Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #76  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Megan, rehearsals for what??? I’m sure if I searched your posts long enough I’d figure it out but I am lazy when I can be.
Marie, I participate in my local community theater group and right now I'm rehearsing for a play that will be performed at the end of January. I'm also on the board of directors, and often work backstage if I'm not in the play, plus I also sing in a local choral group, so I'm always running around to different rehearsals and meetings. This time around my character is a former beauty queen, quite the ditz, so it's fun but can actually be hard to be so far removed from my real-life personality!

I keep kvetching about rehearsals this time around b/c the timing is so awkward and totally messes up my routine (as the maintainers know I like my routine ). I work Mon-Fri 7:30-4, usually go to the gym straight from work. Rehearsals are 5-7 PM, where most plays I've been involved with rehearse at 6 or 6:30, leaving time for that workout from 4-6 with travel. I've been trying to fit in early or late workouts but...but... yeah I just like having my routine and my 8 hours of sleep.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #77  
Meg

Marie, what a beautiful dog family! I love their eyes, they look so intelligent.

We've never had a doggie maintainer before, so tell Blizzard to join us here in the Maintainers forum!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #78  
Workin' It

Marie - your dogs are beautiful! And, it was a big surprise to me when the 4s fit - that was actually six months after I reached goal. All about the weight lifting, baby!

Meg - hope the knee feels better soon. It is definitely a good day to hibernate with the cats.

Megan - glad your laptop came in! A couple of people in my company have Verizon cards and seem to like them. Good connectivity, and nicely portable.

Allison - sounds like you did as well as you could have with the eating last night, the grease would have killed me, too. And hope your DH plan works out! I was finding myself a little indignant on your behalf like Marie, actually.

Jessica - It is wicked cold here today again. We got pretty much no snow, but we got enough ice to freak everyone out. GA just doesn't know how to handle this stuff. I'm working from home today, DH is at work but less than half of their employees are there. You guys be careful out there.

Dagmar - stick to your list at the clients house tonight. You can do it.

For the last two days I have had a small afternoon binge. 400 cals of junk on Tuesday, 500 yesterday. I know it isn't a high calorie count, I'm still calling it a binge though. I felt pretty out of control - ate everything that came into my hands for about fifteen minutes before I started exercising. To me binges are about control, not quantity. And I didn't have it... I had some milk with protein powder with breakfast today, and added some brown rice at lunch to try to hold off the hungry crazy. Of course, I'm at home today so the situation is different. I might not want to binge since I'm here all day and won't be just getting home. Hm. We'll see. Doing well so far.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #79  

Meg,
Get well soon!
I hope the knee recovers smoothly,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Now I need to get internet set up. Actually a Verizon card has been recommended and the monthly price is the same as any high-speed internet service available locally, so I just need to figure out if I should 'add a line' onto my family's family plan, which is where my cell phone is, or if the price is the same just get my own plan.
Since I have two Verizon "family" plans here at work, I can tell you that it'd probably be less $$ to add the air card to your present plan. We used to have two cards here for laptops. I think the initial cost was around $75 and after that the monthly fee was about $50 as long as there were not roaming charges. They do tack on roaming charges so check that out!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #81  
Working My Way Back Down

Howdy! Now that my birthday is over, the holidays are gone til next year! No more cakes, etc. that I "need" to eat.

Marie - dogs are gorgeous. I love huskies. Unfortunately DH does not like dogs in general, and he and my cats are against me having one. And we travel enough to make it not a great idea at the moment anyway.

This is the afternoon view in my living room:

Megan - Yay on the laptop. How is the speed of an aircard vs. high speed internet? I have very little experience with air cards. My sister has one as she rented a place that was "illegal" in her community (as it didn't have 2 exits to the outside; one went into the garage below) so she couldn't have a landline/internet connection without getting the landlord in trouble. I used her laptop a couple times when I visited, but I really couldn't judge the speed of the card.

Alaska has lousy broadband access in general. At work we have 8b, but for residential use the "standard" is 768kb, and there are places in my general area where dial-up is all that's available. I was thrilled to discover this week that for just $12 more a month I could upgrade my phone package putting internet to 1mb (from 512!) and adding about 40 cable stations. (We get digital TV over the phone lines). I jumped on that, and I'm anxious to see how much difference it makes.

My headache was back this morning, and is still lurking in the background now at a little after 11 am. I'm thinking part of it is the awful way I've been eating this week. Not necessarily a lot of extra calories (except yesterday's cake ) but the fact that I've had a lot more processed food, less veggies, etc. Clean-up started today! And while I'm scheduled to go out to lunch with my GFs (we've been doing Friday lunch for nearly 15 years), I'm committed to ordering a chef's salad without cheese, dressing on the side.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Meg-- hope you recover quickly!!!

Pat-- your kitties are beautiful! What are their names? My kitties are Tonkinese and are named Charlotte and Wilbur (guess my favorite children's book!?)

I was very encouraged today when dd showed me she downloaded an app to track her calories, exercise, etc. She has entered her weight, how much she wants to lose, and it gave her calorie goals, etc. She seemed pretty excited about it. She has always been anti weight watchers so I told her about all of the successful calorie counters here.... crossing my fingers....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #83  
Working My Way Back Down

Thanks, Michele. I love siamese cats and these are like my 5th and 6th. THe one lying completely on DH is called Comet (she has a very long tail, which was completely out of proportion to her body as a kitten) and she's 12. The other is Simone who is just 2. She came from the shelter with her name and we liked it. She's a long-haired cat which I swore I'd never have again (never say never ) and a real sweetie. I love your kitties names as well.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #84  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Pat, I love the pics. Your kitties are beautiful! You live in a beautiful state. When we visited, I fell in love and a lot was due to the fact that the population reveres the dog. Right before our visit, my Golden had been caught and tortured. The local law enforcement didn’t care. So I visited Alaska and how could I not fall in love with your state?

Traveling Michele, I use LoseIt! For my iPhone (and it’s on my ipod touch). I love it. So easy and it’s always with me. I have no excuse not to log my food, weight and exercise. Best of all, it was a free app. I switched to it about a year ago. If your DD is using it, great. If not and she doesn't like the one she has, suggest LoseIt!

And Meg, Blizzard gratefully accepts the membership to the maintainers. She's my hero!

Last edited by Marie; 01-08-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #85  
Meg

Yay for Blizzard the Maintainer! Now I feel like we have a truly diverse group.

I'm walking around the house without my crutches this morning and trying to go without pain pills. Today I discovered that I can stand up without pushing off, which I couldn't do with the scar tissue in my knee. And the sound of ripping velcro (the scar tissue) is gone! I was so thrilled that I did a set of bodyweight squats and then decided that my doctor would probably kill me, so I sat down again. But I can go down to 90 degrees again! Woohoo!

Tomorrow I'm allowed to unwrap my leg (I'm ace bandage wrapped from my foot to mid-thigh) and take a shower, so long as I put plastic wrap over the holes in my knee. I'm going to feel like a bowl of leftovers in the frig but it will be worth a shower! Today I need to do some kind of sponge bath ... when I had my knees replaced, I mastered the art of a bath with legs out of the water, so need to revisit those skills.

Thank heavens we don't have off-plan food in the house because I definitely ate too much yesterday. Carbs, of course. Today I'll start out with a protein shake and really try to emphasize protein. My fingers are all swollen so I know I'm retaining water, probably from all the drugs and IVs. There isn't any point to get on the scale with all these bandages on, so I'll just be blissfully ignorant for a few days.

Who's snowed in? What's going on this weekend?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #86  

hi meg, good to hear your knee is doing so well!

The country NL is in full weather alarm mode, but actually it is not that bad: it is not snowing and the road in front of my house is clean. I might bike to the viillage store to get more coffee, but apart from that I do not plan to go out. I've got the wood stove going and I plan an easy weekend at home. Rowed this morning and I'm feeling pleasantly hot and comfy.

Have a great weekend all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #87  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I am hoping some of the ice is gone because I am off to spin. It's still 13 degrees, wind chill of 3.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #88  
No description available.

Meg,
Glad the recuperation is going well!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #89  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all! I'm super excited b/c I'm posting from my new laptop! There is one spot in the corner of one room in my house where I can steal wireless, albeit a "poor" connection (stealing wireless is wrong, I know, that's why I'm going to get my own setup!). I couldn't resist today. This is my BF's wireless spot b/c he's had a new laptop for about a year. I always make fun of him, now here I am.

I've got to get motivated to get out the door. It looks so cold out there though. This morning on the weather channel they were talking about how temps here in the south are only a few degrees different from Chicago. Brr! I need to go to the gym first since it closes at one, then drive to BF's house to check on his pipes and read his meter, then put up posters for the play. Then study my lines. I'm sure more laptop configuring/transferring hard drive/itunes library etc. will be involved too!

Meg, glad you're doing ok. You're right, don't stress about that water when you're on all those meds. Just eat right, rest, and it will come off soon enough.

I love it, a dog maintainer.

Have a good Saturday all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #90  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Morning, Megan!

Coo-ee! Megan!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote