Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: July 28 - August 3

Goooood morning! I'm on my second mug of coffee, hoping to get my brain defuzzed enough to hit the gym in a few minutes. I think I'm back to normal after banking the unit of blood on Friday and then being wiped out in the gym on Saturday. Midwife's explanation about the loss of blood volume made perfect sense -- thanks!

I'm reading a book about maintenance called Joining The Thin Club, by Judith Lederman that someone posted about a few weeks ago (thanks for the tip! ) On the plus side, it discusses most of the issues that we talk about here in Maintainers, from clothes shopping to body image to fear of regain. Over and over again I was struck by how alike we all are in reacting to weight loss!

But the author's overall attitude rubs me the wrong way a bit, as does her repeated reference to "The Thin Club". First of all, I dislike the word "thin" (almost as much as "skinny") and much prefer "fit" or "healthy". Not everyone who loses weight is "thin" -- I'm certainly not! And she comes across as believing that weight loss somehow makes one a morally superior person and therefore permitted to be in her special "club". It's funny but I don't feel that confident about maintenance and certainly don't consider myself to be superior to others who struggle. It seems to me that we're all in the trenches together, fighting the same fight, whether we're losing or maintaining a loss. Not in a special, elite "club". But hey, I resent first class lavatories on airplanes too!

But I don't want to nitpick because heaven knows there are few books about maintenance out there! And I may feel differently about the book when I finish it. If you've read it, what do you think?

So how is everyone doing this week? Lisa is due any day now and about to join Anne in the wonderful world of babies. We leave on vacation this Saturday with all its food challenges -- anyone else going away soon? What's going on in your world?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

HI Meg, I'm sitting here with my second cup of coffee too. I'm a coffee person, drink way too much! As for being weak a couple of days after giving blood, they usually tell you that when you give, don't they? Your body needs time to replace the fluids. Drinking lots of fluid helps, but it stil takes time. I haven't read that book but i'll request it at the library. You're right, there isn't much maintaining.

Lilly, How wonderful that your son is coming for a visit. I know you will enjoy that! Congratulations on the weight loss too. And well deserved after all that hard work. But even if you didn't lose, you're still getting so fit. I know we want more, we want those number on the scale to MOVE!!

Clothes: Sore subject. I'm 5'1" and it's really hard to get pants that i don't have to hem. And uniform tops are too low and I end up showing things I never intend to show. They don't make petite uniform tops, but they make bottoms. Now, how much sense does that make? But I did find a pair of Docker chino's this weekend that were perfect. I kept looking in the mirrow and trying to decide what was wrong with them, and finally it hit me. NOTHING!!! I'm just not used to pants fitting like that. But I can buy gap jeans and they fit really well too, along with some levi's. Just takes me twice as long to find clothes.

Not much longer untill the new baby huh? I miss holding a baby and buying little baby things. Our grandkids are getting so big now, 5-8. But they are fun at every age.

Everyone, make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! My challenges for this week are that my son has camp, which messes up my gym schedule. I plan to do one of my old favorite at-home workouts today right after dropping him off and going to the grocery store. And my ILs arrive on Wed., which means that I will be cooking a lot of stuff that we don't normally have around the house. Add that to the stress of having them here, and it ain't pretty. I will do the best I can - there's always something that will de-rail you if you let it, right?

We went to a water park yesterday and met one of my husband's co-workers and family there. I got to play with an almost one year old. She was soooo cute! She was crawling around everywhere and just saying a few cute little words. I am glad my two are a little older now (they are almost 6 and almost 4 1/2), but it was nice to have a small dose of baby.

I am still reading Thin for Life and enjoying it. I like to read a lot of "health" type books, so maybe I'll check out the Thin Club one next.

I hope you guys have a great day!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning! My weight is up up and away. Going to the doc today to talk about my thyroid and maybe get some more labs ordered. I'm guessing my weight is up either because of thyroid issues or because thyroid issues are causing severe constipation (TMI!). I haven't eaten 100% clean, but I really haven't been that bad either. Today my weight was 138.0.

I was laughing about the pregnant women having sex to soften the cervix. I had no idea that people recommended that! Actually, while I'm in the middle of TMI subjects, I have to ask - have any of you had a colposcopy and cervical biopsy? I had an abnormal pap so I had to have a biopsy done last Thursday, and I'm wondering how many days I'm supposed to keep having discharge from that. (WAY TMI, sorry! )

Okay, enough about that. I got some good exercise in this weekend, plus we took Carter to the dog park and he has finally loosened up enough to run around like a maniac with the other dogs. There was a hilarious moment when Carter decided he wanted to play with a little white dog named Tofu (Carter is 80lbs, this dog was about the size of a pug), so he did his play bow and started barking. Poor Tofu was scared stiff!

Today I have to move cubicles at work. They keep reorganizing our cubes! In any case I have to move to the cold side of the building. I think I'll be sneaking over to the thermostat and playing with it because I refuse to be freezing all day.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Good morning, everyone!

Yep, Meg, the baby is due any day, but I'm really hoping he doesn't come today! Send some "stay in there" vibes for me today, because my OB doesn't deliver on Mondays (something about not being able to get a nanny on Mondays for her own child) and I really really want it to be her and not one of the other doctors at her practice. He can come tomorrow, though!

I'm really looking forward to joining Anne in the world of new babies. Speaking of Anne, she's been a Godsend through my whole pregnancy. She's given me so much advice and I've been able to vent to her about all sorts of things. Yay for friendships started on 3FC!

That maintenance book sounds interesting (simply because, like you said, there aren't many books on maintenance), but I can see how the whole "thin club" thing might be offputting. I agree with you that we all struggle together wherever we are in terms of maintenance or loss. When I was at my goal (for about 5 minutes before getting knocked up), I certainly didn't feel any different from women who are struggling to lose (which is what I'll be again very soon anyway).
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #6  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

I spent Saturday gym-ing it and then going boating with BF's little sisters (ages 8 & 14) and cousin (15), and Sunday I tried two different recipes for spicy red pepper jelly. I'm going to have a tasting w/ both of my Texan roommates who like spicy foods and we'll decide which one is best, or if I need to keep working on it. Food was... *sigh and hangs head in shame* not good. I definitely undid all my work from last week. This is getting to be a serious problem! Ok, breathe, calm down. I cooked and planned food yesterday, and planned my lifting and workouts for this week since I'm done with NRLW (ack! I have to come up with my own workouts, can't just take them from a book?), and am taking it one day at a time.

I've decided the solution to getting clothes that fit is to just have a personal tailor who makes my clothes for me. Yup. Now I just need to hit the lottery to afford it.

I also agree that I've never in maintenance felt like I was any different from losing weight, even when I was within my desired maintenance range. I've actually felt a bit offended when people who don't know my weight loss history have made comments to me about how I'm so thin and don't need to watch what I eat, putting me in that supposed "club". I feel just like as Meg put it, I'm constantly "in the trenches"! But the payoff is worth it to me, and I've got great company.

Jessica, I've had several biopsies (here a b/c they're just no fun) and I've had discharge anywhere from a few days to a week, plus maybe a few days, afterwards. If you're really concerned over the amount, call your OBGYN's office and describe it to them and they can tell you if it's normal. I've done that too.

Wardhog, I love your picture! I hope your in-laws don't stress you out too much.

Hi Freda, Meg, everyone else out there. How was everyone's weekend.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Meg, I agree with you about the word "thin" I always associate "thin" and "skinny" with illness. Such as So and So has a disease , poor thing , she is so thin. I prefer to be at a healthy weight, "trim" or "fit" or just plain "normal". I am at a healthy weight for my height but do not think I look thin or skinny. A neighbor that has never seen me fat commented " You are so tiny and petite, you never have to worry about what you eat " Yeah, right!!!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

I'm on my first cup of coffee. Trying to pep up some before I hit the gym.

Meg, I definitely don't feel like a part of an elite club. I'm for sure in the trenches. Right now I'm digging myself out from some major depression (when Shane was deployed) and trying to get a grip again on my weight and my eating. I think all the added exercise that I'm getting is helping my depression though. I just feel good after I get my workout done each day. I think my quitting smoking on May 1st also added to my depression and weight skyrocketing.

When I hit the gym on July 12th after weeks of not caring what I ate and weeks of no exercise I was up to 159.8. I couldn't bear to see myself in the 160's and decided it was time to face up to it and get to work. Now, just 2 weeks later I'm at 154.4. I'm gonna continue to work super hard and see if I can be in the 140's again in a few more weeks.

Freda, I can definitely tell that I'm getting more fit. On some of the arm machines it's weird now cause I can feel a hard lump of muscle on my upper arms where it used to just be fat. Oh and I'm very excited for my son's upcoming visit. He is such a cheerful person and a joy to have around.

Yesterday was my 10th Anniversary. DH was away at work. We plan to take a trip to Eureka Springs, AR in early October. I just didn't want to go celebrate our anniversary in this heat. They have great little shops and there is tons of walking. Maybe I'll be back closer to goal and feel like shopping for some new clothes.

Speaking of babies, my XSIL called yesterday to let my 2 yr. old grandson call me cause little Gunner was begging to talk to grandma Lily. It was so sweet. He just kept saying "I love you grandma lily". He is so sweet. I plan to have the boys for an overnight visit Friday when DH is home so he can see them too.

My youngest grandson, Patrick, who is now a yr. old will soon be joining the other 2 boys to live with their father. Samantha has agreed now to give him over to the father too. Truthfully, all 3 of the boys will be better off raised together and with their dad.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good morning everyone!
I'm feeling the need for some re-motivation this week!
I returned from Mexico last Sunday (up a few pounds) and worked hard all week, but then went out of town again for the weekend (with my dd-- we did a passport to purity weekend where we talked about dating, peer pressure, abstaining, etc.). I didn't stick to my eating plan well and didn't get my exercise in over the weekend and the scale shows it!
To top it off, dd had a bad cold while we were gone, and I think I've caught it. I'm going to go to the gym in a few minutes and see how it goes, but I may not be able to do much unfortunately.

Lily-- I'm so glad Shane is coming home soon. That is great news.

Lisa-- how exciting for you! I hope he "stays put" for another day for you.

I watched the Today show this morning and they talked about setting weight goals and then achieving them. I was disappointed to hear the old standard still being used for women-- add 5 pounds for each inch you are over 5 feet, so "ideal" for my height would be 125. They talked about how that might not be your realistic weight, but I just hate that they still use that standard. I think it is totally unrealistic for most people (myself included).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Thin, skinny, tiny, fit, healthy--I'll take 'em all! I'm happy to be called any of those adjectives--they sure beat the alternatives. Someone recently referred to my knees as "bony"; I don't think she meant it as a compliment but I sure took it that way! Three years ago, no one would ever have call my knees "bony." I was glowing all day. And, Meg, you might not think of yourself as thin, but I'd be surprised if there were many people that agree with you on that. You certainly look pretty thin to me.

And I do think we are a somewhat elite club. I've read any number of articles that say that what I see here everyday in the 3FC maintainers' forum isn't possible. That it's not possible to lose a substantial amount of body weight (e.g., more than 5% or 10%) and sustain that loss over the long term. We are the exception that proves the rule. It's not an exclusive club--anyone that wants to make the same life choices can join (unlike the first class bathrooms on planes), but we're clearly a unique group. I definitely feel like the choices I've made with respect to my diet and exercise set me apart from a lot of other people--and judging by the reaction I get when I describe my lifestyle, I'm not the only one that thinks this. Most people seem to think that I am a little nutty, obsessive, over-the-top, etc. etc. At least being part of a "club" sounds better than being in the "asylum."

Lily:
That's so awesome about Shane--both that he gets to come home for a visit and being Soldier of the Week!

Meg: I think you asked me about lavender and I don't think I answered. To make the lavender infused sugar, I just used some of the lavender we have growing in the yard. The recipe said to use dried lavender, which I didn't have (and I didn't have the time or patience to wait for it to dry), so I just picked the flowers that looked the driest. I washed them off and let them sit on a paper towel for a day or so, then put them in a sealed container with the sugar. It seemed to work fine. You can buy dried lavender from foodieloot.ecrater.com. I get almost all my spices there--prices are reasonable, shipping is free and usually quick, the spices are remarkably fresh, and she always throws in a freebie or two.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #11  
The Pink Champagne

S/C/G: 165/114/110

Height: 5'2"

Hello everyone!!

I'm back from Savannah/the wedding shower. It was a lot of fun, although I might have had a few too many mimosas Saturday. But,we did the toilet paper wedding dress game and I had to be one of the brides. That's reason enough, right?

I was able to get ONE day at the beach and came back with sunburn in the weirdest places where my sunsreen wore off. haha.

I was NOT happy with how I looked in my suit. Numbers-wise, I think my weight is fine(my scale is not too reliable), but TONING......I need it! Between now and the wedding in October, I plan on focusing really hard on eating well and really pushing my workouts. I really have been slacking. It is so hard exercising w/The Boy...he's "done" in about 30 minutes!

I'll catch up with everyone later---work is crazy this week.

Have a great day!
DGAdDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Megan - thanks for the info about biopsies, I feel much better knowing that someone else has had the same thing!

LisaMarie - I hope the baby comes soon!

Lily - that is so adorable about your grandson!

to Barbara, Michele, DGA, Meg, and anyone else I missed!

My doctor's appointment yesterday was both relieving and frustrating. She is running more thyroid tests on me and seems motivated to get my thyroid stable. On the other hand, when I tried to present the evidence I research on the connection between my tendon problems and hypothyroidism, she basically acted like I was a total moron who couldn't possibly have learned anything useful on my own. I think maybe she was just having a bad day.

My goal for tomorrow: get out of bed at the same time as DH and take the dog for a wog (hee hee, I love to say that). It's so much cooler in the morning. In the afternoon I'm always exhausted and don't want to exercise - I much prefer doing it in the morning. It's just a matter of getting myself out of bed earlier.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Just checking in to see if there are any new babies!

back down to 171 this morning...started my second year of my journey a week ago at 170 then got up to 173 this week-end.

Off today...will try and catch up.

C-YA ~ Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Peeking in here today! Hi everybody. I'm still hanging in, 7 weeks postpartum now. DS is sleeping 7 hrs straight one night and then up every 2 hrs the next. It is making me nuts. And hungry. DD is turning up the juice on the tantrums. Did I mention I'm going crazy??

I'm walking more or less regularly now. Tried to ease into running but my knee isn't cooperating, so I'll give it a bit more time. Eating isn't great but not horrible either and weight is slowing starting to move in the right direction. Slowly.

I keep thinking one of these days I'll have enough time to do a little more than zoom though and touch base. I'm sure SOMEDAY it will happen.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Okay, a quick question. I've at last found Greek yogurt at my local grocery, and it's even ff. But, it's $4.15 for 16 oz. (I can buy a quart of regular, good quality (i.e. Stonyfield, Nancy's, Brown Cow) for less than that. Is the price differential as great other places? I didn't buy it, but I'm tempting just to see if it's better

to everyone. Really busy here, but I'll catchup later.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote