Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default Maintenance Behaviors that We do Very Well

I saw a commercial for Toaster Strudels today....advertised for breakfast for kids and I thought "that's not breakfast food." And I tried to think of the last time I had junk food for breakfast and I couldn't do it. Probably before Sept. 2007.

And I've been a little down on myself cause the scale is not where I want it to be, but I was really proud of the fact that I don't eat crap for breakfast anymore. If there's one thing I do right, day in and day out, without considering any alternative, it's a good and healthy breakfast.

So I thought about other maintenace behaviors I do well, and even though I'm far from perfect (whatever value perfect has, anyway!) I do a lot of things that I am proud of and that do help maintenance and I do them consistently:

1) Healthy breakfast. Always.
2) Lift weights 3 times a week. Unless I am sick or out of town, then it's 2 times a week.
3) 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. At least.
4) Soda is such a rarity for me. Once maybe every 6 months or so? Not on my radar.
5) Exercise most days a week.
6) Weigh often.....compared to going years and years and years between stepping on the scale.

So, even though I have yet to crush my affinity for goldfish crackers (which are tools of the devil), I do a lot of things right.

What are some of your Maintenance Behaviors that YOU do Very Well?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Great idea!

I'm really good at breakfast, too. I'm also really good at whipping up a nutritious dinner for DH in under 30 minutes. Rachel Ray eats my dust.

I'm really good at putting vegetables in everything. I try to have a vegetable at every meal (this doesn't always work with breakfast, sometimes, but not always).

Im really good at being consistent. I find something I like and stick with it. I have formed some great habits that have seen me through and lighten the load.

I'm really good at improvising a healthy meal on the road. I will do just about anything to avoid fast food.

I'm really good at turning people on to foods they would normally never eat. My turkey meatloaf with grated veggies mixed in with sweet potato baked fries opens a lot of people's eyes, surprisingly.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am really good at:

1. Getting in workouts. Seriously, even in extreme adversity (ie at 10pm after a networking dinner, or after 7 cortisone shots in my shoulder), I get them in. If I'm still breathing, I do not miss workouts. Sometimes I go easier because I'm sick, but I almost never skip.

2. Eating a healthy breakfast. It's just something I do naturally...even when facing the buffet at my hotel, I did a mental tally - OK, whole grain, fruit, protein...grab a little scrambled egg, some sliced berries, and a small bowl of oatmeal.

3. Like mentioned above, eating while out without stopping for fast food. Except Subway, I haven't eaten any fast food in probably 2 years, except a very rare McDonald's ice cream cone. Otherwise - not worth it! I find grocery stores, find protein bars in gas stations, and pack snacks whenever I have to travel.

4. Weighing daily. Even when I anticipate the results will not be good.

5. Getting lots of water. I love water, so this is easy.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #4  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

For me I eat healthy foods everyday and exercise daily cardio/weights, I get plenty of rest each night & I eat dark chocolate everyday. I consume healthy foods 80% of the time & 20 % not so healthy added to the mix for sanity sakes & going this route, I'm still holding my own going on 3 years now. Wendalyn
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #5  
No description available.

Jen, please share the meatloaf recipe! I also love to bulk out foods with veggies: spinach, zucchini, mushrooms in chile or spaghetti sauce or for taco salads.

I'm very good at packing lunches for work but I don't do very good at sticking to plan while out to eat. I still have too much of a "treat" mentality---the real treat is healthy food that works for my body!

Amanda, I do very well getting my water in, too. WTG on sticking to plan with your travels!

Last edited by midwife; 01-25-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #6  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Granola or oatmeal for breakfast every day. With fruit and nuts. Hearty!
Tons of veggies every day.
Packed lunch every workday for some 4 years now.
No seconds; almost NEVER.
Few liquid calories.
Lots of walking.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I've only been maintaining for around 6.5 months, so I'm not a pro by any means, but like the rest of you have mentioned, breakfast is a big, huge success. I don't remember a day that I haven't had a low calorie highly nutritious breakfast. It's actually my favorite meal of the day, and I always look forward to it...A fresh start, (no matter what happened the day before).

I still, every single day, log my calories, and keep track of my weekly averages, (no matter what happened the day before...lol

I limit my computer, TV, and general "sit down" time.

I cook and serve veggies plus a tossed salad every night for me AND my family. (As well as other meals we all eat together.)

I keep a HUGE bowl of fresh fruit on the counter...that is replenished often.

I always keep my house and car tidy and orderly, free of clutter. (Helps to keeps my mind free of clutter as well.)

Those are a few key behaviors that keep me going strong, I know there are more, just can't think of them right now.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 01-25-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

The things I do well and consistently are:

eat a healthy breakfast
pack lunch and snacks for work
nearly always cook a healthy evening meal using fresh ingredients
exercise 5-6 times a week for at least 30 mins
not drinking my calories (both alcohol and sugary drinks)
weigh-in once a week and record my weight

Things I need to work on and sometimes slip up on are:

not always getting 5 portions of fruit and veg
not always saying no to chocolate and candies

So all in all I'm not doing too bad.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Great thread!

I do a lot of things very well I'm happy to say. I'm also happy to say that they are so automatic to me that for me to sit and think about what they are is a bit difficult.

A few of them:

- I plan ahead
-I shop constantly
-I have tons of veggies in the house constantly. There is NEVER a time when I can not make something nutritious. NEVER.
-I have tons of fruit in my house
-I don't keep typical snacks in the house - chips, cookies, cakes, bars, etc..
-I serve my family healthy, nutritious foods - dinners are almost always a healthy, hearty bowl of soup, a low fat protein (chicken, fish) and a ginormous amount of veggies.
-I cook all my own foods, barely ever using processed ones (I'm too much of a calorie snob to do that)
-I exercise frequently. I am very active. Strength training 3 - 4 X a week.
-the only liquid calories I drink is the rare alcoholic beverage. ooh not true, I do have the occasional (lately it's been more frequent) 25 calorie hot chocolate.
-I take food with me all the time - snacks and if I'm out for an extended period, something heart-ier.

There are others, my mind is just going blank now. Time for my shower and a hot cup of tea.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #10  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

The things I've been good about are:
- exercising vigorously and consistently
- weighing daily (even when I think it will be bad)
- drinking lots of water
- and, maybe most importantly, getting back on the wagon when I slip.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #11  
Chuggin' along...

Good idea! Jen, yes, please share the meatloaf recipe!

- I always eat a healthy breakfast. Even if I'm going somewhere where I know there will be food served... oatmeal first.
- I drink tons of water, and very rarely drink soda.
- I almost always eat more than 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day.
- I get to the gym often, for cardio and strength training. The other week I felt like I had a "bad" gym week, added it up and I'd still gone 4x. That's not so "bad" after all. The only exception is vacations, which don't happen often.
-Like Robin, I shop often, always keep lots of fruits and veggies in the house, and don't keep junk around.
-I rarely eat out or get takeout or fast food.
-I plan ahead and pack food to take with me everywhere, since I know some days I will be out of the house for 12+ hours.

I do know my weaknesses (wine, too big portions, eating too much when I do go out or to a party, getting back on track more quickly when I slip), but thanks for reminding me to focus on all the things I do "right" midwife!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Count me in on the healthy breakfasts! I will occasionally have a splurge breakfast, but it's like, once a year. The rest of the time is oatmeal or raisin bran.

Other things I'm good at:
- weighing daily
- only eating out once a week
- planning out the week's meals every weekend
- cooking recipes with less than 400 calories per serving
- drinking massive quantities of water
- working out regularly, at least 2 days a week but usually 3-5

Edit - I also almost never drink soda.

Last edited by paperclippy; 01-27-2010 at 04:53 PM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #13  
Ready! Set! GO!

S/C/G: 218.8/196.4/143

Height: 5'7"

I'm new here and came across this post. I can't tell you ladies how inspiring this is, not to mention helpful. When reading this, I'm realizing that almost every one of you says pretty much the same thing. Healthy breakfast, lots of fruits and veggies, and working out consistently. It's good to know that goals are attainable and I can do it!

thanks
dandimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #14  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Stealing from some of the amazing ladies upthread:

1) Never missing workouts, even if sick or on TOM.
2) Getting right back to healthy behaviors when I take a timeout for some less healthy indulgences. Relatedly, not letting 1 unhealthy choice become a binge.
3) Never skipping meals, including breakfast. Fueling my body is important.
4) Weighing often but not obsessively.

I haven't been around the maintainers forum recently bc the 20-somethings keep me busy but I'm still here and I'm still trucking in month 3 of maintaining.

Last edited by forestroad; 01-27-2010 at 11:19 AM.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #15  
Workin' It

Things I do well...

1) I always eat breakfast now, unless I sleep so late that it is time for lunch when I get up. It is almost always a healthy breakfast.
2) I eat a lot of fruit, need to work on veggies more.
3) I weigh and chart it every day, even if I don't like it.
4) I log every single bite of everything that I eat.
5) I haven't gone an entire week without exercise in almost two years. Even my bad weeks when I was sick I have at least two exercise sessions in, sometimes more.
6) I'm good at getting my water in on most days.
7) I very seldom drink soda.
8) I don't consume artificial sweeteners.

Good thread midwife! I've been focused on what I wasn't doing lately, it is nice to remember that I am doing more than I realize.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote