Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

There are so many schools of thought in hard boiling eggs.

I bring mine to a boil, turn it off and let it sit for at least half an hour (but often times I forget for a long time!).

My MIL boils hers for 30 minutes.

Go figure.

I do know that rolling the egg on a towel for a bit will help with peeling it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #32  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I have a Panasonic water pot that heats water for tea, coffee, soup, etc. It brings the water up to a boil and then holds it at 208. Would that water be hot enough to boil an egg in? I doubt the pot was ever intended to be used that way, but now I'm curious...
I'm sure that would work Shannon. It goes right along with putting them in boiling water and then turning it off.

Quote:
If I boil them, refrigerate them straight away and peel them when I get to work will there be any smell in the kitchen or the fridge
There shouldn't be any smell in that situation. I always leave the shell on mine until I'm going to eat them. The girls at work do notice the smell when I eat them, however. OUr "kitchen" is just an alcove off the large room where 4 of the 6 of the FT staff works (I have an office, as does one other person. They're off the other side of the large room).

Quote:
I do know that rolling the egg on a towel for a bit will help with peeling it.
Yes I do this too, though often on a paper towel and then I peel it onto the paper towel and throw the whole thing away with no mess.

And yes, Robin, we are all just too cute!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #33  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

hummus, greek yogurt

cucumber peeled and sliced with 2 TBSP of sour cream.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #34  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I bought 10 hard boiled and peeled eggs at trader joe's last week. It felt like a major indulgence...is it really that much work?? lazy woman (self talk..)... anyway they were 3.49 and I decided Yes, I Will buy these eggs.

Then I brought them home and made 7 of them into egg salad for kid lunch egg salad sandwiches. (BTW, I thought I was buying them for me!) The other three were just deelish
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #35  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Pat wrote:
Quote:
After you drain the water, run the eggs under cold water so they stop cooking.
That stops the blue/black line developing between the white and the yolk.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Does any one subscribe to the hungry girl daily e-mail? I love it and get a lot of great tips and recipes from it. I just tried these tonight and they are really good for 125 calories snack. Ok...I admit it...I had 2 for 250 calories!! Give them a whirl!
click on the link below
http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chew....php?isid=1664

Last edited by azmom; 02-18-2009 at 08:56 PM.
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #37  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
That stops the blue/black line developing between the white and the yolk.
Indeed it does. Hi Silver!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:58 AM   #38  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Half a banana, sliced in half, with a little almond butter is a favorite snack of mine. If it's late afternoon and I need a little more energy, I add on a couple of raisins. Yum!

Last edited by nineteen; 02-21-2009 at 01:59 AM.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #39  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Soft boiled eggs - boil for 3 minutes. (I never make these but that's what I remember from being a kid.)

Hard boiled eggs - boil for 10 minutes. Then I plunge them in iced water before eating or refrigerating them. I also put white vinegar and salt into the water.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #40  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

My current favorite morning snack is:

1/2 can of refried black beans with roasted red peppers (120 calories) with 1T of salsa mixed in (10 calories). Warm in microwave and use as a dip for baby carrots (6 oz. = 70 calories). A 200 calorie snack that is quite filling and sticks around for awhile.

In the afternoon it's usually veggies dipped in hummus.

Sometimes I'll eat an apple with a cheese stick instead.
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #41  
*~Beautiful Hope~*

S/C/G: HW: ~200 SW: 170's/150's/115

There are some really great ideas here. I will have to use some of them sometime.

As for me, I love plain, unsweetened apple sauce with frozen berries, specifically the frozen 3-berry blend that Costco sells--marionberries, raspberries & blueberries. 100 calories for a cup of applesauce plus 70 calories for a cup of berries, although you can vary the amounts. I had this today in fact, and it is very filling and also very yummy. I didn't even bother to defrost the berries, as I ate this for a snack after jogging with my puppy and felt like a cool treat since it is pretty warm today here in the suburbs of Phoenix. It's 80 degrees at the moment with a high of 84.

Applesauce is also good mixed with a little bit of plain yogurt.

I also like the mango/papaya/pineapple blend that Costco sells in their frozen section, but not with applesauce! I like to eat the frozen mango cubes on their own, especially in the summer when temps are regularly over 100. Soooo good!
EsperanzaBella82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the tip. I saw these at Trader Joe's and thought about getting them but wasn't sure about the quality. Now, I think I will try them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
I bought 10 hard boiled and peeled eggs at trader joe's last week. It felt like a major indulgence...is it really that much work?? lazy woman (self talk..)... anyway they were 3.49 and I decided Yes, I Will buy these eggs.

Then I brought them home and made 7 of them into egg salad for kid lunch egg salad sandwiches. (BTW, I thought I was buying them for me!) The other three were just deelish
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I like sourdough wasa for snacks. Either with half a slice of cheese melted on it or with cream cheese and jalapeno jelly. Yum!

I also agree with the hot tea. Especially with one piece of dark chocolate. Satisfies me when I'm not really hungry.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Why is that the grocery store doesn't sell hard-boiled eggs? I know it speaks to how truly lazy I am, but I would totally buy them if they sold them.[/QUOTE]

The Whole Foods by me sells a big bag of peeled hard boiled eggs. YUM!
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #45  

Sounds to me like you could benefit from more protein to keep you full longer- your snacks are all carbs. What about low-fat string cheese and some almonds for a snack? Maybe add one fruit to that instead of 2?
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote