Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #46  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone! I'm glad to see I'm not the only reformed layabout! I walked a lot of places on campus in college, but planned my walks to and from class to avoid the big hills... I also drove a lot more often than I should, and paid a lot of money in parking fines to park in the teachers lot closest to the classroom buildings or the commuter lots a little further out. (If you lived on campus you typically were only permitted to park around your own residence hall or in the common areas, they saved the parking for the commuters.) There was a huge hill up to the Sciences building. Is it any coincidence that I dropped my Chemistry major for Liberal Arts (that was in a building located in the flat, center of campus) after my freshman year? I think not. I actually took camping & roller skating as two of my PE credits. We had to have 6 - I got one from First Aid, one from the required Healthy Living class, 2 from marching band and the other two from the camping & rollerskating. I signed up for and dropped walking, tennis, bowling, cycling, swimming and yoga. Dropped the yoga because it was at 7:30 in the morning and I just wasn't getting up for that...

Ward - I saw the discussion last week on your avatar pic, but didn't get back and comment. Too cute. I love the fact that your daughter drew you looking so happy.

Jessica - Sounds like your PE history was a lot like mine. I would like to think I would have taken Tai Chi, but in looking back I doubt it.

Allison - exactly what I would have said about night time water aerobics. Don't feel like a whiner now about your knee - not exercising for a time because of injury is totally different from our slacker youth. I'm glad it is recovering well.

Michele - I was the same way in grad school about my GPA, so I understand where you are coming from. I knew that there were more important things and that it wasn't worth going crazy over, yet I went crazy over it anyway. Good luck on your exam.

Pat - definitely harder to reverse things then to keep going! I wouldn't have thought about you walking less in Alaska, but that makes sense. Things are further apart, so not as easy to walk, plus cold!

Marie - glad my walking story entertained you. It entertains me now, too! My friends gave me so much heck in college over that... Still do, actually. I hope you guys don't get more snow!

Dagmar - sorry the day got out of control for you. I imagine you were worn out last night. It is good that DH is recognizing his patters, that should help. (Okay, I have to ask, how do you walk the 'equivalent of 21 dogs'? One dog more than once?)

Megan - on getting in and getting some workout done! I did the same thing last night. Short workout, but at least it was something. Sorry about your tomato plants... But, it will be fun putting more out.

Kim - the human bodies ability to spring back and give us another chance after neglecting it for so long is amazing to me.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #47  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Dagmar, that’s just a tad too much dog walking. You are a saint!

Megan, you did great getting your exercise in. I don’t think I could have chosen goalie even though I hate running. Having flying things zinged at me would have been too scary. I’m thinking I would have limped all through middle and high school.

Shannon, ok that’s pushing it – dropping your science major for liberal arts because of a hill. Please say there was more.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #48  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Shannon, ok that’s pushing it – dropping your science major for liberal arts because of a hill. Please say there was more.
I was teasing with the dropping the major because of the hill... There was more. I can track my chemistry major choice back to one teacher in school. In junior high my parents were fighting a lot, which distracted me and led to a pretty bad seventh grade year. Some bad grades later I ended up in what was then called the 'C' track at my school - before that I was in the top 5% of the 'A' track and on the road for college prep classes in high school. My science teacher in 8th grade paid attention to me and really pushed me to do excel - she actually petitioned at the end of my eight grade year to get me directly back into the CP classes for 9th grade (my school didn't start AP until 10th grade) without having to step through the B level first. Without her input I wouldn't have been able to jump a track and get regain the ground I lost. The same year I moved to high school she actually did too, so she was my teacher for physical science in 9th grade, chemistry in 11th grade and physics in 12th grade. She put me on the science team, made me captain and was always encouraging to me. I was good in science, but not excellent. I made A's because I pushed myself so hard to do so, but it was never easy for me. I declared the chemistry major at her urging, she actually got me a job as a lab assistant my freshman year because she knew the department head. When I got to college I had to really decide where my talents really were, and I realized that I didn't love the major I had chosen and I couldn't vision myself working as a chemistry teacher or in engineering forever. I was also a little intimidated by the fact that I was one of very few women in the program at the time, and I just wasn't all that strong then. I moved to a French major at the time, thinking I would teach. Discovered I wasn't the best at the teaching, and after wandering for a few years I wound up in HR. I often wonder if I should have stuck with the chemistry major to begin with, wondered if I gave up because it was harder than I wanted it to be as an 18 year old kid away from home, if I took the easy road. I'm good at what I do, and enjoy my job, so am glad to be here in the long run but do still sometimes wonder what would have happened. So, no, didn't just change the major because of the hill outside the science building or the 8am chemistry class my first quarter as a freshman.

Long answer to a short question, sorry about that.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #49  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Stressing out this week due to all I have to do. Trying to tackle things one at a time but still overwhelmed. Thank God my book fair is over but I'm still finalizing it/putting the library back in order! I'm taking a hellacious class and it is my primary stressor right now. I don't understand the material too well and I'm afraid I'm going to blow my 4.0 GPA. Dh says just to finish and pass and I know he's right, but I'm stressing over the exam I have to take and the major project I've barely started. I'm off to work on it now before spin class. I will spin out my stress!!
Missed this yesterday, Michele. And I agree with everyone else - you'll still get your degree! And it's not likely anyone will look at your grades in every single class! For all that I felt the same way for each of my degrees - after the first one since I was a very immature 17 year old when I went to college, and it was my first time living away from home. Definitely enjoyed the social life and independence more than the studies at college! Also a college campus with a higher population than my whole town, and where every building was larger than my HS was a little overwhelming! Glad it's all behind me.

It's not that I couldn't walk in Alaska, it's that I don't walk instead of driving to go places. Actually, our little town is very walkable, and I did walk everywhere during the workday in the spring/summer/fall, but it wasn't a lot since it's a 4x6 block town.

DH comes home tonight! Yay!! I've enjoyed my time alone, but I'm ready to have him home again.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I think I need some new patterns of behaviour. But how to find them? I bought the "Full Catastrophe Living" book that someone recommended but haven't had time to even open it!

I'm fine as long as things are going well. When stress hits - bang! Back to binge eating in the evening to counteract all the caffeine I've drunk during the day to keep going.

Arrrggghh! I'm 53 years old and I have to start saying no to people. I can't sustain the kind of workload I could in my 40's. 21 dogs is too much!

And someone kill my male cat please! More on that when I have time.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #51  
Workin' It

Good morning! Wow, I'm tired today. I've been tired all week, actually, and ended up late again last night. I don't feel as draggy as I did yesterday, just kind of worn. Planning to go for new running shoes today, and will get my ING medal engraved while there. I'm thinking I need to look for different running shoes - my Asics have been great, but when I bought them I was just beginning and running about 8 miles per week. I'm doing 20-25 now, plus my stride is a little different. Still have to figure out what to do about the two different size feet thing... Don't want to have to buy two pairs of shoes...

Pat - glad DH is home!

Dagmar - I imagine it is hard saying no when things happen like the other walker breaking her ankle. Don't kill yourself filling the gap for her, though. What is going on with your cat?

Good day everyone!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon-- have you gotten running shoes at a specialty shoe shop? I've heard they measure you, look at your gait, etc. before recommending shoes.

Dagmar-- what is your cat doing? I'm taking my kitty back to the vet today. I'm very worried about him and hope I'm worrying unnecessarily. This is the kitty that all of a sudden was allergic to all commercial kitty foods. We started feeding him chicken which he tolerated but he didn't eat much and dropped a ton of weight. This past week we've been adding a little canned dog food into the chicken and he's eating more but I'm not sure we should be doing that and he is wheezing still. I'm just praying there isn't something terrible going on that we're missing.

My dh comes back today. He's been out of town all week. I'm hoping he'll go to the vet with me for moral support-- plus he loves this kitty. If the vet recommends expensive tests while he is there, he'll say go ahead. But if he isn't there and I come home saying I ok'd $$$ of tests he won't be happy! Men!

Will be working on my test and project tonight most likely and Saturday. Saturday is my first day off in weeks. Sunday I work and then dh and I are going to Sonoma (wine country) to hear the author of Under the Tuscan Sun and get her new book signed (he will drink wine-- I probably won't).

Happy Weekend everyone!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #53  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Shannon, I love hearing stories about teachers that make such a positive difference in a child’s life. Working in a school district, I see the slackers and the great teachers. You had a great one! BTW I liked the long answer. I am a reformed HR manager. I did that for the first part of my career and it was an emotional rollercoaster. I hated firing people (someday I should describe my first firing but it would be best on Halloween). I loved hiring people but hated rejecting a candidate because another candidate had just one thing that was a better match. So now I play with computers and have a lot less stress in my life.

Pat, enjoy your time with your DH. Separations are not fun.

Ditto on your reunion Michele. I make DH come to the vet with me too. They don't like hearing the total sum but if they see what led to it makes it a little more palatable.

Dagmar, hugs to you and hope the stress reduces some. Do you have a vet or college pre-vet program that you could tap into to add a little help to walk the dogs?

DGS and DD are arriving later today and I am so looking forward to the weekend. We’re going over the mountain tomorrow for a day’s adventure (science museum, shopping, etc). It’s going to be fun!

Marie

Last edited by Marie; 03-26-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #54  
Workin' It

Michele - I did get my running shoes fitted at a specialty store, and they recommended a great pair of shoes. My biggest trouble is that my right foot is 7.5 and my left is 7, running shoes should size .5 up for swelling during the run, but putting an 8 on the left was way too big. So we opted to squish the right and start the laces two holes up from the bottom to allow more room... I'm going to head back there today after work and see if my fit has changed this year.... I hope the vet visit goes well with your kitty. I know you have been worried about the eating.

Marie - I don't love the firing part, either... I've considered working with computers, actually. They don't talk back... I did HR & Accounting at one of my jobs and it was actually pretty relaxing on accounting days.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #55  

How do those of you with desk/computer jobs handle the "munchies"?
I am not usually at my desk/computer much except for Fridays. I find myself wanting to eat constantly! I think I am orally fixated on food! I bring healthy snacks and drink hot tea but I'm constantly thinking of what I can eat next. I know I'm not really hungry even though I think I am! Ugh!!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #56  
Workin' It

Michele - lots of tea, water and coffee... and lots of healthy snacks ready to grab on command....
Old 03-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I don't really munch much at all at my desk. I have more of a problem once I get home and have a pantry and fridge filled with things that can be a problem. Funny how a package of pretzels from a year ago has never been opened because I KNOW that once it's open I'll eat them, but I just won't open it.....as for munchies at the desk, a baggie full of baby carrots and pea pods. If I'm really hungry, this will do the trick because it takes a lot of chewing. I drink copious amounts of water all day though (and coffee in the mornings).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Question Mishka the leopard . . .

. . . at least in his own little pea brain.

Mudpie was at the vet's all day Tuesday (giving a urine sample). We brought her home Tues. night.

Mishka has been screaming and hissing at her whenever he sees her since then. We've had this happen for a day in the past but it seems he's lost his little pea brain (probably shook it out of his head) this time.

It's Friday now. This is a small house. I'm tired of being unnerved every 5 minutes by the sound of a cat screeching and hissing. Mudpie is not egging him on so what's the deal?

I have scolded him, squirted him, and finally tapped him on the nose with my finger - the ultimate punishment for him.

Sigh. We're thinking Mudpie smells different when she comes home and this might have put him off in the past. But it's been 3 days. Surely "vet scent" has worn off by now.

At least he sleeps part of the time and is quiet then. Maybe he'll remember who she is on the weekend.

Dagmar (TGIF!!!)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Dagmar - my cat did that on the w/e...just went ballistic on the other cat for no reason. I think it was a scent issue - Cleo picked up something outside that made Cypress aggressive. Cypress even attacked DH in her craziness. We put some rescue remedy in her water - seemed to mellow her out until the scent faded off (about 24hrs).
Good luck - it is stressful.

S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #60  

Dagmar-- I hope Mishka is being nicer to Mudpie now!
For this exact reason, we brought Charlotte to the vet yesterday with Wilbur even though she wasn't being seen. If he goes without her, she is EVIL to him for a week!

Wilbur is okay I think. He had lost over 2 pounds in 2 months which is a ton for a cat. He is now a healthy weight though (11 pounds) so as long as he doesn't keep losing we are okay with it. We are going to try some different foods to see if we can find something he tolerates and will eat.