Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: Sept. 7 - 13

Good morning from New Mexico, where I am NOT on my way to the gym (per my usual Monday morning!) I'm telling myself it's OK to take a few days off from exercise. DD has to go back to work today, even though it's Labor Day. When you're a paramedic, there aren't any holidays! So DH and I are driving to a resort outside of Santa Fe for our last few days here. Dinner tonight will be at a restaurant in Santa Fe that we've been to before and I know I can get a great fish and salad meal. And the resort has what looks to be a nice fitness center, so that's on the schedule for tomorrow morning.

We spent yesterday lamp shopping for DD's house, then looking at Open Houses. Fun, though we're certainly not in any position to retire yet. As the owner of a 57-year old house, I just drool over the kitchens, closets, and bathrooms.

We're doing a lot of walking so hopefully that's burning off most of the excessive restaurant calories.

What are everyone's Labor Day plans? How was the weekend?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #2  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning from Hilton Head! We are just waiting for my husband to get up so we can pack up and leave for home. I have had a very active little mini vacation, but I have also eaten a ton. I am ready to get home and get back into my routine.

Happy Labor Day, everyone!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #3  
Workin' It

Meg - definitely okay to take a few days off from exercise! Everyone needs a little break! Enjoy Santa Fe and the resort!

Ward - safe drive home today!

No big plans for us today, I might try to get to the park for another run, might not. DH is over his cold/flu thing I think and his back seems to feel better from his Saturday yard work, so of course I'm a little sore from my yardwork yesterday and my throat is a little sore from my allergy head.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hi Meg, WardHog and Shannon!

Sounds like Meg and WardHog have had a nice holiday!

Not too many plans here today. Dh is in Europe working for 2 weeks. My dumb dog can't sleep in and got me up early. I'm debating a nap but my tummy is hungry. Maybe breakfast, then a nap? Dd and I went and saw All About Steve yesterday-- cute movie!! We ate at a new (to us) restaurant before. Not a healthy meal so I will definitely be hitting the gym today. I'm bummed that my normal class is cancelled so I'll just be doing some sort of cardio.

Hope everyone has a great day/week!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning! My DH and DS are off 4-wheeling this morning leaving me to download more stuff into iTunes but I'm also trying to figure out some printer issues so the downloads aren't going very smoothly.

A strange thing happened to me on Saturday. Twice. I've always been a member of the clean your plate club. Even at restaurants (although I try to choose options that aren't going to be huge portions). Saturday we went to an Italian place and I ordered a chicken sandwich. It was served on foccacia with lettuce and tomato. The chicken was pounded thin and very lightly breaded before cooking (probably fried, but light). Anyway, half way through I couldn't finish. I took half home. Then at dinner, we BBQ'd steaks (5 oz filet mignon) served with steamed broccoli and cauliflower and we each had two small pieces of bruschetta with sundried tomatoes on top. I couldn't finish my steak. That is unheard of! My dogs got the benefit of my fullness.

Oh. Has anyone seen Bottleshock? We watched on HBO or Showtime Friday which then sent me to the store in search of those wines (which I found at $45 and $52 per bottle and yes, I bought them! Yikes! My usual wine price limit is $15-$20 a bottle! DH and I shared one bottle Saturday night and all I can say is YUM!)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

A few days at a resort sounds wonderfully relaxing, Meg.

Wardhog, hope you had a good time at Hilton Head.

Shannon, the sore part doesn't sound good, but glad you got a nice run in.

How early is early, Michele? Not nice on a holiday! I'm surprised that your gym is open.

It's almost 11:00 am, and I'm still in my bathrobe. Just been puttering around. We're putting together a little fountain for the patio, and I was doing the bills, etc. My DH and DD are out for a walk. I have yardwork to do so I didn't want to get too tired before I started that.

We saw Julie and Julie yesterday--great movie! We laughed so much. On Friday, my DD and I saw 500 Days of Summer, which was also good. I like that kid who used to be the kid on 3rd Rock from the Sun on TV--he'd done another little indie film that got good reviews a couple of years ago.

Went kayaking on Saturday, but the water was so low, we bumped around a lot. We had to portage over this little waterfall that we went down last time. We saw a couple of beaver this time, though, and one swam directly toward my friend's kayak. She had her smaller dog with her, and we think the beaver was curious. The dog certainly was! It's cool when the beaver dive and slap their tails.

Happy Labor Day! Hopefully nobody is laboring too hard today.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post

How early is early, Michele? Not nice on a holiday! I'm surprised that your gym is open.

Went kayaking on Saturday, but the water was so low, we bumped around a lot. We had to portage over this little waterfall that we went down last time. We saw a couple of beaver this time, though, and one swam directly toward my friend's kayak. She had her smaller dog with her, and we think the beaver was curious. The dog certainly was! It's cool when the beaver dive and slap their tails.

Happy Labor Day! Hopefully nobody is laboring too hard today.
Sheila-- I have two dogs. One will sleep. The other one wakes up and cries. I don't know when he started but I gave up and got up and fed them at 6:30.

My gym is open today so I guess I am lucky for that. It is 24hour fitness and they are open almost every day of the year. I think they are closed Christmas and Thanksgiving but that is about it. No excuses for me!

I would have loved to see the kayaking with the dogs, Sheila. Sounds so cute!!
Old 09-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Back from "d'ya want fries with that" land today. No food in the house and grocery stores are not open so we're going to a chicken place tonite. Big, big, big salad for moi.

I'm going to take the rest of the week and diet off whatever horrible amount I gained up north before getting on the scale. Lots of things planned for the Toronto part of my vacation that do not involved eating of any sort.

First thing on the list is a manicure from a shop. I can't do that during the work week 'cause the polish chips in about two seconds when I start with the dog walking. Then I'm off to the Bata Shoe Museum, which I've wanted to see since it opened years ago.

The rest of the week will be spent in a similar fashion, doing things I want to do and things I've been wanting to see in TO for years.

Have a great week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Dagmar - Ohh how fun, a staycation.

I am off to San Fran on Wednesday for 5 days.
Hmmmm - food control should be doable...but all that delicious Californian wine at such affordable prices....
This is my first mini-break in eons, so I am going to have Fun!
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sznn View Post
Dagmar - Ohh how fun, a staycation.

I am off to San Fran on Wednesday for 5 days.
Hmmmm - food control should be doable...but all that delicious Californian wine at such affordable prices....
This is my first mini-break in eons, so I am going to have Fun!
What are you planning on doing/seeing in San Fran? I live about 45 minutes away.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #11  
Workin' It

I just ate a carton of Ben & Jerry's Light Phish Food. I bought it and consumed it specifically in the hopes that it would make me less annoyed and out of sorts over my slightly off kilter weekend. On top of eating one more taco than I had in my calorie budget for today and not exercising. Didn't make me feel better. Actually, made my stomach upset and made me annoyed with the fact that I was at my lowest weight in over two months at Friday's weigh in and now I'll be close to redline with my salt and sugar binge today. When will I learn that food doesn't fix it?

DH just went to bed, back still hurting him pretty badly. I grabbed my exercise clothes and I think I'm going to exercise. I want to do some yoga, but since I ate so damn much at dinner I know that will fail miserably which will just make me more annoyed, so I'll do something else. Kickbox maybe. That usually helps with the irritated.

Thanks for reading my grumpy rant. Hope everyone else had a better day.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #12  
Mel

Quote:
I just ate a carton of Ben & Jerry's Light Phish Food. I bought it and consumed it specifically in the hopes that it would make me less annoyed and out of sorts over my slightly off kilter weekend. On top of eating one more taco than I had in my calorie budget for today and not exercising. Didn't make me feel better. Actually, made my stomach upset and made me annoyed with the fact that I was at my lowest weight in over two months at Friday's weigh in and now I'll be close to redline with my salt and sugar binge today. When will I learn that food doesn't fix it?

Ugh... Shannon

That's kind of a description of my 3 day weekend

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

sznn, San Francisco has lots of hills, serious hills, plan on walking a lot around the city and you will get a good workout in.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #14  

Shannon

Don't ask me why you did what you did because I am the queen of doing the same thing! It seems that whenever my weight is at its lowest, I eat something totally off plan! Mind games. Hope you get to kickbox and feel better!!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #15  
No description available.

Shannon, been there done that. Go kickbox something for awhile. Lots of water tomorrow.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote