Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #31  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I've actually been to the gym 3 days in a row now, which is the first time in a long time due to all the craziness at work. It feels good. I've lost a lot of my intensity, which I'm very disappointed about, and I need to start building it back up. Now that the extra work hours are gone, I will get to the gym 5x a week. My diet has really become atrocious, and August is full of social events, which won't help the cause. I really need to catch up on sleep and re-center my efforts. It's hard when it's so hot. I can't use that as an excuse, but I'll also be very happy when the fall weather comes. Ok, there, I've said what has been running through my brain for a few months now.

I've been telling BF for several years that I want to go lobstering in the Florida Keys, and that we never go on vacation except to see our families for the holidays. Well a few weeks ago he actually booked a house in the Keys for the entire month of October (split w/ a friend). I probably will only be able to leave work for 2-3 weeks, but oh gosh, I'm so excited!

Amy, maybe you could do a short treadmill run now and then fit in a road run later if you're able?

Dagmar, I can't go shopping when I'm tired either. I get very frustrated with clothes not fitting. I definitely can't do skinny jeans. I've always had very thick calves, even after losing weight (my dear friends do tell me it's b/c they're muscular and I work out, but they're still larger than the average!). Skinny jeans, cowboy boots, will never fit on me.

Shannon, BF has Dish Network satellite service and pays the monthly insurance. It's definitely paid for itself as he's had his receiver replaced twice at no charge. I mention it b/c it seems to be a trend. I don't believe in extended warranties either, but if I got a satellite at my house I would pay the insurance after BF's experiences. Like JayEl, we also get many severe storms and have all kinds of power surges, outages, and lightning strikes in NoFlo (that's North Florida).

Shannon, have a fun visit w/ your friend! Hope DSS's behavior improves.

Marie, you're so right, being at home (and eating at home!) really helps w/ a healthy lifestyle. Sticking to a routine really helps me stick to my healthy lifestyle, even though it's really fun to go visit new places.

Have a great Thursday all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar-- shopping can certainly kill any positive feelings we have about ourself. Sorry!!

Same7lbs (sorry, I forgot your name)-- I am a school librarian. Pat is a recently retired public librarian. I'm happy to answer any questions if you have them.

I go back to work today in fact. I don't officially go back until next Monday but today is our registration, and tomorrow I'm going to "library camp". I went in yesterday to prepare for registration and found out we will have "over 1,000" students! This is at an elementary school! My eye has been twitching ever since! I've already sent the principal an email asking for my hours to be increased (I'm at 35 but I'd like to be at 40). Because we don't get any library funding, my biggest fundraiser is at registration. I "sell" adopt-a-books-- students can "adopt-a-book" and get their name put into a new book. This, in turn gives me $$ to purchase new books and supplies for the library. Wish me luck! It will be a long day! I've solicited dd to help me. I have to go wake her up which may be the hardest part of the day!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Amy~it's Shannon's DSS who has food issues. My son and daughter were raised with the notion that you can't say you don't like it until you taste it first--and not a nibble, a whole bite. Rarely did they not like something. The funniest was my son, who at age 3 or 4, got his first Krispy Kreme--right off the conveyor belt. He accepted it, thanked the lady, turned to me and handed it to me and said, "I don't like these." I responded with the "you have to taste it first." We all know where this went! I think he ended up eating two more after that one!

Ok, no more donut talk.

I had to go to Costco yesterday and I went right after lunch, but it took all my resolve not to buy the box of fresh cookies.

So I got home and was putting away my tomatoes when I realized two had been crushed a bit on the trip home. So I decided to reward my dogs with a treat (they love tomatoes). I gave them each one, then chose a good one, washed it and put it on the cutting board and went back to getting dinner ready. When I returned to the tomato, it was gone. My Chico has NEVER stolen anything off the counter. Not even his own dog bones! Bad dog!

Well, my coffee is about done so it's time to head to work. Everyone have a wonderful day!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Allison, at least Chico steals healthy food. If he's going to steal food from the counter, better it be a tomato than the turkey you were planning on serving for Thanksgiving (been there, done that).

Michele, that adopt-a-book sounds like a great fundraiser. Hope it goes really well. What's the usual enrollment at your school?

Megan, great job with the gym! The house on the Keys during October sounds like such fun. You'll have to rent a cigarette boat. Okay, I'll confess I loved Miami Vice.

Amy, those early morning (and afternoon, evening, late at night) thunderstorms were common in Colorado and probably still are. I didn't know what a thunderstorm really was until I moved there. The ones we have here are tame by comparison.

Dagmar, what a disappointing shopping trip.

Shannon, you're going to have to explain the red and yellow card (sorry if you already did) system. What happens when DSS gets these cards?

My lunch date cancelled for the second time, although the first time was several months ago. I told her three strikes and you're out. I said just kidding, but a little part of me wasn't.

Had a butt-kicking workout with my trainer yesterday that left me feeling not too perky today. The muscle that runs from my shoulder blade down my back on the left side really hurts and not in that good way that comes from a great workout. Guess I'll hit the ibuprofen and see if that helps. I've got enough issues with muscles that I don't need another one making me miserable. Grumble, grumble, grumble.

Have a great Thursday, everyone! And I'll also try to.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #35  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Megan, have fun in the keys! I wish I could go with you, it sounds awesome!

Allison, that is so funny about the tomato. Carter is obsessed with green beans but he is a very good doggie. Yesterday we had a plate of green beans on the coffee table -- at dog height, he could easily have eaten them. Instead he stood there and stared at them, wagging his tail, grumbling, and whining. To be fair if I hadn't been keeping an eye on him he probably would have taken a couple.

Sheila, I hate when people cancel. I also hate making last-minute plans -- I'm waiting to hear back right now if some friends will be able to go out to dinner with us tomorrow night. The problem is that if they take too long to let me know the restaurants will be full up and we won't be able to get a reservation.

We have Dish Network and it's been pretty good. It does go out in big storms, but we never have any other problems with it.

DH went out for a run this morning and said his knee was feeling fine. Witness the fact that his terrible injury that was going to end his running career is now completely resolved after only three days. I'm trying to convince him to change his goal for the half marathon to a 9:00 pace instead of an 8:30 pace so he won't train too hard and get injured, and so that if he's a little slow on race day he'll still meet his goal. We'll see how that goes...
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #36  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Dagmar, sorry about the nasty shopping trip. It was smart of you to put on your shorts and check your reflection just so you didn’t obsess that your body changed in a heartbeat.

Amy, I’m a database manager and webmaster at our local school district. I loved your comment of “next career”. That is me in a nutshell. I’m a therapist by education, then was an HR manager, then this job. I like it best. I play all day except during district reporting season (May through July 15th – when I detest my job). The beach does sound fun but probably not relaxing with little kids.

Shannon, oh see my blue eyes turn green at the thought of a house in the Keys for a month. And October when the weather in S. FL is so wonderful.

Michele, good luck at your library fund raiser. What a cool idea.

Allison, too funny on the doughnut story. The closest Krispy Kreme was in Reno where DD lives and it closed. as I love the crème filled. I remember at my heavies (20+ years ago) going to a KK, ordering a dozen crème filled with choc. Icing and a cherry. I’d eat 6 of them as I drove home. There are/were very few foods I can’t stop myself on and KK crème filled doughnuts are one. The other is almonds. Even though almonds are good for you, not the entire bag. So I stay away. Far away.

Sheila, Thanksgiving turkey… DH put ours in the oven while it cooled before the fridge last year. Sasha, my food driven rescue sweetie, figured out how to open the oven and pulled it out and didn’t share with her 3 siblings. Speaking of her food obsession (I’m quite sure it is because of being raised in a puppy mill and then after her escape surviving for several months by hunting and gathering), yesterday she found road kill on our walk. She has a 6’ leash but it was dark. DH couldn’t get her to drop it and she swallowed it within seconds. Then he came home from work and she’d killed a squirrel in my pool area. Two wild raw meat meals in one day. A squirrel has to be stupid to come into a fence area with 3 dogs (Kody has a separate kennel). Stupid. And then to be caught. Really stupid. BTW, she got no kisses yesterday, just the top of her head. Eeks.

Jessica, I’m continuing to LOL at your hubby’s knee saga. I don’t wish pain on anyone but 3 days is miraculous.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 08-12-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Marie~I wouldn't worry too much about the raw meals. I have friends who feel everything raw and the bones actually help clean their teeth. I think dogs instinctively know if the meat is bad (as in the case of the road kill--it could have been old and rotting). Funny thing, last year I decided I'd "try" the raw with my Chico. I gave him the turkey neck (which some people order by the dozens for their dogs). He was really excited but didn't know what to do with it and almost swallowed it whole! I ended up pulling it out of his throat and throwing it away! He'll eat raw if it's cut up, though.

Speaking of jobs, this is by far the best job I've ever had! I love being my own boss. I started out at age 13 working as an optician at the optical shop where my dad was the optometrist. Then a short stint as a cashier in a sporting goods store. One season as a ski instructor (fun! but not much money) and then several years at a record store (worked there when the first CDs came out and ended up managing the CD inventory). After that I was a receptionist at the first MRI center in SLC. Upon moving to Palm Springs, I got a job as a medical biller at a hospital and worked my way up in 14 years to be supervisor. Now my job is SO much less stressful, although there are "different" stresses here. But to be free to come and go as I please is so nice. I am dreaming of retirement, though!

I'm in the first stages of planning an extended weekend in the Napa/Sonoma area. Anyone have any suggestions? I think we'll stay at the Carneros Inn and I'd like to eat at the Girl & the Fig and perhaps the Estate (I think that's the name). But other than that, I don't know what we should do.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #38  
Workin' It

Good afternoon everyone! Hectic week for me. Friend in from out of town, open house at school tonight, closing a location so have to talk to all the employees about transfers today and tomorrow, DH's car in the shop, last minute schedule changes with DSS for tonight's open house (to which you can't bring the student, what's up with that? Guarantees that one parent has to miss the open house if you don't have alternate child care and it is too late for daycare), etc... As a result I haven't exercised since Monday night. I'm taking it as a 'recovery period' rather than a failure. Now, my food has been terrible, which I am taking totally as a failure. Yesterday at least. The other days weren't too bad, just salty.

Amy - it is my DSS with the food problems. He freaks out when he has to try new things, can't handle the stress. Some food items make him nauseated to look at or think about. He is sensitive to smells. I think a lot of it is in his head. Last night after getting in trouble at school he ate half a hotdog and a lot ot macaroni and cheese for dinner. Willingly. I almost cried. It was the first macaroni and cheese we ever got him to eat more than one noodle of, and the last hotdog took much wailing and screaming and protesting before he would eat a bite of it after 45 minutes.

On DSS's behavior scale... every student starts the day with a green card in the discipline board on the wall. One warning for behavior is free, the next bad choice moves you to yellow, then to blue, then to red. Yellow loses five mins of recess or computer time, blue loses ten, red loses all and gets a call to the parent. Exceptional behavior gets you upped to purple and a treat from the treasure chest. Three greens in a week gets a treat from the chest on Friday. The students have to change their own cards when they are disciplined for their bad choices. Yesteday he pushed another student down and had a small fit, so got a parent call. So five days of school = purple, yellow, red, yellow, red. His repeat offenses are 'respect for authority', 'expresses thoughts in a positive manner', & 'follows directions'. There are 18 behaviors on the chart in his folder, on the calendar for each day they write the numbers he violates & the frequency. Yesterday was 12 (pushing, which is officially not showing respect to others), 17 x 2 (respect for authority I think - he didn't listen and talked back to two teachers), 15 (not following directions), 13 (not expressing thoughts appropriately - the temper tantrum). We are going to have him tonight again, I'll pick him up and do dinner while mom and dad go to the open house. Kind of last minute, he was scheduled for mom tonight and she was going to skip the open house on principle because of the 'no kids' restriction, but with the acting out this week it is important that they both go. I'm hoping he was good today, and somewhat dreading the pickup...

Megan - I would love a month in the Keys.... wow...

Allison - Your job sounds fantastic as you describe it. I know it has its wn challenges, but it must feel much freer than a job where you report to someone.

Sheila - be careful with the shoulder. I have some similar pain sometimes, I try to do some shoulder openers every day. Eagle arms from yoga, something I found called a broomstick stretch, and some scapula stretches.

Amy - enjoy your visit with your friend this weekend!

Michele - DSS's elementary school has lots of students, but I don't think that they make it to 1,000. Wowza! You definitely need longer hours for that! How is the situation at school this year? Still somewhat tenuous?

Marie - now I'm thinking about donuts...

Jessica - glad DH's knee is feeling better! LOL at his dramatic responses.

Dagmar - skinny jeans make me terribly insecure. I tried on a pair a few weeks ago and it was absolutely awful....

Thanks for the tv info guys! Sadly, no FIOS where we are.

I am about to figure out the rest of my day. Trying to order a cell phone for DH, have to pee and am at our location with outside bathrooms that I don't like to use (one of the reasons we were renovating in the first place! building is 50+ years old), hungry... Enough whining, time to start doing.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #39  

Allison-- LOVE The Girl and the Fig!!
We've stayed at the Fairmont Sonoma Inn and Spa. If you stay there, you get to use their AMAZING pools/jacuzzis and fitness center. I think you can buy a pass if you don't stay there but I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with The Estate. There is a place one of my co-workers went that is a Castle Winery and they took a horsedrawn carriage tour of the winery. I can find out the name if you're interested.

Shannon and Sheila-- quick stop at home between morning and afternoon registration. So far, so good! This is our 5th year since the school opened. We started around 500 and have grown each year. Our maximum is supposedly 900 but we are obviously surpassing that. Because of the budget crisis here, they have raised the student/teacher ratio putting more kids in each classroom, thus we can have higher enrollment. My principal said she is going to *try* to increase me to 40 hours. Each year my job is on the line so it looks like I'm okay for this year but I'm sure at the end of the year they'll talk about cutting my position again. Very frustrating and stressful.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #40  

S/C/G: GW: 125

LOL -- it's like I picked a name from column A and a life situation from column B -- and got everyone all mixed up. Newbie mistake I suppose!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
LOL -- it's like I picked a name from column A and a life situation from column B -- and got everyone all mixed up. Newbie mistake I suppose!
Putting your name at the bottom of the posts, even after we all know you, is always a good reminder. Then, if one of us is reading a bunch of posts at once we can easily respond to individuals as we can see immediately who wrote what. I tend to have to make notes sometimes, even with the names. There are days when everyone posts and there's so much to read!

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #42  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Putting your name at the bottom of the posts, even after we all know you, is always a good reminder. Then, if one of us is reading a bunch of posts at once we can easily respond to individuals as we can see immediately who wrote what. I tend to have to make notes sometimes, even with the names. There are days when everyone posts and there's so much to read!

Dagmar
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who makes notes to post from sometimes!

Amy - no worries on the mixups... I still do it, and I've been around a while now!

Michele - hope you get the increase in hours!

DSS was green at school today! Woo hoo! Mommy & Daddy were at the open house so he and I were solo so I slipped him a nugget and fry meal. I was just so excited that he stayed green all day... Didn't even get the one warning. Nothing but a smiley face on the calendar today!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #43  
No description available.

Shannon, my DS had a system like that last year (the cards) and one time after he got a red card I asked him, "Why did you get a red card?" and he replied, "It's so HARD to be good ALL day." Yup, dude, it is....I think it is easier for some kiddos to sit quietly when they are supposed to and keep their hands to themselves. Doesn't mean it's okay to have a lot of violations or whack each other, but it helped me see things a little bit from a 6 yo's point of view. Goodness knows it's hard for me to be "good" all day too! Yay for a green day!

Last edited by midwife; 08-12-2010 at 08:32 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #44  

S/C/G: GW: 125

I always mean to sign my name and always forget to! So I broke down and put it in my profile.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
I always mean to sign my name and always forget to! So I broke down and put it in my profile.
Thanks Amy! I have such a lousy memory that I tend to remember and forget things like names every five minutes!