Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

One more crazy day, then a break tomorrow! No work or class because of Veteran's day... although I will be working anyway to catch up for missed time. Much needed!

Meg, I need to get back into my workout routine - I'm sure I'd find it refreshing as you did!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #17  
Workin' It

Good morning!

Meg - glad you got back to the gym yesterday!

Iris - the paraffin treatment was nice, I have to say. Left my hands all soft and lavender smelling, so I promptly did some weight lifting this morning.

Dagmar - Sorry your dinner plans got thrown off yesterday!

Pat - No alcohol until Thanksgiving, got it.

Amanda - I hope the massage helped your shoulder! I imagine with the damage in there it did feel odd to the therapist. Ouch.

Jessica - fancy bakery cake for DH's birthday sounds yummy!

Sheila - I love Lily Tomlin.

Yesterday stayed totally OP. Got a 6 mile run at the park, kept my food in line, got up and exercised this morning. Good start to the day. Now I get to go do another round of random drug screens at my downtown location. Why is it sunny for days in a row but every time I have to drive downtown the rain moves in?

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #18  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

DH is being such a grouch about his birthday plans! I'm laughing at him but I know he is pretty upset about turning 30. He totally refuses to tell me what kind of cake he wants. He was like, "Well, as long as I tell you a week before, you'll have time to make it, right?" Well yeah, but I want to think about it now!

Fly by for me today, we're doing interviews all day at work again. I packed my lunch so I will socialize while eating my planned food rather than the provided food (last time there were cookies that were literally as big as my head).

Dagmar and Pat, good luck with the no alcohol! My advice to help you avoid it is to pretend that you're pregnant. The only difference is that it's YOUR health you're concerned about rather than a baby's.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #19  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

A hurricane? What the heck? I've been really busy moving things to prepare for flooding. Yesterday at the office we moved things around in case of a flood, and did the same at home. With the high tide this morning I'm glad I didn't park my car at my house last night! I watched the water creep up my street... got to watch it again tonight (another high tide). I'm glad the house is up on pilings. It's very windy and rainy, too, but that's not bad compared to the flooding. I thought hurricane season was over!

I'm buckling down my eating & workouts in these last few weeks before Thanksgiving... actually it's easier in a way. I'm got play rehearsals every night right now, so I just leave the house with my gym clothes and a big bag of packed food and get home in time to re-pack and go to bed.

Alcohol also makes me eat more than I should, or things that I shouldn't. It's also one of the easier "excess calories" for me to cut out, so I usually do when I'm in "losing mode". Good luck to those who are cutting it out through Thanksgiving! Come to think of it I probably won't have a drink, either.

Iris, I'm so sorry to hear about your break-up. Even if you initiated it, being with someone for 2 years and then not, especially someone you care about, is really tough. Hang in there.

Meg, glad you had a great workout! I'm sure your pants will be lose in no time. Sorry your cat isn't doing so well.

Amanda, ouch, I hope the massage helped your shoulder un-knot a little bit.

Jessica, if you could request a salad for the lunches your office serves you, could you request one for the dinners? Does the same person (people?) do the ordering? Tell them your a vegetarian or something. A plate of cheese would be healthier than most Dave & Buster's fare.

Ward, you can do it! Your in-laws do not control what you eat!

Bill, great job with the peanuts! Social situations are something I continually struggle with, sometimes do better than others. I can control what's in my own house but not other places. I need to be like you more often!

Hi to everyone else! I need to get some work done! Does anyone else get off of work for Veterans Day tomorrow?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm certainly old enough to remember Edith Ann (thhhbbbbt).

I'm starting to wonder if I have a bit of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) or something along those lines. It gets dark here ridiculously early (total darkness by 5 PM and the sun is coming up at about 5:30 AM). So I get home around 5:30 and I can't fathom fixing or eating a salad. I want the warm comfort of a casserole and you know that means fat and calories. It's that comfort food I crave when it's dark. I try to keep the fat down but it's definitely a carb fest when I make a casserole.

Speaking of carbs, I read today in the LA Times that there was a year long study in Australia with half on a low carb-high protein diet and half on a low fat-high carb diet. Both groups lost 30 pounds (calories limited to 1400 women and 1700 men) but the group that got more carbs reported better morale. They said that low carb restricts seratonin which makes you happy. Maybe I should stop worrying about carbs so much as long as I keep my calories within reason.

Megan~I thought of you when I heard Ida was on the way there. At least she's been downgraded, but I hope you don't get flooded!

Meg~glad to hear you're feeling more human!

We still have 2 employees out sick. It seems each person who gets it (whether it be a cold or the flu) is out of work for three days. We have 4 shop guys/installers who have not gotten it and 3 of us in the office are still well. I hope I don't get it, but if I do, I hope I get it NOW instead of when my family is coming for Thanksgiving.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #21  
Workin' It

Fingers crossed that DH doesn't come down with a cold this week - he is fighting off a scratchy throat right now. Our anniversary trip is next week (Sun-Wed) - last year he was miserably sick the entire time, the year before he had a minor cold but wasn't too bad. I'm thinking it is now just part of the tradition - DH will be sick on the anniversary vacation.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #22  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Shannon - Sarah gets a cold and starts TOM every time we go anywhere or anything romantic happens. Proposal? yep. Wedding and honeymoon? Yep! Europe trip - double yep!

Day 2 as a human water retention sponge. Hopefully two days of water flooding will be enough. Shoulder is also still wicked sore, which is irritating.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #23  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Megan, glad to hear you're safe from the storms!

Allison, I totally understand not wanting to make salad when it's dark at 5:30pm. Unfortunately out here we're getting sunrise at 7:30 and sunset at 5:30. Ugh! I do have a suggestion though -- broth-based soups. They take the place of a salad pretty well and feel more comforting and warming when it's dark outside. I believe I have my minestrone soup recipe posted in the recipes sticky if you want to take a look. Most broth-based soups are low in calories and you can have a big portion. Just avoid the cream-based soups!

Shannon, my fingers are crossed!

Amanda, LOL, that is the biggest benefit of birth control IMO -- being able to plan things around your TOM. Although I admit I had TOM on my honeymoon too.

Last edited by paperclippy; 11-10-2009 at 02:58 PM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in to say hi and let you all know that I am still around even though I don't post often. It's fun keeping up with everyone. I wish Lily would check in and let us know how she's doing. I took the Halloween candy pledge and did great, except a few weeks before Halloween I bought a bag of mini Three Musketeers for my husband and ate a couple before I remembered my pledge. The last few months I have been trying to get down to 135 and plan to stay there this time. I've said this before but I'm always either in losing mode or gaining mode and need to really, finally learn how to maintain. I'm trying hard to fight the urge to go lower to see what it feels like, plus I am afraid of eating more than I do when I'm in losing mode for fear or setting off binge-y behavior, which is what seems to happen when I lose my focus on losing weight and start thinking more about food (instead of the scale, new clothes, working out, etc.).

On another note, does anyone remember a thread from the last few months that involved some really yummy low-cal recipes. I remember thinking that I would go back to it to copy them down but now I can't seem to find it. It is not the stick that has pages and pages of our favorites but was rather a discussion involving our favorites that helped us stay on track. I think there was one for low-cal pumpkin pie or custard.

My daughter is enjoying her freshman year at college and my son is living back at home after a break up with his long-term girlfriend and job lay off. Just when I thought we were going to be empty nesters... I'm glad he's here and glad we can help him, but it's not what I expected.

Thanks,
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

For you Lily Tomlin Fans or those who would like to be rent " 9 to 5" with Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda and Dolly Parton, this is a funny, funny movie. Those of you who have ever worked in an office will love it !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #26  
Working My Way Back Down

Allison, and Jessica, this is the time of year that I win the "it's too dark" contest. Here's where we are, with almost 6 weeks until we start gaining light again.

Nov 10, 2009 8:54 AM 4:32 PM 7h 38m 30s

Last edited by WaterRat; 11-10-2009 at 05:15 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Pat~you must crave sunlight!!!

Jessica~thanks for the soup idea. I do remember doing a lot of soups last year and it did help. I'll have to make a few to have on hand.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #28  
Workin' It

Soup...I have to get some good soup recipes... I also need to figure out a way to store it in my tiny fridge and freezer...
Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Shannon, I sympathize on the lack of freezer space! We have one little freezer for three of us where I'm living.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #30  

Pat - I hear you on the it's too dark issues! I'm counting..6 more weeks till the shortest day, and 6 more weeks till we get the same light level again. That;s 3 whole months of dark!

OTOH- that ALSO means that I'll have to get into gear for our national gift holiday on december 6th! AAARRGH! This can be so soon! I have not prepared anything yet!

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote