Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Spring Clothes Shopping

Last edited by Meg; 12-13-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #2  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I was just thinking the same things yesterday! I was saying for the millionth time...I am so tired of being cold!!! Sick of the bulky coat, boots, etc... (of course, I realize it won't be long I will be complaining that I am too hot!)

I have a weakness for purses and shoes....I have found some great purses at fantastic prices lately at Kohl's (like between $4 and $7 for name brand leather purses! I know, doesn't help that addiction any!)

I am seeing the same colors you mentioned--as well as a great shade of blue--not sure how to describe it, though. Yes, it seems those walking shorts are back. They look ridiculous on me, too.

I haven't bought anything yet...other than the purses (a great buttery yellow one and a nice green, and well....you get the idea...) I am starting my Spring cleaning in 2 weeks, so I'll see what I need before I hit the stores. I'm not at goal weight yet, so while I want to look good w/ some wardrobe updates, I don't want to buy too much right now either.

Thanks for starting this thread....I may start poking around my closet to see what I have....
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #3  
Meg

Hi MJ! Oh, I think I know the blue you're talking about -- is this it?

If so, I love it!
Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

Well I have not been letting the cold weather stop me from shopping--at least on line.LOL!!
I bought a really cute yellow Talbots jacket reversible with white polka dots --sounds strange but it is really pretty.
Also bought a top ( kind of Monet colors) when they had their 25% off tops sale.
Oh and two pair of jeans --white and turquoise-- gotta love those size 6 pants!!
Then Banana Republic had a gorgeous orange(!!) coat with a 15% off sale and free shipping which I am waiting to get--hope it's the right size.I am 5'4 " and I can do either regular small or petite.
How I justify all of this to myself is that a year ago this time I had not reached my goal weight -- and had not bought anything for years except big sweaters.
I started buying my new size clothes in summer; so still need things for spring and then I will have done a year's shopping for my new size and will not need to buy so much.
One thing I love about Talbots is that they will take returns anytime even if worn and with tags off -- though it's a good thing to save the tags so they can figure out how to refund the item.
I found this out by chance last year when after my size 8 capris --I had bought 3 or 4-- were too big, and I called up to order size 6s when they came on sale.
The woman I spoke to said "oh just return the size 8s".
I said but I have worn them and even washed them: she said "no problem".
I thought what a great policy!
However I try not to take advantage of it too much though I did buy a jacket in the fall and wore it a couple of times and I decided it did not fit properly so that went back too.
What a gorgeous blue color Meg!! What store did you take that picture from?

Last edited by KatieK; 02-24-2008 at 08:07 AM.
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #5  
Mel

Wow- I didn't know you could return worn clothes without tags to Talbot! I have a few jackets that just plain don't fit right and I only wore them once or twice. I may be headed there this afternoon.

I was shopping for a new suit-ish type outfit (I'm ALWAYS cold at work, even all summer), and was dismayed at the styles and colors. Op-art prints in orange and lime> yuck. There were $150 MUMUS at Ann Taylor! Think Laugh-In styles from the 1960's- oh, yeah, most of you don't remember that!
Ugly, ugly, ugly! I may not be buying anything new this year. Hahaha, I know me... I'll be shopping anyway

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #6  
Meg

I didn't know that either about Talbots! But I looked on their website and they say:

Unconditional Guarantee
If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item for an exchange or refund. No time limit. No exceptions.

Let us know how it works out, Mel! And maybe you'll find something nice while you're there -- I haven't seen any geometric mumus in their catalog. I did buy this blue tweed jacket from them a few weeks ago (since I love blue!):

Katie, the blue jacket is from the Liz Claiborne web site, here. It's on sale.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

Mel it is probably important to have your original bill for Talbots.
Not sure how they figure out the refund price without it.
They may just use whatever the lowest sale price is if you don't have the original bill. Good Luck!
Love your jacket Meg --I'll have to check out their website again--haven't been on it for awhile!
I checked out the Liz Clairborne site as I think that blue is TDF but they don't have it left in the smaller sizes --bummer.

Last edited by KatieK; 02-24-2008 at 11:50 AM.
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Oooh. I haven't been shopping yet. I nearly took myself shopping the other day as a quit-smoking-reward, but since I'm carrying an extra 5lb in my tummy I decided against it. Meg, I need a new purse too and shoes, but it's no fun to make a 2 hour round trip drive and then not try on clothes when you get there. Any trying on clothes that won't fit properly is NOT fun.

But I do want to buy a new purse. The strap on my current bag is held on by a binder clip, and has been for about 6 months. I'm a high class gal.

Mel, I like mumus! I spent all of last summer searching for (and not finding) the perfect one. I'm a big fan of lounge wear and comfort for around-the-house.

Last edited by baffled111; 02-24-2008 at 12:22 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I love looking at the fashions, but I don't ever go anywhere that requires anything but jeans or shorts and T-shirts. Last year I was so excited to buy a dress for my friend's 50th anniversary party--but that's the only time I've worn it. I guess I'll have to ask her if she'd like a 51st anniversary party so I can wear the dress again!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #10  
Mel

Baf- Those are not lounge wear! It's supposedly "career dressing"
Old 02-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #11  

Mel, I think I don't know what a mumu is. I was thinking of those caftan things: giant, brightly colored sheets with a hole for your head and giant loose butterfly sleeves. Those are definitely lounge wear. Can you post a link for the AT mumus? I can't find them on the site.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #12  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
I was thinking of those caftan things: giant, brightly colored sheets with a hole for your head and giant loose butterfly sleeves.
Baff? Baff? This is your idea of comfortable, around-the-house lounge wear? Whatever happened to sweats and a T?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #13  

Lol, well, I'm wearing leggings and a tee and slippers now, but in the summer, when its over 100 degrees out, I think I want to wear a caftan. Tee hee. I've been busted! Bf thinks I'm completely insane every time I announce that I want to get one.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #14  
Meg

I'm sure this has nothing to do with his impending cross-country move. Nothing at all.

(kidding!! )
Old 02-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #15  
Mel

I don't see them on the Ann Taylor site either...they were there in the store! a whole rack of swirly yellow and coral prints, gathered at the losish neckline and flaring out with short bell sleeves.

I found great shoes today at the Nine West outlet store and a few nice square neck t-shirts at Banana and a rust colored sweater, but other than that, the day was a long drive for not much.

I like that second blue jacket, Meg! Ever since I wore a blue suit to a meeting and someone commented how much I looked like an American Airlines stewardess, I've shied away from blue jackets. But with a contrasting skirt or slacks, that would look great.

Mel