Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #16  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Oh and about the hipbones, I've bruised mine many times walking into the counters. My butt hurts from many chairs because there's just not enough padding. It's okay, I'll take it!!!
I'd rather have the bruised butt from not enough padding on the chair than the bruises from the fat overhang bruising from chair arms when trying to squeeze in there! Don't miss that at all.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #17  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

This is such a great thread. I have never been a normal weight either. I don't know what it feels like. I have no frame of reference. I was thinking about that today. I wonder what it would be like? Right now my goal is to be a size 16. Sad, but true. I can't fathom being any smaller. I love reading how great your experiences are being fit and slim. I can hardly wait to experience the wonderfulness of it!
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #18  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I hear someone say, "look at you, you are so thin!".

I actually turn around to see who they are talking to. It must be someone behind me, because I do not consider myself thin at all. But, alas, they really are talking to me. Being petite has its advantages.

Like others above, I consider myself fit and healthy. Thin was never my goal.

How does it feel? Meg and Robin nailed it.

I remember my first 10 mile hike. I actually floated along the trails. I had tears in my eyes as I climbed the hills without stopping to "pretend" to admire the scenery when I was really trying to get my breath and keep from passing out. It was a very emotional experience for me. Something I wouldn't trade for ANYTHING!

I feel giddy when I go shopping, I can buy all the REALLY good bargains that don't fit other people. I can try on 10 things and choose the one I like the BEST (and I like all of them) instead of buying the one thing I don't HATE.

I feel ecstatic when my husband wraps his arms around me and the bends down and picks me up and carries me.

I feel grateful and blessed every time I pass by a mirror - it still amazes me when I see the person staring back. Is that really me?

I feel happy when I walk into a room and know that I look and feel my best. I'm not looking around to see if I'm the biggest person in the room, I'm working the room and enjoying being social and carefree and having fun with everyone there.

I feel relieved when I walk into a restaurant and the waitress sits us in that little odd-shaped booth in the corner - where the table is oh-so-close to the seat - and I slide in easily, with almost too much room to spare.

I feel cocky when I walk down the aisle on an airplane an I see the smile of my seatmate - that a "little" person will be next to them. UNLIKE the look of horror I am used to experiencing.

I feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I go places with my children. I can participate fully in the experience. Instead of sitting and watching, or waiting at the top/bottom, or taking pictures of everyone else having fun.

I feel like a purring kitten when I eat one piece of dark chocolate - slowly. Savoring the experience. And I really do not want any more.

I feel like crying, I'm so overcome with emotion when I realize that the best years are yet to be, that I can/will enjoy them to the fullest - spending quality time with those I love.

As Meg said so well, I may look different, and that is great. But how I feel is the real pot of gold at the end of this weight-loss rainbow

Last edited by CountingDown; 08-23-2009 at 08:34 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
I'd rather have the bruised butt from not enough padding on the chair than the bruises from the fat overhang bruising from chair arms when trying to squeeze in there! Don't miss that at all.
Lori, I meant there wasn't enough padding ON ME. But I guess it could have been the chair as well. And yes, how I used to despise hanging over those chairs and stuffing myself into an arm chair. Just the worst feeling.

Counting Down again we are in sync. Everything you wrote I agree with 100% and have experienced.

DH and I went away with some friends last weekend. Time after time I was mentioned as being the "small one" of the bunch. When pressed for space, it was, "let Robin sit there, since she's the smallest." I was buying sunglasses, I asked for opinions, one of the ladies said, "yeah take those, they don't overwhelm your tiny face." And I am taken aback. Are they really talking about me? ME???? I get all choked up, but have to hold it in. They can't possibly realize what they just said to me and how much it means.

During that weekend, I finally let my DH pick me up. He's been dying to. He just swooped me up. And I cried.

Shopping, ooh that's just beyond belief. It's really hard to choose now when, like CountingDown said, every single outfit looks - fantastic. I no longer have to settle for the one that looks the LEAST awful. Could be why I've amassed such a huge collection of clothing.

Quote:

I feel happy when I walk into a room and know that I look and feel my best. I'm not looking around to see if I'm the biggest person in the room, I'm working the room and enjoying being social and carefree and having fun with everyone there.

I feel relieved when I walk into a restaurant and the waitress sits us in that little odd-shaped booth in the corner - where the table is oh-so-close to the seat - and I slide in easily, with almost too much room to spare.
I too have such confidence walking into a room. I know I look fantastic, because I FEEL fantastic. I am no longer feel intimidated and awkward. The funny thing is, there could be stunningly beautiful, young women there and even THEY don't intimidate me, because I know for sure that I am the best ME that I can be. I don't shy away from them, I am as friendly and open to them as humanly possible.

I can't tell you what it feels like to be able to slide into that booth. I used to have to cram myself in there and being so short, my chest would literally lay on top of the table. And I took up so much width on the bench. So embarrassing. I was so self conscious

I've been maintaining for 2 years now and it's just as enjoyable and hard to believe as it was when I first lost the weight. I feel as if I've been given a second chance at life. And yes, it feels better then any of "that food" ever tasted.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/148?

Height: 5'3"

This is a wonderful thread, thanks to all you "losers" for contributing!

I am also one who has never been "thin". I was a normal sized child until puberty hit and I went from chubby to thick to obese. It is so hard to imagine what life would be like at a normal weight.

It is like trying to imagine myself with three heads.

Thanks again for sharing these wonderfully motivating points of view.
roundpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
During that weekend, I finally let my DH pick me up. He's been dying to. He just swooped me up. And I cried.
That is so beautiful. I cannot even imagine my fiance swooping me up.

I know he is always figuring out if he can do it, I can see his mind working. Sometimes if we're in a swimming pool, he'll hold me in his arms and try and see how far he can heft me up above the water. I know he's thinking about whether he could lift me on dry land. I think he's worried how he would get me out of the house if there was a fire or something and I was hurt and he had to move me. He never says anything, thank goodness.

This is all really hurtful to think about. I try to bury this hurt and think positively, but I do feel sad sometimes. You and the other maintainers are an inspiration. I want to be where you are ... I WILL be where you are! (power of positive thinking ... and doing)
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #22  
Lova Lova

S/C/G: 180/173/150

Height: 5' 10

Another thing I can add-not seeing a belly when I look down.
I've never been so aware of my stomach until now, in a bad way! Before I could wear anything I wanted and not worry about flub sticking out.
That's part of it, wearing anything and looking truly great. Not "hmm, from this angle" great, but really great.
qqforweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:52 PM   #23  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
<sniff> Now, I'm crying too. I know exactly how you felt!
and

I'm betting it won't be the last time
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #24  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I wonder this too. I haven't been normal weight since my early teens and even then I was chubbyish. I did manage to lose down to 186 last summer, but that still qualified me as Obese by BMI.

Although to be honest after living most of my life over 250 for the last 15 years... being near 200 feels down right normal... and fabulous... I can't wait to see what "normal" feels like.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:37 AM   #25  

Height: 5'11"

I was slim till I had kids (they are now 22 and 23). So...basically I've been overweight for half my life and I don't really remember how it feels to be slim. I've lost 40 pounds and honestly probably have another 40 to go if I want to get to that "pre-baby" weight and I had pretty much written off that possiblity because it just sounds so.....impossible, I guess. I was hoping for 180 just because I though that would be a weight I could live with and maybe it will be, I don't know. But the chicks here who have lost large amounts of weight have made me believe that yeah, maybe 155 or 160 IS possible again.

I have no idea how I will feel when I get there. I'm already feeling pretty sassy now; in fact, I got rid of a box of clothes out of the closet and came across a pair of unfamiliar jeans. Turns out it's a pair that my son wore in high school. So I tried them on. Mommy likes her new jeans!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:54 AM   #26  
Inspired

S/C/G: 275 / 208 / 135

Height: 5'5"

I've never been thin either, I'm sure it feels great!
Minya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #27  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I've never really considered myself to be thin but I guess we have a warped way of seeing ourselves.

I can no longer sit on the bleachers at my sons baseball games for more than a few minutes because my butt hurts from lack of padding.

Shopping is an experience. Where I used to look for the biggest shirt (XL) to hide myself in, now I grab the size small and am always flabbergasted that it fits. I can't shop in the misses section at Walmart for jeans anymore. The lowest size is a 4 and they are cut too big.

I can actually count my ribs all the way down my back, I can see all the bones in my hands, legs and arms. My belt actually sits on my hipbone and not on a shelf of blubber.

People actually makes comments that maybe I should consider gaining weight, LOL
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #28  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I don't think of myself as "thin", I think of myself as "normal" and sometimes I still feel amazon-y but that's because of my height, I think. I always wanted to be a tiny, petite little-thing, but that's not meant to be.

But I *loooooooooove* the new-found physical abilities. Love, love, love participating in sports and races and rides and all that good stuff. It feel *wonderful* to move my body whereas before it felt like a huge, horrible burden.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #29  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
But I *loooooooooove* the new-found physical abilities. Love, love, love participating in sports and races and rides and all that good stuff. It feel *wonderful* to move my body whereas before it felt like a huge, horrible burden.
And you do all of these so fabulously!!! You are my running hero!!

Robin, that is awesome about your experience with your DH. Love it!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #30  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Physically, being thin feels like I always imagined it to be, I feel light, energetic, vibrant, truly alive. Psychologically, though, my brain still has a lot of catching up to do. Truthfully, even now, as a race-running, bodybuilding, size 4 wearing athlete, I still don't "feel" much different than I did at 290 pounds. Or at least I don't yet "see" myself the way I really am. I still get startled when I encounter new photos of myself, and sometimes I don't recognize my own face right away. There are lingering habits that have proven really hard to extinguish... unless I consciously inhibit it, I still turn sideways when I walk through turnstiles. And every once in a while I have brief moments of panic when restaurant hosts leads me to booths that doesn't look like like they have much space between the table and the back cushion.

I think it's just going to take a lot of time for my self-perception to adjust. I've been overweight since very early childhood and I've never known until now what it's like to be "normal." Perhaps if I had gained the excess weight during adulthood I would be better adjusted by now, but I was fat all throughout my developmental years and my attention was routinely brought to my body, my weight, my size... the things that made me abnormal. So I figure it's just going to take a lot of time for my brain to recognize and accept such profound changes.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote