3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Chat: Week Of April 19 - 25

Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #61
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Height: 5'4"

Megan, sorry about your bad day. Job-wise, I don't know much about what you do (except it is marine biology-related), but is there any chance you could start your own company? Then you could stay in the area but do something different?

Hey Dagmar, want an 11-night dogsitting vacation in Indianapolis? Megan, after you posted that I actually did look up how much plane tickets would cost. Turns out a roundtrip flight would cost about the same as hiring a dogsitter locally, but I trust Dagmar!

Also Megan may be on to something with the bike club idea. You said you like biking, and I know that at least around here pretty much every bike shop also does organized group rides at least once a week. It might be a good way to meet people while doing something you love!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #62

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Jessica~at least you have plenty of time to find a dogsitter or kennel. I wouldn't be afraid to hire a sitter--if they're licensed, they're usually bonded, too, so they would be hurting themselves professionally if they stole from you (and frankly, who would do that anyway?). We have workers in our house all the time and I never worry about anything being taken. Except, however, two pair of my underwear are missing (but I think they got mixed up in DD's laundry the last time she visited!). Anyway, some services will visit the dog twice a day for feeding and will spend time with the dog (playing--walking--some even pick up poop in your yard). You don't necessarily need one to spend the night with Carter.

Megan~so sorry you're having a rough time at work.

I spent a lot of time yesterday getting used to my new MacBook. The only thing that will take some time is the closing of programs--I'm so used to the button to be on the right not the left. Wondering, for all you Mac users, what software do you use for your personal finance? I downloaded trial versions of iBank and Fortora. I've always used Quicken on my PCs, but I've heard some poor reviews on the Mac version.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #63
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 7"

Michele, why is it that weight is so fast to return??? The experts say the 3500 cals/pound but I swear I can gain 2 pounds by eating 2000 cals in just one day. Maybe it’s water weight but even that is slow to take back off.

Pat, have a great trip! And wonderful words “everyone feels better in clothes that fit right, no matter the size”. So very true.

Allison, have fun with the new computer. So you’re in the personal finance quandary I was in last year. I had been a Quicken PC user since 1992, and last year made the full switch to Mac when I sold DH’s PC. I tried iBank (because they have or will have) and iPhone interface. I really, truly hated the Mac version. Of course I didn’t give it much of a chance. If the iphone app has come out I might revisit iBank since I stupidly bought it. I then bought Quicken for Mac. It is very basic – the register for all the accounts. No bells and whistles. Since I didn’t use the PC’s version’s bells and whistles, it works. I truly miss the Quicken mobile phone program that sync’d with the PC version. The newest version of Quicken for Mac sounds atrocious so the one I have (2007???) keeps track of my finances ok. Converting the data from PC to Mac was horrible and would have been more efficient if I’d hand entered everything year to date (I think I did it last april). Why Intuit didn’t make the files exchangeable is beyond dingy but they did. So know that will be problematic if you use Quicken.

Jessica, I’m sorry about the vacation/doggie plan mess up. I agree with you that it’s hard to tell whether it’s deliberate or careless. Regardless it was mean. Even nicer is your DH supporting you trying to find care for the dogs. My DH would be out in the dog house if he took the “well, what were you planning to do with YOUR dog while you were on vacation?” approach. I hope you find a good solution. BTW, when I was in your position with my dogs last summer, I called my vet for a dog sitter. Best thing I ever did. My animal behaviorist was the result and we’ve been doing weekly training since and she’s watched my dogs since as well. Although I do like the Dagmar solution.

Megan, taking classes is a good idea. If nothing else it will divert your brain cells away from the irritating job. And our winter weather is taking a hiatus for about the next 5 days. Sun and 60’s. Ooo-la-la. I can see Mt Shasta clearly from my office window for the first time in at least a week. And I saw Mt McLaughlin on my way to work. I love snow capped mountains. I just don’t want the snow on the ground where I live.

Today was my non-elliptical day so I warmed up on my treadmill (recently retrieved from DS because I missed it) and did my strength training. Perhaps this strength training is becoming a habit no matter how much I dislike it. I started it 7 weeks ago and have done it 3X week since. That’s a first for me.
Marie
Old 04-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #64

S/C/G: 178/119/125

Height: 5'5"

Megan-- sorry you are frustrated with your job. Do you think it is temporary frustration or do you really want to switch jobs?

Jessica-- sorry about the dog/MIL issue. I had never thought of flying someone to stay at my house but it would be cheaper than when I go out of town! I pay $70 a night to board my two dogs and then I usually have someone else (co-worker) come by and feed the cats (and pay them too). I joke that the dogs' vacation costs more than ours but it is pretty much true. We've had house/dog sitters before and I really like that route but for some reason dh prefers to board the dogs. The place we board them is great-- the dogs play outside together during the day and are kenneled at night. They separate them by big dog, little dogs, shy dog, etc. My dogs always come home exhausted!!

Allison-- I have a mac but I don't do anything financial on it. I just pay my bills online.

Back to work for me....

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
183/365 workouts
155 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #65
slow and steady

Michele, it looks like the going rate for overnight sitting is $50/night for one dog around here. Kennels are a little cheaper (though that route won't get our plants watered), but the ones that I think I would be most comfortable with where all the dogs have playtime all day and are only kenneled at night might not accept Carter. He has had some fear aggression issues with other dogs since the time he got attacked at the park. We got a reference to a behaviorist from the vet to try to work it out but haven't called yet.

I just want my fur-baby to be happy and safe! DH was like, do we need an overnight sitter? Why not just have them stop by a couple times a day? And I was like, but my poor Carter will be lonely!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #66

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Jessica I'm already booked for a sit at the end of August - sorry as I would have loved to have met Carter .

Seriously though, please tell your DH that leaving the dog alone all night is terrifying for most dogs. I had to do that for only a long weekend with a dog - 3 visits/walks per day and then leave him alone all night - and he was so anxious and rattled after only one night alone that I stayed at their house the next night.

Also tell DH that any serious professional pet sitter will be insured and will have references. And we have no desire to steal your stuff or go through your personal items or drink all your booze or invite 50 friend over to dance until dawn etc. etc. Most of us work through referrals so we treat your house and pet with the greatest care and respect.

There are kennels and home boarders who are excellent but most slightly fearful dogs (what Carter sounds like to me) do best in their own home.

And asking relatives rarely works out in my experience. People who you are related to will not take your request as seriously as those of us you pay. I have had several frantic requests from strangers who are leaving on vacation the next day and whose relatives cancelled at the last minute. At least your MIL did give you enough notice to make other arrangements.

I'm sure you will work out a great situation for Carter while you are gone.

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #67
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I always have used professional pet sitters for my cats (only 1 now, but more in the past). One of the many reasons I use professionals is that they schedule you and fulfill their obligation. They aren't "doing you a favor." None of my relatives, whom I might consider, live close, and I don't trust my neighbors to do what needs to be done for more than a day or two. Yes, it costs money to get good service--but we just consider it part of our costs for travel.

Jay
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #68
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Gary, I'm sure all the alcohol from the beer sterilized any dirt on the grass. Which just provided some extra fiber for your diet. No worries. ...
Hey KIDDO I was just 21 when that happened...weighing in at 155 WITH clothes and shoes on!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #69
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Megan-- sorry you are frustrated with your job. Do you think it is temporary frustration or do you really want to switch jobs?
I had to wait until I got to my home computer answer this one. I like my job well enough, but not my boss. Remember a while back I said my boss left and they were promoting someone from within I wasn't thrilled about? Yeah... unfortunately for me I don't see her going anywhere.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #70
slow and steady

Thanks for all the doggie advice guys!

Dagmar, thanks for the response. I forwarded what you said along to DH, hopefully it will make him feel better about hiring someone. I don't know if you guys have heard of Angie's List or have it in your area -- it's basically a rating/review thing for service-oriented businesses. In any case I have been looking through the ratings of dog sitters on there and it looks like we should have some good options. Their system tells you if the person is
licensed/insured/bonded, member of professional organizations, whether they have subs or do everything themselves, etc. Then members who have used their services give reviews, and I can filter out only the people who have gotten nothing but positive reviews. I asked around a little bit but I don't know too many people in the area and none of them had used a professional pet sitter so I think this is probably the best way to find one. I will call my vet's office and ask them for a recommendation too. Oh, I know who else I can call -- I bet the humane society will have recommendations, and probably the rescue we got Carter from.

Megan, sorry about the boss issues. If there are particular things you are unhappy with, could you bring them up with your boss's boss?

This has been a pretty stressful week, I'm glad it's almost over! DH has a lot of stress at work right now which is making him grumpier than usual, and that, combined with the dog business, plus PMS, is just a big mess for the two of us. Next week will be better! At least even when we're upset we come home to a happy, tail-wagging dog who just wants to cuddle us.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #71

S/C/G: 178/119/125

Height: 5'5"

Jessica-- sounds like you are doing your homework for Carter. I agree that a house/pet sitter sounds like your best option. Maybe I'll check into Angie's List for myself to find a pet sitter and try it too.

For those of you who chart your weight daily (Shannon-- who else?), what tracking system do you use? Did you make your own or is there something out there on the internet? I've been writing my weight in my journal for a few weeks now and I'd like to see the patterns. Definite big fluctuations and I'd like to be able to track them.

Megan-- I don't know how often your boss changes? My dh goes through bosses every couple of years. Some he loves, some he hates.... when he has a terrible one I just have to be his cheerleader and hope they don't last long. Hopefully yours won't be there forever.

TGIF!!

2014 workout goals:
365 total workouts including a minimum of 250 bikram yoga classes

So far:
183/365 workouts
155 bikram yogas
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #72

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

michele~I weigh daily and write it down on the 3FC weight tracker. Then (if and when I have time) I'll add it to my Excel spreadsheet (which I haven't done for a LONG time). I added some little calculations that showed how much I gained/lost in a week/month.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #73
slow and steady

Michele, I weigh daily and keep it recorded in a Google Docs spreadsheet, along with my exercise. If I am in losing mode I also record my calories for the day in the same spreadsheet.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #74
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Michele - I have a spreadsheet I log on, with the dates and weights down the left side, graph for each month on the right side. Want me to send it to you?

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #75
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Back for more...

I collapsed on the bed after my healthcare reform seminar last night, not a lick of exercise and terrible food on top of it. I had a fantastic bagel in the morning (love them, don't let myself have real bagels often), then a lackluster lunch, then came home and snacked. Good dinner, no night time snack, but still came in higher than I wanted. I'm trying not to beat myself up over the exercise - looked back and I have only had two days with no exercise all month, one of which I cleaned for six hours on. Last week on my off day I still did 45 mins of yoga. So I figure I needed a full day off. Moving on, no regrets. I swear.

Megan - sorry you are having a tough time at work. I remember you were worried about the new boss. Is there any way to minimize your dealings with her, report to someone else maybe?

Allison - my boss converted to a Mac Book recently and loves it.

Jessica - I know people who have used professional pet sitters. Seems like a great idea to me. Hope you have a good weekend after your bad week!

to all!

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.