Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #46  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I'm late in jumping in, but count me in. In fact, I extend it to Thanksgiving to include all the dreaded sale candy that appears on everyone's desk.

(Hey, look at me--I'm posting on the Maintainer's forum and I haven't hit goal yet!) I just want to say y'all are inspiration personified.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #47  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

You guys are so funny...checking the wrappers...really sounds like something I would do...lol

What I think has been helping me to stay away from the Halloween candy this year is the fact at how long it has already been on the store shelves. I've seen it for a month already. Then, if you think about the after Halloween candy sales, it'll be even older yet. I wonder when this candy was actually made? How many preservatives are in that stuff to keep it fresh for so long??? If you buy a bag of Halloween Snickers on sale on November 1st, it's been sitting around at the store for at least 2 months. YIKES.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #48  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm extending my definition of "candy" out to chips as of this morning. Banned. Exiled. Unwelcome.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I'm (probably) in. Actually I could really go for a lone fun size butterfingers or something on Halloween night. But I don't know where I'd get just one fun size bar, because I wouldn't bother to buy a bag and we don't get trick or treaters where we live.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #50  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Hey guys, I had my first *real* confrontation with halloween candy. I just exited an office at work where I was standing OVER a desk with an orange pumpkin filled with wrapped candies. They were outright verbally offered to me and I DECLINED!!!!!!! go me
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #51  
No description available.

You're a brick wall, Kitty!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #52  
needs constant reminding

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
You're a brick wall, Kitty!
Oh yeah baby, Ima goin' for some-o-dat momentum
Old 10-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #53  
Chuggin' along...

Great job kitty!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #54  
needs constant reminding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Great job kitty!
Thanks Megan, I really feel like I could take a bow for that one. And of course, it strenghthens me against the next "kind" offer And lastly, having you all as support doesn't suck either
Old 10-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Thumbs down 3(?) months old candy - yum???

There are benefits to working outside. No desks, coffee rooms, etc. where people put treats. I do have several clients who will leave me Halloween/Easter chocolate because they have kids but it's only a few pieces.

They are genuinely being nice to me ( none of them could ever even imagine that I struggle with my weight) and I sometimes feel guilty throwing the stuff away but I know it'll trigger a binge later in the day.

Good point (whoever made it) about the staleness and preservatives in this stuff. Now I want it even less.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 165/136/134

Height: 5'3.5"

This challenge is working for me! I have no problem passing by the halloween candy just thinking about their cheap quality - I'd rather splurge on something that's worth it.

Of course, I had the opportunity when someone brought in some Trader Joe's dark chocolate covered almonds - I took a handful & ate them very slowly & it was much more satisfying then the other stuff. Thankfully candies disappear in our office really fast & the almonds were gone before I could contemplate on taking another handful.
workingmom1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #57  
Chuggin' along...

Bumping this thread up as Halloween draws nearer!

I haven't had any Halloween candy so far! I did accidentally walk down the Halloween candy aisle at CVS a few weeks ago, and once I realized it practically ran the rest of the way to the pharmacy section. I'm sure they make you walk through the whole store to get your Rx on purpose. Evil marketers.

I saw an aisle of Christmas candy in the Dollar store a few weeks ago. Already, for real??? I'll need to start that thread soon too! Yeesh, it gets earlier every year.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #58  
No description available.

At least the Christmas candy is fresh so we can eat that now, right? And then when Christmas is here, the Valentine candy will be fresh....so there ya go!

Oh, wait, that wasn't the point of the thread?

I smelled candy corn the other day. Don't know where it was but it was unmistakable. Maybe I'm having olfactory hallucinations.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #59  
needs constant reminding

Default help, help, they are *everywhere*

OK, So I have been feeling empowered by this pledge. But I am struggling right now. Not only is candy in the stores, in offices but it is now being delivered in little brown baggies to my front DOOR! MFer! ( if you have a foul mouth, you'll know what I mean.)

In my very lovely little town there is a very lovely little tradition of ghosting one another. That is when families drop off baggies of treats with a "you've been ghosted" sign on the baggie. did I say MFer !

So, I have been in a little binge zone right now, but I have NOT NOT had any halloween candy, as per my pledge. This ghosting thing is really pushing my limits!!!
This am while in a binge battle, I goshdarn (banging on the keyboard in annoyance with myself) had one of those goshdarn swedish fish right out from that goshdarn baggie. GOSHDARNIT!

AND, this am, I in weakness, bought 4, yes 4 baggies of chocolates to put into reciprocating ghost baggies (you need to do 10 minimum)for delivery tonight or tomorrow (when it stops raining.) They are in my car because I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT trust myself to be near those little devils. MFer!

Well, we did buy little doo-dahs/toys instead of candy for the real halloween night. I had more strength back then.

RE-PLEDGE, no more Halloween candy, no matter what the delivery method shall be!!! My kids and I will do our ghosting and moving those candies right on outta here.

thx for listening to my little rant.

Last edited by kittycat40; 10-15-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #60  
Chuggin' along...

Kitty, stay strong!!!

So if this "ghost-ing" is anonymous, no one will know that whatever you give is from you, or if you don't ghost anyone at all, correct? Here's what I'd recommend - either put the bags you're given in your car and IMMEDIATELY ghost them to someone else, or just throw. them. out. I know, they're still in their wrappers, you could reach for them in your trash b/c the candy would still be clean, right? So "ruin it" with some really nasty coffee grounds or decomposing veggie/meat scraps or something... Drive around the corner and dump it in a public trash can, followed by a baggie of your dog's pooh or something. It's not worth it. Why do you "have to" do a minimum of 10? It sounds like plenty of people are ghosting, so even if you don't participate, no one will know and everyone will still get plenty of candy.

Your body is not a trash can. If you're worried that having the candy around will cause you to give in at a weak moment, just get rid of it as soon as you get it!

That's my advice. But it sounds like a really tough situation and I sympathize greatly. I would be cursing too! You can do it! Stay strong!