Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I have learned to ignore pet hair. My housecleaners come every two weeks and do a great vacuuming job and I don't do anything else. Oh if there are "tumbleweeds" of cat hair I do pick those up by hand.

I housecleaned for a living for several years part time and I was forced to clean my parents' entire house every week when I was unemployed and living with them. I swore that, when I could afford cleaners, I would never, ever, ever clean again.

And Dyson vacs rock! I did a house sit with two golden retrievers, a long haired and a short haired cat, and I had to vacuum. I couldn't breathe after three days of all of these pets shedding so I used the Dyson. Awesome! Totally worth the gazillion dollars they cost!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Chico went swimming yesterday and while drying him off hair was flying everywhere! I'm the same as Dagmar--the housekeepers do the majority of it and if I see tufts I get out my Dyson hand vac to get rid of those. I also have the Dyson upright, but rarely pull it out to do anything. I may have to today, however. DH must have walked through the mud on Saturday so when he put his shoes on this morning, the dried dirt got tracked all over the house. Guess what I'm doing when I get home? Such fun!

Support for the Dyson. I had been told that Oreck was the best, so we got one when we moved to our new house. I couldn't understand why, with two dogs, we didn't fill up more bags. Then we got a Dyson. First we vacuumed the living room with the Oreck. Then we re-vacuumed with the Dyson. WE FILLED THE CANISTER! Ugh. To think of all the crap that was in that carpet! Speaking of which, I need to schedule a carpet cleaning...
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #18  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I have the lightweight dyson model with the ball. LOVE IT! I got it at woot dot com.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Pet hair is just a part of home decor... =) My parents just got a Dyson and my mom LOVES is for all the dog hair. My BF and I have two cats and we could use something like that, not that we could afford one but they are shedding like crazy right now. And speaking of fat pets... let me just say that the orange tabby is seriously starting to resemble Garfield. Diet time for the kitties AND me!

I've been feeling a little blue and very stressed, and I am another emotional eater so things have not been going well on my "get the extra 5lbs back off and maintain it" efforts. I think a buddy to exercise with would be really helpful - both for boosting my mood and getting me back into a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately my only option here is my BF, and he's way too easy on me - lets me off the hook if I even mention feeling tired or stressed.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #20  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Iris, I've been feeling a bit blue as well. For me, our weather has been atrocious for 3 weeks - it is currently sleeting. So I'm struggling with blues eating. I have one lucky aspect - I don't snack in the evening so if I goof up all day (like I did today) I can still make my calorie goal. I'd be your exercise buddy but I love exercising and don't have any trouble doing it, usually I go for twice a day. Heck it keeps me out of the kitchen.

On the vacuum front, with for huskies, no vacuum can keep up with them. We put in all wood floors, I use a big push mop (picture the wide things in elementary schools) to gather the wool, then dustpan it. Then I take a 5 gallon shop vac to the corners. I truly swear by the big push mop thingie. Really simplified my cleaning. 10 minutes and my floors are fur free until one flies through the house - releasing more fur from the constant shedding machine.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #21  

Marie, I love your pic with your dogs!

I'm going to make my BF start working out with me when he gets home. Or rather, make myself start working out with him, since he's the one who's already got a routine =) I just have to get him not to let me off the hook - he works out in the AM and I never want to get out of bed!

I'm not sure what my case of the blues is stemming from, but something's got to give because my relationship with ice cream needs to be broken up. ASAP. After I ate a large bowl of it tonight, I thought - why didn't I just have a glass of wine? It would have been less calories and I would have enjoyed it more (ice cream doesn't really agree with me, but I love it so much).

I finally finished my taxes - they were a bit confusing this year and I still refuse to pay for a tax service. Just need to photocopy and mail!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Iris I'm with you on doing my own taxes. I get a real feeling of accomplishment doing it myself as I'm not at all math oriented. And, having the business and personal taxes, I save a bundle on not hiring an accountant. It does take me a lot of time though - usually 3 Sundays to get it done. Good thing the filing deadline is in April - not too much going on other wise.

Marie I like the idea of the big push mop for the dog hair. So much quieter than vacuuming and most pets do not like the vacuum!

Pat I have seriously been considering installing some sort of electronic opener on the door which would attach to the cats' collars. Not only am I at the door all the time but Mudpie likes to hover right in the open door, just like a big furry black & orange bee. She's not out, she not in, she's in between!

DH has a practice exam for the CMA on Friday. I have not joined him in the "anxiety eating" but I am having "anxiety dreams". At this rate I'll be a wreck and he'll weigh over 300 lbs. by the time he's done this thing.

I keep telling him that exercise will reduce stress levels much more effectively than eating but he's not buying it. I did drag him for a walk last night so I'll soldier on with getting him off the couch at least 3 evenings a week.

Have a great Tuesday all! I'm going to go lift weights now.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #23  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Dagmar, cats seem to like nothing more than to be in an open door. I can't tell you how many minutes I've spent, probably hours over the years, standing with a door open while a cat reviewed its options. And they do want all options available, all the time.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #24  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Hmm, I may have to go buy a Dyson! Not that I vacuum . . . ever . . . We vacuum about once every 2 months. Our house is full of dog hair and bits and pieces of dog toys that Carter has shredded.

I saw this link off of something on Facebook today and got really annoyed: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-oz...s-commandments

It's Dr. Oz's "weight loss commandments." Some of them are okay, but some of them are totally ridiculous (like #9, which basically says "don't carry money or you might use it to buy food!"). I hate that so many people who are supposedly doctors come out with crap like this and fad diets. IMO there are only TWO weight loss "commandments" -- eat less, and move more. Beyond that everything has to be tailored to an individual.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I had a Dyson and I got rid of it. Why, you ask? Because we got rid of all of the carpets in our house! We only have laminate floors and ceramic tiles so no need for the Dyson. It was GREAT though and like others have said-- you can vacuum with another vacuum and then with the Dyson and get tons of hair up!

My foot is feeling somewhat better. I did my "boxing boot camp" class last night and just modified some of it. My weight is down one pound of the five from the cruise. I can gain 5 pounds in 5 days but only lose 1 pound in 5 days....sigh..... I know I need to be patient but it always frustrates me!

I talked with a gal at the gym last night and she was starting a triathlon training group to do a mini triathlon. I would love to do that! I got some info last night from the club and would be all for it but dh is against me starting anything new-- time, money, etc. It doesn't cost much at all to join but I don't own a bike or shoes so I know I would have to get those, probably a wetsuit, and I don't know what else?? Dh is super stressed because his company is reorganizing and they are making their announcements later this week. We are also putting off filing our taxes until the 15th because we owe big $$ so I think mentioning it last night was poor timing on my part. I think I'll wait to make sure his job is intact before bringing it up again! He said he may have some different job options-- you are supposed to look at the possible slots and tell your boss which slots you might be interested in-- then "they" decide who gets what. He thinks there might be an opening in Dubai! I would be very open to going there except I would hate to move dd while she is still in high school and we would be leaving older dd while she is in college. I loved living in S. Africa though so I would be open to it. It meets my criteria-- it is warm (I HATE COLD)-- okay it is HOT, and my pets can go (no quarantine). We'll see if anything comes of it.....

Happy Tuesday everyone!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #26  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Iris, is there anyway you can change your hatred of morning exercise? I ask because I never could get out of bed to exercise. I’d drag myself to work and be bluesy all day. Then I’d exercise after work and feel so much better. A wise 3FC poster said to me about 4 years ago “Marie it’s not meant to be fun” in reference to getting up in the morning. It took 6 weeks of hearing her voice (post) when the alarm went off at the crack of dawn. Because I made the shift, I am so much more tolerant of others at work and generally very happy the entire day. So if you made the shift you’d be able to work out with BF and that can only be good.

Dagmar, I have the PowerPet door for my pack. I LOVE it!!!! I never have to open the doors for them. They go in and out at their whim. It was the best doggie dollars I’d ever spent.

Jessica, your commandments are the real ones. His are tricks that may or may not work – yours will.

Michele, very cool prospect of moving abroad. That could be awesome, especially the hot. Could you borrow a bike and wetsuit. Or at least buy used on Craigslist?

So I had an epiphany last night – I was grazing through the day (logging every bite) and went over my calories. I reviewed what I’d drank through the day. Hmmm, mocha, iced tea, diet pepsi. Not one water since the elliptical workout first thing. Not one drop. By the evening, I was so thirsty I was chugging water bottle after water bottle. So I put the two together I’m thinking that the need to graze was due to drinking crap as opposed to water. So today, water is my friend. Lots of it. To be honest, I am still thirsty from yesterday. Anyone else have that correlation of no water means munchies attack?
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #27  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Michele, depending on the triathlon and your level of commitment you can either do it on the cheap or spend a whole lot of money. For a sprint triathlon, if it's in the summer and the water is warm, you don't need a wetsuit (I don't own one and I did two sprints last summer). Also for a sprint you can get away with a cheap bike, even a mountain bike is fine. For the couple I did last year the biggest expense for me was registration fees, since triathlon registration is like $60-$75. I already had running shoes/clothes, a swimsuit, and a bike (hybrid, not a road bike). I did spend a decent amount of money on pool access for training, goggles, new bike helmet, lots of sunscreen, etc., but depending on what you already have you might not need to.

I'm thinking this year I might spring for actual triathlon clothing, or at least a pair of padded bike shorts. Still hoping I won't need a wetsuit though!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #28  

Michele, I would love to go to Dubai! I was in their airport for a layover when I went to Kenya and it's rather extravagant. They have live palm trees in the terminal... the whole city is beautiful. Is your high school DD the type who would think it was cool to move there or is she set on staying with her class? I would have loved it, but I know a lot of kids aren't that way. Good luck with whatever happens!

Marie, I also get munchie when I don't drink enough water (read: consume only caffeinated beverages). Which reminds me I need to rescue my trusty water bottle or buy a new one to start taking to work again - I've been drinking a lot less water without it because I hate buying water bottles. You are right and I am definitely going to give the morning thing another go when my BF gets back (he's away on business). So Thursday morning, which is perfect, exactly 2 weeks from my birthday.

Not sure why, but I have always used my birthday as a goal - as it approaches, I feel a sudden need to get healthy so I feel great when I am celebrating (always with food and drink!!) with friends.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

When I don't drink enough water in the morning, I get really tired in the afternoon and start craving a nap. While that isn't so bad to take a nap, it's next to impossible to do when I'm at work! But it interrupts my motivation on the weekends, so I need to remember to drink plenty then.

I just got my hair done. I always feel so much fresher with the color replenished!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #30  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Just a vacuum cleaner comment... I will never use a bagless vacuum cleaner again... I suffered with a Bissell--my "bagless fiasco." Had to wash two of the filters and the dirt container every single time I vacuumed, in addition to replacing filters every few times, and it all just got really old... Plus the whole point of not having the bag was not having to be exposed to the house dust and cat dander, and there was no way to empty that dirt container without a cloud of dust. Then with the washing I was up to my wrists in it anyway.

I have a Kenmore Progressive now, and I love it! Bags, wonderful things!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote