Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Default Help! My eating is out of control!

Hello Maintainers! I really need some sound advice and encouragement.
I am usually very disciplined but the last few days my eating has been way out of control. The sad thing is I really haven't cared! I don't usually even eat sweets and lately I just can't seem to get enough, especially chocolate. Ok, I admit I am PMSing but this is ridiculious. I feel like I am self-sabotaging! I know my thyroid med dosage isn't high enough...I am having the symptoms again...my doctor is awaiting my blood test results to up my dosage. So, that could be anither reason. I feel like I have gain 5 lbs in 4 days.
Will I take it off quickly if I gained it quickly. No more messing around...I AM GOING TO EAT BETTER AND STOP EATING THE CRAP! I hate this viscious cycle.
I think I just really needed to be accountable for my actions these past few days. Do any of you ever lose control? How do you get back on track?
Help!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #2  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I'm not a maintainer (yet) but sure, I've gotten out of control many times, I'm sorry to report. At some point though, and it sounds like you're there, a moment of clarity arrives. The guilt I'd felt throughout the detour turns into, "no more!"

Are you hyper or hypo thyroid? If you're hyperthyroid and your dose of suppressant is too low, you could indeed have a higher metabolism right now, and what you feel could be legitimate hunger. Even if so, try to eat those extra calories in healthier foods for a start.

If you're hypo, you may be trying to eat away fatigue and depression, which as we all know doesn't work very well.

Hang in there and try to make the best choices you can until your meds are figured out. You can do it!

Last edited by 3Beans; 05-06-2008 at 03:27 PM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #3  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I find I get these almost uncontrollable sweet urges / binges right around my TOM. If I'm going over the edge, I am trying to indulge in sweets that are healthier or on plan, just more than usual. Then get right back on plan right away. I find that one or two "off" days will not derail my maintenance program. Any temporary gain/bloating will pass in a few days. It's the one or two days of binging that turn into one or two weeks off plan that really hurts ....

Here's my confession: Last Saturday, our church had a Ladies' tea event. There was NOTHING healthy there, and I didn't plan ahead to bring an alternative. I started off pretty good, but then went off track. Scones, clotted cream, finger sandwiches, cake, you name it. My biggest error by far was taking several large plates of leftovers home (for DH and the boys) because there was so much left that would go to waste. Of course, you know who dived in and demolished a good share of the bounty! Ouch. The next day the scale was SEVERAL pounds up, but it has bounced back down completely within a few days. So yes, I definitely have those days too!! I think it's just the way maintenance goes ... little mini ups-and-downs that get corrected before they go too far off track.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #4  
Chuggin' along...

azmom, step away from the food. Breathe a little bit. Relax. Just because you've eaten some off plan things, don't throw in the towel. You are worth treating your body and your health well.

I find that when I eat out of control, I miiiight be PMS-ing, or whatever, but really I'm just not dealing with stress as well as I have the capability of doing. I use stress as an excuse to eat poorly. The biggest problem for me and out-of-control eating is that I do it when I'm sleep deprived. When I'm well rested I have the energy to make food temptations, well, not tempting. Go for a 10-minute walk, wherever you are, wherever you can go to. Or go fold laundry for 10 minutes. Drink some hot tea. Do something else for a few minutes to give your body a chance to calm down. Breathe deeply.

When I do "fall off the wagon", I don't think there is anything to do but get back on. I go to the store and buy healthy food. I get rid of any unhealthy food if necessary (I don't bring my trigger foods, like cartons of ice cream or snickers bars, in my house). I cut up a bunch of veggies and fruits and prep healthy foods for the next few days. I go work out. After a day or two of sticking to my plan, I actually feel like I want to be on plan and get back in the groove.

Be strong.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #5  

Thanks to all of you...I had a good day yesterday and already feel like I on my way back. The older I get, the worst my PMS gets. I'm 42 so I know I still have a ways to go! I am certain that sugar is the devil...I can be completely off the stuff and the minute I have just a little, I can't stop!

Back to my healthy, whole foods way of eating...I feel better already!

You guys are great! Thanks for the encouragement and sharing your stories. You make me feel like I am not the only one struggling with keeping it off!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Come on over to the "No Excuses Week #2" thread - a bunch of maintainers accountable to eachother for staying on plan, no excuses. I can tell you that this week (I'm traveling for business, incredibly busy, and exhausted) would have been veering dangerously off-plan if I didn't know I had to report back to them! But since I'm keeping myself accountable to the group, I am staying the course.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #7  

Thanks for the invite...I'm coming over!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmom View Post
You guys are great! Thanks for the encouragement and sharing your stories. You make me feel like I am not the only one struggling with keeping it off!
You're definitely not the only one. I think maintenance is a struggle for all of us. When I go off-plan like that, I just start fresh and get back on plan the next day. Over the holidays I was off-plan for about two weeks and I finally just gave myself to Jan 2--on Jan 2 I had to be back on plan.

In terms of losing the weight, you probably didn't gain 5 lbs in in four days. To do that, you would have to be over 4,000 calories above your maintenance level every day. Even if you're eating chocolate and nuts, that still a lot of food.

I find that when I eat off plan I retain a lot of water; sometimes over 5 lbs of water. So some of the weight you are seeing/feeling is most certainly water. In fact most of it could be water. The actual fat/weight that I gain from eating off plan comes of just a slowly the second time as it did the first time (but the good news is that it does come off once I get back on plan), but the extra water weight is usually gone in a week.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmom View Post
I am certain that sugar is the devil...I can be completely off the stuff and the minute I have just a little, I can't stop!

Back to my healthy, whole foods way of eating...I feel better already!

You make me feel like I am not the only one struggling with keeping it off!
I am the same way with sugar. When will I learn???????? And isn't it amazing once you get back to that healthy, whole foods stuff how much better you feel? First off - relief, that you're back in your comfort zone and then just all over physically better.

As far as struggling, oh no, you are by no means alone. It's definitely been a roller coaster for me. But once you get a few good days under your belt, get back into the groove of the good eating, it really does seem less of a struggle once again. Until of course I touch the sugar/& or carbs again. And then I get back into the groove again. Until of course I touch the sugar/& or carbs again. And then I get back.......... Yeah, you get the picture - ROLLER COASTER.

Actually truth be told, I can overeat the healthy stuff too, not only the sugar/carbs. But without a doubt, hands down - it is MUCH easier to get back on track when that is the case.

Glad you had a good day yesterday and I look forward to seeing you over at our NO EXCUSES thread. We also have a weekly chat thread going. Pop in over there too.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #10  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

I just wanted to tell you that you are NOT alone!! Some days, maintaining seems pretty easy; it goes smoothly. Other days are so, SO hard. I guess all we can do when we get off track is forgive ourselves (this seems very important for me, at least) and get back on. Hang in there.

for you

nineteen

Last edited by nineteen; 05-08-2008 at 12:21 AM.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote