Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

Question Exercise intensity??

hi all -- I'm not nearly a mantainer yet, but I have a question for all you successful "losers."

I have heard that changes have to be things that you're wiliing to do for the long haul; I'm wondering how that applies to exercise.

Right now I walk my dog every day, 45-90 minutes each day. I also go to Curves 3 times a week and work out pretty hard there (sometimes I spend more than the standard 30 mins too), and I swim several times a week. I _could_ spend more time exercising now (especially in the summer), but I don't know if I could commit to a more rigorous program "for ever." This level of working out feels really good -- is it ok for the long haul?

After I reach goal (in the far-distant future...) will I have to work out harder to keep it off? What has your experience been?

I know people's bodies are different, and exercise / food are related, but any suggestions would be appreciated! Oh, ps -- I have old sports injuries from thinner days and don't want to a lot of weight-bearing intense stuff until I lose more weight.

Thanks a bunch!
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Anita and welcome!

It seems like most maintainers keep their exercise level about the same as when they were losing but increase their calories a bit for maintenance. Most of us would enjoy a little more food at times! I don't think you'd have to increase your exercise in maintenance unless you REALLY add a lot of calories to your food plan.

If you're happy with your rate of weight loss now, don't change a thing. As you're losing, you may hit a plateau and at that point you might consider whether you would want to increase your exercise intensity or duration a bit, or decrease calories, or both.

But you're absolutely right ... this is for a lifetime and we need to find eating and exercise plans that are right and comfortable for us. Sounds like you found yours!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

I agree with Meg, but I do want to add that you will likely "outgrow" Curves. There is a limit to how hard you work a hydraulic machine, and simply doing the same - by then easy - exercises you won't challenge your muscles. You might want to take a look at whe Weight and Reisistance Training thread, and consider lifting using free weights. If Curves is still challenging for you, great, but if it's easy and more of placeholder, you might be ready to move up.

But you're off to a great start, and considering maintenace from early on in your weight loss. Congratulaions.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

thanks, Meg and Pat; I have my membership at Curves paid up thru the end of the year; for that time, I think I can stay challenged by working out longer, doing extra 30-second spots on the "recovery" stations, etc. I'm thinking about switching to a "real gym" at that point -- when, if I stay on plan, I'll be closer to what I consider my "fighting weight."

take care!
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I think that if what you are doing is working and feels good to you, stick with it. The best exercise you can do is the exercise that you will do.

I also think that over time, you might surprise yourself and naturally start increasing your level of exercise. This has definitely been my own experience. When I first started exercising, it seem really overwhelming and I remember wondering how I was going to keep up the minimal level of exercise I was doing (just a few times per week at a minimal intensity) for the rest of my life. It just didn't seem possible. But then, after a while, it did seem possible. And then after a while more, it seemed possible to add in a little more exercise and to increase the intensity a bit. And then I got bored with what I was doing and I wanted to be able to eat a little more, so I increased my exercise a little more. And now that I've gotten to maintenance, I have increased the intensity/amount of my exercise a bit. But I didn't have to force myself to make these changes; I wanted to do it and I enjoy the exercise that I do.

Now, three years later, my exercise routine continues to evolve--I add new types of exercise, I increase the intensity, or I just exercise longer. My latest kick is to try to add some yoga/stretching classes to my routine. I also really want to start hula hooping because I think it would be fun and great for my abs. But every change I make seems natural and easy; I don't do anything that I have to force myself to do.

So if what you are doing now feels good, stick with it. If it starts to feel easy or boring, that's the time to change it up.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote