Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: Week Of May 3 - 9

'Tis the merry month of May!

We spent the weekend cleaning out the garage and it was pretty remarkable how many spare tires and car parts we could stuff into one garage. It's much better now!

I'm off to the gym for shoulders and cardio but will be back. How was your weekend?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

It was a glorious sunny weekend to enjoy good walking and eating outdoors.

Bad news is that the Boston area has a water crisis; a water main that is only seven years old burst and "untreated lake water" is being distributed. It's clean enough for laundry, showering, and flushing, but drinking and dish washing needs to be done with boiled water. It's a real sobering event.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning all!

It's raining here today. But that's good because I planted stuff in my garden yesterday and it will get a good deep watering.

Our weekend was totally routine . It will be until the end of August as DH now needs to study every weekend for the CMA (chartered management accountant) final exam. I will find new things to do by myself and catch up on my reading and a bunch of "girlie" movies.

I'm looking forward to my dad flying off to Estonia for the summer so I won't be obligated to spend every Saturday morning toting him around. He's always so negative and depressing that it puts me off for most of the morning after spending a couple of hours with him.

DH told me yesterday that he's "tired of being fat" and "tired of feeling stuffed all the time". That made me feel very hopeful and kept me OP yesterday.

I hope they fix the water main and that the water crisis ends soon Bill.

Off to stretch!

Great Monday all!

Dagmar in the
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #4  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! It's pouring rain here, too. Lots of thunder during the night.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #5  
Meg

It's raining here too but the silly birds are still singing.

Bill, that's awful! I hope it gets fixed soon. We take so much for granted and don't realize it until something like water or gas or electricity goes out. A few years ago, we didn't have gas -- meaning no hot water -- for ten days. It was like Little House On the Prairie. Cold showers!!

I'm back from the gym and just have to share because I'm so happy. Three years ago I had my rotator cuff repaired and spent six weeks in a sling with absolutely no movement, six more weeks in the sling with very limited movement, and then months of PT with 1 and 2 pound weights (yes, they were pink and blue. It was humbling ). Today, finally, I was able to lift the same weights for shoulders that I was doing before the tear. It's been a long road with many, many hours in the gym but I think I can say I'm finally recovered. And the best part is that I'm completely pain free and have a 100% range of motion.

So I'm totally giddy this morning.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #6  
Meg

I just got an email from Delta offering me 6000 bonus miles for signing up with Nutrisystem. How crazy is that? Why does weight loss have to be a big business? All it takes is a pencil, paper (or computer), and good pair of shoes to exercise in.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

happy monday all!

i had a crazy busy weekend (as per normal!)... i was WAY OP yesterday because I just didnt care... i am sick (sinus infection again) and tired (dont sleep well at my bf place yet) and generally just frustrated that i still care so much about loosing a few more pounds (would LOVE to see 160's...) I am recovering from Binge Eating so it was borderline binge last night...first time in 4 months... all things considered, i'll just hop back OP today and not worry about yesterday... maybe I need to slow down a bit? ha ha ha....

it is raining here today... but strangely nice in a way... i like rain...snow...sun... i like that is it different every day!

on a positive note from yesterday, i very nearly did my first handstand without help...had both legs up there for a split second... (it is a huge goal of mine!)

thanks for listening! enjoy your monday!
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Meg, my neighbor has had three garage sales the last three weekends because his garage is so full. He had a stroller out this weekend, and I asked him how old his youngest kid was. He said 10. Uh-huh. That's wonderful about your shoulder! How nice to be pain free.

Bill, that must be a horrible and eye-opening experience. Water is something most of us in the U.S. take for granted.

Dagmar, before a rain shower is the best time to plant stuff. Now you get to check every day to see if you see anything coming up. Fun!

Wardhog, hope the thunder didn't keep you awake.

Kim, excellent job on the handstand. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. You just may be right on with slowing down.

We were going to go to a park on Saturday to have a picnic with my son and his GF, but it was kind of cold and windy so we had an inside picnic and then went to the Parade of Homes. My son was the one who suggested that. Had a good time, then went out to dinner. It's tough for me going out on the fly because of the gluten-free, dairy-free and being a vegetarian. But the server at the restaurant was gluten-free so she suggested stuff, which was helpful.

We're thinking of buying a condo on the other side of town in an area with streams and a greenbelt. It's a good deal, the area where we want to live eventually, and my son's girlfriend can rent it until my DH retires, which solves her housing problems. If I can get it for what I want to pay, I think we'll go for it. Cross your fingers!

Have a good Monday!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had every intention on cleaning my hall closet on Saturday and the day came and went without me even opening the doors! I guess it'll be on the agenda for next weekend.

I need to call to schedule carpet cleaning. Soon.

The weather here has been unseasonably cool but we're loving it! Highs around 80. Who can complain about that? We golfed early on Sunday and it was a little too cool when we started out. None of us golfed as good as we could, but it was a nice morning.

We went to see How to Train Your Dragon at the iMax. Good movie! Then DH and I watched Couples Retreat. That was funny. My DD convinced us to sign up with Netflix as it is a lot less expensive in the long run than watching movies on our cable company's OnDemand. I feel a little guilty, though, when I get a movie and it sits for 3 weeks before we watch and return it! I know they don't care, but I remember the old days of Blockbuster where you had 2 days to watch it and return it. Seems like we were constantly running back and forth. This is much nicer!

My weekend went well without undoing any of the hurdles I've set up for myself. Tonight may be a bit of a challenge. DH is golfing in an Autism golf tournament and there's a banquet afterwards. I'm joining him for that...We'll see.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good Monday morning all!

Meg-- could I borrow some of the old tires you got rid of? Dh had to replace all four of his tires on his truck this weekend. He is going to drive up to pick up dd from college and wanted to make sure his truck was ready. We have so few miles on it (37,000 I think) but it is almost 5 years old so the tires were worn. So excited for your recovery! You wouldn't have gotten there without all of your hard work. 99% of people never would recover full range and strength I bet.

Bill-- hope your water crisis is solved soon. I never really appreciated a clean and ample water supply until I lived in S. Africa. Our housekeeper lived in a township like most Africans. She was lucky--- they had one well that they could all walk to for water and collect in buckets. Can you imagine? Lucky that you can get a bucket of water to then have to heat up to cook, drink, or bathe in? If you weren't lucky, you would have to walk miles to collect that same bucket of water. My housekeeper lived with us along with her granddaughter and I know how much she appreciated her own room with a tub, sink, and electricity!

Dagmar-- we also (or my dh did) planted this weekend. Hopefully we'll soon have tomatoes of many varities, eggplants (never grown these before), and many herbs. When does your dad leave for Estonia?

Kim-- wow! A handstand! Maybe I should try one again. I'm afraid I would pull something like when I do a cartwheel now! So far as your weekend-- you know that today is a new day-- move on!

Hi Ward!

Good luck Sheila on the condo! Sounds like a beautiful area. I hope it works out for you.

Don't people know that I'm trying to catch up with my 3FC friends here? They keep interrupting my computer time at work!

My weekend-- busy as usual! I feel that is what I always say but it is true! Got a ton accomplished but still a ton I didn't get to. Saturday I worked and then managed to cross everything off of my to-do list! I can't even remember all that I did-- the post office, target, marshalls, big walk with dh to the library..... and I worked on the final for the class I was taking. Was is past tense because I finished and submitted the final on Sunday! Crossing my fingers that I got an A on the final to keep an A in the class. Taking one more class this summer and my FINAL class in the fall. The end is in sight!

Sunday I worked again. I'm finally off this Saturday for my first day off in weeks. Cannot wait. Then I decided that because it was so beautiful that I would run/jog to all of my errands. I wasn't sure how far everything was and unfortunately I had to lug a fairly heavy bag with my keys, wallet, water bottle, phone, etc. I ran to get my nails done and then ran to Marshalls to return stuff that didn't work from Saturday and then ran home. All together I probably ran for an hour. Very tired and sore from it as I haven't done much running lately but I am proud that I didn't have to call dh to rescue me like he offered.

I am excited about tonight. We are having the district wide awards ceremony for the Read-a-thon that my school won. There is supposed to be "press" there. I bought a new dress and high heels on Saturday (I never wear heels so I hope I can walk). I can't wait to collect our prizes!!

My weight is stubbornly staying up still. I'm trying not to focus on it but it is hard. It took a dip on Saturday and then went back up yesterday and more today. I'm being so good too. I think I'm really going to kick up the exercise when dh goes out of town to get dd because I won't feel guilty if I'm gone at the gym for a long time. I've never done 2 back to back classes but I know a lot of folks do so I'm thinking I might. Unfortunately I probably won't get to the gym tonight due to the awards ceremony and I never work out on Tuesdays (work my second job) so I'm working at a disadvantage already.

Back to work for me!!
Chat later....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Allison-- I'll have to see Couples Retreat and How to Train your Dragon or put them in my netflix queue. I love netflix! I sometimes keep movies for months but when I want to see a movie, I have one here! My dd's also watch a lot of them online through netflix so at least we're doing that....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Meg, great job with your shoulder!

Bill, I heard about the water main (I have several friends in Boston). That must really suck.

Happy, I hope you feel better soon!

Allison, LOL, it has been unseasonably WARM here with high's near 80!

Ward, Dagmar, and Sheila!

First, in non-dogsitter news, I swam a mile yesterday! It took me a little less than an hour. I've never swam that far before.

Now, about the dog sitters. I think we are going to go with dog sitter #1 (the one our vet recommended). She was very professional, was nice to Carter (petted and scratched him when he came up to her, but didn't go chasing him around or anything) but had a very dog whisperer-esque attitude (calm and assertive), and showed up on time with a folder to give us containing her contracts, proof of insurance, card, etc. She answered all our questions and asked some about Carter. She didn't ask too much about him because this was an initial consultation, and she said that if we decide to hire her she will want to have another meeting where we go over Carter's habits and behavior in detail (she had some paperwork in the folder that showed all the types of things she asks about). The only things we were a little concerned about was that she said that when she is on a dog sit, her boyfriend watches her dog, and we were thinking, what if you break up with your boyfriend before our dog sit? Also, she mentioned that she has a prong collar for her dog, which I thought was a little weird. That and all the different clauses in the contract kind of freaked me out -- do I really want to think about what should be done if Carter dies while I'm gone? Or what should be done if *I* die while I'm gone? But on the other hand it makes sense to put that kind of thing in a contract, because you never know.

Dog sitter #2 (well, sitters) were nice enough as well and would probably also be okay. There were two women who came -- one is the owner of the company, the other is an employee/contractor who would be actually sitting the dog. They were both very friendly and affectionate to Carter. However, unlike sitter #1, they came in basically expecting us to sign a contract on the spot (although they were unfazed when I said we needed a few days to decide), and asked a million questions about Carter before I even got a chance to say, hey, I have questions for you too. She said she would mail me their proof of insurance. Their contract was not nearly as extensive or formal-looking as with sitter #1. All of that is pretty much okay though. DH was more concerned with the fact that the girl who would be sitting with Carter looked extremely young -- she mentioned she was married and had a child from a previous relationship, but I swear she looked like she was about 18 years old. She was also extremely chatty and kind of hyperactive seeming, and while she was nice enough DH thought (not sure if he thought this seriously or was joking, hard to tell with DH) it wasn't clear whether she is just that type of person or she might be on drugs. Also while it is kind of judgemental, DH thought that her being so young and already with a kid, ex-husband, and current husband, it might indicate that she had lacked judgement in the past.

Really I think either of them would be fine. The second sitters seemed a little more dog-enthusiastic, but I'm not sure that baby-talking to Carter means they'd necessarily do a better job. Carter seemed to like them all equally (he came up to get petted a few times, then went to sleep, as usual). DH was more comfortable with the first sitter because she was older and seemed less hyperactive. We still need to call her references, but if everything checks out there I think we will go with her. Being recommended by our vet is also a point in her favor.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #13  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Michele - I keep getting interrupted too, then you posted while I was typing up mine! Great job on the running!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

thanks ladies - i am going for sinus surgery sometime in the fall so hopefully after that i will feel better all the time! it is hard to w/o every day when it is hard to breath ! ha ha ha

wow, you guys have a lot on the go!!! it is great to know i am not the only crazy-busy person out there! sometimes i wonder if i am insane or if others run around like this too!

fri night i saw Blind Witness live after dinner with my friend and personal trainer (brenda) and then sat i had a training session and a massage to break up some severely tight muscles (OUCH!) then drove 1.5hrs to see my bf at his place. we are both sick so sat around and watched tv and went for a ride on his new 4 wheeler...and early to bed...

do you know how many calories you have to reduce your food to loose a pound in say a week? (i am sure i could look it up... i also figure you guys probably know off the top of your heads!)

do any of you do 'intuitive eating' 100% ? what parts work for you? (i am relatively new to maintenance... been about a year at this weight but only mentally caught up now! ha!)
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #15  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Bill, yuck on the water problem. I hope it resolved quickly. Boiling the amount of water I drink would significantly raise my electric bill.

Meg, my garage looks like a dump satellite. Wanna come over??? Wow on the recovery time for the rotator cuff. I’m thrilled for you that you’re pain free and 100% recovered.

Dagmar, is CMA the equivalent of CPA in the US? My brother is a CPA and those tests were nasty. I hope your DH’s sick of the fat cells results in a loss of them. My DH is sick of them too but isn’t too motivated to get rid of them. Since he’s responsible for his own fat cells, I say nothing. But when he slathers on the butter I want to scream. I guess I do silently…

Happy, I hope you feel better soon. I’m thrilled I can do a handstand in my pool. On land, no way. Congrats on seeing your goal. Why does your sinus surgery have to wait until fall? It would be nice if you could feel better sooner. 3500 cals is the pound amount although I’m quite convince in my case I need 5000 cal deficit to lose a pound and 500 overage to gain one.

Sheila, my fingers are crossed. I hope the bad economy helps you get your price.

Allison, keep on track tonight at the banquet. You can do it and imagine your giddiness when you tell us tomorrow you were on track.

Michele, congrats on finishing and submitting your final. You are so close! Enjoy your award ceremony and remind the powers that be that media specialist are important.

Jessica, sounds like you have a good plan with the sitter. Our sitter required us to have a letter in our dogs’ file at the vet in case of emergency. That letter was hard to write but I asked that it stay there permanently since I trust her implicitly. Like your #1 sitter, mine is quiet with the dogs but they respect her completely. We now chat as we walk/train the dogs but it’s not a real in depth friendship – which is the way it should be. And way to go on the swimming 1 mile. I swim 1 mile once a summer just for the heck of it. You have yours done already.

I’m so not happy it is Monday. I think mostly because I blew off nearly all of Sunday morning doing nothing. I watched Amazing Wedding Cakes tv show that I record. I love the artwork involved in wedding cakes. Yes, I’d like to eat them but the show isn’t causing major diet distress (when it does, it’s taken off the DVR prioritizer). But 5 shows??? What a waste and now it’s another work week. On a bright note, it was sunny and gorgeous out yesterday. We “opened” the pool. The quotes are because there are snowflakes in our forecast and the pool water is 55 degrees. But we started heating it (we use solar so it’s free not wasteful when there is so little hope of swimming anytime soon). The winter cover is off and it looks pretty to see blue water. Yesterday I swayed on my swing, gazing at the water and listened to the hummingbirds buzz over my head. At least yesterday afternoon wasn’t a waste like the morning was.

Time to work. The end of the school year means hectic in my little world. The number of state reports keeps me with job security. Another waste. I should be expendable for another teacher in our classrooms but they can’t let me go because without me there would be funding problems. The number of reports is ridiculous. Today starts the beginning of report season in my world.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote