Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #76  
Working My Way Back Down

Weird day. Took DH to the airport last night around 11pm, and was supposed to pick up a friend who was coming in at 12:45 am. I went to the ATM after dropping DH, and then called the airline to check on my friend's flight. 30 minutes early!! Yay! We had her luggage and were on the road home before she was even supposed to land. Still it was 2 am by the time I was in bed (with both cats clinging to me). I woke up at the normal time, slept about an hour more, and got up and went about the day. It's now nearly 5 pm and I feel a little out of it. Strange, not really tired, but low on energy.

Susan, you must go soon!!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #77  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

JESSICA and ALLISON ~

I saw this yesterday and remembered you gals talking about it last week while I was lurking....still 8 pounds away of coming back to "maintainer"

check out the Top 10...especially #5

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...ry=1515;page=1
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #78  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Ah - Georgia Tech squeaked in at #100.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Pat - thanks, i will go this week - I promise!!
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #80  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Pat, how often can we say that an airplane is early??? That's awesome. Can you imagine 5 pm yesterday if you'd gone to sleep even later? You'd have felt strange and tired.

sznn, there must have been something in the atmosphere beyond the ash over Europe. I so struggled on my elliptical workout yesterday. I didn't even try to make my time/distance minimum goal. I did, however, hit start again and finished the distance. I just couldn't make my legs go faster.

Shannon, I always feel like that on my rest days. Always. I usually find a way to go walking so it's not a workout but it's still moving. Today is my rest day and I plan to mosey to my treadmill. I've already been out walking/training Sasha (she's now on an IEP). DH took 3 huskies and I worked with her. Certainly no aerobics involved in that walk.

So about a year ago I told my mother earth sister that whole wheat bread tasted crappy and I refused to eat it. She said that whole wheat flour goes rancid nearly immediately after milling and that's why I hated it. That I needed to mill my own. I finally ordered the Kitchen Aid mill attachment and from amazon prime 10 pounds of wheat berries. The mill hasn't come but I really wanted to try it. So I took little amounts of the berries and pulvarized them in my Magic Bullet. It worked! I made whole wheat bread last weekend that was amazing. Yesterday I used the recipe for a pizza crust and topped it with oil free fresh pesto and fresh mozzerella. It was the BEST pizza on earth. I had to call her and eat "crow". So now I have whole wheat bread in the bread machine and whole wheat choc chip slendered down cookie dough in the fridge (getting firmer). I think my sister started a monster. Do any of you mill your own whole wheat?
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #81  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
So about a year ago I told my mother earth sister that whole wheat bread tasted crappy and I refused to eat it. She said that whole wheat flour goes rancid nearly immediately after milling and that's why I hated it. That I needed to mill my own. I finally ordered the Kitchen Aid mill attachment and from amazon prime 10 pounds of wheat berries. The mill hasn't come but I really wanted to try it. So I took little amounts of the berries and pulvarized them in my Magic Bullet. It worked! I made whole wheat bread last weekend that was amazing. Yesterday I used the recipe for a pizza crust and topped it with oil free fresh pesto and fresh mozzerella. It was the BEST pizza on earth. I had to call her and eat "crow". So now I have whole wheat bread in the bread machine and whole wheat choc chip slendered down cookie dough in the fridge (getting firmer). I think my sister started a monster. Do any of you mill your own whole wheat?
Marie
Boy this is something I'd like to do. I have problems with ww flour going rancid too, even when I keep it in my freezer. First I guess I should see where I can get wheat berries here. Amazon won't ship anything from their "grocery" section to Alaska.... I have a Kitchenaid - didn't know they had a milling attachment. I love my grinder attachment. I can make relish from zucchini and peppers, etc that that has the same consistency as the store stuff, but a much more amazing taste.

DH is safely in Massachusetts, so I can rest easy. Now to get myself organized and ready to go by Wed night.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #82  
Workin' It

I didn't even know you could mill your own wheat. Wow. I wanna try that... That, and I want to learn how to make seitan, make my own Greek style yogurt and to actually cook a homemade corn tortilla without exploding it all over the kitchen. (Tried and failed. Lots.) I have a lot of big goals, but never get closer to them. I live vicariously on those things through others. Going to be thinking about your pizza dough all night tonight, Marie!

Susan - I had a good run today, but Tuesday and Thursday both almost killed me... only 6 miles today, but I felt good and ran almost all of it. When is your half? June?

Pat - that was a lot of business for one trip to the airport! Hope you got some rest today!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 04-18-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi Shannon - yes my 1/2 is at the end of June - so i still have time to train.
I went for a run today with my 10k clinic (race is May 9) Did about 10K - went with the slower pace group so it was fine.
Near the end of the run - i was looping back to meet the rest of the group and i slid off the curb at a bad angle and rolled my ankle. Luckily, I don't think i did any serious damage. Been icing it and resting it all day. I am going to do my next run on Wednesday if it feels back to normal. What a drag.
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #84  

hi all,
slowly easing myself back into exercise...did a short treadmill run yesterday & will do another when I get up. Spring has broken out, it is lovely weather and everything is in bloom...prime pollen weather! I have started on my allergie meds, and am battling between sleepiness and wheeziness.

marie..milling your own flour???!!! That is amazing!

pat - I hope you are recuperated from your trip to the airport

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote