Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #106  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

This recipe is from the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery (it can be found in antique stores nowadays, that's where I got my copy!) in the Russian Cookbook section. I think we could probably make it a bit healthier, anyone want to provide suggestions?

Vinaigrette S Syomgoi
(Salmon Vinaigrette)

1/2 lb smoked salmon slices
2 cold cooked potatoes, diced
1 Tbsp capers
1 Tbsp minced onion
1/4 C sliced pitted green olives
1 Tbsp chopped scallions
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp salad oil
1 tsp prepared mustard
pepper to taste
fresh dill sprigs (optional)

Cut smoked salmon into even strips. Mix salmon, potatoes, capers, onion, olives, and scallions carefully with a fork. Arrange in a dish and cover with the dressing, made by mixing vinegar with oil, mustard, and pepper. Don't stir into the salad; it will run down and the potatoes and salmon will stay in better shape. Chill before serving. Garnish with dill.

Makes 4-6 servings.

Nutritional analysis from caloriecount.about.com assuming 5 servings:
Calories: 172
Total fat: 8.3g
Sat fat: 1.4
Cholesterol: 10mg
Sodium: 1034mg (ouch!)
Total carb: 14.2g
Fiber: 2.4g
Protein: 9.9g

I'm guessing to make it a bit healthier, you could cut down the oil, rinse the capers and olives to make it less salty, and add some other kind of veggie. Diced green bell pepper would probably be good!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #107  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

ROBIN'S BAKED CHICKEN WITH VEGGIES

Chicken pieces with the skin on -

3 – 4 large stalks celery, sliced

1 large zucchini, cut into half moons

2 potatoes, sliced thin – I will definitely try this next time with turnips instead. Wished I had thought of it earlier.

A few garlic cloves, chopped coarsely

2 carrots, diced

1 large onion, chopped coarsely

½ cup red wine

½ cup water

About 1 ½ tsps dry onion soup mix

Dried rosemary & thyme

Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper

1 can petite diced tomatoes with mild green chilies – we really liked the tomatoes here and next time I may use two cans

Rinse chicken pieces. Pull back skin a little and sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Put skin back in place. Sprinkle a bit more seasonings on back and front.

In a large roasting pan, lay out all the cut up veggies.
Pour on the water and the wine. Place chicken on top of veggies. Pour the diced tomatoes and juice on top of chicken. Sprinkle chicken with dry onion soup mix. Sprinkle with rosemary and thyme.

Cover tightly with a piece or two of aluminum foil.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 70 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and bake another 20 minutes or so until almost browned. At this point I removed the skin (it came off quite easily) and discarded it. I turned the chicken over so that the back side is now sticking up, the side that was covered with the skin is now in the liquid (which has mostly been absorbed at this point) and baked it for another 10- 15 minutes. I baked it a long time - we like our chicken VERY soft and fall off the bone-y.

To serve, place a piece of chicken on a plate with a nice sized serving of the veggies and gravy. Enjoy!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #108  
GastronomicVotarist ;)

S/C/G: 215/192.4/140

Height: 5' 7"

this is from my blog for 'reworked junk food recipes'

GLUTEN FREE CRISPY TURKEY NUGGETS

You can use any type of meat you have on hand I prefer ground turkey, you can use chicken ground or not, fish, beef, etc.

1 egg white

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 1/2 cups ground mixed nuts [get fresh ones not fried and salted ones people, otherwise what's the point in trying to boycott McRallow's] I usually just crack a 2 lb bag of mixed nuts and process them in a small food processor

1/2 - 3/4 c ground flax meal or not [you can use whole flax seeds if you like]

2 -3 lb’s of ground turkey

1 t onion powder

1 t garlic powder

spices for nugget crust [whatever you like] you can go chili and spice, or oregano and rosemary, depends on your taste.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Separate egg white from yolk, add 1/2 cup of broth to egg white and beat it up a little till you see some bubbles.

In a separate container mix your flax seed/meal into your mixed nuts meal add some finely chopped rosemary and oregano to your mixed nuts with a pinch of salt and stir.

Mix your onion powder and garlic powder into turkey meat.

Use a wire rack to bake the nuggets, this way you don’t have to bother with flipping them and they will cook on both sides at the same time. Place a cookie sheet under the rack, the nuggets will drip. If your rack isn’t nonstick spray/brush some oil on it.

Form nugget sized portions, use two forks to flip the nugget in the egg white mix, and use the fork to place the nugget in the spicey nut crust mix. I prefer to flip the nugget without using my fingers. Just use a 4×4x4 tupperware dish for the nut mix and toss the nugget around till it flips over so it’s coated completely. Place on rack.

Lower oven to 350. After 15 minutes turn your tray around so both ends get the same amount of heat. I don’t know about you but the back of my oven is much hotter than the front. Check the nuggets after another 10-20 minutes. The longer you leave them in the crispier they will be. Depending upon the size of your nuggets will change the time it takes to cook, small ones will burn sooner than larger ones.

The recipe here is so tasty you won’t need any sauce.

But if you want a healthy alternative to the diabetes treats/sauce packets they give you in the drive thru you can try this:

few tablespoons of course ground mustard

a tablespoon of honey

These are great the next day but they won’t be crispy straight out of the fridge. If you want to crisp them again you’ll have to bake them again.

Last edited by rebeccamichelle777; 03-19-2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: oops
rebeccamichelle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #109  
GastronomicVotarist ;)

Default Orange Genius!!

ORANGE GENIUS!
Freeze a liter or so of orange juice in an ice cube tray

4-10 cubes of orange juice [depends on your tray or your servings]

1/2 c soy [figure out how you like it]

1 T honey [optional]

Blend for a few seconds, but don’t blend too long or it looses it’s icy characteristics. Now enjoy!

Last edited by rebeccamichelle777; 03-19-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:02 AM   #110  
GastronomicVotarist ;)

Lightbulb Not Jack in the Box Taco's!!!

Here's another healthy recipe from my 'reworked junk food recipe blog'

It's about Jack in the Box taco's
Yup we all know how unappetizing they ‘look’, with their oozing orange savory oil staining everything it comes into contact with.

But they are deceptively tasty! I figured out why! They add masa to the mix, that is what gives the filling that creamy texture.

They also add several other ingredients that aren’t so good for us like the new villain on the scene, Soy Oil! I don’t know about you but when I heard Dr. Hyman talk about discovering that soy oil causes brain swelling [he noticed this when working with children with autism] I try my best to steer clear of it and have noticed a marked improvement in my monthly pms issues and overall emotional health.

But I’m talking about tacos!!!! Sorry…

Anyway I made a healthier alternative to this deliciously diabolical treat, here’s the recipe:

makes about 25 servings

16 oz low sodium chicken broth or what ever broth beef/veg

1 c. Masa flour

3 lbs ground turkey

1 T onion powder

1 T garlic powder

1 c. or more of your favorite salsa

The most important step is when you are cooking your turkey. 1st you need to stir it alot so all the chunks are broken up and refined as it cooks, add your onion and garlic powder during this step. I use a potato masher to get it all broken up into tiny pieces.

After that add your salsa, stir.

Add your masa about a cup depends on how creamy you discover you like it. Add your broth stir masa well and let cook on low heat to cook the cornmeal flour to get that creamy consistency. If you taste it and it tastes grainy you have not let it cook long enough. Just keep stirring.

I usually freeze most of it in small containers to pop into the microwave when I need it.

This is great as a snack on the lil tiny tortillas with a tablespoon of sauteed greens, or as a meal any time of day. I add a little slice of cheese and a slice of avocado when I make them for my husband and he loves them. I prefer it plain on a corn tortilla to cut back on dairy consumption.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #111  
GastronomicVotarist ;)

Lightbulb Latte? No Way! Lol

This is also from my recipe blog for 'junk food face-lift recipes'

LATTE? NO WAY!

LOL, my lactose intolerant title may give you some insight as to my feelings about these delicious hip extending drinks. Don’t get me wrong, they taste great especially with vanilla syrup but my tummy can’t take milk hardly ever!

So I came up with a great alternative, I’ve been allowing myself to indulge in 1 sweet drink to wake up. A soy black tea latte with honey.

I use 3 lipton tea bags steep 3-5 min’s in 1 1/2 c. h20

1/4 - 1/2 cup soy or almond milk

1 T honey

The extra strong tea with that soy and honey is all it takes for me to forget I have quit coffee.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #112  
GastronomicVotarist ;)

Lightbulb Breakfast taco version

More from my recipe blog:

Breakfast taco version

For this recipe I add an egg and some salsa.

1 egg

2 corn tortillas

1 cup sauteed collard greens

salsa

Heat up a small cast iron pan with a 1 teaspoon or less of olive oil till the oil shimmers. Make sure you coat the entire bottom of the pan or your egg will stick. Mix your egg with a fork in a small cup and pour into your small pan cover with lid so it cooks thru entirely. Turn the heat low, it only takes a minute or two. Heat your tortillas for 30 seconds. Cut your fried egg in half, put one half on each tortilla and add 1/4- 1/2 cup of greens with some salsa to your tacos. Tadaaa, super healthy, very little fat [we need fat, the good kind to be healthy], lots of fiber and protein and vitamins.

This breakfast is just under 300 calories. It will fill you up without making you tired because it is easy to digest due to the greens and limited starches.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #113  
GastronomicVotarist ;)

Lightbulb Instead of a McMeal try this

This is from my recipe blog:
This is what I make my honey for his breakfast since he's on a weight loss program with meeeee! LOL

McManwich Homemade Style
1 egg

1 slice low-fat American cheese

low-fat turkey sausage links

1 or 2 slices wheat bread [1 slice is going to cut a lot of calories off this meal]

I heat up my small egg pan, a cast iron about 5″ across, and beat the egg in a little cup with a fork, I add a small amount of olive oil to pan, 1t. Wait till oil is shimmering, add egg.

I put a lid on the pan to help the egg cook through [so I don't have to flip it] and turn off the heat, the cast iron pan is thick enough to cook the egg without the heat on.

Add a slice of cheese on top of the egg. I toast the bread in the toaster, cook turkey links in a pan to brown the side and slice. Take the lid off the egg place a piece of toast on the egg and flip the pan, the egg comes right out.

Place the turkey links on the sandwich and the other piece of bread. Tadaa!

A fraction of the price and the chemicals of a McDontdoit Meal.

Last edited by rebeccamichelle777; 03-19-2010 at 05:09 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-19-2010, 05:11 AM   #114  
GastronomicVotarist ;)

Lightbulb Collard greens Tacos?!?

More from my recipe blog:

[I sometimes add a steamed tilapia fillet if I need protein.]

I know! Your thinking Gross! But it’s good really, I turn making a healthy meal into a no brainer.

makes about 5-10 servings depending on how big your tortilla is

1 bunch of greens

1 T olive oil

a dash of salt

2 T broth

First of all put a few T’s of olive oil into the dutch oven pot on med heat.

I wash and chop everything on the plant even the stems into 1/2-1 inch pieces and toss in a dutch oven pot with the hot oil and 1t of salt. Toss with tongs get the leaves coated well with the oil.

Not too hot tho, if they burn they will STINK and your honey may walk in while your cooking and look at you funny like you made that smell.

I add a few T’s of broth and toss with tongs while sauteing on med high.

I prefer my greens to still be green, not that sick gray green over cooked broccoli has so I only cook a few minutes.

Some folks cook the heck out of their greens for an hour or so and add bacon, sugar, vinegar etc…. STOP!

I just want a meal that is healthy and easy to make. gawl!

So I heat up 3 of the lil corn tortillas in a paper towel for 30 seconds in my microwave and put a small handful of my beautiful greens in them, I get loads of fiber, vitamins, and a little starch for my blood sugar. I’m usually full for at least 2 hours from this snack.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #115  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

For anyone who has a sweet tooth like me..

http://ohsheglows.com/2010/07/08/fro...ake-glo-cakes/
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #116  
Chuggin' along...

Default Green Bean Recipe

"Mrs. Hausmann's Green Beans" (from my mom's friend - you guessed it - Mrs. Hausmann)
1 lb green beans, rinsed, trimmed, cut up to whatever size you like
small onion, sliced into rings
1/3 c chopped pecans (I also use walnuts and they work great)
3-4 T butter (or 1 T if you're Megan)
3 T brown sugar
3 T orange juice
1.5 T Dijon mustard
1 t salt (or to taste)

Steam green beans. In skillet, cook onions & pecans in butter until tender over medium heat. Add brown sugar, OJ, mustard, salt, stir and cook 2-3 min. longer until sauce bubbles and begins to reduce. Stir in beans and heat through.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #117  
slow and steady

Default Mushroom and Sausage Ragu with Polenta

From Cooking Light.

I made this recipe last night to use up some leftover low fat cream cheese. It is absolutely the richest-tasting "light" recipe I have ever made. I was full after eating half a serving. I'm copying the recipe and nutritional info as specified in the magazine here, but I think if you add some steamed veggies and/or a salad on the side, you could cut the portion size in half and still be satisfied.

Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided (I left this out)
1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
2 1/2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked polenta
4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1 tablespoon butter (I used about half this much butter)

Preparation
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Remove sausage from casings. Add sausage to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove sausage from pan.

2. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in sausage, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; simmer gently for 15 minutes.

3. Bring broth and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add polenta, stirring well. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, cheese, and butter. Serve with sausage mixture.

Yield: 4 servings. Serving size is about 1 C polenta and 1 C ragu.

Nutritional Information
Calories:428
Fat:18.7g (sat 8.4g,mono 8.5g,poly 1.4g)
Protein:18.2g
Carbohydrate:46g
Fiber:4.6g
Cholesterol:53mg
Iron:3.3mg
Sodium:821mg
Calcium:74mg
Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Puree of Asparagus soup

1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
6 cups low fat chicken broth
1.5 pounds asparagus, chopped
1/2 potato, peeled & chopped (I used one small red potato)
pinch salt
dash 17 spice mix (I used Spike)
1/2 tsp dried mustard

Saute onion and garlic in 1/4 c chicken broth. Add asparagus, potato and remaining broth. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes or more. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Return to heat, adding herbs and reheat. Serve. Makes 8 cups. Sorry, I don't have calorie count on this.

Wow, plugged this into an analyzer and it comes to less than 50 calories per serving!

Last edited by alinnell; 01-11-2011 at 12:41 PM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #119  
slow and steady

Default Crustless Smoked Turkey and Spinach Quiche

From Cooking Light.

I couldn't find cubed smoked turkey ham so I used regular deli smoked turkey and it was nom.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Ingredients
Cooking spray
3/4 cup (4 ounces) cubed smoked turkey ham (such as Jennie-0)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ham, onion, and pepper to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until ham is lightly browned.

3. Sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese in a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Top with ham mixture.

4. Combine remaining 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, spinach, and next 5 ingredients (through egg whites) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.

5. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring with a whisk until blended. Pour egg mixture over ham mixture. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center of quiche comes out clean.

Nutritional Information
Calories:152 (30% from fat)
Fat:5.1g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.5g)
Protein:14.2g
Carbohydrate:11.2g
Fiber:0.5g
Cholesterol:68mg
Iron:1mg
Sodium:427mg
Calcium:225mg
Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Southwest Frittata (This may have been in an old Cooking Light book, but I can't find the book anywhere, so I concocted it myself from several sources)

1/2 medium onion, chopped, and sauteed in some Pam
1-2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I usually simmer them in water)
1 c canned black beans, rinsed
1 c frozen corn
1 4 oz can green chilies
6-8 eggs or combination of eggs and egg whites or what the heck, just use the whites
8 oz reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
reduced fat sour cream (or fat free or even plain Greek yogurt)
salsa

Combine all ingredients except sour cream and salsa. Pour into a deep dish pie plate that has been sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 until set (about 40 minutes). Top with salsa and a dollop of sour cream. nom

And because I concocted it, I don't have the calorie count but if you use the "better" ingredients you'll save a lot of fat and calories. leftovers are easily reheated in the microwave for breakfast or lunch.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote