Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Default Why should I weight every day

So Why should I weight my self every day on maintenance.

I know by reading post , that a lot of the maintenance WI dayli.

Will you recommended and why.

I use to WI every day some times ...

(sorry my question mark is not working)
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #2  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I weigh every day. It REALLY keeps me accountable. If I find myself avoiding the scale, then I know I've been off track and I need to face the music. To me, choices = consequences (or positive results, as the case may be). So, I remind myself that yes, if I eat fried turkey and pizza in one weekend, I WILL see a gain on the scale (as mine indicated this morning! )
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #3  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

Well, I've been at maintenance for a grand total of 3 weeks, so I am speaking from limited experience here, but weighing daily is something I've committed to doing, mostly because while researching successful maintenance, I discovered that most of those who DO maintain successfully weigh daily. I also know from sad experience, the two times I lost a substantial amount of weight previously, that the pounds started piling back on when I stopped weighing myself.

Mostly, though, I think I've just established daily weighing as a significant part of my whole routine. Yeah, the inexplicable bounces and routine fluctuations can drive me a little crazy, but overall, I would just rather be aware of my current weight.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I don't think you need to weigh every day, but you do need to weigh regularly--for example, once a week on a Monday, once every two weeks--the point is that you need to see where your weight is at over time and not ignore the scale.

I think daily weighing can be maddening because of the fluctuations up and down. Mostly these changes are due to water weight, and there's really no way to control them--but people think they should be able to anyway.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

How frequently you weigh is really up to you. There is no rule about how much is the "right" amount to do it.

For some people, weighing every day drives them nuts because of the fluctuations. Personally, I weigh every day because I like to see the fluctuations. If I weigh every day, my weights might go like 136, 137, 137, 138, 136, 138, 138. With those weights, I know I'm basically maintaining with some fluctuations. However, if I just weighed once a week, I might see 136 one week and 138 the next, and assume I must had gained two pounds in a week. I think that would drive me nuts more than watching the scale go up and down every day.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #6  
Workin' It

I weigh every day, for exactly the same reason as Jessica said above me. Keeps me in tune with the fluctuations, lets me run a pattern in my head. I am fascinated at the impact different foods have on my weight.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For maintenace or weight loss, you should weigh yourself as often as you find helpful, and there is no one answer that fits everyone.

There have been a couple research studies that suggest that daily weighing tends to be more successful than weekly weighing (contradicting "common wisdom" that weighing weekly is optimal).

Do what works best for you. I like weighing daily, because it makes weight loss and weight loss management "normal" just like washing my face in the morning, it's just part of the routine.

I'm not been as successful at losing weight, as I have been at maintaining the loss - but that's ok because maintenance is the more important skill. Even if you're losing only a pound a month (like I am, most months), you'll still eventually get to goal if you succeed at maintenance. However if you succeed at weight loss, but fail at maintenance you can be on the weight loss rollercoaster for years (like I was for nearly 4 decades of my life).

Ironically, it's maintenance that gets so little attention. Only two books on the subject come to mine, one being Refuse to Regain, and another that I can't remember the title of, that focused on the habits and lives of people who lose weight and had kept it off - most of which do weigh daily (but don't get all crazy if the scale is up a pound). They have a system in place to deal with weight fluctuations, going back to weight loss mode if the scale hits a certain number above their goal range.

That doesn't mean you have to weigh daily, it just means you have to have a system. Maybe you weight once, twice, or three times a week. Your decision, your plan. Do whatever works best for you.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

A maintenance question I can answer!

I will weigh daily for the rest of my life because I gained 100 pounds by not weighing. I can't imagine watching that number go up and up and up and not do something about it.

I attribute much of my success in losing to weighing daily so I think I would have to bet I'll have better success with maintenance through daily weighing.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #9  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Ironically, it's maintenance that gets so little attention. Only two books on the subject come to mine, one being Refuse to Regain, and another that I can't remember the title of, that focused on the habits and lives of people who lose weight and had kept it off - most of which do weigh daily (but don't get all crazy if the scale is up a pound). They have a system in place to deal with weight fluctuations, going back to weight loss mode if the scale hits a certain number above their goal range.
Was the other you were thinking of "Thin for Life" by Ann Fletcher?
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana in Canada View Post
Was the other you were thinking of "Thin for Life" by Ann Fletcher?
Yes! Thanks.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/170/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm with paperclippy. I can fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds, so weighing once a week it might take me a month to tell what was actually going on. I prefer trend data!
Mahalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I weigh daily and mark my weight on my calendar so I can see what is happening. A pattern of gaining or a pattern of maintaining. I avoided the scale like the plague when I was obese and look where that got me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Thanks every one for your answers , I have a mix of felling about weigh every day or once a week.

Thinking about on my journey when I was more success was when I was WI every day.

So this is week number 4 for my , and I have been WI weekly but my weight were 130.4 , 129.6 , 128.4 .... is it fine . But what would happened if was the other way , I will be getting crazy even if it was in my maintenance range.

So starting next week I going to try to weight my self every day to see what is my pattern.I know for mo own experience that i will be close to my high range Monday , and Friday close to my lowest.

I hope every one get my point .... remember I still leaning my English , so any question just ask .....

Thanks

Last edited by Tuca125; 07-28-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Thanks Shannon. Great directions. I was missing my ticker too and love the idea of counting up. 3FC is my kind of place.

Last edited by Karen925; 07-29-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote