store for me in my next year of maintenance.
workingmom1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and realizations.
And Congratulations!!
I'm about at my 2 years as well........ come to think of it, I'm about 2.5 years.

I'm going to ponder what you've said about exercise. I do a good deal of high impact exercise and I've not really had any injuries but I should probably incorporate some lower impact exercise too. I don't run much so I think most of what I do is okay though (usually elliptical, spinning, dancing, and bootcamp). When I was out of town recently, dh and I ran because we didn't have access to a gym. He has now been in severe pain (his hip) since we returned and he won't see a doctor. I hope he didn't seriously injure something.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #3  
Workin' It

I enjoyed reading your story, thanks for sharing! I am also about to reach two years, and do mostly high impact exercise. This year I have incorporated yoga and have been considering ChiRunning. Reading your post reminded me I should check it out.

Family is sometimes more critical than anyone else, aren't they... Sometimes deliberate, sometimes clueless. My mom and I have struggled with that over the years, too. Sounds like you are handling your family well.

Congratulations on the milestone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #4  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Congratulations on this impressive anniversary. I plan to take your insights and relate them to my maintenance as I'm still a relative new maintainer.

on all the saboteurs in your life. With so many people not being supportive, it's even more impressive what you've done. I'm so thankful I don't have that problem. I do, however, hate strength training.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote