Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #16  
Workin' It

I bet that they would get all the participation they needed from here if they threw in the airfare to Toronto! Oh well!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Wow, Jessica, I did not know 145 pounds was technically one pound overweight for 5'4". It seems like a healthy weight to me and you look awesome.

Shannon - so, so true. Look how eager we all were until we realized you had to go to Toronto to participate
I would GLADLY participate in such a study here, even if I wasn't being compensated. If there is anything I can do to reduce the obesity epidemic and find any additional causes regarding why it's so prevelant in our society right now, I'm down.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #18  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Ditto! If they paid for the trip I'd be very interested - we could all go at the same time and have a maintainers reunion (or meet & greet) trip! Darn.
Now you're talking!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #19  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Shane, my ticker is slightly a lie, I've been 146lbs the past couple weeks. But yeah, 145 is the maximum weight that is a "healthy" BMI for someone who is 5'4".
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #20  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Ditto! If they paid for the trip I'd be very interested - we could all go at the same time and have a maintainers reunion (or meet & greet) trip! Darn.
I just wanted to clarify that I'm not totally mercenary. Of course if I could participate in the study from home I would do it, just don't have the financial means to travel so far on my own for the study.

I emailed the study anyway, just to tell them that we're here if they're doing any studies now or in the future that we could participate in from our widely scattered homes. We're here and want to help others!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #21  
Meg

Great idea, Megan! We'd be a gold mine for researchers looking to study maintenance. Just think of how many of our members have signed up for the NWCR!

Wouldn't a Maintainers get-together be awesome? Think of all the pounds lost together in one room!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #22  
slow and steady

Meg, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Maintainers Cruise!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I emailed the study anyway, just to tell them that we're here if they're doing any studies now or in the future that we could participate in from our widely scattered homes. We're here and want to help others!
What a great idea. Glad you did that. I think sometimes studies are set up with mail-outs kits, letting you get your blood drawn locally.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #24  
Mel

Humph. I'm too old, but I'd gladly go back to Toronto even own my own nickel.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #25  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Meg, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Maintainers Cruise!!!
Oh gosh. Anything, but please, not a cruise. With all that food, I'd be a maintainer no more.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #26  
Meg

No worries, Robin. I lost a pound and a half on the cruise I went on a couple of years ago. So long as you stay in the "I'm a maintainer" mindset, you'd do just fine. Seriously, there's temptation everywhere we go. So long as we don't get in the mindset of a cruise being a reason to overeat, it's just another time we use our "eating out" strategies. And I know you're good at that!!

So ... where are we cruising to?
Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Thumbs up Maintainers Cruise - yeah!

Meg We're all cruising up the west coast of US/Canada to go visit Pat in Alaska .

Seriously though I thought I was in as soon as I read Meg's post. I live in Toronto, might qualify with the amount of weight I've lost (over and over and over again), and York U, although in the sticks, is doable with a car.

Then I looked at the age limit - I'm too old! Whew, that was an eye-opener. I used to participate in a bunch of focus groups ($50-100 cash for 3 hours) when I was younger and broker . Hard to imagine they don't want me for stuff any more, particularly since the boomers are still such a market force.

I'll probably be too young (!) for the studies with them in mind .

Have a great weekend all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #28  
Meg

Great idea to drop in on Pat!! And I've always wanted to go to Alaska. Hey Pat, got room for a few dozen of your good buddies from 3FC??
Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #29  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
No worries, Robin. I lost a pound and a half on the cruise I went on a couple of years ago. So long as you stay in the "I'm a maintainer" mindset, you'd do just fine. Seriously, there's temptation everywhere we go. So long as we don't get in the mindset of a cruise being a reason to overeat, it's just another time we use our "eating out" strategies. And I know you're good at that!!

So ... where are we cruising to?
Meg darling, when will you realize you are really unique among us? To lose 1 1/2 lbs while on a cruise must be some sort of World's Record.

Wait, were you sea sick the whole time?

But seriously, vacations don't scare me any longer. I didn't lose all this weight to sit home in my "safe" haven. The whole entire world had to BECOME my "safe" haven. Or make that I had to learn how to navigate in the not so safe haven that is - life. But no one, no one knows that better then you.

Oh and cruises really do make me sea sick. A land trip perhaps? A spa?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #30  
slow and steady

My cruise idea was that we would take over an entire ship (maybe a teeny one and maybe with the rest of 3fc) and tell them to only serve healthy food. Don't they have weight loss cruises? I think I've heard about them.

Hey, if we cruised to Alaska I bet we could get lots of fresh salmon! Or we could cruise in the Caribbean and get lots of exercise snorkelling...

Actually another thing we could do would be to have a maintainers retreat. Go to one of these spa resort places where we could eat healthy, go hiking, and take yoga classes. Wouldn't that be awesome?