Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Refuse to Regain blog - is weight maintenance possible?

http://refusetoregain.com/my_weblog/...-possible.html

YES YES YES!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You know, I think maintenance used to be a lot harder. I think it's a shame that people eat things that make them hungrier, both physically and psychologically, and are less filling, and then blame their lack of willpower for not living with such restriction.

But we know so much more now about how to eat even healthier, and how to decrease cravings and appetite, and be so much more satisfied. There's a lot more emphasis now on what we eat instead of just how much.

Plus, we know so much more now about how much people differ from each other, and that different people need different things. I think there's less pressure to do things one right way.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #3  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Possible? Well, I've been maintaining for about five years now, so I'd go with yes. Don't eat more calories than you burn, and you won't regain. Scientifically it is that simple. However we are living in a culture (I refer primarily to UK/US here) that makes maintenance of a healthy weight and lifestyle a constant effort and decision. One you prioritise every single day, I'm afraid. Someone wise once said (of the UK) 'You cannot be healthy by accident here'. So true.
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Yes it's possible! We maintainers know that. But isn't it sad that the general view says that you can't? Maybe it's because most people still see weight loss as a process where you go "on a diet", then go "off the diet". They go back to old habits, and of course, regain the weight. That's certainly what happened to Kirstie -- she started eating everything and not working out. She ignored the scale for months. Of COURSE she regained everything and more. It's a sad tale, but all too common.

Successful maintenance requires a permanent lifestyle change and ongoing self monitoring. I believe it IS just as simple as calories in vs. calories out. If you monitor both and keep in balance, you maintain. If it slips out of balance, successful maintainers make adjustments and self-correct before it gets too far out of hand. It's about being aware, planning, and making good choices every day.

If we could market this as a pill, we'd all be kabillionnaires.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #5  
No description available.

Of course it is possible. The writer of the question stated that "somehow" she "found" herself back at the weight where she started. The "somehow found" piece is huge.

I think I will always have to pay attention to my food, exercise and weight. I did regain twice and I "somehow found myself" back at my high weight too. I am maintaining 50 pounds lost since August, and my behaviors have kept it off.

Consistent mindfulness is the key for me. And I think for most of the other maintainers on here.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #6  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Quote:
The writer of the question stated that "somehow" she "found" herself back at the weight where she started.
Quite. This annoyed me because it devalues the efforts of those of us who maintain through consistent effort and is disempowering to people trying to lose weight.
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #7  

I would urge those who've achieved goal weight to never get complacent. I maintained a loss of 130 pounds (WW - no surgery - simply diet and exercise) happily for over 5 years but regained 30 after some life changes. I am not saying that perfect, perpetual maintanence isn't possible - but if you were once obese, the monster is always lurking. There is no way to eliminate it completely, at least in my experience. I am on the way back down, grateful that I did only moderate damage, but humbled.

Diamonda
Diamonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonda View Post
I would urge those who've achieved goal weight to never get complacent.

Diamonda
So glad that you've caught the lapse BEFORE it turned into a total CO-llapse. I believe that is a BIG factor too in maintaining. Always catching "it".

I agree that that monster is always lurking. Though it does get tamer as the years go on, but definitely not totally away. And those good habits that are in place to keep us in check become more and more ingrained in us and automatic.

I think that's what you will find the difference amongst the maintainier's here - NON-complacency. Awareness. KNOWING that we will always have to be careful and mindful - which is exactly why we're here!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: maintaining 40 pound drop

Height: 5/8

I'm very new to maintenance, well compared to some of you. My first goal is make to 5 years without falling off the wagon. So I hope it does get easier as time goes on.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote