3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

What does it FEEL like to be thin?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #61
Long-term maintainer
 
RedPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 147

Default

What a great thread! I particularly relate to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I used to think that how I *look* would motivate me to stay at goal. In reality, it's how good I *feel*. There isn't any food in the world worth trading this feeling for.

I truly believe that if someone who is overweight could trade bodies with me for 24 hours and experience what it feels like to be fit and healthy, nothing in the world would stop them from losing the weight. So many of us have no idea how good it's possible to feel because we've settled for mediocre and making do for too long.
I totally, totally agree with this!
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #62
Knocking down walls.
 
theox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southwestern US
Posts: 1,509

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Default

^bump
__________________

Back to Old Ticker Weight/Valentine's Day Challenge:

Upcoming events:
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas
Spring Conference
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #63
critter lover
 
JayZeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 432

S/C/G: 160+/137/130-135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

Love love love this thread.

I've never been particularly thin, but at 135 lbs I was mostly solid muscle and used to get nice comments from random people like "wow, are you an athlete?"

But more importantly, I used to wake up each morning much more eager to start my day. Being satisfied with my body gives me freedom to not think about it at all. That's what I miss, that happy freedom.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #64
This time, it's forever..
 
melodymist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 631

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Default

What does it feel like to be thin?

I feel broke!! Hahaha..since I've been spending my ALL my money on new clothes. I think for once in my life, I'm a shopaholic!
__________________


"My body is God's temple. I will be a good steward of what He gave me. "


Gained 30 pounds in 2013. Time to lose it again for 2014!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #65
Long-term maintainer
 
RedPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 147

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodymist View Post
What does it feel like to be thin?

I feel broke!! Hahaha..since I've been spending my ALL my money on new clothes. I think for once in my life, I'm a shopaholic!
I used to be a real clothes horse when I was fat. I was so excited to find anything nice in my size, I felt I had to buy it. All the fancy clothes, expensive shoes and meticulous grooming masked a real lack of confidence. Now that I can walk into virtually any store and find lots of things that will fit me and look great, I don't really care about clothes any more.

But I'm still broke, because now I spend all my money on fitness gear, gym memberships, workout DVDs, kettlebells and other assorted fitness toys...

__________________
Maintaining a 90-pound weight loss since 2003.
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #66
This time, it's forever..
 
melodymist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 631

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post

But I'm still broke, because now I spend all my money on fitness gear, gym memberships, workout DVDs, kettlebells and other assorted fitness toys...

Same here, I constantly find myself lurking in the fitness section of shops.
__________________


"My body is God's temple. I will be a good steward of what He gave me. "


Gained 30 pounds in 2013. Time to lose it again for 2014!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:32 AM   #67
Long-term maintainer
 
RedPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 147

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodymist View Post
Same here, I constantly find myself lurking in the fitness section of shops.
Heh.
__________________
Maintaining a 90-pound weight loss since 2003.
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #68
I am in control.
 
Emme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,841

S/C/G: 207.6/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Default

I just stumbled upon this thread, and wow is it inspirational!! It's such a feel-good read.

What does it feel like to be thin...well, I don't feel "thin" in the least bit probably because I'm 5'9 and always felt like a "big girl" regardless of my size, but I do know that I feel healthy and slender.

My DH and I were at a party last week and someone I haven't seen in a year came up to me, gave me a hug and said, "You are sooo tiny!!" That completely blew me away because the person who said it is 5'3 and super tiny, so for her to say that her 5'9 behemoth friend was tiny was really a big deal for me, lol!

Here are some things I have noticed about being "thinner":

** I no longer sweat for no reason (and wonder why the **** I am sweating). I remember being at my aunt's wedding 6 years ago in May and I was sweating profusely...and I wasn't even moving. I was so freaked out and I didn't know what the heck was going on. Now that I look back, I realize that I was sweating because I was fat and I didn't even know it.

**I don't have to take off my winter coat when I am running errands because it doesn't make me profusely hot. The winter coat came off immediately after stepping into a store when I was overweight.

**I can now run. And I like it. And I feel like my body can do anything I ask of it.

**I am no longer nervous to eat a lot of food in front of people. At the party I was at last weekend I ate two plates and was the first person to grab a piece of pumpkin pie. And I didn't feel badly about it at all

**Clothes shopping is awesome. I am no longer limited to overly-big-patterned moo-moo shirts that I can't stand but have to wear because that's all there is. I love grabbing a medium and doing a double-take when I see the tag. XXL used to be my homey.

**Most of all, I just love the confidence that comes from being thinner and feeling healthy. It's not a cockiness, but more of a "whew, I feel good, and I am proud of myself, so I am going to hold my head high." I am nicer to myself which in turn makes me nicer to others.
__________________
Original Goal Story and Pictures from 2011 here

Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining your weight is hard. Pick your hard.

Back at it after having Baby Girl!

Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 AM   #69
This time, it's forever..
 
melodymist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 631

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post

**I am no longer nervous to eat a lot of food in front of people. At the party I was at last weekend I ate two plates and was the first person to grab a piece of pumpkin pie. And I didn't feel badly about it at all

**Clothes shopping is awesome. I am no longer limited to overly-big-patterned moo-moo shirts that I can't stand but have to wear because that's all there is. I love grabbing a medium and doing a double-take when I see the tag. XXL used to be my homey.

**Most of all, I just love the confidence that comes from being thinner and feeling healthy. It's not a cockiness, but more of a "whew, I feel good, and I am proud of myself, so I am going to hold my head high." I am nicer to myself which in turn makes me nicer to others.
I love those reasons of you!!!
__________________


"My body is God's temple. I will be a good steward of what He gave me. "


Gained 30 pounds in 2013. Time to lose it again for 2014!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #70
June
 
runningfromfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brasil
Posts: 2,620

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default

What a great thread! I loved reading some of the responses.

I'm not what I'd consider thin but I'm certainly a lot thinner than where I started. Things I've noticed (and many of which I've already posted about here ) are:

- so many bones! I keep poking myself and I just feel angular

- Airplane seats are comfortable, who would have thought!?!

- Clothes still don't always fit the way I want still but I can find cheaper, normal-sized clothes and get them altered so that they DO fit.

- My body isn't perfect. I have stretch marks and loose skin BUT I look way better in clothes and don't feel as limited. It's like I've removed the heaviest jacket in the world.

- I look in mirrors way too often.

- SO MUCH MORE CONFIDENCE

- I've started wearing make-up again and dressing up more

- I don't feel embarrassed anymore at the pool when I take my cover-up off and am wearing my bikini underneath.

- I get treated better (I have to say while it's nice to get treated better it makes me really sad that that means I was treated worse/ignored more in stores etc when I was heavier and that others have to deal with that. People shouldn't be treated differently according to their appearance ).
__________________

Starting Measurements (B/W/H): about 51/40/46, 240 lbs Goal Reached Pre-Pregnancy: 39/29.5/38, 156lbs Current: about 43/34/42
Mini-Goals
Started at 240
Onederland 199 (Jan 6, 2010, exactly 2 years after my previous due date!)
Overweight BMI 185 (Aug 3, 2011, one year after joining 3FC!)
Pre-pregnancy weight 175 (Oct 18, 2011)
Called Goal 156

My Bras, Fashion, and Weight Loss Blog
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #71
Age 53
 
caryesings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC now/MI for first 42 years
Posts: 1,652

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default

Not thin, but love being at a weight where I don't have to think about "being fat" haunting my thoughts. So many years my first thought on waking was taking an inventory of my fatness so I'd know what to wear.
__________________
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #72
Long-term maintainer
 
RedPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 147

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
Not thin, but love being at a weight where I don't have to think about "being fat" haunting my thoughts. So many years my first thought on waking was taking an inventory of my fatness so I'd know what to wear.
Ouch! I used to do that too - I'd almost forgotten about it.

__________________
Maintaining a 90-pound weight loss since 2003.
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
wickedlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 179

S/C/G: 190/130/125

Height: 5'3"

Default

This thread should be stickied. So motivating and inspirational!!

I just started school in the fall to become an X-ray technologist. This is the first group of people I've gotten to know that didn't know the bigger version of me. Knowing how to handle all different body shapes and sizes is obviously a big part of the job, and every time I am used as an example in class, it is because I am so SMALL. It makes me smile every single time!!

And another thing about this job.. it is very physically demanding. I don't think I could have done it 55 lbs heavier. In fact, my new career choice has been and continues to be a motivator to lose weight. It feels really good to have the energy to give my patients the care they deserve.

Last edited by wickedlady : 12-03-2011 at 12:29 PM.
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #74
Every pound is a victory
 
rainydays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Midwest, US
Posts: 1,477

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedlady View Post
This thread should be stickied. So motivating and inspirational!!

I just started school in the fall to become an X-ray technologist. This is the first group of people I've gotten to know that didn't know the bigger version of me. Knowing how to handle all different body shapes and sizes is obviously a big part of the job, and every time I am used as an example in class, it is because I am so SMALL. It makes me smile every single time!!

And another thing about this job.. it is very physically demanding. I don't think I could have done it 55 lbs heavier. In fact, my new career choice has been and continues to be a motivator to lose weight. It feels really good to have the energy to give my patients the care they deserve.
That's fantastic! I'm going to school to be a COTA, and there are a lot of physical demands as well. It absolutely motivates me to keep losing!
__________________
New goal: Be a healthy-eating, trim and FIT beast at the gym! 140ish pounds, but the focus is on looking and feeling good--HEALTH!!!

Walk To Mordor by September 2013! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chic...lk-mordor.html Miles Traveled: 45/1779
Before/After Picture Thread!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini...bs-go-pic.html
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #75
Phil1:6
 
DaughteroftheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 255

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Default

Love this thread! I hope we get more responses for those who have conquered this aspect of their life, motivates me every time I read here
__________________


Mini Goal 1 (Down 10, my somewhat "normal" weight lately)- 210lbs:
Mini Goal 2 (ONEDERLAND)-
199lbs:
Mini Goal 3 (ALMOST There!!) - 185lbs:
Final Goal!! 170lbs:
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2