Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default How many maintainers only cook or eat "mock" recipes now?

The thought of using full-fat cheese, full-fat milk, real butter, non-whole wheat anything just hasn't crossed my mind in years now. I just can't do it. I don't do it consciously - it just doesn't occur in my mind.

For example, I would never make a quesedilla with real cheese and sour cream. Never. It is whole wheat (one wrap only, folded in half), measured skim cheese, salsa, and that's it. Can't do anything else.

I think this has played a huge role in my maintenance.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm pretty much the same way, but I don't think of them as "mock" recipes...just different recipes. I do still do some baking, and there's nothing low-cal about that, so I need to be moderate with it. On the other hand, I made a lot of jam this year as gifts for the holidays, and I completely unconsciously and without thought used the low-sugar pectin and recipes...just didn't cross my mind that 7 cups of sugar in a batch would be a good idea. And my meals are definitely cooked with these sorts of principles coming automatically...why use oil when I can use chicken stock, why add a pat of butter when it isn't necessary, etc.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #3  
Workin' It

I'm the same way, but like Amanda I don't see them as 'mock' recipes. I never cooked much before, so didn't have a lot of cooking habits to change. I did have to cut cheese out of my tacos. That was tough, but now I don't even notice.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I usually use low-fat versions of things (always skim milk, at least), but I still use full-fat cheese if that's what's at the store, and I eat some white breads, use white flour in most of my cooking, and eat regular pasta and white rice 90% of the time.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #5  
Meg

A few years ago, I went through my recipe files and binders and threw out all the recipes that started with "melt a stick of butter" (sorry, Paula Deen! ) Certain recipes and ingredients have become unthinkable. It actually was shocking to be reminded of what I used to cook (sausage and cheese balls for parties?! )

Occasionally I'll use a full-fat Roquefort in measured amounts and other "unhealthy" ingredients, but it's always portion controlled and used more as a garnish than mainstay of a recipe.

I agree with Amanda and Shannon that these aren't mock recipes at all; it's just a new way of cooking that's every bit as delicious and a whole lot healthier than the old ways.

ETA: Shannon, now that I've cut mozzarella cheese out of pizza, I actually prefer it that way, or with a little sprinkle of real Parmesan. Our taste buds do adapt!

Another ETA: speaking of taste buds changing, have any of you tried whole milk after being used to skim?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yes and no. I definitely healthy up my recipes. I add way more veggies, I add beans, I make cheese a supporting player instead of a main ingredient, I use less oil because I don't like things greasy. I always use whole grains. I use a lot less sugar in things, and often leave it out entirely in dinner food (sauces, dressings).

But I don't use reduced fat cheese or dressing, and I don't use sweeteners. The only low-fat (not nonfat) product I use is Greek yogurt, and I plan to switch to regular.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I like to use some lower-fat foods, like string cheese and cottage cheese and 1% milk. And most of the time, on the rare occasions when I get ice cream, it's the no sugar/lowfat version.

But for most other things, I still eat the regular versions--but in measured amounts. Eating things at will without regard to their calorie, carb, and fat content is what put the pounds on me!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am almost a maintainer. I do not consider my recipes "mock" either. I should have been making food like this all along. I try to go as healthy as I can. I focus on bulking foods with the things my body needs. I use almond milk consistently. I use non-fat cooking spray. I use small amounts of cheese. --Only the leanest cuts of meat or fish if using them at all--except for the fat in my sockeye salmon. I also am open to trying any new fruit or veggie and any new recipes that are whole foods/low calorie focused. In fact, I can think of nothing I don't like whole foods wise.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #9  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Another ETA: speaking of taste buds changing, have any of you tried whole milk after being used to skim?
Yes! We ran out of skim at work the other day so I used full fat, and it made the inside of mouth feel slimy for the rest of the day! Yuckky....
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

I use a few reduced fat items: milk, cottage cheese, salad dressing. But mostly I use less of the regular stuff, esp cheese. I do do things like a mister bottle (Pampered Chef) to spray olive oil instead of butter, whole wheat bread and pasta, brown rice, and lots of whole foods. We eat almost no processed foods, and since I don't care for them anyway, sweets are nearly non-existent in my house. My DH loves sweets and gets them when he/we are out. but when I use sweetner, usually only on oatmeal, it's sugar. I don't use any artificial sweetner.

And I agree about the whole milk - ick! I had made a dish for a party that involved half-and-half (I didn't eat it but everyone loved it.) DH used the leftover H&H on his cereal - nearly made me gag. But he needs the calories. He used it all the time when he was trying to gain weight after his cancer treatments. He still eats full fat yogurt and premium ice cream regularly.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #11  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I have altered most of my recipes, and now - they are the new "normal". I can't abide full-fat versions of things like Fettucine Alfredo.

That being said, I don't use many "substitute" foods. I prefer whole, natural ingredients. I love low-fat string cheese and Laughing Cow, but I also use full-fat cheese for many of my recipes. I just use a lot less of it. Less is more these days.

I guess I'm more into portion control of healthy, flavorful foods than reducing calories at the cost of flavor.

I really do prefer a lot of low-cal, natural foods (vegetables for instance) over high-calorie, empty calorie foods.

And, the complete irony is that I eat a lot more high-fat foods now than I did at 200+ lbs. I eat nuts and nut butters, olive oil, cheese, and avocados regularly - and they never would have touched my lips at my high weight.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never liked lowfat versions of some things like cheese but I don't think I've ever had whole milk. For things like cheese, I stopped eating them because I'd rather eat something else than eat something that was either too caloric or something I didn't like.

Now that I follow a vegan diet, the lowfat/nonfat dairy options aren't anywhere in the picture. There are a few lower calorie things I like such as low fat, unsweetened almond milk. It is really good. I never eat 'diet' products though, the things I eat are just generally considered whole foods so there is no diet or regular, it is whatever it is. For things like almond, soy and other types of milky type drinks, I always go for unsweetened over low fat. I rather they have not added sugar than to eat something with sugar and lowered fat. That being said I follow a low fat diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I also don't consider my cooking to be mock anything. Recipes that call for large quantities of butter, margarine, mayo and cheese are just not on my radar screen. I've zero interest in cooking like that anymore. I don't try to make substitutions for the ingredients, I've just given up on those recipes. Everything that I do make is made with every consideration to good health (and great taste).

For instance, I still make tacos for my family, but instead of ground beef, I use chicken breast, but I don't consider that to be mock.

I don't really use low fat cheeses when I cook. I just stay clear away from cheese period. It's no hardship though, as I was never a great cheese lover.

I do saute' veggies all the time and the amount of oil that I use is minimal. It's amazes me because in the past, well it seems like eons ago actually, I would just pour more and more oil into the pan. But I have compromised ZERO flavor.

I used to bake a lot, and that has stopped. But there are always other treats in the house - baked apples, poached pears, frozen banana slices, in season fruits. A big bowl of clementines sits on my kitchen table now and I am constantly replenishing it.

I do alter some recipes though. When I make salad dressing, I use water to stretch the dressing, there by greatly reducing the oil or mayo in it. But again, I don't consider it mock. It's just what I do.

Wow, thinking about this has made me realize just how much my cooking has changed compared to 4 years ago. I cringe at the way that I used to cook. Now when I think about the way I cook - I am so darn proud and a smile comes over me as I realize how I wonderfully I am feeding my family.

No mock anything - just the finest real, wholesome foods that I believe G-d intended for us to eat.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
When I make salad dressing, I use water to stretch the dressing, there by greatly reducing the oil or mayo in it. But again, I don't consider it mock. It's just what I do.
Robin - have you ever tried using chicken broth instead of water and cutting the salt in the dressing? It adds amazing depth of flavor. Veggie stock works if you're entertaining vegetarian guests.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Robin - have you ever tried using chicken broth instead of water and cutting the salt in the dressing? It adds amazing depth of flavor. Veggie stock works if you're entertaining vegetarian guests.
Interesting concept Amanda. My brain immediately started thinking which salads would benefit from this and a few came to mind. Thanks!

I make an enormous amount of salads and not necessarily your "typical" ones. One of my favorites right now, where I think the broth might work well is red cabbage, red onions, raisins, shredded carrots, mandarin oranges, pomegranate seeds. Dressed with either red wine vinegar, white vinegar, rice vinegar or a combination, of them, black pepper, the liquid from the mandarin oranges, a little salt, and a little splenda. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of oil. I use ZERO. And it's DELICIOUS. I can't see the oil improving it one little bit.

One dressing which I rarely pare down with the water is Cesar Salad dressing. I use about 1 heaping tablespoon of light mayo, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 crushed garlic clove, 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, juice of one lemon and water.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote