Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/156/140

Height: 5'10ish

Default Really struggling, need a little support

Hi everyone, I've been maintaining my weight for about 5 months now, give or take a few pounds and although I'm not necessarily trying to "lose" weight I am trying to get into better shape. I have been trying really hard to only eat 3 decent (actually really healthy) meals because I'm an overeater and feel this is really the best way for me and I'm doing relatively well on it. My problem is my workouts lately. I usually run/fast walk 30-40 minutes each night and then do some pilates toning exercises afterward along with sit-ups. So I'd say my workouts are about 70 minutes a day. Anyway, my question is do you ever feel like just NOT working out? Do you ever feel really sluggish during your workout...like you just can't get going? I usually do my workouts at night about an hour after dinner and when my two toddlers are asleep, I like this because it's not taking away from family time and I'm a night eater so I don't eat if I've worked out. Anyway, this has just started happening this week and I don't know how to get out of it...I feel like I'm in a rut, and my sugar cravings have hit the roof. I've tried keeping them at bay by eating little servings of sugar/fat free pudding with free cool whip, and it does seem to help a little. Right now though I'm sitting here at work with cookies staring at me in the face, I'm not eating them, but I'm definitley on the edge here. Help!!
JamieY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Boy, it sounds like you've got workout burnout. I often feel like not working out, as I would much rather be doing something other than exercising, but usually once I suck it up and go for it, I consider it a little victory. And yes, there are times I feel sluggish during a workout and it really stinks. I'll try to put my finger on it and think, "Hmm, what the heck is different about today that is making me have to drag myself around the gym?" but often times, theres no clear reason.
If you think consuming some caffeine after dinner won't keep you up at night, I suggest drinking a cup of coffee prior to your workout. I perform better when doing cardio with a bit of caffeine in my system; studies support this. It may serve to get you riled up for a strong walk/run. In addition, how about dedicating two or three nights to weightlifting? I applaud you for engaging in cardio every session but done properly, weightlifting will give you the same heart-healthy benefits. (Not to mention, build muscle to aid in calorie burn.) Then on the remaining days, try to push yourself hard when doing the treadmill work.
I can relate to overeating - I have mastered this skill . I find that deprivation or substitution does not work for me, though; if I'm having a sugar craving, I go ahead and consume sugar (as opposed to a product containing a sugar substitute). I do sometimes overeat but I feel my craving gets satisfied. I certainly don't want to condone this, and if you are afraid you might be triggered then don't try this: ony you know your next move.
Take care to give yourself a bit of a break, though, somewhere, so that you can ensure you stick to this healthy way of life you've adopted. Now, go drink a cup of coffee!

Last edited by fatburner77; 01-10-2008 at 07:30 PM.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #3  

Thank you for responding! I do dring some coffee or tea before my workout, trust me, after running after a 3 year old and a 1 year old all day I need a pick me up or else I'll pass out on the couch after they go to bed. I'm definitley going to take your advice on the weights, I'll try that tonight. Do you have any suggestions on how many reps or how many sets I should do? I only have two pairs of dumbbells, one pair is 5 lbs and the other is 8 lbs. I'm not very strong so the 8 lbs are a pretty good weight for me to lift. Today has been horrible for me, every time I turn around something is staring me in the face and telling me to eat it. I'm having a hard time resisting.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

To get an idea of how many reps and sets you might do, take a look in the "fitness" forum under "weight and resistance training" -- there you'll find a sticky with some ideas about basic bodybuilding. I don't want to offer up advice for lifting, as I'm not trained to do so, but do take your time and use proper form so as to avoid injury. I am not sure how much lifting you've done previously but certainly try doing chest press, shoulder press, bicep curls and/or lateral raises. The internet produces some pretty straightforward explanations of these moves (with diagrams) if you search for "dumbbell exercises." Don't overdo it tonight, though, or you'll really ache reaching for those babies tomorrow! By the way, I just had a cup of General Foods International Coffee, and it sort of hit the spot to satisfy my sweet tooth. I too am trying to avoid all the naughty stuff!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #5  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Just a thought....sometimes my normal workout is much harder than other times. DH insists that it comes down to what I've eaten...a particularly heavy meal or a meal with no carbs at all can make things difficult for me!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

And sometimes you just need to take a rest day! Seriously.

It sounds like you're getting burned out by doing the same thing all the time, so something like weight lifting will be a good change. There are lots of places to look for ideas on how to begin - both here at 3FC and all over the internet.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #7  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I have no idea how other people's bodies react to hormones, but I know that twice a month I have problems exactly like the ones you have mentioned above. It is actually worse around ovulation than during my period. There have been times where I almost cried because I was forcing myself to exercise and I simply didn't have the strength to do it. I have learnt that on a few days a month I have to pay attention to my body and just let it have its rest. I feel much better since I made this decision. This feeling usually passes after a few days for me and I am then amazed at how energetic I feel afterwards. It is almost as though I have been re-energised. This could be due to either the rest from exercise, or that my hormones have settled down again.

Just something to think about.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #8  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieY View Post
after running after a 3 year old and a 1 year old all day I need a pick me up or else I'll pass out on the couch after they go to bed.
I'd say, once in a while, go to bed yourself straight after they go to bed and pass out there. You need rest and that will give you the strength to exercise and eat well the next day. Or the day after that.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 AM   #9  

Hi jamie,

How you find the energy to care for 2 small kids & have a job & work out 70 mins each night is beyond me.

I go with the others...give it a rest. The BFL program allows you one rest day each week, other take a rest & change the exercise program like every 6 weeks. I don't know for how long you have been doing the routine you described above, but it might just be that you need a break.

OTOH...you ask "Do you ever feel like just NOT working out?" My answer is yes, all the time. But I quit thinking about that some time ago. I'm now just trying to do it, not think if I feel like it.

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #10  

I'm going to agree 100% with Silverbirch. You need to make sure you are getting enough rest. Exercise is great, but if you are in serious need of sleep (instead of just dragging a little), get some sleep. Everyone is different, but I crave sugary stuff, like to the extent of involuntarily inhaling every granola bar in the house, and this correlation between fatigue and cravings became crystal clear when my DD was new.

Don't stop exercising, but take a rest day or two, or cut it back to 30 minutes a couple days and get some sleep if you need it. Mixing things up with your exercise will also help prevent fatigue by not emphasizing the same muscle groups two days in a row.

When I don't feel like working out, and I'm scheduled to, I have a 20 minute deal. After 20 minutes, if I still want to, I can quit and feel completely good that I've done my duty. I rarely use the out, but when I do, it is a wonderful thing.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #11  
Chuggin' along...

Jamie, I agree, if you are not getting enough sleep, well... get some more! lol. Go to bed early instead of working out 1 or 2 nights a week. I also find that when I am craving junk, it is when I'm sleep deprived. I have many, many fewer control problems when I'm well rested. I also try to do different types of exercise to keep me interested. Like Anne, I have a "deal" (mine's 30 minutes). If I don't want to go to the gym, I go for 30 min. and if I still want to leave I can. Usually I end up doing my full workout and feel all the better for it. I also notice that if I haven't had enough protein in the last day and/or I'm lacking iron I am more sluggish. Good luck!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #12  

Thank you girls so much!! I ended up not working out the day I posted this post because I was just too tired. So after the kids went to bed I sat on the couch and relaxed and went to bed at 10 o'clock. I usually go to bed at a decent time, but my 1 year old still wakes up a few times a night and so I am up and down a lot. I worked out with weights last night, not too hard by the way. I'm a little bit sore today, but not too bad at all. I have also been trying to eat more protein.

-Zelma, I think you hit it right on the nose for me, I'm ovulating right now and I think that's most of the problem...I just needed some validation on the subject. When I think about it, I'm always sluggish and have cravings during ovulaion, but not my period? Weird.

-Rabbit, I did the BFL program about 4 years ago before I had kids and it's a great program. I also did it off and on after kids and it really helped me get back in shape.

-Fatburner, I'll have to try that coffee, where do you get it? I love coffee, I'm kind of an addict.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses you guys have helped me feel a lot better about it.