Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default Balancing exercise restrictions with maintenance

I admit I'm a little terrified. Today, after the injection was complete, the doctor recommended no exercise (at least no walking, running, etc. need to get more details) for 2-3 weeks I did not know this going in and would certainly have reevaluated the procedure if he had told me that. I can't imagine going that long without any cardio.

I would love to hear other people's experience with this. I'm just getting a handle on the 8 lbs I gained over the last 6 months and I sure don't need to add another 5. Thanks
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Cyndi! Fingers crossed that the injection works for you!

In this great adventure of maintenance, I've had -- gulp -- nine surgeries and recoveries, including rotator cuff repair and both knees replaced. So I've had to deal those mandatory layoffs from exercise. Just like you, I was panicked at the idea of not being able to exercise, but what I found is that it's true what everyone says: weight loss/maintenance is at least 80% what we eat.

What I did was have a lot of healthy food on hand (I cooked and froze in advance of the surgeries) and stuck to my food plan like glue. It's really easy when you're hurting and in recovery to use food as a "poor me" kind of treat, but that's what has to be avoided! I was scrupulous in sticking to all my weight loss/maintenance skills, like planning meals in advance, weighing and measuring portions, logging every bite, lick and taste, and sticking to my daily calorie limit.

The result, every time, was maintenance. No weight gain.

So I think you're going to be just fine for the 2 - 3 weeks that you can't run. Just stick to your food plan 100% and don't fall into the trap of consoling yourself with food. And if you're allowed to do any exercise at all -- any lifting, maybe? -- that would be a bonus. But if you're careful and practice all your good maintenance skills, I think you're going to come out of this without a gain and maybe even a loss.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
What I did was have a lot of healthy food on hand (I cooked and froze in advance of the surgeries) and stuck to my food plan like glue. It's really easy when you're hurting and in recovery to use food as a "poor me" kind of treat, but that's what has to be avoided! I was scrupulous in sticking to all my weight loss/maintenance skills, like planning meals in advance, weighing and measuring portions, logging every bite, lick and taste, and sticking to my daily calorie limit.

The result, every time, was maintenance. No weight gain.
What Meg said. Through a knee surgery, a rotator cuff injury, and of course, the endless shoulder issue. Eating is definitely more important, so if you do that, you'll most likely be good. You just have to avoid the "poor me" eating (and I'm not sure if you're on any pain medication, but that's a huge eating trigger for me...I have to actively manage my eating to avoid eating too much if I am on pain meds).

You can do it! And soon you'll be back to normal and ready to move forward.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Thanks Meg and Amanda, I knew a little perspective was needed. I've spent 2 1/2 years refusing to let the limitations stop me so being told to take it easy didn't sit too well. I was really annoyed that he hadn't mentioned that ahead of time too. I think he was surprised that someone zoned out on xanax could be so argumentative I will call today to get more specifics and then I'll make a plan I can live with. He was clear that he didn't think I'd do anymore damage by walking so I'll find a balance. If I can bike that will solve the problem. I'm already at 1200-1300 calories so reducing that will be my last choice.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #5  
Meg

about the Xanax and arguing! Clearly your doctor hasn't met a determined chickie before!! I've found that the default position with doctors is "don't exercise", but if I say "nope, that's not acceptable, I'm maintaining a large weight loss and exercise is essential", then invariably they become quite helpful in putting together a program. Most doctors are thrilled when they have a patient who insists on exercising because generally it's the other way around and they can't get patients to exercise at all.

Walking or even biking would be great, but if you stick to your 1200 - 1300 calories, there's no way you can gain weight even without exercise. You might maintain, but that's OK for a few weeks.

Let us know what your doctor says.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My best advice would be do what your doctor says. Why would you risk doing more damage? Give it time to heal. And ask your doc about PT sessions--whether they would help.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Thanks for the advice. I called back this afternoon and just explained the situation - maintenance, need to move.... His nurse was great and got me an answer I can live with. As I said, it's not an issue of doing any additional damage it's just about maximizing the steroid benefit.

JayEll - my PT is actually the person who convinced me to try the doctor consult. I've been off and on this merry go round for 10 years. I've found that with chronic stuff there's a fine line between not doing too much and using the pain as an excuse to do too little. Gotta keep moving
Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #8  
Meg

Cyndi, that's great! I'm glad you got an answer you can live with. You're going to do just fine during your little layoff and come back stronger than ever!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I have chronic pain, too, and I know that fine line.

I'm glad you got some answers!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #10  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hi! Popping in to say I hope you start to feel better
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote