Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Smile

Hey everyone! I've been a bit behind on posting here, but I had a great weekend that involved go kart racing one day and pseudo rock climbing the next, where a couple pictures were taken. Yeah, I was really, really excited to climb that rock:
Attachment 27653
Attachment 27650 Attachment 27651

Speaking of pictures, I finally got around to scanning my driver's license one, since I know some of ya'll were curious:
Attachment 27652

I think I might be spending Thanksgiving alone, which kind of sucks. Maybe I'll order Chinese food. I've been kicking butt at my clean eating, despite having a little Cold Stone yesterday. I was actually proud of myself for eating less than half (I'd say 1/3 or 1/4) of a "Like It" container; the FAT me would attempt devouring an entire pint (I never succeeded because the girlfriend wouldn't let me)! I skipped work today because I got a web design gig. Those are nice; when I get them, I make just as much (if not more) money with one project as I do in a whole WEEK at my day job, though I also used more brain cells today than I have in months - it evens out, I suppose

Pacergal, I suppose Atlanta Bakery Box is kind of like Atlanta Bread Company? *drools* Don't feel too bad... I ate a fairly large piece of raspberry danish there last week. It was delicious, but I kept thinking, "I just wanted 600 calories on that... thing...full of sugar and fat" and guilt tripping myself throughout the day.

Megan, the way to a girl's heart (or panties), OF COURSE, is to mention her ROOMMATE! I'm sure he thinks you're hot too.

Sheila, AWESOME NSV!! You worked hard for that great body, be proud.

paperclippy, what you should do is avoid the scale for a whole week and still stay on plan. Seriously. By the time you wait a week and step back on it, you will either weigh the same or weigh less. And remember, licking the bowl "doesn't count" towards your daily calorie count - neither does free food or anything organic Just kidding, of course!

Meg - @ the turkeys! You're in NM right now and I'm sure you're having an awesome time... I can't wait to see pictures of your DD's wedding! You know, you can have a Thanksgiving feast any time of the year. Infact, one of my friends has one every Sunday!

Kery, NaNoWriMo!!! I knew some people who participated in that. I thought about it, but I've never written a novel in my life or even close. I get these supposedly brilliant ideas but have no way to connect them together or carry them out past the first few chapters. I stick with songs, poetry, and short stories, instead, for that reason. I think you must either be clinically insane to participate in it or just... really... really... talented.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 01-17-2008 at 12:28 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #17  
Working My Way Back Down

Howy all! Just discovered I had no keyboard for awhile there - guess the IT guy must have hit the plug when he installed my new printer.

Jessica - my DH LOVED that pear/cranberry pie! I made it without the bottom crust, as sort of crumble or crisp. I found it a little too tart, but that's okay, I don't need to eat it anyway. I agree with Shane - stay away from the scale for a week.

Meg - for a great wedding day for your DD. Enjoy NM! We ate T'day dinner in restaurants for many years. We'd take the whole week off and travel somewhere, usually in the Pac NW, though to CA a couple times too. The best restaurant T'day meal we had was at an old hotel on the Columbia River Gorge, near Hood River, OR. It was a "set" dinner of about 6-8 courses. The whole experience was wonderful.

So we got about 3-5" more snow yesterday, and it was 10 this morning. Definitely winter. I need some new boots. I have great "play outside" boots, and a pair of warm, shoe height ones, but nothing suitable for just going back and forth to work once it gets much deeper. I remember - now - that I got rid of my old ones at the end of last winter. Sigh, why didn't I remember it before it snowed.

Shane - a good driver's license picture! How did you manage that??? When do you find out about your new job?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Hey everyone! Just stopping by to do a quick post. I promise to catch up on what's going on with you guys and respond to everyone!

Today was a pretty sad day at school, after the tragic death of one of our students this past weekend in a car accident. Her 17th birthday is Wednesday, and we're all at a loss as to how to process this. I need to write something in a sympathy card for her parents, and I just can't imagine what I could possibly say.

I'm trying hard to stay on plan and I'm planning to overindulge just at Thanksgiving dinner and at NO OTHER TIME while I'm at my mom's house. I'm notorious for going to my hometown and gaining like 5-10 pounds in a few days. I REFUSE to do that this time. REFUSE!!!

Ok, I'm off to grade papers...
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi all!

Shane, cute pictures!! I've been wanting to take up rock climbing. There's a pretty big climbing wall at my college and one of my friends instructs the undergrads and goes on lots of climbing trips. When Spring returns, I think I might get him to show me how it all works. I think it would be really fun!

Lisa, it's bad news about the student. I don't envy the task of writing a note to the parents, either.

I know what you mean about the hometown weight gain bit. We're going to be staying at bf's mom's house for a few days this week. Staying with her is ALWAYS a huge food challenge because she loves to eat out and to overeat (as do I, truth be told). She's a widow and most of her friends are married, so when we come to visit she views it as an opportunity to go out to eat, ALOT. Often more than once in one day!!! I always am completely sick of food when I leave there, and usually suffering from some GI distress, too. I'm going to bring my running shoes along and do some running each morning to offset whatever food disasters lie in store.

baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #20  
The Pink Champagne

S/C/G: 165/114/110

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone! I hope you all had great weekends. I had a job interview in Atlanta today---I should hear something within the next couple of weeks.

Chatty group!! I need to catch up...but have a great Tuesday!
DGAdDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #21  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Good morning everyone! Let's post before the load of work today engulfs me in.

Midwife -- To be honest, I failed at NaNo last year, so this year I joined convinced I'd fail again (but at least, then I'd fail in sheer fun, not being miserable). It turned out things are going much, much better, not having to deal this year with busy week-ends and a break-up. It's pretty weird; I was planning to fail, but even if I don't reach the 50k mark, I still won't have failed because I DID something. Huh, why isn't it like this with weight management?

Jessica -- Maybe you need 1-2 more weeks for your efforts to finally be seen? I know it can happen, sometimes the body doesn't register everything straight away... or something like this.

Sheila -- That's a wonderful NSV! It's really not easy to have a great body, no matter the weight itself, so this is really a victory IMHO. Perhaps even a greater one than "just" losing? (No offense meant to anyone, of course!)

Shane -- I'm probably more insance than talented. But since having stories/novels published is one of my childhood dreams, it's also a way for me to push myself and just do it--else it'd be just like any other old diet, "I'll start my diet the next time the 1st of the month falls on a Monday, so that it's perfect", and then you never get to do it because there's always work, homework, family stuff, etc. to take care of. After all, I'm already 28, so am I supposed to wait until I'm 90 or something?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 AM   #22  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, maintainers!

I'm supposed to pick up our turkey this morning. There's nothing like the arrival of a 20 lb turkey in a modest-sized fridge to scream out: "T-day alert! T-day alert!" This one is fresh, organic, cage-free, free-range, and most likely transported to the market in a Prius.

Speaking of Priuses (Priusi?), our T-day weekend will likely consist of... car shopping. Our sole car, a much-loved and well-traveled 1990 Toyota station wagon, is hanging onto life by a thread ... not to mention copious amounts of duct tape. Two weeks ago the alternator kicked, as luck would have it as I was on the way to pick a job candidate up from the airport. We fixed it, at the cost of $350. Then, two days ago (again right before I was supposed to ferry a job candidate around) the exhaust manifold done did up and discombobulate itself from the rest of the ve-hickle. I don't think we're going to invest in this repair, because at this rate, it'd be cheaper just to rent a car!

High ho, high ho,
It's off to the lot we go.
We work all day
so we can pay,
our monthly auto bill.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #23  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi there everyone. I am waaay behind on posts. Not only have I been incredibly busy, but I lost half the electricity in my house yesterday, including my office and therefore my computer. I turned on my dining room light and 1/2 the house lost power. Didn't get an electrician in for hours and hours. I was at the gym/work already at this point. They finally located the problem, but left a mess of my house. They had to go up to the attic, which is really a filthy horrible unusable crawl space. There's a mess everywhere. Whatever. So, I'm behind in reading and posting - oh and just about everything else you can imagine and I don't see myself catching up with any of it, anytime soon. But I just wanted to say hi - so here goes - HI!!!!

I just want to add, I am very, very nervous about Thanksgiving. Last year it didn't phase me one bit - this year is another story. Gotta run. Have a great day.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #24  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I just have to report a great NSV . . . Last night, I made persimmon pudding for DH, and I DID NOT LICK THE BOWL!!!!!!! WOOHOO! Admittedly part of the reason is that a friend recently got salmonella poisoning from eating batter that had raw eggs in it and the eggs were bad (although I have been eating dough with raw eggs in it my whole life and I've never gotten sick), and part is that persimmon pudding is far from being my favorite dessert. But still, I didn't lick the bowl OR the spoon! Just my fingers.

Shane and Pat - Whenever I stay away from the scale for a week, I seem to gain weight. I feel like if I don't see the number every morning I somehow take it as a sign that I don't have to watch what I'm eating. I do keep track of my weights and count Fridays as my "official" weight though. Going by that my weight the past three weeks was 135.6, 136.4, 136.4 which is holding pretty steady. Also according to my calculations my average daily calorie intake (starting from 10/24 to yesterday) is 1738, with 4-6 days of exercise per week. Maybe if I can get it below 1600 I'll start losing again? Maybe it's my body going into winter storage mode.

Shane - the DL pic is cute!!

Pat - ...and I thought Indiana was cold! I guess you can get a good workout shoveling all that snow out of the driveway.

Lisa - That is so sad about your student. I am really bad at writing sympathy cards, all I can ever come up with is "I'm so sorry for your loss" but it never feels like enough.

Kim - Are the organic free-range turkeys good? I heard the meat is tougher because they haven't been stuffed with fattening foods like the other turkeys. I have always thought maybe if I was cooking T-day dinner I would get a free-range turkey but I have never had the opportunity.

Robin - That sucks about your power!

Last night we came home instead of going to the gym so I'd have time for cooking the persimmon pudding, so once I got it in the oven we did a Tae Bo DVD. I went and bought a bunch of workout DVDs this weekend, so this was our first attempt at my resolution of doing workout DVDs if for some reason I can't go to the gym. It was quite a workout! The only problem is that there were a lot of knee-twisting moves, which makes my knees unhappy. In any case I also bought pilates, tai chi, and latin dance DVDs so I have some variety. Today we're planning to go to the gym, but tomorrow through Friday will be home workouts thanks to cooking Wednesday, the gym being closed Thursday, and the fact that we are off work Friday so we have no reason to go to the neighborhood our gym is in.

Last edited by paperclippy; 11-20-2007 at 09:24 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #25  
Chuggin' along...

Jessica, well, even if fear of salmonella was the cause, good job not licking the bowl! My sis's BF (now hubby) made her promise once not to eat raw dough for fear of salmonella for a whole year. We would make cookies and things and I was so mean - I'd say "You want to lick the - oh wait. Well, I'll have to do it myself." I love chocolate chip cookie dough! She does, too, which is why she finally told DH that she can't keep that promise anymore.

Robin, ugh, sorry the workmen left your house in such a mess.

Kim, sounds like your car has been through it. Have fun picking out a new one!

LisaMarie, how tragic and sad about the student passing.

Pat, stay warm!

Shane, great pictures (all of them!). You always post such great photos. I wish I could, but I'm on the computer at work, and we have a firewall against photobucket and sites like that. Could you spend turkey day with friends? Or use your day alone to indulge in something you don't get time to do by yourself - take a nice bubble bath or a scenic bike ride or something. Have a happy t-day!

I'm heating up my sweet potato and apple bake to take to the office thanksgiving lunch (it will be hosted at someone's house, not here at work). I'm trying to take a middle route this year - enjoy reasonable portions of my favorites, but listen to my body and stop when I'm full.

I went to the gym yesterday and it felt sooo good to work out that I did a little too much and my foot hurts this morning. Oops. Back to the stationary cycle this afternoon. I can't wait to get this stupid thing out of my foot - total fitness boot camp in December! (Yup, I'm actually excited about it.)

Happy...turkey day run-up (?) everyone! And hello to everyone else out there!

Last edited by Megan1982; 11-20-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #26  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Please bear with me, or feel free to stop reading right here. I just need to vent and let it out, lest it causes me to turn to fricking stupid junk food again before dinner.

I just got off the phone with my mother, who's still in hospital and won't be out soon, it seems. The docs didn't find other blood clots except the one in her leg, but they told her she has 'emphysema', and they also suspect a pericarditis. Of course, silly me had to go look all that crap up on websites after I hung up, and now I'm so completely frantic it's not even funny. She's also due for other exams, including some mini-camera in her lungs to see what's there, and abdominal echography. Joy. The only comfort is that she's at least surrounded by medical personnel now, and not at home refusing to go to a doctor in spite of worrying symptoms or something. (Yeah, I guess it's not so seldom that being obese also means not liking going to the doc? I know I wasn't too keen on going myself, knowing that I'd get a lecture about losing weight all the time...)

Voilą, rant over. Sorry for that. Again, I just feel so powerless, and don't know what the heck I can do.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #27  

Kery,

How awfull about your mum! I hope stuff gets better soon.

Hi to everyone else, just zooming by and momentarily de-lurking.
I have been so busy and I am so tired that I have to report no progress at all last week ...no exercise, no good food wise. but i did clean my house and even tough i was too tired to go to power today, I biked to work.

Jessica - I have that a lot...get in a really good week or vocouplke of weeks, and nothing happens, and then all of a sudden I do get some weight loss. It is like the body needs to get over a treshold or something. Just keep it up.

Hi to everyone,

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #28  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I caught up reading all the posts, but can't remember who said what, so I'll just say HI and hope everyone is doing well.

I spent yesterday taking Shelbey to the Airport in Tulsa, OK. and I managed to get lost and driving an extra 77 miles on my way home. I was sure thankful when I found a convenience store and the clerk said the "you're going the wrong way" thing. I was headed for Joplin,MO when where I wanted to head was to Ft. Smith AR. I fullly admit I am directionally impaired. If I ever buy another new vehicle it will have a GPS tracking system. LOL.

My cough is still lingering and my exercise is NIL, eating not much better. I actually dread the food temptations of Thanksgiving cause I'm doing poorly right now without a buffet of desserts.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lisa~the death of a child is always tragic. We had 3 high school seniors killed in a single car accident a month or so ago. They were 3 of 18 at a private high school here. And just a couple of days ago, a 13 year old girl was killed in a hit and run accident as she walked to school. There are websites and books that can help you form your thoughts into something comforting for the parents.

Kery~I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm dealing with a possible problem myself. My sister, who has had JD since she was 12 (44 years now) fell and broke her ankle and it had to be set with a plate and screws. It was healing just fine but yesterday she went for a checkup and was referred to 3 other doctors because the incision is now infected. Today she sees a vascular surgeon to see if he can help with her blood flow and if not, she may face amputation. She normally comes here for Thanksgiving, but due to the injury, she is home in Texas and is sad and lonely.

robin~sorry your electrician left you a mess to clean up.

I just got back from taking my car in for repairs. Its getting cooler here and my heater isn't working and this morning, the engine started overheating. Something is wrong! I'm off at noon today to get cooking for T-Day!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #30  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Wow! You guys always have so much going on!!! What a great DL pix Shane! Kery...try to stay away from those sites on medical conditions if you can help it...it will send you into a panic every time! Trust me...been there...done that...got SEVERAL tshirts!

I don't have a lot of time this morning...I am going to the gym for my first yoga class today...well...not my first yoga class ever...just my first class here...I hope I like the instructor, that always makes such a huge difference. I am going to do a workout on the ArcTrainer before class so my muscles are all warmed up nice. I have alot of errands to run as well so I have a pretty busy day ahead...but worth it.

Eating has been really good the last few days...exercise has been great...just in time to be de railed by Thanksgiving! We are going to spend the day with friends...I don't plan on going to crazy...we'll have to wait and see what actually happens. And we aren't going over until about 1 so it will give me plenty of time to workout before hand. Business as usual!

Hi Everybody!! Hope you all have a great Holiday!!!
Ravengirl is offline   Reply With Quote