Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

ennay Good job retracing your steps! Could have been much, much worse if the trash had been picked up.

DH "loses" things a lot. He keeps taking stuff from the assigned place and then just leaving it somewhere else. I keep trying to explain to him that I put stuff back in the same place over and over again so I can find it, not out of some compulsive need for order.

My stupid thing is being distracted when putting something away and just quickly tucking it into a drawer/box/cabinet with the idea that I'll find it a proper place later. Then I can't remember where I tucked it!

DH and I are currently looking for his knee brace. Logically it should be with our sports equipment in the closet designated for that. I'm curious to see where we actually find it.

Great Thursday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #47  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

One unexpected loss with the children leaving home is that there's no one to blame when something's missing. If this week's magazine is missing, either DW or I misplaced it. If the leftover bean salad is missing from the fridge and DW didn't eat it, I'm the prime suspect.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

...on the topic of losing things, i am an expert - living in a house that is under perpetual renovation - things are always astray.

Ennay - good thing you found the keys! I have been out to the alley rifling through my garbage - looking for lost items.

Went for a run last night - good thing i had a great one on Sunday, because last nights was awful. Not going to worry too much about it, just do a few 10k's between now and the 26th - and trust that all my training will pay off.

It is my Friday today thank goodness, i have been exhausted this week.

Have a great Thursday everyone.

S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #49  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Ennay, about the keys but at least they weren't gone forever!

Speaking of trash, we had a simultaneously funny and unfunny incident this morning. We were getting ready to leave for our respective workouts (bike for me, run for DH) and DH opens the door to the garage so we can get my bike out. He says, "There's something in here!" We hear scuffling noises -- turn on the light and the bag of straw we have sitting next to our compost bin (for adding between layers of kitchen scraps) is quivering. A few days ago we had seen a tiny mouse in our front yard -- turns out some mice had made a nest in our straw! But it was trash day, so DH went over, grabbed the whole bag of straw, and threw it in the trash can, then shut the lid and wheeled it to the curb. Problem solved.

We don't lose things too often. DH gets mad at me for leaving papers and clothes all over the place, and I get mad at him because he always picks up the dish towel from the rack on the oven, dries something off, and leaves it in some random spot in the kitchen in a pile. Not only does it not dry out, but I can't reach it when my hands are wet in the sink!

Still waiting on getting my desk dropped another inch. Sigh.

Shannon, they have some pretty good stuff for filling in windshield cracks nowadays. When mine got dinged by a chunk of ice a few months back, they came and fixed it while I was at work and you can barely see it now.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Seriously people-- four pages!!
Just waving "hi" for now. Hope to stop back later and read and respond.
Just wildly busy this week. Finished work on Tuesday, yesterday dd and I road tripped to Cal Poly for a campus visit, today we're going to another college.

We leave next Tuesday for Houston and we have more to do than humanly possible.

I'll check back in later :-)
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #51  
Chuggin' along...

Another fly-by here. My day started at 6 am, I'm wolfing down my lunch at my desk, and running back to the lab to filter water samples for several hours. I'm glad, though, b/c at least the lab has AC and I've been out in the sun so much I've started to feel ill from it.

I decided to try sardines b/c they're supposed to be so healthy for you, contain omega-3's, calcium, etc. I got the kind in olive oil and made a salad sort of like a tuna fish salad - mashed up the sardines, a little light mayo, cut up pickle and green bell pepper. It's just a too fishy for me. I'll eat it but probably not get them again. I have another tin of sardines in mustard to try. Does anyone here eat sardines regularly? How do you prepare them?

It is HOT and HUMID here. Ugh.

My BF doesn't misplace things. He can't remember where they are in the first place. I've lived in my house for 2 years and he can't remember where I keep the cutting boards, which have lived in the same place for that 2 years. He always accuses me of moving them... just not true.

Ok, back to work. Hope everyone's doing well!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

On the subject of losing things: when DH and I moved to our new house, I was organizing the kitchen. We'd lived in the old house for 11 years and the kitchen there was much smaller--compact if you will. My new kitchen is at least twice the size and it has a huge pantry and island with cabinets and drawers. On putting things away, I realized that a lot of the drawers were actually smaller than my old ones and I couldn't put all my "stuff" in one drawer, so I had to divide it up. No big deal, right? So then comes the first time I have to cook a meal (a week later as for the first week we had no gas for cooking). I can't remember where ANYTHING was! I spent an hour opening drawers and cupboards to find all my utensils, etc.

All that and I kept thinking about my old mantra to the kids:

Everything has a place and everything in it's place.

Meaning, if it has a place, put it back where it belongs and you'll never lose it. It was just that I had to make all new places AND REMEMBER where those places are!!!

Now that we've lived in the new house for 6 or 7 years I know where everything is. But some people still don't--I guess that's why I do all the cooking!

Oh! I'm losing!!!! Weight--not stuff! Finally!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #53  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Megan. I eat sardines regularly. I buy the ones in olive oil and have them either straight (bones n all) with salad and crispbread, or mashed with paprika or cayenne pepper slightly toasted on toast. Brands do vary, I find. Yes, the more expensive ones are better!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #54  
Lifelong Journey Member

I used to lose everything (except weight of course) until I adopted Dagmar's way of life. I put everything back where it belongs because then I can find it. But, I admit I am getting compulsive about neat and orderly.

Then there were the biking gloves. They never really had a place and that's my excuse. Heck, they still don't. I will resolve that. Anyway, acouple weeks ago I was searching everywhere for an hour for them (had DD on the phone so I know - she kept track). I never found them. I had said, "I'll go buy new ones and just wait and see, they'll show up." I bought new ones last Friday. As I was returning from walking all four huskies, my palms were irritated from the leather. I thought, "I should wear gloves. Oooo fingerless gloves." Then the lightbulb went on. That's where my bike gloves were - in the winter mitten box. I'd used them this spring for walking the dogs. My plan was to return the new ones but I used the old ones and they made my hand hold the handlebars at a weird angle and it hurt where I'd brokin my wrist last year. The new ones don't. So I have new biking gloves and old fingerless gloves for walking the huskies. I just thought it was funny that it was less than 24 hours after buying new to finding the old ones.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #55  
Workin' It

Good morning all. Windshield replacement all done. Safelite Auto Glass came right out to the restaurant and popped it in for me in 35 minutes. Much better now. The spiderweb or cracks had spread almost halfway across the windshield by this morning...

I lose stuff all the time. Can't blame it on DSS, as he isn't there all the time and pretty much focuses exclusively on his toys when he is there... Have to take the credit for it all on my own. I just forget where I put things. Do any of you remember the New Twilight Zone episode with the blue people that illustrated time like train cars? The main character woke up one day in his house, with his stuff, but with no other people. He then started seeing people in blue jumpsuits who put things in place but never talked. He finally got a person in an orange suit who was the supervisor - the premise was that time was like a train car and sometimes you woke up in the wrong car and it took a few seconds for time to catch up. His blue people built every second, or maybe every minute can't remember, so if something was in the wrong place, slightly off from where you thought you left it, you couldn't find it and then it was right there then it was a mistake that they made. They put it somewhere wrong and fixed it, or just left it maybe. My dad and I used to joke anytime we lost something that the blue people screwed up again. The blue people screw up a lot at my house.

Allison - glad you are losing weight!

Megan - hot and humid here, too. I just had to walk down for five minutes to pay the glass guy and am sticky.

Michele - I love college visitations! Enjoy!

Jessica - funny about the mice in the straw. They just needed somewhere cozy.

Susan - enjoy your weekend! Sorry about the bad run last night. My last one wasn't great either in this heat.

Megan - I don't like sardines personally, but XH used to bake them on pizza with a lot of red pepper and loved them.

Marie - funny about the biking gloves. I can't tell you how may times I've replaced a thing only to find the old thing the next day...

Dagmar - I'm bad about putting things in a drawer just to get them out of sight. Months later I find them again...

EZ - Angie is a treasure! I've tossed the small can in the big can before, too...

Ennay - glad you found your keys!

Iris - food log definitely illustrates the over snacking... A trend will surface if you do have a sensitivity. Me, I'm a lot more sensitive to salt and sugar than I used to be.

DSS had his first ride in daddy's convertible last night and he had a great time. Made dad drive him to school this morning with the top down so everyone at school could see, and he could tell the kids who weren't there yet that he rode in an 'incredible car'. Hehe.

have a good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Glad the keys were found! My DH lost his car keys last week and the week before. He got mad when I said, remember when we used to tell the kids to put your stuff in the same place each time. For some reason, he didn't like to hear that. I do put my keys in the same place when I get home. It's my reading glasses that I lose all the time.

Jessica, you're the second person I've heard this week with mice nesting in straw. My friend ended up doing what your DH did eventually, after trying other methods that I won't describe here.

Megan, I love sardines! I eat the ones in hot sauce straight from the can. I like fishy fish, though, but if you like spicy, you might try the hot sauce ones.

Shannon, that's a cute story about DSS. I don't think I've ever ridden in a convertible. Hhmm, I see an addition to my bucket list.

Hi to everyone! Like Michele, wow, four pages!

Thanks for the glass advice. I ended up going with Milgard. Their locks are recommended by the arthritis foundation and since this is our retirement place, I thought that might be helpful. Plus the installers have been in business for 30 years and are part of NARI. Hopefully we made the right decision.

Two more foster kittens at my house. These two are unrelated, but getting along okay. They aren't socialized, however, so it's kind of tough going. They let me handle them, but I can't let them roam around because they won't come back to me. So I play with them in the enclosed bathroom or keep them in the cage and talk to them and pet them. At least they've quit hiding in the farthest corner of the cage when they see me coming.

Almost the weekend--yeah! Any plans for Father's Day?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #57  
Working My Way Back Down

In our house the words "I'm offering a reward" is how we tell each other we've misplaced something and haven't found it. DH loses stuff a lot - often his keys! Though I'm ususally good about putting those in the same place all the time, I'm not without my reward-offering times! And of course, as soon as you replace something you find the old one - which is why I have two chargers for my camera!

Marie - I keep my biking gloves inside my helmet, since I always use them together.

I'm having a funky week. I feel out of sorts - a mild headache, sometimes queasy stomach, and just a feeling of lassitude. Can't get excited over much. I start things and can't stay interested. Been reading some "beach books" as that's all my attention can stand. I think the cold (40's in the am), cloudy, showery, windy weather is a contributing factor. I need to find the energy to at least get out of the house.....

Last edited by WaterRat; 06-17-2010 at 02:37 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #58  
Lifelong Journey Member

Shannon, I can picture DSS’s pride in the convertible. My DD bought a convertible Mini and DGS LOVES riding in it. I’m glad your new toy has a new windshield! I’ve never seen the blue people but I’m going to adopt your dad’s saying.

Sheila, thanks for what you do for the foster kitties!

Pat, I hope you feel better. Pregnancy as a diagnosis passed through my mind but I was thinking you might whack me for that one. I definitely can put the helmet and gloves together. The helmet rides in my Jeep with me so I’m never without it. Cool, you found the gloves a home.

My work week ends in 57 minutes. TGIF on Thursday. It’s been a bad week. Learned a co-worker is a liar and tried to swindle another co-worker. Very ugly story but I’d known both sides so I had to go to administration to let others handle it. Yesterday was the first day that my job has nearly driven me to tears. Liar is a close co-worker (as in office next to mine and we work together all the time) and the other is a friend. Actually liar was a friend but that friendship is quickly disintegrating. Regardless, I wasn’t driven to overeat although I did have 75 cals extra in dark chocolate yesterday but skipped my veges instead. Even trade as I believe dark chocolate is from the cocoa bean and a bean is a vegetable.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #59  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Pat, I hope you feel better. Pregnancy as a diagnosis passed through my mind but I was thinking you might whack me for that one.
Consider yourself whacked! Not only am I too old, but I, um, lack the necessary equipment......

Feeling better, at least my stomach is. Headache is still lingering.... But the sun came out. I need to go see if the grass is dry enough to mow. Otherwise we'll have a hay field!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #60  
Workin' It

Sheila - sounds like a good call on the Milgard. Glad the kitties are relaxing - I have so much respect for you guys who foster and help socialize animals like that.

Pat - I didn't think pregnant! though I did wonder if it was weather related, you guys had such a sudden change.

Marie - I see you logic on the cocoa bean thing. Kudos on staying on track. That situation sounds terrible, and too similar to what we had here. Hugs to you - enjoy your weekend.

DSS just had me install a game that came with a kid meal from Chick Fil-A. It took 25 mins and updated Acrobat Reader and Quick Time, for a limited use freebie game. Insane.

I got in a bad run today, but at least it was something. My legs were sore from yesterday's LB workout, it was 93 out there and I had not fed or hydrated well. 3.8 miles of mind numbing discomfort - at least I had a time limit to go pick up DSS or I would have continued to beat myself in the head until I dropped...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote