3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Maintainers Chat: Week Of April 19 - 25

Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #31

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
The important thing about Leonard Cohen's songs is that you hear someone else singing them.

It's all about the lyrics, I think. He doesn't hold back in the lyrics.

Songs that are worth hearing:
Suzanne
Bird on a Wire
Sisters of Mercy

Jay
Oh, Yes, Suzanne:
And you want to travel with her
And you want to travel blind
And you know that she will trust you
For you've touched her perfect body with your mind.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 7 years and 1 month
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #32
Meg

S/C/G: 257/135/maintaining

Height: 5' 4"

at the Leonard Cohen discussion. To me, his voice is part of the package, as Tomato said. I love listening to him, just not on the elliptical. Some things in life -- like cardio and bathroom cleaning -- need ear bleeding rock music. Leonard Cohen goes with candlelight and a glass of wine.

Yesterday was a cook-a-thon so the freezer is stocked. Today I'm going to marinate a couple of pounds of shrimp and grill them for dinner.
Size 22/size 4
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #33

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My last comment on Leonard - I promise! If I listened to him with candlelight and wine I'd be asleep in 5 minutes.

Right now I'm more in a mood that could stretch into several days of sulking if I listened to Leonard. DH has jsut announced that his routine until the end of August has to be work/study/sleep/repeat. I understand this on an intellectual level but emotionally I'm going "you're abandoning me".

And then there's another full year of work full time/study/sleep/repeat after he writes his case exam in August. I'm going to be a "CMA widow" - sob, sob, sob!

It's going to be a time for me to broaden my horizons, live as a single person (in some ways), etc. but I want to dive into a bag of chips right now. So much easier than facing being alone socially for a year and a half.

At least I have developed the skills to see what I'm doing and address it. Now dealing with it is another story. I limited myself to one small bowl of chips last night (brought home by the DH) - I was in shock! That's my excuse .

Have a great Tuesday all!

Dagmar (anyone know any cute men? )

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #34
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Am I the only one who has never heard of Leonard Cohen?

Shannon, that looks like an awesome dress!

My high school reunion (10 year) is this summer too but I don't think I'm going to go. They scheduled it pretty close to my sister's wedding, and I just can't justify spending an extra $400 on plane tickets to fly to LA twice in two months so I can go to the reunion AND the wedding. Obviously the wedding is higher priority (and I already have tickets). I wish they had scheduled it for Christmas, then I would already be in LA!

Dagmar, sorry to hear that DH is bailing on fitness.

Megan, great job on the competition! Even if you had an off day, I still think you did great. 105# is awesome, and your PR is even more awesome! Also congrats on Oklahoma!

You guys will love this. Last night I had a dream that a chocolate cake was chasing me (it was riding a tricycle ) and I was running away because I knew that if it caught me I would eat it.

Last edited by paperclippy : 04-20-2010 at 10:12 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #35
Meg

S/C/G: 257/135/maintaining

Height: 5' 4"

That's the funniest dream I've heard in a long time!!

Knowing about Leonard Cohen is an age thing. He was a big part of the college scene when I was there in the 70s. A LONG time ago!
Size 22/size 4
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #36
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 7"

Jessica, Carter is beautiful. I love the curl of his tail.

Shannon, it’s awesome to plan for a big meal and not feel guilty afterwards. I’m just getting to that point. The dress is awesome. Buy it and flaunt yourself. It’s gorgeous! I bet it would look great in any color that you normally look good in. Of course you already have the silver shoes. Knock ‘em dead.

Megan, I think right after the competition is too soon to make a decision about next year. There are parts that you really enjoy (training) and the competition is just one day during the year.

Sheila, four weeks of a bathroom remodel with no shower in house sounds like torture. I’m glad you got away for a nice Seattle weekend.

Allison, you are braver than me – I have no idea who L Cohen is but after the posts, I think I don’t want to find out. Great job on the birdie!

Dagmar, LOL at the drugs-singing voice comparison! And it sounds like you should never have trouble getting to sleep. Just turn the LC on low and grab a glass of wine. BTW, I am a swing-shift widow. Sort of the same boat as you. DH was transferred to swings a few weeks back and I barely see him. Weekends only but we now sleep different hours so the time is limited then too. It does get easier and you have an end in sight even if it is a year and a half off.

I’m concluding at the singing preferences that it’s all a matter of taste. Unlike Pat, I love Rod Stewarts gravelly voice.

Jessica, you’re not the only one. Yesterday’s posts were the first I’d heard of him. I love the dream. I can picture the cake on the trike!

So I woke up today and the melancholy seems to be gone. The munchies aren’t dogging my every breathing moment and I wanted to push myself on the elliptical. My hope is that the blues are gone, gone, gone. I like this feeling way better.
Marie
Old 04-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #37

S/C/G: 170/120/125

Flying by! There is a symposium on Friday for which I'm a co-chair, so I'm a bit at the moment!

Hope you are all doing well.

Jessica, love the pics of Carter! I'm ready for a dog again! =)
Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #38

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

may i join the LC party a bit late? in terms of 'meaningful' music, I like Chris de Burgh - I love how he tells a story with each song...The Tower is one of my favs... (Keep in mind I am a HUGE KISS fan too... and Buckcherry and Hedley and Mozart and and and...)

I just KILLED my workout... feeling soooo friggin strong right now! My trainer gave me a new routine last night and I just finished a circuit class... I am feeling "on top of the world" right now...

I have a question - Have you ladies hit a weight that you felt like you could maintain and then decided to try to loose a bit more? How did you kick start that weight loss ? I dont really want to up my exercise as I just physically dont have time to do more than 1 hr a day... and I am recovering from Binge Eating so I dont want to cut too many calories? Any other suggestions? Maybe trying different proportions of food at different times? (ya, I know, I am difficult!)

Enjoy your Tues!
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #39
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Hrmph. I'm so far behind today I have to review the entire thread to see all replies! Busy thread today!

Good food and strength workout day yesterday. Working on water today to flush out the salt from the restaurant meal Sunday. 9 days and counting of waking up early for yoga every morning. Running at the park after work if the rain holds off. Feeling pretty good today.

I have now shopped more in the last two weeks than I did all last year. And, I've found in trying things on that a lot of the S tops are too big and I need XS. That is kind of freaking me out.

Megan - sorry that your competition didn't go the way that you wanted, though your results sound great to me! I understand the 'should I or shouldn't I' feeling. You do have some time to decide, yes. I can see why training with a partner would be motivating, and the competition and teamwork elements can be pretty invigorating.

Sheila - I love Seattle. Everything was so green and pretty. Glad you guys had a good trip!

Birch - I have some things in my head that go back to my youth, too. Funny how they pop up sometimes.

Sheila - sorry about the ankle. Swimming might be good, just be careful and don't hurt yourself.

Michele - the dress is from Frederick's of Hollywood, actually. I ordered it today, will let you know how the cut runs. They also sells things to help make what you have fill out the cleavage.

Dagmar - hope your legs are feeling better today! And definitely get in with the hairdresser before she goes out of town. Have to have priorities! And stay away from the chips! on the situation with DH.

Pat - what, you can't fit half the house in your carryon?

Jessica - chocolate cake riding a tricycle... Weird. But yes, if it caught me I would totally eat it, too.

Marie - glad you are feeling better today! I like being in a good mood better than the blues, too.

Iris - good luck at the symposium!

Kim - I lost past my goal, and have actually gained a little back with my strength training this year, so I don't have any great advice on how to kick start the loss back up. You mentioned recovering from binge eating, maybe just keeping an eye on that will start things moving again? The different proportions of foods at different times could help you cut a few calories without triggering the BE?

Good afternoon all!

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #40

S/C/G: 152/ticker/132/33

Marie Rod Stewart singing "Maggie May" was the first real "rock'n' roll" album that I bought. My musical taste, until then, ran to the Partridge Family and K-Tel's Top 50 hits. I thought Rod was incredibly sexy back in the day.

DH and I are discussing things I can do to get a social circle and he still keeps harping on two things that I don't want or can't afford to do. One is moving to a smaller city and taking a minimum wage job. The other is moving to a "pedestrian" neighbourhood. We have been having these talks for 10 years now. I wish he could offer me some sensible and productive suggestions. Right now he's just making me mad .

He's driving out to the other end of Toronto tonite to try to pick up a stand up punching bag for a really cheap price. I hope he gets it. I'll be whacking away at it quite regularly for the next year and a bit.

Enjoy your evening all!

Dagmar

Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" - Mary Ann Radmacher

Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #41
Mel

I'm at the Leonard Cohen thread. I detest his music (music???) always have. DH (being a good Canadian) loves him and has seen him umpteen times. Always without me . He doesn't put me to sleep, it's more like a claws on a blackboard reaction.

Jay, some of us still listen to folk music....just NOT Leonard Cohen!

Shannon, love the dress! That's what I popped in looking for. If I had somewhere to go, I'd wear that in the blue and I'm a whole lot older. Have fun!

Mel

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

9 years at or under goal weight! Working Maintenance Everyday
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #42
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Oh, Yes, Suzanne:
And you want to travel with her
And you want to travel blind
And you know that she will trust you
For you've touched her perfect body with your mind.
BILL ~OK buddy, I will trade you one NEIL DIAMOND SUZANNE for all of Leonard's...

on second thought....yawn....I won't make that trade!

JESSICA ~ My son...track...and daughter...tennis...had several matches at the Claremont Colleges when they were in college....sure looked like a neat area....being Pomona and all

SHANNON ~ Showed Angie the dress last night she said...YES!!...

I say NO!....for 2 reasons...both as a married man...

#1 ~ For all those poor young men... that didn't ask you out because they were too nervous....having to look at you all night in that dress...going through all the "what if's"...well....it just wouldn't be right!...wouldn't be fair...

#2 ~ For your husband....knowing from experience when Angie dresses in that flat out gorgeous look....making him sit through all the "hits" from the guys and making him wait all night long...knowing he is the one taking you home...well....the pressure to "perform" up to the EXAMPLE you will set in that dress can sometimes be quite nerve racking for the husband!

As your friend I will leave the choice up to you but...if you decide to wear the dress... you better be ready for a busy night!

Last edited by EZMONEY : 04-20-2010 at 08:51 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #43
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

OH! Almost forgot...I have a Rod Stewart story....somewhere around 1975 my future ex-wife, best friend and another girl friend of ours went to old Balboa Stadium in San Diego to see him. We had a cooler with a case of beer on ice....as we tried to go through the gate the guard said "No cans or bottles"....this was a first for us....way back then....

well crud...my buddy and I drank a few real fast...then we dumped out the ice...and were about to open all the cans and dump them when my buddy says "wait a minute"....goes and talks to the guard....has this bright idea...we dump the beer out of the cans into the ice chest....guard says "I was told no cans or bottles....they didn't say anything about not bringing in a cooler"...

score!

So we open all the cans and pour them into the cooler...

then...

we realize we had dumped all the ice on the ground...so we proceed to pick up ice that was... a bit...OK..a little more than a bit grassy....

Seeing as how we already had quite a buzz from drinking probably 3 beers each in record time we said "what the heck and put the dirty ice in with the beer"...

who wants warm beer anyway right?....

Well....the beer got drank...

Don't remember much about ROD that day but I do remember the...

hangover!

Last edited by EZMONEY : 04-20-2010 at 09:03 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #44
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

The chat thread is cracking me up this week. Carry on!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #45

Height: 5'7"

-from Song of Myself, Walt Whitman
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.