Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default Does water fill you up enough to avoid buffet gluttony?

I'm on my way to the last couple pounds and goal. I had a detour with vacation and a huge sciatica flare up with major consequences. I'm back on track, working out like a happy fiend again, and eating on plan regularly. I seem to be dropping fast with my new workout plan. Haven't weighed in (it seems to throw me off) so I should be nearing my goal. I have a goal dress that I'll try on again soon.

So, it's time to consider heading back to our family's favorite restaurant--a Tibetan family style. They serve food most like my husband's home food (Nepali hill tribe) so it's very much a favorite. This particular place serves their buffet with many options including steamed veggies, fresh fruit slices, simple soups, vegetarian focus with tofu or beans, and a variety of meat for different kinds of folks. Each of my kids find favorites, dad gets yummy dishes with a treat of some chicken (which he usually avoids for me), and mom gets yummy vegetarian dishes.

It's so good--I've avoided the place like the plague. They always have yummy food and it's all healthy. I would waddle up with my plate five times--no sweat. So, this whole year I've avoided most of our family's favorites because I've been eating 300-350 calories meals.

I did try this restaurant with a colleague the other day. She's a thin lady and not familiar with non-American food. So, I knew she'd not be walking back and forth. I'd have to be modest. I drank a whole glass of water before heading up to the buffet table. I got all my favorites and in nicely portioned half-cup servings. I drank another huge glass of water while I was eating.

Will water effectively fill you up to help prevent a binge? I was thinking that maybe a glass of water at home before we head out, another when we arrive, and another during the meal. Will I be stuffed enough to maintain?

Is this the wrong way to "maintain"? My other tactic has been sheer avoidance. So, I'm looking for a variety of options.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Sheer avoidance works for me a lot. I have never found water to be filling enough.

Go in with some rules and get your family on board to remind you. My buffet rule is pretty simple - one plate, no refills, 1/2 the plate must be veggies.

I have to say - the food at this place sounds fabulous! Is it possible to order off a menu, get a healthy single plate option and avoid the buffet entirely?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I was also going to suggest ordering off the menu if you have that option instead of going to the buffet (which is what hubby and I did last time we went to a place that had a buffet. It was much cheaper also!

I usually just fill my plate once, take my time eating and enjoying the food, sips of water in between, and it'll take me like 20 minutes to eat one plate. Then if I want something I'll go back and get like one thing or get a small dessert or share one. That way I enjoy myself, have it planned, and don't feel guilty for enjoying the food either
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Glory87's rules. Go through once, take small to moderate portions. No desserts, mostly vegetables. It sounds like you might be vegetarian? So I assume that's not a problem.

Water can help--but basically, portion control is the key. And that's up to you. Even if you are screaming inside wanting to go back to the line for "just a little bit more of X," don't give in to that.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Water can definitely help. But it all boils down to the decisions and the choices that you make. THAT'S the key. If you DECIDE NOT to binge, then you won't.

And then of course, I agree with Glory's rules. Stick to em'. Like glue.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Well, the above advice is why I lurk and visit 3fatchicks. I basically keep getting reminded that we're making choices. Choices to be healthy, fit and sample life's joys. I'm still looking for balance. So, I keep logging and writing down when things go...um..."off plan".
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote