Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #46  
Mel

Shannon-Glad you are feeling a little better.
I can't eat the cottage cheese with salt. Every one of the salt free brands tastes salty to me. I eat it with everything! salsa, fat-free yougurt and fruit, nuked apples and cinnamon, oatmeal and cinnamon.... It's definitely a staple of my nutrition.

Michele- too funny about the watches! I love that brand but would go bankrupt if I started buying them They really are lovely. Do you have a maintenance anniversary coming up?

Megan- the vegies garden sounds wonderful. We had our first frost last night
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Shannon - I like cottage cheese on a toasted english muffin and topped w/ cinnamon for breakfast... mmm... but it's also very good with fruit!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #48  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I did much better dealing with the munchies yesterday and hope to continue! My knees were bothering me, though, so I stopped working out after walking 2 miles on the treadmill and doing a warm-up set of squats. I was going to do a heavy legs day but didn't want to injure my knees. I needed to go to the grocery store and to a improvisation theater workshop anyway. Had more fun at the workshop than I thought I would! We were pantomiming activities and having everyone guess what we were doing. I pulled "fishing" out of the hat and thought, how appropriate!

Cottage cheese (with or without salt) = blech! I cannot stand it, and I've tried so hard - with sweetener, pineapple, apples and cinnamon, even my mom's magical apple butter can't make it better. I used to think it was textural but it just tastes sour to me. I do bake with it in protein pancakes & muffins. I love yogurt so I'll stick with that! It's ok that there's one healthy food I don't like.

Michele, if you're willing to wait for it, the watch will be a lovely award! I just googled "Michele watches" and they are really beautiful!

Shannon, how are you feeling today?

Iris, my local health department also offers semi-low-cost exams. My friend w/o insurance went and I believe she had to pay a few hundred for an exam and a year of BC pills (had to get the pills all at once for the year, no other option for what they offered, but it was a "normal" brand and I remember thinking that was less than what I pay with insurance for a non-generic!). I'm not sure what it would have been w/o the pills, but there are low(er)-cost options out there. I didn't have insurance for 3 years so I feel your pain! It really, really stinks, and thank goodness nothing really bad happened.

I've got another day at my desk to look forward to. Tomorrow I'm going out in the field, but I'm not excited about that either b/c we'll have a film crew following us around. What? The office is getting a new building and they're shooting footage to play in the displays. I just know I'll say something totally idiotic that will loop over and over ad naseum for a decade in that display! Have a great day everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #49  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Shannon, I can only stomach cottage cheese if it's mixed with sweet fruit. I like to mix it with frozen fruit, then let it defrost, so that when I stir it up the fruit gets all smushy and mixed in. Straight up cottage cheese tastes gross to me. I also had to throw out a whole container of salt-free because it tasted really nasty.

Michele, we have done training with our dog. We hired a private trainer when we first got him, and as a matter of fact his behavior (in terms of reactions to people and other dogs) is vastly improved from when we got him. This is just the last lingering issue. Yes, he is neutered. The main problem I think is that he is a mix of multiple guard dog breeds (German Shepherd and Doberman) and is extremely protective of our house. When we are out of the house he usually lets people pet him with no problem, and if he's afraid then he barks at them but doesn't snap. This behavior only crops up when a stranger who is afraid of dogs is entering our house (once they're in the house, he's okay with them, and if he knows them, he's okay with them).

I was thinking about calling up the trainer again, but I kind of already know what she is going to say. If we get his basic obedience to be 100% reliable, then if he looks like he is going to do something bad we can put him in a down stay and he will calm down. Currently he's 100% reliable when there are no distractions, 80% reliable with medium distractions, and about 30% reliable when there are a lot of distractions. The problem with training him is that when there are a lot of distractions, he is not interested in the food rewards we use for training. Also we have to use meat to train him because he is not interested in dog treats, which makes it kind of a pain. I tried working on training with him at the dog park once (where there are so many distractions), but all the other dogs could smell that I had chicken and crowded around so that it was extremely difficult.

In other dog news, I used the water bottle to spritz him last night when he woke me up. It did get him to go back to bed faster, so I left it next to my bed so I can use it if he acts up again tonight.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #50  
Workin' It

Just spent an hour at the health department with DSS to find he couldn't get the H1N1 inhaled vaccine yet because he got a seasonal flu inhaled vaccine on 10/9. They require a 30 day wait between two live-virus vaccines. At least I got my own seasonal flu shot, my doctor was out when I went on Monday... Of course, I was starving when I got to work so felt like it made perfect sense to drink some chocolate milk...

The acid blocker seems to be working, starting to get a little icky last night as it wore off, but kicked back in pretty quickly after the next dose. No exercise again last night - DH was late at work and had to stop by WalMart on the way home, so had to give DSS his bath and time just got away from me after that. I brought my running stuff today to go to the park after work.

Jessica - glad the spray bottle helped! I have used those on my cat before with some success...

Megan - on handling the munchies and getting in some exercise yesterday! Your workshop sounds like fun.

Michele - never heard of that watch brand, but going to look it up! ETA - just looked them up, they are really pretty!

Thanks for all of the cottage cheese suggestions everyone!

to any I missed! Have a good day everyone!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 10-22-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Shannon, I'm glad the acid blocker is helping you.

Megan, thanks for the point about low cost exams. It's funny how somewhere in my mind I knew options existed but I never really thought about it! I don't know if our health dept. does them but we DO have a planned parenthood that does.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #52  
Workin' It

Iris - your avatar is making me want cupcakes today for some reason...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #53  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I really hate cottage cheese. It makes me gag. So I don't eat it.

Went to the ortho this morning. Was basically told "Cortisone and PT didn't work? They should have. Weird". Switched to a new muscle relaxant and a new anti-inflammatory, as the pain meds I was on previously I think were a big contributor to the stomach-ick and throwing up going on. Am ridiculously frustrated...just want my shoulder to stop hurting! Doc thinks MRI is just going to come back normal because shoulder function is fine...I just hurt when I do anything, but I can still DO everything.

Ugh. So busy today and hurting, and now need to find time to get new prescriptions picked up. Also need to cook dinner and bake a cake for my grandpa.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica-- it certainly sounds like you are on top of things with your doggy then. Yes, dogs do definitely smell fear. I can imagine how the dog park was when you had meat in your pocket!! My Great Dane, Jozi, is fairly submissive and when we go to the dog park, if there is a dog that is very submissive, she will try to play with it. This usually results in growling and snapping from the other dog as Jozi is 125 pounds. I think she is only brave around dogs that are less brave than she is. Dogs and their personalities are so funny. I also have a Doberman, Ozzie, and while he will bark at home, he only barks if he hears a noise. He isn't the least bit protective though strangers see him barking and back off. At the dog park, he is pretty antisocial and will run around by himself but doesn't try to play with anyone else.

I am leaving tomorrow morning to go see dd at college for parent's weekend. I'm going by myself and looking forward to it! I have a million things to do before I leave so I may not get back on this week. I have a 6 am flight so I'll be leaving my house by 4 if not earlier. That alone will be a challenge foodwise....My weight is up a couple of pounds which is making me nervous as I know I might make some off plan choices this weekend... I will do my best and deal with it next week.

Early weekend wishes to everyone! Hope it's a great one!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Dog are funny. My yellow lab prefers playing with little dogs but the dog parks here are segregated--big dogs and little dogs are separated by a chain link fence. So he stands by the fence and whines. My black lab, who is a total fetcher and loves tennis balls more than anything will completely ignore all attempts at fetch at the dog park--he'd rather play with all the other dogs and run around.

It's a quiet day here at work so I'm trying to come up with an excuse to leave at 3 PM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I was at the dog park yesterday with a friend who has two Great Danes. The 11 mo. old Great Dane puppy, who is the size of a small pony, badly wanted to play with a Chihuahua, who was behind the fence in the smaller dog area. The Chihuahua wanted to play with the Great Dane, too, but I could tell that his Mom was quite happy there was a fence between them. They did look pretty amusing chasing each other up and down the fence line.

Have fun at parent's weekend, Michele!

Mandalinn82, I'm sorry you're hurting so much. Hopefully the docs will find something they can cure or at least a change of medicine that won't leave you with an upset stomach.

So what excuse did you come up with, Alison?

Beautiful day here and I really hope this is the last time I have to mow the dang lawn. And I really wish people wouldn't let their dogs poop on my front lawn. How rude is that!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Segregated dog parks - interesting idea. We have everyone running around on the beach in my area and it's mostly big with big and small with small.

I tend to police the over excited big ones if they are roughing up a small guy. Most owners are pretty oblivious to the signals their dogs are sending out.

And dogs pooping on your lawn Sheila is too rude! I pick up all "orphan" poops I see on the street, in the park, etc. and I make sure I carry at least 3 bags per dog for all my guys.

Jessica Glad the spray bottle helped. Try another trainer if the one you had isn't helping much any more. Many trainers use many methods and sometimes it takes a while to find one that is a good fit for your dog.

I have a book to finish tonite - gotta go!

Have a great night all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #58  
Meg

TGIF! It's been an crazy, busy, stressful week at work and I'm so glad it's over. Actually, it makes today's house cleaning seem like a vacation!

We have a front desk computer at the spa that contains the lifeblood of the spa: the service providers' schedules for the next two years, wedding party info, client info, gift card info, where we check people out etc. And it crashed under a storm of virus attacks on Wednesday afternoon, so we were computerless for more than 24 hours (it was promised back to us late last night, but I don't know if that happened). Which means that yesterday, we had no idea who was scheduled for what, when. I was able to kind of reconstruct the day's schedule but as for today onward, no one has a clue, so I hope things are back to normal!

Kind of makes me long for the days of paper and pencil! And least a paper schedule can't crash and disappear.

So ... take one computer disaster and add in a client bringing in a box of chocolates for everyone ... and I succumbed. And felt horrible for the rest of the day, of course.

I figure that a good elliptical session this morning will be just the thing for destressing!

We have family visiting for the weekend, so there's a lot of cleaning and cooking to be done. What are everyone else's weekend plans?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Thumbs up Proud of myself this week

No eating in front of the TV this week. That hasn't happened in a while.

Despite having the reunion coming up (tonite actually) and DH's mini-meltdown (same as last time, time before, and before that) re where we live, he's trapped, etc. I haven't had an anxiety/bingeing episode all week.

And I've lost 3 of the "candy bloat" lbs. I put on in the previous two weeks.

Off to lift the weights!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:46 AM   #60  
Meg

Yay, Dagmar! That's real progress!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote