Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Of course, the biggest problem with that is that I can't BUY 2 Tbsp of heavy cream. What am I supposed to do with the rest of the carton?
Yeah, that frustrates me too. Some things you can freeze and some you can't. And I can't freeze everything, I have very limited freezer space.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #32  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Amanda, that is actually the philosophy that Cooking Light has moved toward in their recipes. More and more of their recipes now are calling for butter, cream, etc. -- but all in very small amounts, and balanced out by lots of veggies and lower-cal ingredients. Of course, the biggest problem with that is that I can't BUY 2 Tbsp of heavy cream. What am I supposed to do with the rest of the carton?
That was always my question about spices. At Thanksgiving, I needed 1/2 tsp of ground cloves. A small container of it was almost $8 at the store, and then what? I use a tiny smidgen of it and the rest gets old in the cupboard? Ahh, but I made a discovery....I was walking past the Mexican foods section and there were little hanging packets of spices. I found a packet of ground cloves for 89 cents, and there were several tablespoons of spice in it. Nice! That doesn't help you with the heavy cream, but maybe someone else will find it helpful.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #33  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy
Of course, the biggest problem with that is that I can't BUY 2 Tbsp of heavy cream. What am I supposed to do with the rest of the carton?
Golly gee, you just suck it right down, right out of the carton! What else would you do?

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 12-22-2009 at 03:15 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #34  
Working My Way Back Down

Right Jay!

I actually can buy half and half in pint sized. And I do have the advantage that DH will use the rest on his cereal. Nowadays HNH is ultra-pasturized and will keep a long time, but I'm betting you'll still end up throwing it out...

As for the spices, my grocery's health food section sells a lot of spices by the ounce. They're in big jars and you measure out what you want.

When I made a hot artichoke crab dip for our brunch on Sunday, I made it "lighter" by adding more crab (2 cans instead of 1) and used a lower fat Alouette cheese instead of mayo (I find that rf or ff mayo will separate nastily when heated). The other advantage was that the cheese had garlic and herb seasoning. Made a full quiche dish full and 12 people polished it off, served with baked pita chips.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #35  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Our natural food store sells spices by the ounce as well.
I also grow many of my own and dehydrate or freeze them.

Freezing fresh spices with water in ice cube trays works great for adding them to soups and stews. Ground spices freeze pretty well, but "leaf" spices don't unless you use the ice cube approach.

Then there is always the windowsill garden If I could just keep my cat from eating them
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #36  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
That was always my question about spices. At Thanksgiving, I needed 1/2 tsp of ground cloves. A small container of it was almost $8 at the store, and then what? I use a tiny smidgen of it and the rest gets old in the cupboard? Ahh, but I made a discovery....I was walking past the Mexican foods section and there were little hanging packets of spices. I found a packet of ground cloves for 89 cents, and there were several tablespoons of spice in it. Nice! That doesn't help you with the heavy cream, but maybe someone else will find it helpful.
Last thanksgiving I used a 3fc posted pumpkin mousse recipe and it called for ground cloves. I looked at the price in the market and left without. I went home and ground some of the whole cloves that I had and totally scratched up the inside of my mini food processor. wish I saw those little packets! Next time I'll look for them
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #37  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Just for information. You can use a pestle and mortar to grind spices. Or the end of a rolling pin on a wooden board. It's good exercise and excellent for stress-busting.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #38  

On that ground clove issue- I have found that I can find "pumpkin pie spice" on sale around the holidays. It works in most recipes calling for cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg. I add extra cinnamon which I have as a staple. The pumpkin pie mix can be added to the coffee grounds before brewing or added to tea for a nice change.

As to the mock recipe issue- there are just things that make no sense calories wise and I do not use them. It has been an evolutionary process.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
On that ground clove issue- I have found that I can find "pumpkin pie spice" on sale around the holidays. It works in most recipes calling for cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg. I add extra cinnamon which I have as a staple. The pumpkin pie mix can be added to the coffee grounds before brewing or added to tea for a nice change.
And is delicious mixed in with pumpkin and oatmeal, or sprinkled on sweet potatoes

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-29-2009 at 08:59 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote