Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/140/105-115

Height: 5'

Default Comment on leptin sticky

Hi- This is my first post, and I haven't actually formally introduced myself yet, but I wanted to comment on the Leptin sticky above. I wasn't sure if my comment would be noticed if I posted up there, since it is an old thread. Also, I'm not a maintainer yet, just for the record.

Anyway, onto the leptin stuff: I have officially been try to lose weight since March of this year, but prior to that time, was thinking about it a bit and doing research. I was reading up on the various weight loss books available on amazon and stumbled upon some books on Leptin. I never bought one, but spent a little time reading the authors' websites and looking around on the web. The information that I read resonated with me and with the experiences that I had had when I was able to lose weight in the past and in trying to control my blood sugar (I have always struggled with low blood sugar, and had had some high blood sugars since becoming obese). I want to share here what I learned and what I have experienced.

According to the authors/researchers, Leptin levels can be raised without injections and through diet, but to do so goes against traditional advice regarding balancing blood sugar and calories throughout the day. Most people who are trying to lose weight or have unstable blood sugars are told to eat many small meals throughout the day, but these leptin authors suggest eating only three meals a day (ideally with 5 or six hours between meals), no snacks and no eating after dinner (additionally, they recommend eating fewer calories and reducing carbs). It was difficult to follow this advice at first, but after a few days, my hunger decreased and my blood sugars stabalized. I stopped waking up hungry in the middle of the night. Amazing! And what's more, I lose when I eat this way, and very quickly.

I've also read (here and other places) that some folks benefit from a cheat day here and there, and I've found that when I have plateaued (which hasn't happened often), a day or two of higher calories gets me losing quickly again. It turns out that those higher calorie days raise leptin levels so.

So there it is. I'm no expert, and I do have less to lose than many here (my highest w was 165, but I am 5', so that put me in the obese category. I'd like to lose 50 to 60lbs, and am almost half way to my goal). Also, I've not been losing as long as many. I also realize that everyone's body is different. I just thought that sharing this might be helpful to some and contribute to the ongoing discussion.

Sarah

eda- I'm talking about loss here, but I imagine that one could raise post-weight-loss leptin levels in the same way.

Last edited by SarahBeth; 05-11-2010 at 10:51 AM.
SarahBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

SarahBeth - glad you found something that worked for you! It's amazing how different our bodies are...I moved at one point to a 3-meal-a-day structure, and was so much hungrier than I am eating more frequently. I did it for a week and had to give up, because I was just starving.

Yet another awesome reminder of how our bodies are different and want different things to be at peak performance, and that we all need to experiment to find out what works.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

SarahBeth, I think it makes a lot of sense. So many cultures are not built on snacking all the time. It's thought to be part of the success of the French diet. I find I actually like getting hungry before a meal. It feels natural and right to me. It think it does a body good to bottom out the insulin between meals.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Thanks for sharing your experience! I am currently successful with 4 mini-meals and if it ain't broke I don't fix it. But I am always looking for ways to shake things up a little whenever I hit a rough patch so maybe I'll try shuffling my calories around back to three squares if I stall too long.

I also am amazed at how different people are and how very different approaches work for different folks. It also seems to me that each individual changes over time and I find that being open to new approaches works well for me.

Thanks again and welcome to 3FC!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote