3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Maintainers > Living Maintenance

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Our Favorite Recipes

Old 07-25-2008, 04:33 AM   #46
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default Spicy Green Beans and Sausage

This is my hands-down favorite way to use up a bumper crop of green beans.

Spicy Green Beans with Sausage
  • 16 oz turkey sausage
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 16 oz green beans
  • 10 oz carrots (or an additional 16 oz green beans, if you really like beans)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh sage
  • 1/4 tsp chile flakes or crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
  • 16 oz tomato sauce

Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Remove casings from sausage and add to skillet. Saute until browned.

Add olive oil, beans and carrots to skillet and saute until just tender.

Add garlic, sage, and chile flakes and saute a few minutes more.

Add white wine and chicken broth, scraping up an browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Cook until the wine and broth evaporates almost entirely.

Add tomato sauce, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until beans reach desired tenderness.

This makes 4 servings at about 300 calories each. 12g fat, 3g sat. fat, 24g carbs (7g fiber, 9g sugar), 21g protein.

My Before and After Pics

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." --H.L. Hunt

"Life has hills. Set the treadmill at an incline."
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #47

Default Strawberry Pie

Strawberry Pie

1-lg pkg ff/sf vanilla pudding
1-lg pkg ff/sf strawberry jello
3 cups water (not milk!)
24 oz strawberries.

Mix pudding and jello mixes into water. Bring water to a boil (I use the microwave to make it happen quicker). Pour into 13 X 9 pan. Add strawberries. Put in frig and let set. Enjoy! Yum Yum!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #48

Default Holiday Salad

Holiday Salad

1 head romaine letter (chopped)
1/3 c cashews (chopped)
1/3 c craisins
1 apple (chopped)
1 pear (chopped)
1/3 c. shredded swiss cheese

Mix all together.

Dressing:

Mix together:

1/8 c. smart balance oil (originally, this recipe called for 1 c; so I've been taking it lower and lower each time--this might be too low, though it's still quite good)
1/2 c. splenda (again, original recipe called for 1 c. sugar)
1/3 c. lemon juice
1 tsp. dijon mustard

Pour dressing over salad. It's great!

Note: I've played and played with this recipe. Originally, the items in the salad--cashews, craisins, and cheese--were all 1 cup each. I thought that was too many calories/fat, so I cut them down and down and down. I still continue to love the salad. The biggest problem is that I'd like to eat the whole thing at one sitting

Enjoy!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #49

Default Spicy Green Bean question

Barbara,

Your recipe for spicy green bean and sausage looks good. Can you suggest something I could use in place on the white wine?

Thanks!
Goal success
Old 08-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #50
Constant Vigilance

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsuccess View Post
Barbara,

Your recipe for spicy green bean and sausage looks good. Can you suggest something I could use in place on the white wine?

Thanks!
Goal success
I'd probably try red or white wine vinegar (or maybe even balsamic vinegar). Or you could try using all chicken broth.

It's not a lot of white wine, but I've never tried the recipe without it, so I can't say for sure how important the wine is to the flavor. The original recipe called for a whole cup of white wine (and no chicken broth) and I think it comes out great with the smaller amount of white wine, so it's possible it doesn't need the wine at all.

My Before and After Pics

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." --H.L. Hunt

Old 08-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #51

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Default Red Pepper Jelly

My Mom has made this recipe several times and gives away jars at Christmas. Everyone always raves about it.

Red Pepper Jelly

1 dozen large red bell peppers (wash & seed). Put through food chopper
- medium blade.

Add 1 Tbls. salt. Let stand overnight.

Next day drain well - pressing out all liquid.

Blend in blender with 2 cups white vinegar. Put in kettle. Add 3 cups sugar. Cook uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring often.

Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.

Makes 4 or 5 1/2 pint jars.

Serve with Philadelphia cream cheese on Ritz crackers.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
``•Allison•``
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)

“A Year from Now You May Wish You Had Started Today”~Karen Lamb
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #52
Working My Way Back Down

I made two recipes from the August issue of Cooking Light this weekend.

German Apple Pancake
Batter:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
1 cup egg substitute
1 cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Apple mixture:
Cooking spray
1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
1 cup thinly sliced Granny Smith apple

Remaining ingredient:
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Preparation
1. To prepare batter, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, salt, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine egg substitute, milk, butter, and vanilla in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add egg substitute mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 425°.

3. To prepare apple mixture, coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch ovenproof skillet with cooking spray. Combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg; sprinkle evenly over bottom and sides of pan. Arrange apple in an even spokelike layer in pan. Sprinkle apple with remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Slowly pour batter over apple mixture.

4. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375° (do not remove pancake from oven); bake an additional 13 minutes or until center is set. Carefully loosen pancake with a spatula. Gently slide pancake onto a serving platter. Sift powdered sugar over top. Cut into 6 wedges; serve immediately.

Yield
6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 173(28% from fat); FAT 5.4g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.9g); IRON 1.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 11mg; CALCIUM 101mg; CARBOHYDRATE 23.2g; SODIUM 213mg; PROTEIN 7.7g; FIBER 0.9g

Abby Mandel , Cooking Light, AUGUST 2008
German Apple Pancake

This was excellent, though I used 2 apples, and I made it in a pie plate.

Spicy Peanut Chicken over Rice
Ingredients
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
3 cups chopped plum tomato (about 6 tomatoes)
2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
8 cups hot cooked brown rice
3/4 cup 2% Greek-style yogurt (such as Fage)

Preparation
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring frequently. Stir in peanut butter and next 5 ingredients (through tomato paste); cook 1 minute. Add tomato and broth to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve chicken mixture over rice; top each serving with yogurt.
Yield
12 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup chicken mixture, 2/3 cup brown rice, and 1 tablespoon yogurt)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 340(20% from fat); FAT 7.6g (sat 1.6g,mono 3.1g,poly 2.2g); IRON 2.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 56mg; CALCIUM 59mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38g; SODIUM 523mg; PROTEIN 30g; FIBER 4.6g

Mary Cutrufello, Austin, TX , Cooking Light, AUGUST 2008

Spicy Peanut Chicken

I haven't eaten this for a meal, though I did taste and it was good. Oh, and I also cut it more or less into thirds. It does make a lot, and I'm not willing to do that until I'm sure I like it.

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #53
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I concocted my recipe after reading Pat's recipe here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...1&postcount=45
I didn't have it in front of me and couldn't remember it exactly. I had no time to go to the computer. So I kinda winged it. Completely didn't realize that Pat's *version* was not cooked. But, boy oh boy did it come out MARVELOUS. It was a huge hit with everyone. It is now a staple here at home. You MUST try it. I'll call it -

Zucchini Ribbons with Garlic & Lemon

-4 medium zucchini, peeled, discard the green outer layer. Then keep on peeling them, making ribbons.
-4 cloves garlic, crushed
-lemon juice to taste, about 2 tbsps.
-generous hit of black pepper, perhaps 1/3 of a tsp
-a pinch of salt
-a pinch or 2 of Mrs. Dash Tomato, Basil & Garlic

Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add the ribbons and saute for a minute or 2. Add the crushed garlic. Saute another minute or so. Add the juice and the spices. Saute for another minute or so. Can sprinkle with grated parmesean cheese if desired. Serve hot.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #54
Constant Vigilance

Default Favorite Sandwiches

Here are some of my favorite sandwiches (in addition to good old PB&J, my #1 favorite). All come in around 250 to 300 calories, depending on the bread that you use:
  • Turkey, Hummus, and Avocado: 2 oz lean smoked turkey on whole wheat with 1 oz hummus, 1 oz thinly sliced cucumber, 1 oz avocado or guacamole, Dijon mustard, and greens of your choice (micro greens, alfalfa sprouts, spinach, or cabbage are all great).
  • Smoked Salmon and Apricot Wrap: low carb wrap spread with 2 tbsp nonfat cream cheese, 2 oz smoked salmon, 1 oz thinly sliced cucumber, spinach, and a broiled apricot (a nectarine or a peach also works well). Or try sun-dried tomatoes instead of the fruit.
  • Eggplant and Chicken Pita: 3 oz roasted eggplant, 2 oz grilled chicken breast, 2 oz halved cherry tomatoes, arugula or basil, 1 oz goat cheese or light feta, and Dijon mustard in a whole wheat pita.
  • Turkey, Cheese, and Grilled Onions: 2 oz lean smoked turkey with 1 oz sauteed onions, 1 oz sauteed red pepper (or roasted red pepper), reduced fat cheddar cheese, and spinach on whole wheat. Compose sandwich, then spray bread with cooking spray and grill until lightly toasted and cheese is melty.
  • Tuna Melt: 1/2 can tuna mixed with 1 tbsp fat free mayo, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, and 1/2 oz red onions. Form into a patty and saute in skillet until browned, flipping half way through. Remove from skillet. Saute 2 oz thinly sliced zucchini in skillet. Serve on whole wheat English muffin with 1 oz light feta or reduced fat cheddar and spinach.
  • Spicy Peanut Turkey Wrap: 2 oz smoked turkey, 1 tbsp peanut butter, and Spicy Cabbage Slaw (I leave out the peanuts, since I'm putting PB on the sandwich, and I leave out the tomatoes because they'll get soggy if you don't eat all the slaw right away) in a low carb wrap.

My Before and After Pics

Old 09-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #55
3 + years maintaining

This reminded me of Mandalinn and how she likes to make individual desserts. Great for portion control. With the Jewish New Year coming up, apples are a BIG thing, I thought this would be perfect. I'm going to try and get the calorie count down a bit, and do away with some of the margarine, add in some cooking spray instead.

Individual Oatmeal Apple Crumble
Makes 4 servings at appox 100 calories each

Ingredients
2 medium Rome apples
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cold unsalted margarine, cut into bits
Special equipment: 4 (1/3-cup) round shallow ceramic baking dishes Ramekins
Preparation
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
Peel and halve apples, then core (preferably with a melon-ball cutter). Cut apples into thin slices and toss with lemon juice and 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a bowl.
Divide apples among baking dishes, overlapping slices, and sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon water.
Bake on a baking sheet until apples are crisp-tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir together oats, cinnamon, salt, and remaining tablespoon brown sugar in a bowl until combined. Rub margarine into oat mixture for topping until evenly distributed.
Sprinkle topping over apples and bake until topping is golden, 25 to 30 minutes more. Transfer dishes to a rack to cool at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Beets with Mandarin Oranges

makes 5 servings @ appox. 115 calories each

1/4 cup white sugar (or Splenda)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 (15 ounce) can sliced beets, drained
1 (15 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained

1. Whisk together sugar, vinegar, apple pie spice, and cornstarch in a large, microwave safe bowl until combined.

2. Cook in microwave on High until the mixture is boiling and has thickened, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Stir the drained beets and mandarin orange segments into the thickened sauce. Allow the beets to reheat in the sauce, do not microwave further, or the mandarin oranges will come apart. Serve either warm or cold.

Zesty Chicken with Corn Salsa

4 servings at appox 230 calories each

2 teaspoons chili powder
2teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
Cooking ‘spray
1 can (7 oz) whole kernel sweet corn, drained
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 small cucumber, seeded and chopped
1/2cup red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

1.In cup, combine chili powder, brown sugar and cumin. Rub both sides of chicken breasts with the spice mixture.

2.In large skillet, or grill top heat cooking spray over medium heat. Cook chicken I appox 12 minutes, turning occasionally, .

3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together corn, red pepper, cucumber, kidney beans, lime juice and salt.

4.Evenly divide corn salsa onto 4 plates. Top each with a chicken breast.

Sweet Potatoes and Butternut Squash
1 pound acorn or butternut squash
1 pound sweet potatoes or yams
1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°. Peel the squash.

Peel the sweet potatoes or yams. Then cut both the sweet potatoes and squash into 1-inch cubes. Generously spray a pan with cooking spray. Add the sweet potatoes, spraying the potatoes with more cooking spray and bake, covered with aluminum foil, about 20 minutes.

Take out the hot dish from the oven and remove the foil.

: Add the squash and the cranberries or cherries. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on top and spray once again with the cooking spray.

Bake uncovered at 375° for 30-35 minutes, or until well browned.

Makes 6 servings at appox 120 calories each

Last edited by rockinrobin : 09-14-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 AM   #56
Constant Vigilance

Default Favorite Sauces for Fish

Here are some great sauces for fish that I've been meaning to post:

Sweet Pea Cream
4 oz green onions, sliced thinly
3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
2 cups peas (frozen is fine)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup fat free half and half
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped

Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high. Add onions to pan an saute briefly, until slightly soft. Add garlic and saute another minute more. Add peas and saute another minute. And broth and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook for a couple of minutes (4 minutes for fresh peas), until peas are thoroughly heated and soft.

Transfer mixture to a food processor and puree. At this point, the recipe says to strain the solids and discard, but I never bother with this. I like the solids.

Stir in FF half and half and dill.

Makes 4 very generous servings at 80 calories each. This recipe would easily make enough for 8 servings. It also work work well with chicken.

Cilantro Butter
2 tbsp light butter
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp paprika (smoked, if you have it)
1/8 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mash together.

Makes 4 servings at 30 calories each (assuming the butter you use is about 50 calories per tbsp).

Asian Avocado Salsa
Just when I was about to cancel my subscription to the Epicurious weekly recipe email, they come through with this fabulous, low calorie, and healthy recipe! Guess I'll keep the subscription after all.

1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
4.5 oz avocado (about 1 Hass avocado)
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tbsp mirin
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp wasabi paste
1 oz watercress, arugula, or mustard greens, chopped into very small pieces
1 oz green onions, sliced thinly
1.5 oz jicama, diced very small

Toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat. Keep a close eye on them, they'll go from toasted to burnt in a split second.

Mash the avocado in a bowl. Add sesame seeds and vinegar through wasabi paste. Mix well. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Makes 4 servings at about 90 calories each.

Creamy Chipotle Tartar Sauce
1/3 cup nonfat yogurt
1/3 fat free mayo
1 tbsp sweet pickle relish
2 tsp capers
1-2 tsp chipotle chile in Adobo sauce, finely chopped

Mix all ingredients together.

Makes 8 servings (note, that's eight servings) at about 15 calories each.

My Before and After Pics

Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #57
3 + years maintaining

I just got this emailed to me. Maybe from Prevention? Not sure. Sounds really, REALLY good, especially with the holidays on the horizon:

SPICY PUMPKIN MOUSSE with MINI-CHOCOLATE CHIPS

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 0 mins
Total Time: 1 hrs 15 mins
Serves: 4 at about 229 calories each
Ingredients
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
1/4 C pure maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 C frozen fat free whipped topping, thawed
1/4 C semisweet mini chocolate chips

In large bowl, combine pumpkin, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Gently fold in whipped topping until blended. Transfer to 4 individual serving bowls and top with chocolate chips. Chill 1 hour or longer before serving.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #58
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

is whipped topping (you mean like FF cool whip?) non-dairy?

Calorie Counting Back to Maintenance Weight
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #59
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
is whipped topping (you mean like FF cool whip?) non-dairy?
Yes, I think they mean FF Cool Whip and I believe it is a dairy product.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #60
Constant Vigilance

Default Coq Au Vin

This comes a great and is easier to prepare than you would think from the fancy French name (and a lot lower in calories than the traditional recipe). And the leftovers taste even better the next day!

Coq Au Vin
2 tbsp olive oil
2 lbs chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups carrots, diced
10 oz mushrooms, sliced (sub 1 cup of diced celery if you don't like mushrooms)
8 oz turkey kielbasa
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup red wine
14 oz diced tomatoes
10 oz pearl onions, blanched and peeled
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water

In a dutch oven or large saucepan, saute chicken in 1 tbsp olive oil until browned.

Add remaining tbsp olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, and turkey kielbasa. Saute, stirring frequently, until onion is just tender.

Add remaining ingredients through pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.

Combine flour and water, then stir into the stew. Cook for 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Discard bay leaf and serve.

Note: To peal the pearl onions, place them in boiling water for 3 min, drain and then rinse with cold water. Then you can cut the end of each onion and easily pop it out of its skin.

Makes 6 servings, 350 calories per serving, 12g fat, 22g carbs (3g fiber), 39g protein.

My Before and After Pics

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.