Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #16  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I am in serious panic mode now. I havent slept more than 20 minutes at a stretch in 2 days. I havent had insomnia like this in years. The kicker is on Friday I am running Hood-to-Coast which is a 200 mile relay race and I will not get ANY sleep at all from Friday Morning to Saturday night.

I got my baby to go back to bed this morning (he's had insomnia too) and I still cant sleep.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Mel, I know it sounds a bit cruel, but you had to be there. It was said really lightly. Besides, I just couldn't help myself. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? Pills? I mean come on now. If there were pills that could have done the trick so to speak, don't people realize I (and millions of others) would have used them years ago?

Sweet Amor, I have been keeping my calories REAL low all week, but this weekend was really bad. And I am up about 4 lbs over my ticker weight. It stops now. I am not happy and I am not enjoying myself and this is NOT how I intended maintenance to be and I have given myself a swift talking to and it's over. My weekend splurges are done, finitio. One weekend is one thing, but it's been MANY weekends in a row for me. I knew the summer and all my away weekends would be difficult. I actually gave myself PERMISSION to overeat and therein lies the trouble. It was a BIG MISTAKE. I'm going away this coming weekend as well. I need to go back to my old LOSING ways. Which is not allowing ANY treats or extra calories in whatsoever.

Ennay, I feel for you. I can't imagine what you must be feeling like. I hope it resolves itself quickly for you. Good luck with the race.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Ennay, that sounds terrible! Are you allowed to take a sleeping pill?

I feel as though I deserve a medal today. It's not quite 8:30 and I've already been to the gym, showered and had breakfast. I'm at least 2 hours ahead of my usual schedule

I think I've contracted Carolyn-itis: I weighed myself this morning and was 139.6. My weight is only official on Fridays, so it doesn't count, but I am surprised that I'm still losing a little bit. It might also be that I weighed myself much earlier than I usually do also. Bodies are funny things.

Have a good day everyone! I'm off to new professor camp again this morning...Good times. Yesterday they served us yucky fake mexican food for lunch. I made a small burrito with beans, rice, beef and some pico and I'm sure it had a silly number of calories in it. I was starving two hours later and had to eat the soup I'd brought for my emergency lunch. I'm hoping today they'll have a salad or some soup or something. I need lots of veggies to fill me up and keep me that way.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Well, feeling better today. I don't know quite what happened yesterday, but it was all over within an hour. I guess the Advil kicked in and that's what helped.

I ran the final day of week 4 in the C25K this morning. It was hard but I made it. The real kicker will be week 5.

Oh, here's some good news! I'm down to 144 this morning! But what is really weird is that my pants are tight. What's up with that? Could it be water retention due to TOM? If that's the case, more weight should be coming off soon! AND I had to run to the store yesterday after work to pick up a couple ingredients for the white chicken chili I was fixing for dinner (and some pumpernickel bread to go with it--yum!) and DS wanted some Chips Ahoy cookies for his lunch (he's in day camp this week). Well, that darn cookie aisle was a tough one! I ended up buying some cookies for me--something I'd never seen before (although still horribly processed). They are Honey Maid (you know, the graham cracker folks) Oatmeal Raisin cookies. 3 for 150 calories, so I figured I can have 2 for 100 calories and that will fit in nicely with my "budget". So I bought them, came home and made the chili, had a nice dinner and at 9 PM, DS asked if I wanted dessert and I said "no!" I'm proud of myself! I didn't even pack any for my lunch today!!! I imagine that if I ignore them long enough they'll disappear just like the Oreos from last week (that sat all week without my touching them--yesterday I went to pack some for DS's lunch and there were only 4 left). I love how junk food disappears without my eating it!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #20  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi ladies, thanks for the well wishes. I am feeling a little better this morning. I got plenty of sleep last night and don't feel quite so run down this morning. I'm having my coffee now, that always helps.

Yesterday evening the kids helped with the mowing and we got it all done.

This is crazy but this weekend we'll be shopping for a new truck for DH. We had planned to wait 6 months before buying him a new one. But, Shane wants to buy Victor's jeep off of him. Shane's jeep is messing up and he wants Victor to use it as a trade in and just get rid of it. It's funny here that everyone's car is in the wrong name. LOL. My new car was purchased in DH's name. Victors jeep that is now becoming Shane's jeep is in my name. The new truck for Victor will be purchased in Shanes name. We have just one insurance policy that covers all of us drivers on our camper, boat, and all 3 vehicles. LOL. At least I never worry that Shane won't make his payment, he's very responsible in that manner. (The reason we had planned on trading off Victor's jeep in 6 months was so that we could get a truck to be able to pull the boat with it). Previously we had pulled the boat with my Expedition and Vic's jeep only has a V-6 engine and not really enough power to pull the boat. Anyways we're gonna get Vic a V-8 single cab truck to pull the boat with. Compared to what he's paying on his Jeep, I'm sure his payment will go down. But, I'm sure the state tax commision will make a killing off us next month with the purchase of 2 new vehicles.

I asked Shane why he didn't want to just trade his own jeep for a new car for himself. He said cause "dad's jeep is awesome and the girls love it". Go figure. Personally I hate to drive either of their jeeps cause they're all souped up with the big lift kits and it practically takes a leap or a step ladder to get into them. Plus they have standard transmissions. Try getting into one of them in a dress or skirt and you'll flash the whole neighborhood. LOL

BTW, I love my new little car. So, I'm staying out of this car trading deal. They can do whatever they want. I got what I wanted. LOL.

ennay, I hope you are able to get some sleep soon. My whole body feels yucky when I have trouble sleeping. I sometimes will take a nighttime sleep med. to help.

Allison, WTG on not diving into the cookies. I wish I could say the same about the cookies last night for me.

I'm seriously back on track today after a weekend of sloppy eating.

Last edited by lilybelle; 08-21-2007 at 11:42 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #21  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I've battled insomnia for 20 years with varying degrees of success...but I hate it, I never get used to it. (And yes if you can think of it, I have tried it - i have tried more insomnia cures than diets in my life) If a genie in a bottle came out and said "I could cure your insomnia forever - BUT you will gain 200 lbs " I would take the deal. That is how bad it sucks. I might even take "you would gain 50 and never ever be able to lose it"
Old 08-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #22  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! I have been so busy the past few days and I've eaten a whole lot of junk. My parents came into town Thursday night, and my sister and friend came in Friday night. Of course we had dinner out, then lunch out the next day. Saturday night was dinner at the future in-laws' house (also too much food and wine). Sunday was my bridal shower, with yet another bunch of food (I was relatively good with the main meal, but splurged on dessert). Yesterday my sister and my friend left, and I was super-busy at work, but my parents let me cook dinner so it was healthy. Of course, they brought over some cookies and candy though so I ate a cookie and five pieces of chocolates. And no exercise the whole time because I was so busy.

I did get a new scale as a bridal shower present though, yay! Now I can confirm that despite the fact that my old scale read me at 130 Friday morning (for the first time in a long time), my new scale read me at 134.5 this morning. :angry: I guess it's not too bad considering how much I've been eating and considering that I knew my old scale was off by at least 3 lbs. At leats now I can trust my scale again.

Allison, so sorry about your poor old dog!

Lily, congrats on the new car!

Anne, good luck with the triathlon training!

Hi to everyone else! OMG I am so exhausted. Luckily my parents left at 8pm last night and my fiance and I had a couple hours to chillax. We went to sleep at 9:15 and were still exhausted this morning. Tonight is my second fitting of my wedding dress (all they did was put in a bustle), so my mom's going to come with me to see how to do up all the laces. We've had yet more wedding drama and have fired our wedding coordinator, and we're meeting with a new one tomorrow. Ugh, six weeks out from the wedding and I did not need this additional stress.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #23  
Working My Way Back Down

Ennay, I'm sorry to hear you can't sleep. My DH has chronic insommnia, and over the years has taken a number of drugs, with varied success. The resulting sleep deprivation is very hard to live with, I know. Hope you get some rest soon.

Lily - I had to laugh at the car swapping that's going on at your house! We often end up buying two "new" cars at the same time. Seems like when one of us gest a new vehicle, the other just gets the bug too. I'm ahead at them moment, due to totally my car in April. DH's truck though is going through a period of expensive repairs, so we'll see how long he holds out.

Jessica - sounds like you had a good time, and the damage is not too great. Pre-wedding activities are a lot like a holiday season - something to get through as best you can. Sorry to hear you're having to find a new coordinator at this late date. Lots of deep breaths and um, how about a little exercise to relieve the stress?

DH's birthday is today, and he wanted a yellow cake with chocolate frosting. I baked the cake last night, and the whole house smelled heavenly! I'm not a big fan of cake to eat, but if I could have eaten that smell..... And I got up early and frosted it so he can look at it all day. Good thing he's skinny and never seems to gain anything, as he's the one eating most of this cake.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #24  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

I was having the best day today even though it's been raining. I was out running errands and shopping for clothes and cowboy boots (see the Fall Clothes thread). But then I came home to a call from my disability insurance company. They are really trying hard to drop me from their policy and it's very upsetting and stressful which leads me to cycle up or down with my moods. Not good.

Robin & Mel - there really is a magic diet pill - you just have to be mentally ill to be able to take it :^}

Ennay - I struggle with insomnia and if it goes on to a second day in a row, it seriously affects the balance of my mood disorder.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #25  
Mel

Quote:
If a genie in a bottle came out and said "I could cure your insomnia forever - BUT you will gain 200 lbs " I would take the deal. That is how bad it sucks. I might even take "you would gain 50 and never ever be able to lose it"
Be careful what you wish for! That's how I gained the first 30 pounds of my excess 65+. My chronic pain and insomnia was diagnosed as fibromyalgia. The first medication I was prescribed had the nasty effect of weight gain which my doc refused to tell me about. But I do feel for you...I never slept for about 11 years. It was HORRIBLE.

mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #26  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

My sympathies ennay. I have never had insomnia but I have been sleep deprived (my daughter is 2 so it is all fresh in my mind) Lack of sleep is no fun at all. Neither of my kids were great sleepers in their infancy. My daughter still wakes up in the middle of the night to pee and I have to help settle her back down. But this is only once a night, plenty of time for the REM cycle to kick in so it doesn't interfere with day to day life. But I do remember.

Anyhow a big hug to you.

The heat came back here. Its 100 today. Luckily I got all my exercise done early.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #27  

ennay, I have been an insomniac since childhood. I adhere as rigorously as possible to consistent waking and sleeping times, try not to nap (except during pregnancy or marathon training), no caffeine after lunch, and on the third sleepless night, it's the Ambien fairie for me. Only sleeping pill I've ever found that works. Good luck.

And now, to bed.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #28  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Anne - jeeezow we really are twins. The part I am struggling with is in April suddenly ambien stopped working. I am like you in that I am very stingy in how I used ambien to prevent dependence. Never on the first night. Never more than 1 a week or 3 a month. At least a 2 week vacation from it any time I have been at the 3/month level. A half dose most of the time. Losing the psychological edge of "well if I dont fall asleep I can take the ambien" really hurts. But I will try the ambien fairy again tonight.

I did take a brief nap today because I wasnt functional. Walking in to walls kind of stupor. MIL is visiting and ALL day she kept saying "go lie down go lie down". I went hardcore to the diabetic diet today since that seems to help and I havent had caffeine in 3 weeks.

Mel - notice I said CURE, not treatment. I would take the deal only for the 100% guarantee that I would never ever suffer from it again. I would guess I carried around 30 lbs BECAUSE of insomnia...fatigue makes me hungry...too tired to get up at 5 to work out spiraling into more fatigue.

Last edited by ennay; 08-21-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!
It's surprising how quickly a week of holidays can go by. I haven't got anywhere near the sewing project I wanted to do and I should go see my Mother.
I think today I'll hang around home. Cardio, weights and some nice clean grazing.
WRT the shopping thread ... I'll have a bunch of stuff for GoodWill by tomorrow. I'll pack it up and take it to the store near Mom's.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I would guess I carried around 30 lbs BECAUSE of insomnia...fatigue makes me hungry...too tired to get up at 5 to work out spiraling into more fatigue.
Yep, it's official. We're twins. I can't keep my hands out of the granola bars when I'm overtired, or any sugary lower-fat stuff. It has just been an exhausting week for me too, and I "accidentally" ate about half a box of vanilla wafers yesterday. Just sleepwalking through it. Anyway, vanilla wafers are now banned from the house, DH is going to keep his commitment to be home at a reasonable time to help, and I went to bed at what 7:30 or 8.

You know, I was going to skip my run this morning because I'm still exhausted, but I put my stuff out last night and I'm going now. I am now 10 lbs up, and I don't need that.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote