Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-28-2009, 05:28 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: Week Of December 28 - January 3

We're heading into the New Year!

How's was everyone's Christmas (for those who celebrate)?

I weigh today what I did the week before Thanksgiving so feel like I made it through another holiday season unscathed (though the year isn't over yet!) -- whew! Even so, losing a few pounds is a goal because I won't be able to exercise much after I get my knee cleaned out next week and a cushion would be nice.

Today is a sad day because it's probably the last day for our old kitty. As I reported over the weekend, he stopped eating a few days ago and can't walk now, so it's probably time. We found him in 1991 on a sand dune in New Jersey, when he was only three weeks old and didn't even know how to lap kitten formula. So he's been part of the family for a long, long time. I sat in the dark with him on my lap this morning, talked to him, and hopefully got all of the tears out.

Other than that, I had a big day of errands planned since I tried to stay away from the stores this weekend, but snow may put an end to those plans. Our street isn't plowed yet so I'm not going to try to get to the gym yet. There's always later!

Check in and let us know how you're doing, what Santa brought, and about your New Year's Plans!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Good Morning!

Meg. It's no easier losing an old, old pet because we have so many more memories with them.

I am off to round 2 of Christmas today and will have no internet access until Thursday. DH went to sleep at 10 p.m. last night so he'll be fine to drive today. The weather looks good too! Whew!

Have a great week everyone and Happy New Year!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 AM   #3  
Meg

Have a great trip, Dagmar!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Meg - Sending supportive thoughts as you lead your dear old kitty down the last road. I've done that and tried to sooth the pain with all the intellectual arguments that I was doing the right thing, but it was a deep loss - one to be mourned.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #5  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I am sorry, Meg.

Have a great trip, Dagmar!

Hi Bill!

One more week with the kids home. We're all going to the gym in a little bit. I am almost ready to start Stage 3 of NRLW. I think I would be seeing results if I could just put the fork down.

I also had my inaugural swim at the aquatic center yesterday. The tri I want to do is 1/4 mi swim, 12 mi bike ride, and 5 k run. So yesterday I went to the gym and rode a (stationary) bike 12.6 mi and ran (on the treadmill) 3.1 mi. The pool didn't open until 1, so I went home and had lunch, then went over and swam for about 20 min. I lost count of the laps but I think I did the 1/4 mi. I think I'll be able to do it; it's not until June, though.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #6  

Sorry to hear about your cat. It is difficult to lose a pet, and takes courage to let them go when its time.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Meg

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

to you Meg what a long wonderful life your kitty has had. Doesn't make it any easier though.

WardHog-- I want to do a tri like that too. I don't have a bike though. Do you have one? I guess I would have to buy one before I seriously consider doing a tri.

Have a safe and happy trip Dagmar.

We are in Houston staying with the in-laws since Christmas Eve. Good and bad times....... challenging food wise, challenging exercise wise, and certainly challenging with the family!! I've been running/walking around the lakes here. I really hate running but I don't have a gym here and I have to do something! It is at the same time liberating and scary not to have a scale here. I normally weigh at least once a day and now I won't weigh for a week. My pants were feeling tight yesterday! I had a dream that I got on the scale and it said 130 something and I got off and got back on and it said 140 something so I got off and got back on and it said 11,000 pounds!

Yesterday we spent remembering our past life in Houston. We visited our first three houses including the first house we bought after we got married (and our first daughter was born there). We bought it in 1988 for 47,500 (foreclosure). It still has the paint job we put on 20 years ago (doesn't look good!). My girls got to appreciate how far we've come. We also visited the Veteran's Cemetery where my parents are buried. Left stones on their headstone, talked about them, and remembered. Someone had put wreaths on all of the graves in their section and it was quite beautiful to see.

Today I am going to visit my best friend that is pregnant. We will spend the afternoon/evening with them. I can't wait!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #9  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Michele, I bought a mountain bike last year but I haven't ridden much. There's really just no safe place to ride around here, unless you stick the bike on the back of the car and go to a trail or something. And that's really hard to do with two kids in tow. Anyway, the only significant ride I have gone on was when we were on vacation in Sept. I haven't ridden in about 30 years, so I was nervous and wobbly. We rode 18 miles, and I wrecked halfway into it. For me, it will be the scariest and most challenging part of the tri, but I've got six months to get myself up to speed.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #10  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Meg, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. It's sad to lose a dear member of your family, but please know that you are doing the very best for him. He has lived a long and happy life with your family.

Today, I'm at the top of my desired range at 135. Here's hoping that this week goes well for me. I'm off work for the week and like others I really need the structure to stay OP. I have many things that I want to accomplish this week but not alot of motivation to get started. I really need to get the tree (real) down today. It's really dry and I cannot wait to get it out. I'm still recovering from a lovely holiday cold that I got last week with lingering mucus and the accompanying hacky cough.

Wardhog, I'm impressed with your commitment to a tri. I'm not sure that I could complete the swimming portion.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #11  
Workin' It

Meg - I'm so sorry about your kitty.

Dagmar - have a good trip and be safe!

Ward - cool on the tri! I see crazy people riding bikes on the road around me and I always worry about them. Them and the people who run on the road out here with all of the construction zones... Wow.

Michele - 11,000 pounds! Wow! Funny dream. Sounds like you guys are having a great trip.

Losermom- I'm at the top of my range, too. Here's to both of us getting back down!

I ran 11 miles yesterday, my longest run ever. I'm feeling pretty good today, to my surprise. Thinking about signing up for a 10k for Friday afternoon - the ATC Resolution Run. I have until Wednesday at 11:59 to make up my mind. Food was also on target yesterday. Actually, my HRM says I burned the same number of calories on the run that I ate yesterday, so TDP shows a net zero. Am I supposed to eat more when that happens?

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Meg~sorry to hear about your kitty. Thankfully our vet thinks we've got another 6 months with our old dog now that we've found the best concoction of pain meds for him. Other than a bit of diarrhea last week, he's had no side effects.

Pat~Wow! That was a steal on your Keurig! I got the elite for $74 from Amazon and that was with free shipping. I think Target sells the elite for $80 or $85 and the big one you got is more like $175! The adapters at Amazon are about $12 FYI.

I don't want to talk about my weight...suffice it to say that I did so well in Italy and kept off what I had lost, but it all came back this holiday season. I've been doing a 45 minute cross train 3-4 times a week on the treadmill, and I'm not sure I'm up to doing more right now. I am suffering from a sore throat right now and fear I might be coming down with a cold.

On a brighter note we're supposed to be having our solar installed beginning today!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #13  
No description available.

Meg, I'm sorry.

Shannon, you should do it! Look at you! Back in the day when I was running for > 1hr at a time, I would add a snack. Usually a pb&j or some such.

Hello to all!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Meg, I'm so sorry about your cat. Saying goodbye is incredibly difficult, but know that you've given your kitty the best life ever. Seeing all the cats that end up at the shelter, I so appreciate people who provide wonderful forever homes for their pets. Thank you.

Hope everyone is having a good Monday!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Afternoon. Who said I had to work this week??? I want to be home.

The Keurig was a bit hit. I've ordered a sampling of different coffees, as well as the adapter. Our grocery where I got the brewer has 3 types only - one decaf and 2 regular.

My food was okay over the holiday - not POP, but not freefall either. Saturday I bought new jeans - on sale. They're the first I've had in over a year, and I did get a smaller size than I've been wearing. I replaced all my work pants last summer, but not jeans, so it feels good to have some that aren't falling down. Not that they would ever slip over my hips, but the legs are way too big, and the waist slips down and nothing stays tucked in. I'll still wear them at home - I'm too frugal not too.

This week's exercise continues to be swimming. There are two more "lessons" tomorrow and Wednesday, and then I'll be working it into my regular exercise routine. I'm getting more endurance which I need to count it as cardio. Next week is back to weights (been having a wee break), and then the Precision Nutrition Lean Eating program starts again mid- January. I've signed up for another six months, focusing more on weight loss this time, whereas the last six months I was concentrating on building muscle.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote