Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

Default The Last Ten Pounds!!

Will they EVER go away?!?

I started this thread in the 100 pound club forum but someone encouraged me to try a post here for more help....so here it goes!

I have been dancing around (and over and below) the 160 mark for months now. It is beginning to make me CRAZY!!

Last week, I was down to 156.2...yesterday up to 160.8. WTF?!??!?! I can't seem to break past this wall and I am beginning to feel like I should just give up. Maybe I am not meant to get to 150? Am I torturing myself for nothing? What if I get there...after who knows how long....and then can't maintain it?

I am watching my diet, running like crazy, just added in some hot yoga sessions....what else? I did some calorie tracking and found that I wasn't likely eating enough (some days it was 600 cals...others more like 1000 but rarely more than that) so I upped my calorie intake (now it is closer to 1200-1400). That should still be loss mode, right? How is it that I am eating those kind of calories, running 7-15 miles a week plus some "other stuff" (either yoga, hot yoga, strength training or Wii exercise games) and the scale is showing me a 4 pound gain over the last week and a half?!?

ARGH!! Some moral support would be appreciated...and any advice on how to figure out what your "real goal weight" should be.
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

A good forum for this is featherweights they deal with this exact issue. It is designed for those trying to lose those last stubborn pounds. You will get some great support there and encouragement. Living Maintenace is excellent as well . I post or lurk in both of those on a regular basis. I have been where you are and almost gave up but persisted and those last pounds eventually left. You can do it, too.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #3  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Momof5k!!! I am RIGHT there with you. Even though I have met my goal, I would still like to lose about 10 more lbs to be comfortable. But I have been dancing between 132-137 for about 4-6 weeks now. I do chalk some of it up t my HM training, so I'm hoping once it's over and I get back into a regular running schedule, things will start moving again. I have no tips unfortunately... just wanted to share in your frustration.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

bargoo: I'll try there too

fatpants: I was wondering if my stall had something to do with my 1/4 marathon training too. I was thinking about training for a 1/2 but....maybe I should concentrate on losing these last few pounds before I do? ARGH!!

Someone on the running thread posted something about never being able to get past 170 while running...is this that wall for me?

Thanks for the understanding and good luck on your 1/2 this weekend!!
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #5  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5k View Post
I have been dancing around (and over and below) the 160 mark for months now. It is beginning to make me CRAZY!!

Last week, I was down to 156.2...yesterday up to 160.8. WTF?!??!?! I can't seem to break past this wall and I am beginning to feel like I should just give up. Maybe I am not meant to get to 150? Am I torturing myself for nothing? What if I get there...after who knows how long....and then can't maintain it?

I am watching my diet, running like crazy, just added in some hot yoga sessions....what else? I did some calorie tracking and found that I wasn't likely eating enough (some days it was 600 cals...others more like 1000 but rarely more than that) so I upped my calorie intake (now it is closer to 1200-1400). That should still be loss mode, right? How is it that I am eating those kind of calories, running 7-15 miles a week plus some "other stuff" (either yoga, hot yoga, strength training or Wii exercise games) and the scale is showing me a 4 pound gain over the last week and a half?!?

ARGH!! Some moral support would be appreciated...and any advice on how to figure out what your "real goal weight" should be.
Your problem is a familiar one to me.
Despite all my extensive efforts, during the past 4+ years,
doing everything with food and exercise that I'm capable of doing,
I've gained and lost the same 10 lbs over and over.
For me, that's how "Maintenance" works.

You seem to be expending tremendous Effort,
and your body is responding by maintaining its weight within about a 5 lb range around 160 lbs.

If that is the diet and exercise Effort that is required to maintain your weight in that range,
then a lessoning of that diet and exercise Effort
will may well result in a weight gain above that range.

And, an increase of that diet and exercise Effort
will probably result in a weight-loss below that range, i.e. down to the 150 area,
however, can you sustain the increased level
of diet and exercise Effort that it will take to keep you there?

Many of us harbor secret fantasies that we can expend a bit less Effort
when our bodies reach a specific number.
This can sometimes be a set-up for disappointment and weight regain.

Your body might be right where it is supposed to be...or not..
My advice is to set yourself a goal/maintenance range,
and keep on working to stay inside that range.
You could make 160 the top and 150 the bottom,
or use whatever numbers that work for you.
(The graphic in my signature shows how I did this for myself)

Most of us seriously underestimate the amount of Effort
it takes us to lose and maintain our weight-loss.

There are 20 real life-examples of what specific thin women do
to be thin--how they personally eat and exercise--contained
in a paperback book "The Secrets of Skinny Chicks" by Karen Bridson.
You might find it a bit amazing...I did.
But I also found it validating my own struggle.
You might want to pick up a copy, It's worth reading.
Cover price is $15.95,
but Amazon sells new ones for $10.85, and used ones for far less.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #6  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5k View Post
Will they EVER go away?!?

I started this thread in the 100 pound club forum but someone encouraged me to try a post here for more help....so here it goes!

I would recommend weight-lifting, sub some HIIT for longer runs, and eat squeaky clean....no junk....In other words, do as I say, not as I do! It might be very slow losing at this point, but with the HIIT and strength training, your body may start to change shape even before the scale responds. You might get your body fat % checked and work on that changing rather than the scale changing. And feel free to join us on the Operation Take 5 (to 10) thread.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #7  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I would recommend weight-lifting, sub some HIIT for longer runs, and eat squeaky clean....no junk....In other words, do as I say, not as I do! It might be very slow losing at this point, but with the HIIT and strength training, your body may start to change shape even before the scale responds. You might get your body fat % checked and work on that changing rather than the scale changing. And feel free to join us on the Operation Take 5 (to 10) thread.
Oh yes, all of these suggestions! I came to the conclusion this morning that I'm certainly ok being this weight if I just LOOKED 10 lbs thinner..ya know? So once this darn race is done I'm bringing back the weight lifting and going on shorter, but higher intensity runs. HIIT always gets the scale moving for me.

momof5k, have you tried playing with your carb/protein/fat ratio? Sometimes I find that I have been consuming too many carbs so I try to keep them under 100g a day. Any more and I seem to stall out.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

I am right there with ya. My body seems to like 150. I can't seem to get lower. I work out 5x a week, lift at least 4x, run, hike, incline, exercise bike...AACK! I eat clean, my body just doesn't seem to want to let go of this weight.

Granted, 60 pounds ago, 150 seemed perfect. I'm not UNhappy with this weight, but I saw pictures of myself on Mother's Day hiking with my kids, and to be honest, I still look "thick". My arms are beefy, and my waist is still not there. I know I'm my own worst critic.

Hey, I was THRILLED to be able to hike, and keep up, with my teenagers, and even my 16 year old is impressed. I've been able to run a 5k, training for a 10K, and generally FEEL so much better.

But it's summer, and I want to rock those shorts and tank tops....
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote